main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Critics' reviews for Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Palpadious, Dec 12, 2017.

1. The Deuteragonist

The Deuteragonist Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    @Christopher Blair

Canto Bight actually only takes up 7% of the film. I mean, I love the subplot myself because it gives me Harry Potter feels (and I love Finn). But when I first saw it in theatres, I was like, "That's it? This is what everyone was complaining about?"

Maybe it was just me, though.

2. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Well, some people also complained about endless senate-debates about taxes in TPM, which didn't really feature in the movie at all ;)

It seems that if you really dislike something, it can take a much more prominent place in your mind than it actually may have held in the movie. It's the point where passion for or against something overcomes the rational thought.

3. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
  4. The Deuteragonist

The Deuteragonist Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    Internet Critic Doug Walker once joked that "Revenge of the Sith" would be great as a silent film. Or at least something along those lines.

5. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Hayden Christensen is a frighteningly good actor in the quiet scenes, where his skills at facial emoting and body language carry the story very well. And Lucas in ROTS clearly knew there were some scenes where just letting the score and visuals do the work was better than any dialogue he could write.

6. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Redirected discussion:

So let me get this straight. No one's wrong for disliking a movie. Everyone likes what they like...but the critics were wrong for (supposedly) not liking TB Lebowski initially & are wrong for liking TLJ. Even though the critics are made up of individuals...& no one's wrong for not liking something. But the critics were wrong. Quite a brain-teaser you've constructed here.
    To compound this mess of an argument you've ended it with a complete falsehood. Lebowski initially received mixed-positive reviews. Many of the most prominent critics liked it. "Critical consensus that it was a bad movie". What??
    & who decides what movies do & don't deserve the ratings they get. You? What if you like a movie that's well reviewed & I say that the critics are wrong. What happens then? What happens if someone says you're wrong for saying the critics are wrong? One thing you seem to be unaware of is that the critics' job isn't to say which movies are objectively good or bad. They say whether they think each movie is good or bad. On that basis how is it even possible for them to be wrong?
    Finally, if it's ok I'll PM a list of my favourite movies to you. I'd like to know ones I'm wrong about o_O

7. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    For ****'s sake. Give your exhausted condesencion shtick a rest or I'll ban you until 2022. Discuss something... anything... without all of the melodramatic passing remarks about the person your are disagreeing with or the quality of their ideas for once in your life.

StoneRiver and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  8. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Re-reading it my post here was a bit condescending & snarky. At the time I thought the argument I was responding to was objectionable enough to warrant it. My mistake. I should’ve disagreed in a more civil manner. Will adjust my shtick accordingly.

9. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    My complaint was the opposite. Canto Bight felt incredibly rushed, and so it came across as an afterthought. I think the plot needed at least another five-to-seven minutes of screentime. And the First Order should have been involved there somehow.

godisawesome likes this.
  10. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Apparently the art book says that originally, Finn and Rose were opposed by a murderous warlord on Canto Bight, which both sounds more exciting... but also doesn't answer whether or not that warlord was tied to the First Order.

Canto Bight would have greatly benefited if the planet was being occupied by the First Order while our heroes were there, with Phasma herself installing a new regime, so that she could be the actual arc villain for the two. Heck, maybe she's even rounding up children to make Stormtroopers out of, and Finn frees them or something.

11. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
  12. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Forty years after the original, the saga grew up — and some of its fans couldn’t handle it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  13. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
  14. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Awesome to see The Last Jedi on the list. Aside from that, I feel so much personal pride that a Miami-born FSU alumnus directed the #1 movie on that list. ¡Dale, Noles!

Bor Mullet and ewoksimon like this.
  15. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I can't like that, sorry. :p

Bor Mullet likes this.
  16. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    Congrats to The Last Jedi! Phenomenal Star Wars film!

17. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    A. Critic praise TLJ.
    B ...
    C. TLJ is good or even passable Star Wars.

18. RP McMurphy

RP McMurphy Jedi Knight

Feb 8, 2018
  19. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    It's interesting to me that critic's favorable review of TLJ was centered around his perception of Luke's hero's journey and barely mentioned the character journey of the character, Rey, who was supposedly the protagonist of TLJ and the Sequel Trilogy. The only mention of Rey I really saw there was his praise of the "Rey's Theme" music. [face_thinking]

Glitterstimm and Jedi Ben like this.
  20. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    La, La Land, A Star is Born and The Last Jedi are the unholy trinity of incredibly overrated films on here.

leopardhk47 and Tusken Slayer like this.
  21. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    To be fair, they also buried the film directly below nearly 10 pretentious arthouse films in a row. :p

22. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    Luke hadn't been on the screen in over 35 years. People were SUPER excited to see him back in the action, and Hamill did a phenomenal job bringing the character back to life. I don't think it is intended to be a slight at Rey at all, people just went into TLJ hyped to see Luke Skywalker again. Then TLJ portrays him having an incredible hero journey, and it was what many folks took away from it. Luke Skywalker is Star Wars for some folks.

23. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I thought leaving Blade Runner 2049 and Arrival off and replacing them with Magic Mike XL and A Ghost Story was some kind of April Fool's joke but I guess not. If they were on the list and I missed it I apologize. I need some Dramamine after scrolling for 20 minutes straight. At least Inception and the Social Network made it. And Hereditary.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    Tusken Slayer and RP McMurphy like this.
  24. Tusken Slayer

Tusken Slayer Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 7, 1999
    LOL that indiewire list sounds like it was written by a pretentious elitist snob.

And the movies that made that list - my god it has been a terrible decade for film.

For the record my favorite sci-fi movies of the past decade are Logan and Bladerunner 2049. Both didn't make this list.

And the patronizing tone - "Star Wars grew up" - you gotta be trolling.

This is why in 2019 many people don't take the media seriously. They wrote an article talking about Russian bots and trolls attacking TLJ FFS. LOL @ the media.

25. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    We’re not supposed to take the entire media seriously because a few film critics have different opinions than we do? Lol at the populist extremists tearing down a core pillar of democracy because it doesn’t reinforce their every belief. They’re the problem, not the media.

That said, what’s absolutely criminal about that list is the omission of Rogue One. And Gravity. And Blade Runner 2049. :)

At least Tree of Life made it, though. One of my favorite movies of all time.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019