main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Creche Thread: New Topic- Cliffhangers: Necessary or Evil?- LISTS UPDATED 5-31

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Creche_Master, Aug 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheMacUnleashed

TheMacUnleashed Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2009
    I usually try to keep writing, just a sentence or two each day. It's slow, but gets the chapter written. Otherwise, I try for a bit of variety -I'll work on a one-shot or a new story, or I'll try listening to different music.

2. Creche_Master

Creche_Master Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 13, 2005
    Lists are updated. :)

3. mujapple-juicey

mujapple-juicey Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2008
    Oh burnouts...

I just keep thinking that it'll go away eventually. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. If it stays, then I guess that's just what's meant to be. :p

>(fish)

4. SithGirl132

SithGirl132 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    Thankfully, I haven't had a lot of burnout issues lately, or at least not writing-wise. It's kind of annoying to get my best inspiration and do some of my best work just when I'm busy enough with school that I really can't afford to be writing. And it has been made worse by a rather research-intensive story I'm in the middle of.

I understand where burnout would come from on a long story, though. It's kind of difficult to keep a long story going, and I feel that I'd face this issue if I allowed my pet story to drag on too long. I'll have to sit down and write it over the summer, or I think it'll start doing strange things.

5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    I haven't experience burnout yet -- I stick to one shots mostly but have participated in long challenges -- I find that writing a sentence to a paragraph a day works as well as writing past the scene where I'm stuck so I can go back and figure out how to get to that future point. :D Song lyrics or stray dialogue will get me thinking of something I want to include in a piece I'm writing. Then I hurry and jot down the notes before it vanishes [face_laugh]

6. ShadowJ

ShadowJ Jedi Youngling

Oct 3, 2006
    NAME: My real name is Larkin. LIR is my Fanfic Archives name.

LOOKING FOR: Master

ERA: I read all, but I write Pre/Post Eras, as well as Clone Wars era

FAVE CHARACTERS: Captain Rex, Mara Jade, Tahiri, Atton Rand, Revan, The Exile, Kreia, Boba Fett, and Jania Solo.

STRENGTHS:[.b] Action, drama, humor, and romance.

WEAKNESS: Syntax, word traps, and grammar mistakes.

I LOVE TO WRITE: KOTOR, Clone Wars, NJO and beyond.

NO WAY WILL I EVER WRITE:...with canon movie characters because I fear I'll mess them up (Maybe something a master could help me build confidence on?)

RANDOM FACTS AND FUN INFORMATION ABOUT ME:

I have just about every The New Essential Guide.... resource books for SW. I am also a non-published science fiction writer. I have been writing for about 10 years but most of that has been with on-line PBB (play-by-board) formats.

LINK TO A SAMPLE OF MY WRITING (if onsite sample is available): I do not have any on this site, but I did pull and excerpt from a looooong Post NJO fanfic I did. I uploaded it onto my server, so no advertisements and such, a blank template so masters can get a good feel of my writing.

Sample Post is here.

7. Creche_Master

Dec 13, 2005
    Lists are updated. :)

New Topic: The Creche is Up for Adoption!

As many of you probably don't know, I am about to graduate medical school. I will be starting my general surgery residency in July in Massachusetts. Between moving out of my apartment to my dad's, finding a place to live out east, moving there, and doing my training before actually starting residency, I don't anticipate a lot of time to upkeep the lists and topics. I just wanted to thank everyone for a great run! I've enjoyed being the Creche Master greatly. [:D]

That being said, the Creche needs a new Master!!

NAME: the Creche
    ERA: All of 'em!
    FAVE CHARACTERS: The ones who live in the GFFA
    STRENGTHS: Looking for someone who logs in regularly, will keep the lists in good order, and can brainstorm to come up with great discussion topics.
    RANDOM FACTS AND FUN INFORMATION ABOUT ME: I'm an institution on the FanFic boards for hooking newbies up with oldbies to help them around. This may be a moot point when the boards move. :p

Please, if you're interested, PM me at my regular screenname: The Musical Jedi. I don't log into this sock very often.

Thanks again to everyone!! [:D]

8. Zadann_MaRanna

Zadann_MaRanna Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 21, 2009
    NAME: Zadann_MaRanna

ERA: All, like Beyond though.

FAVE CHARACTERS: Shado Vao but all of them are cool...

STRENGTHS: Like writing with OC's, creating background, etc.

WEAKNESS: I think it would be hard for me to write with pre-existing characters.

I LOVE TO WRITE: Beyond

NO WAY WILL I EVER WRITE: Primarily love story revolving.

RANDOM FACTS AND FUN INFORMATION ABOUT ME: well... Just talk to me and you'll get something out of me [face_peace]

LINK TO A SAMPLE OF MY WRITING (if onsite sample is available): Nothing onsite as of right now.

Just wanted to do this to see if I can find a mentor even though this thread is quite quiet....

9. Goddess_At_Heart

Goddess_At_Heart Jedi Padawan star 2

Mar 20, 2010
    NAME: Goddess_At_Heart

LOoKING FOR: Master

ERA:Beyond, perferably.

FAVE CHARACTERS: All Skywalker-Solo Family, Kyp Durron

STRENGTHS: Uhhhh, Plots?, Making up new characters.

WEAKNESS: I'm awful at catching the readers attention.

I LOVE TO WRITE: Beyond The Saga

NO WAY WILL I EVER WRITE:Anything that has to do with the Preqels

RANDOM FACTS AND FUN INFORMATION ABOUT ME: I make a lot of jokes, so don't take them to seriously. And well, I don't know anything else.

LINK TO SAMPLE OF MY WRITING(if onsite sample is available): UM, Nothing onsite right now.

I have a good concept of this site but the writing always gets to me. Cool...[face_peace] LOL!

Um. Since this topic seems so dead, its OK if no one adopts me. [face_whistling]

10. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    Name: Skywalker_T-65

Looking for: Master

Era: I read all but have only posted to the Saga

Favorite Characters: My favorite characters are: Anakin Skywalker, Luke Skywlaker, Obi-Wan and pretty much any other Jedi from the PT (and a few from the EU).

Strengths: My strength is in my plots, and my characters.

Weakness: My weakness is in action and romances (maybe haven't really tried yet).

I love to write: I love to write crossovers. But i also have a fondness for normal and time travel fics.

No way will i ever write: I will never ever write a "slash" fic i really don't like those.

Random facts: I like to write and can post really quickly.
    link to a sample: Black Moon Jedi

11. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    NAME: FelsGoddess

LOOKING FOR: Padawan

ERA: I prefer Beyond, but I'll do Saga.

FAVE CHARACTERS: Fels, Solos, Ben Skywalker, Wedge Antilles

STRENGTHS: Angst, kids POV, drama

WEAKNESS: Action. I lose some of the emotional writing I like to do in multi-post pieces.

I LOVE TO WRITE: Emotionally driven pieces that capture the conflict and essence of characters.

NO WAY WILL I EVER WRITE: Time-travel pieces. The whole going back in time, changing the future bit is not for me.

RANDOM FACTS AND FUN INFORMATION ABOUT ME:

I'm a freelance reporter and work at home, so I'm always at the computer. I've been writing fan fiction for years. I recently came back from an extended hiatus. I've never had a padawan.

LINK TO A SAMPLE OF MY WRITING (if onsite sample is available): The Pyre
    More in my profile.

12. FelsGoddess

Sep 5, 2004
    I've taken Zadann_MaRanna as my padawan. :)

13. Zadann_MaRanna

Zadann_MaRanna Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 21, 2009
    [face_blush]

I'm working on being the best now :D lol

14. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    I've taken Skywalker_T-65 as my padawan.

15. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    And i am going to do my best to be a good one too.:)

16. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    Hello all!

For those who don't know me I'm Lily and I've been lurking on the fanfic forums for years, and I've just adopted the Creche from the talented The Musical Jedi. Many thanks to her for all the hard work she put into this thread!=D=

17. Takianna

Takianna Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    Woo Hoo! Glad to see this is gonna keep going. It's a great resource for newbies.

18. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Thank you for volunteering to keep the Creche going, Lilly! :)

=D==D= to TMJ for the wonderful job and all the hard work you put in!

19. Creche_Master

Dec 13, 2005
    Here is a new topic to keep things going...

Distractions-Other Media

Almost all writers have had that time when they are happily writing a fic, when all of a sudden they watch a new show, read a book, or see a movie that is completely all consuming that before you know it you?ve written half a dozen fanfics in this other genre and your previous fics have all fallen to the side. I know for me this is a constant problem I face as a writer, and it is always difficult to jump back to an old story when your attention is on something completely different. If so, how do you deal with this and avoid neglecting any stories?

20. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    2 things: 1st, Good job Master!:) It is good to see that someone is keeping the thread going. 2nd, I have very bad luck with distractions. For example i was going to write a Halo/SW crossover a while ago but then Bleach came in and the rest is history. So my advice would be if possible don't let your new show/movie/book whatever become the all consuming thing in your life. Well that is all the advice i have.

21. Takianna

Takianna Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    I really don't get distracted. When I find something else I like, I always twist it into something I can write about Star Wars. I guess I have a one track mind. LOL

22. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Congrats, Lily!!

I don't usually have that problem - after writing only SW for so long, that's what my brain seems to be hardwired for. I've been getting more into writing NSW (especially since we have our pretty Non-Star Wars Fan Fic board), but SW ficcing is still dominant.

23. FelsGoddess

Sep 5, 2004
    Congratulations, Lily!

I don't have that problem. I've only written a small handful of NSWFF. Most of the pieces. It's more other forms of media that steal my attention rather than fandoms.

24. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Kudos to Lilly for taking over the thread @};-

~~

I do one shots and challenges so even though I'm very very distracted by a particular fandom at the moment I can still throw in an SW viggie or songfic here and there LOL

~~

This wonderful distraction came about soon after I started writing altogether so I don't feel like my SW preoccupation was stolen away [face_laugh]

;)

~~

25. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    My writing doesn't tend to get distracted all that much... I might write a few fics for other fandoms every now and then but most of my writing stays with SW. I think part of that is that I'm more comfortable with writing the SW characters and the fandom tends to be much friendlier than most of the others.
    Now what I read is a whole 'nother story. I get stuck on one fandom for a few weeks and read pretty much only that fandom and then I rotate to the next one! 8-}

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.