main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[Crazy Idea] How I would have improved the "love story" aspect of the prequels.

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Esperanza_Nueva, Nov 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Rhonderoo is correct, fat bird. Your post was not cool. Discuss the topic at hand. We have enough threads in which you can discuss your reasons for hating the love story.

2. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Which he does in Revenge of the Sith when he suspects that Padme and Obi Wan have been conspiring (and perhaps cheating) against him. Watch after Anakin has just had his first dream about Padme and she suggests they seek out Obi Wan; Anakin casually brushes it off with a frustrated but quick retort. Yet his paranoia concerning Obi Wan grows. When Anakin experiences his second dream, Obi Wan is now present and Padme is no longer calling Anakin's name; Anakin subsequently takes an accusatory tone towards Padme but drops it just as quickly. On Mustafar, however, all of his suspicions violently explode to the surface like the erupting landscape behind him. The catalyst? Obi Wan's sudden and damning appearance at the foot of Padme's ship! It's a perfectly timed image that says more than a thousand pages of dialogue ever could.

Originally, Lucas had Palpatine hinting that Padme was being unfaithful to further incense Anakin. He then felt it was "too much", however, and pulled that material out. The love triangle is now more implicit and only exists in Anakin's mind. And it has only formed through Anakin's inability to think rationally and put his feelings into check. That's much more compelling - to me, at least - than Lucas having drawn up true rivals for Anakin's affection. It says bags about Padme's devotion and Anakin's embracement of the Dark Side.

3. Esperanza_Nueva

Esperanza_Nueva Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 23, 2003
    Sorry, I should have specified that I meant it would give opportunity to show those shades of anger and jealousy in AotC. I agree with what you said about RotS and I really like the observations you made about Anakin's dreams. :)

4. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    I like the Love Story as is. I'm not really one of those people who goes for the whole Love Triangle Story lines. A lot of times they just don't really work for me if at all.

5. Loco_for_Lucas

Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 15, 2002
    There was a love triangle in King Arthur.

6. darthzeppo

darthzeppo Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 21, 2005
    But thats only one version of King Arthur. There are a few that don't include the love triangle at all. Thats the nature of legends - to change over time.

7. Circle_Is_Complete

Circle_Is_Complete Jedi Youngling star 3

May 20, 2005

I am glad I wasn't the only one who thought this. Whoever decided a timeless piece of history needed a love triangle added to make it interesting was out of thier mind.

8. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    But the union of the Jedi Council and the Galactic Senate was in trouble and the forbidden union of a Jedi and a Senator was reflective of this.

How?

The senate turned against the jedi and sided with Palps, I don't see how amidala's behaviour reflected that.

If anything the analogy works in reverse because it was Anakin who turned against the jedi and sided with Palps .

g

9. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    Because the Jedi were under the Senate's thumb and only did what the Senate commanded. They were stifling the Force and allowing corruption to fester and spread. One example of this is the surprise Qui Gon expressed when Shmi told him that the reason for slavery on Tatooine was that "the Republic doesn't exist out here". Later on, Qui Gon, bound only by his obligation to his mission as assigned by Chancellor Valorum, actually told Shmi that he "didn't come here to free slaves". The Jedi had absolutely no regard for Anakin's mother after he'd been accepted amongst their order, either. While attachments may have been forbidden, the least they could have done - as reward to Shmi for giving up her only child and as a means of quelling Anakin's fears - would have been to secure her freedom. But the Republic had no jurisdiction on Tatooine and the Jedi couldn't care less. Once Palpatine became the new Supreme Chancellor, they were well and truly screwed. And yes - it was their fault to the extent that they'd willfully surrendered their autonomy to a political system (and one in serious decline) as opposed to surrendering it to the Force.

10. anakin_luver

anakin_luver Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2005
    It would be just so ... cliche. Anakin and Padme didn't need another person to get in the way of their romance. They already had obstacles that they were fighting. Padme's "Senator self", Jedi Order, etc etc. This was an original idea. We don't need to Hollywoodize everything to make it worth watching. But I like your idea about Bail caring for Leia even more. Because it's Padme's daughter. That would be interesting to see. But I think this whole idea would just complicate things even further.

11. battlewars

battlewars Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    the love story is just too simple is why people dont like it, the facts are they were in an intense situation and anakin was obsessed with padme, and padme was looking (at least you get that sense in the deleted scenes) that she wantes to settle down with someone

12. Loco_for_Lucas

Aug 15, 2002
    If Padme were corrupt, maybe, but she was "one of the good ones."

13. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    If we go right to ROTS yes they did turn on the Jedi. But before it even get's there the senate was still on the side of the Jedi.

14. Loco_for_Lucas

Aug 15, 2002
    But Padme never turned on Anakin or the Jedi, so how can the relationship between Padme and Anakin reflect that?

15. BrideofVader

BrideofVader Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 18, 2005
    I agree there needs to be a love triangle, but Bail need not be younger in order to fill that role. However, he's not a good choice, he is a devoted husband. A character could have been created who shared Padme's political vision and had obvious feelings for her, but whom she only saw as a friend.

However, Padme's only other love was the Republic, and its Liberty and Democracy.

16. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    Jesus... why does every point get strung out when it's a positive interpretation of the prequels, especially Attack of the Clones? I think we're getting considerably off track here - AGAIN. Here is the bottom line: Anakin and Padme hooking up was as awkward and ominous as the union between the Jedi and the Senate. I never claimed it had any deeper resonance or layers of meaning. The broader parallel, however, whether it was intended or not, exists. I personally find it compelling. This is my final post on the matter.

17. Loco_for_Lucas

Aug 15, 2002
    You can't really prove the parallel, but it exists? You know I respect you, my friend, but you can't really say the broad parallel exists if you can't prove it and it won't stand up to deeper scrutiny. As it is, a good point should strengthen, not dissipate, when looked at closer. :p

18. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    Because the Jedi were under the Senate's thumb and only did what the Senate commanded. They were stifling the Force and allowing corruption to fester and spread

[/scratches head] how does the union between padme and anakin reflect this ? unless you're suggesting that padme was stifling anakin and allowing corruption to spread .

19. Ruthio

Ruthio Jedi Youngling star 2

May 24, 2005
    I didn't really dig the "Love story" in the prequel trilogy. Anakins and padme "Love" felt artifcial...why did Anakin love her again?:oops: I mean couldn't Padme tell Anakin had a few mental problems, but she ignored them because Anakins happens to be really attractive IMO. Padme was more mature then Anakin, she was a senator he was a war hero...who played gameboys in his off time. It all seemed they only hooked up cause they appeared to be the best looking people in he movies [not like anyone else was ugly]. ATOC did a bad job of telling us this "love story"...to be honest it was probaly a physical thing IMO.

20. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    lol at the gameboy comment.

Anyways, the impression that I got was that Padme got hot and bothered by the thought of a "secret love" (ooooOOOH!!) Anakin on the other hand was an obsessed nut that dreamed about her for 10 years... In the end, she got knocked up, so she had to stick with Anakin. Anakin on the other hand went even farther off the deep end tried to choke her to death not to mention treating her like a possession rather than a person.

Anakin and Padme were straight out of Jerry Springer... :eek:

21. battlewars

battlewars Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    bottom line anakin was obsessed and finally padme broke down because of it

22. Rubberdirky

Rubberdirky Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 14, 2005
    Casting an actor to play opposite of Portman would have helped the love story immensly. (yeah, I am bitter, I know!)

23. RamRed

RamRed Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002

What makes you think that the love story needed improving? What makes you think that every SW fan believes that the Anakin/Padme love story needed improving?

And when are we going to be spared of people insisting that they could have done a better job than Lucas in regard to the PT? God, I'm getting sick of it.

24. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    It's simple really. Anakin needed competition in AotC for Padme. I would have casted a younger actor as Bail Organa (don't get me wrong, I love love LOVE Jimmy Smits) and had Padme in a relationship with him coming into AotC. Anakin meets up with Padme again still having a childhood crush on her, but finds her with this politician guy: Bail. Not only does this give us a love triangle, which lets face it always does the trick, but also allows for the perfect opportunity for us to see shades of anger and jealousy in Anakin. Basically, instead of Anakin and Padme sitting around debating over how they'd be living a lie, we'd have Anakin stealing Padme from Bail, which in my opinion is a lot juicier and more entertaining

yeah, it needed something to liven it up .
    what if there was no Jedi celibacy thing and Padme was married to Ben and anakin becomes her lover, kinda like the Arthurian triangle .
    It would've also added some dynamism to the matter of Ben and anakin falling out .

25. RurouniKJS

RurouniKJS Jedi Youngling star 2

May 4, 2005
    I like the idea of a love triangle; I thought Anakin's perception of one involving Obi-Wan gave their final scenes a lot of extra bite. But I also agree that it's probably proper that, in AOTC, Anakin alone is the one to awaken the embers of passion in Padmé's heart. It's just that the AOTC love story was so poorly developed and that the male lead was so unlikeable. By comparison, ROTS Anakin is a sweetheart, and despite some truly wretched lovey-dovey dialogue in that balcony scene, their love affair still comes off as genuine in a way that it didn't in the previous movie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.