main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Creche Thread: New Topic- Cliffhangers: Necessary or Evil?- LISTS UPDATED 5-31

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Creche_Master, Aug 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Creche_Master

Creche_Master Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 13, 2005
    Congrats to all our new Master-Padawan pairs and Happy New Year everyone! =D=

Lists Updated: 1-1-2011

New Discussion: Masters: How do YOU Challenge your Padawan?

All of us Masters have our own way of teaching and everyone has their own style and methods to helping our Padawans become greater writers. How do you teach your Padawan?

2. aalagartassle

aalagartassle Jedi Master star 4

Jan 11, 2011
    NAME: aalagartassle

LOOKING FOR: Master

ERA: Post saga

FAVE CHARACTERS: Han Solo, Ax Eldon, Ventress,

STRENGTHS: originality, using cannon

WEAKNESS: paragraphing, itlaics, grammar

I LOVE TO WRITE: just the one storyline to it's finality

NO WAY WILL I EVER WRITE: Love story

RANDOM FACTS AND FUN INFORMATION ABOUT ME: I like SW trivia. First time writing fan fic. Will learn.

LINK TO A SAMPLE OF MY WRITING: Undeniably Evil [in post saga]
    [I had no idea what a beta was on Monday! ]

3. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    Masters: How do YOU Challenge your Padawan?

Well, for a while, there was Words of the Week, which is vocab in the form of the following from yourdictionary.com... (And as for challenging someone: a step at a time.)

Amphigory (noun)
    Pronunciation: ['am-fi-gawr-ee]

Definition: A parodic piece of nonsense writing.

Usage: Amphigory is a word that may refer to any piece of writing, including verse, song, or prose, that doesn?t make sense. An amphigory is very often a parody of some other, more familiar piece of writing or song. The burlesque connotations of the word amphigory (spelled originally ?amphigouri?) have been attested since the 1800s, as amphigory exemplifies the gross exaggeration and social commentary of burlesque theater. Webster?s Revised 1913 Dictionary explains that, upon further reflection or attention, amphigory ?proves to be meaningless.?

Suggested Usage: Use amphigory as an antidote to the boring parody and satire everyone else seems so captivated by. See, modern parody is often very banal and boring, and the sharp commentary rarely skewers its target. We suggest you start with a staged political parody involving two lizards running for president of the aquarium. Civil unrest quickly turns into a bloodbath; hence, an amphi-gory! (Get it?)

Etymology: While various ideas have been proposed as to the actual etymology of the word amphigory, the origin of the word remains uncertain. The French word amphigouri might come from a Greek term meaning ?to circle on both sides,? although others have suggested that the Greek suffix ?agoria, speech, might account for part of the meaning. As amphigory certainly conveys the idea of ?circular speech,? this etymology is commonly cited.

?Your Dictionary Editorial Staff

4. Iverna

Iverna Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2008
    I've been around this place for ages now, but never got up the courage to post here. Not sure why it takes courage but it does, at least for me. But here goes:

NAME: Iverna

ERA: Mostly Beyond, although I have a weakness for OT Saga as well.

FAVE CHARACTERS: Han, Leia, their kids, Jag Fel, Kyp Durron, and pretty much every scoundrel and flyboy out there.

STRENGTHS: Spelling and grammar, characterisation and (I think) dialogue. And I'm okay with action once I've figured out what needs to happen.

WEAKNESS: Plot, plot, plot. I would really really love having someone to discuss plot ideas and storylines with.

I LOVE TO WRITE: Character-driven stories with a healthy dose of action and a bit of romance. I love exploring characters and their relationships.

NO WAY WILL I EVER WRITE: Pure action, anything overly technical, or anything with too much angst. And I pretty much live in denial of post-NJO canon, so probably none of that either. [face_laugh]

RANDOM FACTS AND FUN INFORMATION ABOUT ME: I am... really bad at talking about myself. :p But I'll try. I love writing, drawing, painting, music, and language in general (I'm bilingual, German and English). I love chocolate and coffee. I have my quirks but apparently I'm pretty easy to get on with. Yeah. I really can't think of what to write here so I'll stop now. [face_laugh]

LINK TO A SAMPLE OF MY WRITING: It's all linked in my profile and my sig. :)

5. Iverna

Iverna Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2008
    Eeep! Forgot to check back in here - Ceillean and I have teamed up! [face_dancing] I'm very excited. :D

6. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    Congratulations, Iverna and Cei! =D=

Encourage them to participate in a challenge. During the proverb challenge (I think), Zadann and I exchanged several PMs discussing our proverbs and ways to tackle them. It helped us both. The challenges provide a great starting spot to write with. I also offer to go over their pieces before posting (looking for errors, helping with wording, ect). At the start, asking what they want to write provides a starting point. Also, working with their weaknesses. For example, if they have trouble with angst, help them write something in that category.

7. Tevase2

Tevase2 Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 12, 2011
    NAME: Tevase2

ERA: Before the saga but i may write something set in the saga ot beyond.

FAVE CHARACTERS: I love the characters Quinlan Vos and Obi Wan Kenobi

STRENGTHS: I don't really have any as of yet

WEAKNESS: I'm horrible at Grammar and spelling. I'm not really person who talks about them selves but i will try my best.

I LOVE TO WRITE:things that always end up the way it should be, not always the happy endings but just the way i think they should end.

NO WAY WILL I EVER WRITE: anything that is too......well i dont really know im sorta new at writing

RANDOM FACTS AND FUN INFORMATION ABOUT ME: I love to read, write, listen to music, the rain. Im addicted to tea and i suppose that it

LINK TO A SAMPLE OF MY WRITING : Its all on my profile

8. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    I have accepted Tevase2 as my padawan.:) Finally someone accepted me! I hope I can do what I need to here.

9. Luna_Nightshade

Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2006
    Congratulations, you two. If you have any questions or would like any help, just send up a flare or something!

10. EstarGuars

EstarGuars Jedi Padawan star 2

Mar 20, 2011
    NAME: EstarGuars

ERA: Rise of the Empire, New Republic

FAVE CHARACTERS: Cad Bane, Finn Galfridian, Quinlan Vos, Plo Koon, Corran Horn

STRENGTHS: Describing sentiments

WEAKNESS: Describing a character

I LOVE TO WRITE: Stories about the live and fall of a determinated person. Fantasy.

NO WAY WILL I EVER WRITE: A story only composed by Love

RANDOM FACTS AND FUN INFORMATION ABOUT ME: I love watching animals and I don´t have lots of friends because I haven´t discovered a person similar to me, or someone who could accept the things I like

LINK TO A SAMPLE OF MY WRITING:

11. Corellian_Ale

Corellian_Ale Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 3, 2008
    NAME: Corellian_Ale

LOOKING FOR: Padawan

ERA: Saga & Beyond

FAVE CHARACTERS: original characters, Luke, Han, Jag, Cade Skywalker, Jaina, Ben Skywalker, Thrawn, Vader, Wraiths & Rogues - AND Original Character!

STRENGTHS: characterization, writing original characters

WEAKNESS: mushy romance, detailed action sequences; Before the Saga

I LOVE TO WRITE: OCs & stories off the beaten path

NO WAY WILL I EVER WRITE: 'ships & cross-overs (it's a waste of everyones time if I do)

RANDOM FACTS AND FUN INFORMATION ABOUT ME: no padawans, but I think it's time I did. I'm the type of guy that will look at the films and see a minor or background character and think, what's his story?. Or while reading a novel, get the most random idea that would make a great story.

LINK TO A SAMPLE OF MY WRITING
    To Murder Selflessly

12. Creche_Master

Creche_Master Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 13, 2005
    A huge CONGRATS to our newest Master-Padawan pairs!=D= [face_dancing] To all the newbies out there remember that if you need help of any kind, my door is always open. Though if you want a quicker response, it is best to pm my LilyHobbitJedi name.

Lists Updated: 5-31-2011

New Discussion: Cliffhangers: Necessary Evils or Just Plain Evil?[face_devil]

We've all seen them and most of us (myself included) delight in the use of cliffhangers. The use of them, however is subjective because some people love then since it keeps the suspense going while other get seriously annoyed by them. Is there a right way or a wrong way to use cliffhangers? How many is too much? Masters do you encourage the use of cliffhangers?

13. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    Well... cliffhangers can be necessary and evil, and a necessary evil, and this isn't helping so I'll stop right there...

14. Corellian_Ale

Corellian_Ale Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 3, 2008
    If you're writing epics or multi-chapter stories, I think some version of a cliffhanger is a necessary evil. And it doesn't always have to have earth shattering potential either. Of course, how consequential they are all depends on what phase of the story you're involved with. You're only giving your readers a reason to come back and see what happens next. ;)

15. TheMacUnleashed

TheMacUnleashed Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2009
    Although not exactly a necessary evil, in a story that I might not read otherwise, the suspense that cliffhangers generate can keep me coming back. If it's a really good story that I'd be reading anyway, it's the icing on the cake; the thing that makes me want to get on my knees and beg the author to update, instead of waiting patiently like a good little reader.

That being said, I think that they should be used sparingly -if an author ends every chapter with one, it gets tiresome. Like any writing device, use them too often and the effect that they have on a reader's mind lessens.

16. Ubersue

Ubersue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 1, 2008
    I'm not a Master, so I know the question isn't directed at me... but I'm going to answer anyway because it's fun. :p

I think the overuse of cliffies happens when either writers aren't confident enough that their readers will continue reading unless there's a big cliffie, or when writers don't realize that there are more subtle ways of keeping a reader guessing. Sometimes just having unresolved subplots is enough to keep someone interested, and you can wrap up a scene very nicely.

I would tell a newbie writer that sometimes just planting a question, a detail that seems a little off, can be far more interesting for a reader than a big dramatic event. I think the cliffhanger is just one tool (kind of a bludgeoning one, really) amongst many tools for piquing a reader's curiosity.

17. Arin_Atona

Arin_Atona Jedi Master star 4

Jul 10, 2004
    Oldbie returning after a long absence.

NAME: Arin_Atona

ERA: All

FAVE CHARACTERS: TK-421. And dude with the cape.

STRENGTHS: Nothing a little deodorant won't fix.

WEAKNESS: Finding time to write.

I LOVE TO WRITE: Pretty much anything that inspires me. I love to write original characters and come up with new cultures, places, etc.

NO WAY WILL I EVER WRITE: An autobiography.

RANDOM FACTS AND FUN INFORMATION ABOUT ME: Two cats; one lazy, one psychotic.

LINK TO A SAMPLE OF MY WRITING (if onsite sample is available): http://boards.theforce.net/beyond_the_saga/b10477/21290721

18. Niclas

Niclas Jedi Youngling

Jul 14, 2011
    Hola! :)

NAME: Niclas

ERA: Any (although I have only read up to Balance Point in the NJO)

FAVE CHARACTERS: the regulars...Luke, Obi-Wan, Han, Lando, C-3PO. I also enjoy the military characters quite a bit, and OCs are always fun as well. I really like the Solo kids too, but I haven?t read all of the NJO books so I am worried about spoilers!

STRENGTHS: I am quite meticulous and once I have my ideas lined up, I go for it!

WEAKNESS: twisting and turning through a major plot arc! Using too many exclamation points....!

I LOVE TO WRITE: Actually, I am not too sure. I used to read a lot on the boards years ago, plus tons of the novels. Recently, I started reading the NJO books and wanted to jump in and give fanfic a shot! That being said I would like to work on short story/novella type pieces with some plot development, a good bit of action, politics and a bit of romance. (I know that is pretty much everything :) ) Maybe a few vignettes as well, but I am wary of fics without plots. Some people do brilliant, short character studies here on the boards, but I am not sure if I am one of them.

NO WAY WILL I EVER WRITE: over-the-top mush...I like a bit of romance, but it is tough to do well, in my opinion. Also, the words ?husband-mine? (I remember reading one of the first NJO books and Mara calling Luke things such as ?husband mine? and I just cringed every time!)

RANDOM FACTS AND FUN INFORMATION ABOUT ME: I studied math, bio, music, and foreign languages in college. The only creative writing I have done is in math (oddly enough) or in French (for a course, of course :D ). I like playing music and dressing fancy :)

LINK TO A SAMPLE OF MY WRITING:

Let me know if you're interested!

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot to say, I would very much appreciate a master who could help me with plot structuring, plot ideas and that sorta thing!

19. rebel_cheese

rebel_cheese Jedi Master star 4

Jul 6, 2006
    Oldbie making his return to the boards. It's hard to believe that I am an "oldbie" but I am. It's such a weird feeling.

NAME: rebel_cheese

LOOKING FOR: Master, until I can get re-acquainted with the boards. This will probably be somewhat short-term.

ERA: Beyond the Saga. I don't have much inspiration for Before The Saga or The Saga, I always like looking into the future.

FAVE CHARACTERS: *shrugs* I like to write about anybody and anything in Beyond. I used to have much stronger preferences but they've faded over time. I do dislike Boba Fett fairly intensely, though.

STRENGTHS: I'm told that my female characters are really good and so is the emotion in my writing.

WEAKNESS: Conversely, I've been told that my male characters are a bit weak and my plots can derail.

I LOVE TO WRITE: Anything, but I really like telling action-packed stories with a ton of intrigue, and use other factors such as romance and politics as seasoning for my literary confections. My stories used to be slower-paced but lately it seems that I'm concentrating more on plowing straight ahead.

NO WAY I WILL EVER WRITE: Super mush. I'm terrible at it and I'm not interested in mush for the sake of mush.

RANDOM FACTS AND FUN INFORMATION ABOUT ME: I love cats. I'm also single. :p

LINK TO A SAMPLE OF MY WRITING: I, Tahiri Veila is the current fic I am writing and going to concentrate on. I may go back and give "Beginning's End" another shot eventually as well, but not until I'm done writing (not necessarily posting) the current fic.

20. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    Well its been a while since I posted on here. As far as the new discussion goes, I will use Cliffhangers in my story, but only if the reviews are faltering (look on FF.net for said stories, I've only posted a couple multi-chapter ones here since no one reads them). Personally, when I am reading other stories, it is nice to have a couple cilffhangers to keep the interest going, but not too many or it can get annoying. Oh and if anyone needs help I am still working with Tevase, but I can help other newbies too (don't let the whole, only one star thing discourage you, I just don't post much).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.