main
side
curve

Cricket ODI tri-series: New Zealand, England and Australia

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by jp-30, Jan 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Well, it factors in wickets lost, and at the same stage you were a few wickets further down. But yes, DL often turns matches into farce.

2. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    There doesn't seem to be a better alternative to D-L. I think it works ok, since it rewards wickets in hand, and punishes the loss of wickets. It only looks bad on the odd occasion where it makes a team chase a total that is higher than what the team batting first posted IMO.

3. NorCalBirdz

NorCalBirdz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 28, 2004
    Strange that a thread about cricket would end up becoming the most popular of The Arena forum thus far.

Unfortunately, my knowledge of the game extends about as far as "Some strange form of baseball" :p

4. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Well, this thread's only got a few more days life in it. Then there'll be teh Chappell-Hadlee thread (maybe we'll just use this one), and then the Cricket World Cup thread should be a goodie... - except the time zones in the West Indies probably not as conducive to live chatting than the matches played out in this one. :(

5. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    Yes time zones may prevent 'live' discussion on matches, but the world cup has 16 countries involved, so hopefully it can be a wider discussion with many people.

Anyways, getting back to talking about that pathetic Australian team... I am absolutely appaled by their performance and unfortunately agree that England deserved the win.

I know know what it feels like to be an English supporter during the ashes.

6. Kyptastic

Sep 10, 2005
    I don't think the Australian performance was all that bad. The fielding, for the most part, was brilliant. Our 4 main bowlers (McGrath, Lee, Bracken and Hogg) all bowled well, and Watson showed some form with the bat. Our top order was unlucky in the fact that the conditions were perfect for the English opening bowlers, Plunkett in particular - quality swing bowling will trouble even the best batsmen.

7. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Oh I understand that. But 17 overs and the loss of only 35 runs seems a bit excessive, even if we were 5 down.

8. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    You should update the first post of this thread, Marcus. :p

I highly disagree with this. Our team is not pathetic, and neither did they play pathetically. It was England's day, and they get the credit.

Kypt said it well: "quality swing bowling will trouble even the best batsmen." Plunkett was a machine at the beginning.

9. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    England's day? Didn't they win their last 3 matches against Australia?

And what do you think about the resting of Gilchrist & Ponting for the NZ series?

10. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    They did indeed. They've been having a few good days it seems.

Sure, Australia missed some chances and fell apart, but I'm just saying that they're not pathetic. Calling it like that is too extreme.

And what do you think about the resting of Gilchrist & Ponting for the NZ series?

I've never been in favour of resting. I don't think they should ever rest, unless the player calls for it themselves. So there's no difference here.

Come to think of it, who will captain the side with the two of them out? [face_thinking]

11. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    I'm an extremest, it's all black and white to me... :p nah not really. So I will say that yes Australia did well when England batted, but loosing 5 wickets in approx. 10 overs? That is not the Australian team, they are better than that. As a whole their batting performance was almost completely pathetic.
    It has already been said that Michael Hussey will be (C) and Michael Clarke (VC). Haddin will be wicket-keeper.

12. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    Ah, I wasn't aware. Thanks.

What I'm getting at is... having failed miserably in the batting department, does that mean Australia's batting was, in fact, pathetic, or is it possible that England's bowling was so good that even if you batted at a good level, you're still capable of being thrashed...?

13. jedichef1

jedichef1 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 17, 2004
    I do agree that D/L is a farce but it is one way to make sure we get a result.

It was a good match though and we did play well, and well at the end of the day we won
    :p

14. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    Since the cricket nuts are all in here anyway...

[link=http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/australia/content/story/280166.html]Clark not selected for Australia's side in the world cup?![/link]

Why???

15. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    Probably because they needed Haddin as cover for Gilchrist.

16. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    I understand that, but wouldn't you put Clark above Tait at the moment? I would.

17. jedichef1

Aug 17, 2004
    I really can not understand this decision Clark was far more affective than Tait against us all thought the tour, the only real reason I can think that the would do this is because they feel that the wicket in the Windies will be quicker than the average track and his extra pace will be more usefull.

18. Kyptastic

Sep 10, 2005
    Gilchrist is taking Paternity leave for the first part of the World Cup apparently, so Haddin was an obvious selection.

Apparently, the wickets in the West Indies will suit Tait more than Clark - they don't bounce as much and are better for reverse swing than the pitches in Australia.

19. jedichef1

Aug 17, 2004
    That makes no sense at all seeing as Clark is the line and length bowler who will get it to move about, while Tait is out and out quick and would use the extra bounce.

20. Kyptastic

Sep 10, 2005
    Tait is more of a skidding bowler though - he doesn't rely on bounce to get wickets.

21. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    When I found that out I now see his non-selection for NZ making sense, gotta give the new guy some gametime prior to the world cup.

Still, Gilly wasn't in the greatest batting form in the latter stages of the tri-series. Let's hope that slump continues to the West Indies next month. :p

22. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    Or not. :p

Regarding the bowlers, I've never been fond of how the pitch will suit some bowlers. I just look at the in form bowler and think they should be chosen. :p

23. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    Oh sorry, I read that as 'Clarke', not Clark [face_blush] Perhaps I should've read the article.

24. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    Ummm... *looks at illegal mod edit after Marcus's post* [face_whistling] [face_whistling]

25. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    So, I thought Chappel Hadlee started Sunday - turn on the TV just now to see Aussie 136/9 off 48 overs. Holy crap!

:eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.