main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Critics' reviews for Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Palpadious, Dec 12, 2017.

1. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I totally agree. ESB handled darkness and subversion with ease and complexity. When this fails it just comes across as pretentious.

2. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    The Empire Strikes Back subversion = have the large battle at the beginning, and allow the movie to brilliantly taper off into a terrifying and intimate character drama, complete with a heart-stopping revelation.

The Last Jedi subversion = ignore all plot points from previous movies, have a chase / not-chase and a battle / not-battle. Oh, and have established characters do wacky and unexpected things. That'll show 'em!

Only good bit...

[​IMG]

3. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    I always wanted there to be a mathematical theorem, like Fermat's Last Theorem, that the Brandenburg Concertos could not mathematically be praised highly enough.

4. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    Most People on here when TLJ came out Loved it a loud minority didn't like it. all of my friends and family loved it. this notion that people didn't like TLJ is not true IMHO Solo as well most people on here and my friends and family all loved Solo!

5. Bob Effette

Dec 20, 2015
    There's no way really of quantifying whether the people who dislike The Last Jedi are in the minority or not. In my experience, as time goes on and the excitement of a new Star Wars movie dies down, many, many fans and casual viewers alike have reflected on The Last Jedi a bit more objectively and their assessment ranges from disappointment to outright hostility towards it.

I wasn't on the internet so much during the prequel era, so I can't really say what the reactions to those movies were, but I don't think that there has been as bitterly divisive an installment as Episode 8.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  6. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    I think Box Office says otherwise although that's not always the case Solo underperformed at the box office and most who saw it loved it Star Wars burn out was the problem with Solo I think. A movie comes out in December then again 5 months later a lot of people I talked to didn't even know Solo was out in the theater opening weekend and poor Marketing hurt Solo IMHO only 2 trailers could have used a third trailer and more TV Spots. As for TLJ ITs box office was pretty darn good that many people don't see a film if they hated it you have a lot of repeat viewers but I think the same about Avatar and Titanic two great films there box office speaks for itself Endgame as well now being the top grossing film of all time!

jeangreyforever likes this.
  7. Bob Effette

Dec 20, 2015
    Box office isn't an indicator of whether the movie is considered any good. People will have flocked to see it simply because it carries the "Star Wars" moniker. But that isn't an automatic gauge of their opinion of it being positive. I saw it twice at the cinema, because my son wanted to watch it again. I disliked it on both occasions (I actually dozed off during the second viewing)

I don't think it is a particularly good movie, and if you look around on this forum and the wider internet, you will find that there are just as many detractors of The Last Jedi as there are people who think it is great.

Avatar did phenomenally well at the box office as we all know, but ten years on, an objective assessment of that movie away from its own generated hype and flashy 3D effects is that it is rather cheesy and derivative movie. Many critics are less kind to it on reflection.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    devilinthedetails likes this.
  8. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    so if one fanboy see's the film 5 times he didn't see it 5 times because he absolutely loved it?:rolleyes: that's how these big blockbusters do good fans see it multiple times because they really like it. you can argue a film may have poor box office but its still a good film that I will buy.

9. Bob Effette

Dec 20, 2015
    Well I didn't bring box office into this, you did remember? You also made a pretty absolute statement here

That is patently untrue, because whilst many people liked it, many people did not like TLJ.

10. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    I did say IMHO It wasn't absolute. you didn't copy and paste my whole quote. I will bring up that there was a fan on here years ago that said even though he hated TPM he saw it 20 times thinking each subsequent time it would get better, it didn't:rolleyes:

11. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    @Leoluca Randisi knock it off. It is not for you to speak for other fans feelings or motivations. People are allowed to dislike any film, and say so in these forums. You don't have to agree, but stop talking about other fans and keep it about the films.

12. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    I said IMHO several times and there were polls on here to back up what I am saying. By saying IMHO I am admitting Its just my opinion I respect other posters opinion. :)

KyleKartan and Darth Buzz like this.
  13. Bob Effette

Dec 20, 2015
    You're right, I'll post the whole statement in the interests of fairness. Post#754

What I was getting at though, even if that is your opinion, is that it is suggests that you don't think anybody disliked it?

I think that there is enough evidence around to suggest that there are many who disliked it?

(Sorry if I am misinterpreting you here)

14. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I don't care how many times you say IMHO, that doesn't mean you can speak for other fans, or tell people that they're the "loud minority" or that if they see a film more than once that it means that they don't dislike it. Keep your comments about the films and not about other fans. Now, let's move on.

15. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    Critics loved The Last Jedi, GREAT FILM!

KyleKartan and MarcJordan like this.
  16. Bob Effette

Dec 20, 2015
    Many did, some didn't. A lot were just so/so about it.

Like everybody else really.

Snokewithspiderlegs73 likes this.
  17. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    When a professional critic’s review focuses on Luke Skywalker’s story and Mark Hamill’s acting, I have no problem taking it 100% seriously and at face value if they say they found it a good to great film. Hamill’s performance *is* of that caliber, and unlike the other controversial stories in the film, I’d argue the Luke story is largely complete and presented without nearly as many leaps of logic and characterization that plagues the other plots. Most of its debate among the fandom comes down to whether his characterization and actions seem consistent with his OT characterization, a far more subjective argument relying predominantly on long term investment in previous films, and area that I think most professional critics are much less likely to hold as that sacrosanct in a film that, whether they like it, love it, or hate it, they probably still largely classify as “genre film.”

It’s whenever a professional critics review starts to praise other plots in the story, or begins using grandiose language about the film “elevating” Star Wars, or “being needed,” that I start to give them the side eye... not because I think they’re bribed or crooked, but because I start to feel that we’re entering that area most people acknowledge where critics break almost entirely from mainstream audiences in taste and become more desperate for what they see as “fresh,” with occasional forays into “pretentious.” This can give their reviews an at times condescending and dismissive air, and expose what double standards and lack of care they have for what would otherwise be key foundational elements of drama in the film.

For instance, the Space Chase, to me, gets excused, praised, or tolerated far too much: it has all the plot consistency and characterization strength of a bad Michael Bay Transformers movie... maybe even worse. But I think professional critics give it a pass because they regard the strength of internal lore and technological feasibility as beneath them, because TLJ is ultimately a genre film to them, and because the tone of the storyline is unconventional and reconstructive, and those themes appeal to them more at face value, and because again, they don’t consider the characterization of genre characters that important, even of Holdo’s a walking contradiction of characterizations blatantly twisted to fit a clumsily written Poe story.

And I think something similar appears in the Rey and Kylo story. Do Rey’s actions make any sense as a follow up to TFA, on a basic human level? Nope! But I think they, like some fans, get caught up on the conceptual intrigue of the pseudo-Reylo story, and as professional critics who again regard genre films as having finite potential and seriousness, are willing to blow by and discount all the issues with her story because it’s a dark, angsty relationship featuring two good actors... even if it’s all done backwards, screws up the main protagonist, and treats the villain as something he’s not.

Incidentally, I think part of the reason valuing Luke’s story above everything else can so easily help make the movie good-to-great even if Rey’s story sucks is because professional critics probably don’t care that much about the soundness of the ST as one cohesive story but do care about what they got out of this singular film. Luke being the de-facto protagonist in the film’s structure helps this view: he’s got the most complete and well-executed story, and it ends as triumphantly as Johnson thought it should here. The fact that Luke *shouldn't* be in the climax of an ST film, or that he *needed* to pass the torch to Rey more soundly, or that Rey’s story being bad undermines the *entire ST conflict and chemistry* just doesn’t matter of you aren’t going to bother to take a longer, Trilogy long look at the film.

TLJ may be the perfect film for showing where professional critic priorities and biases can intertwine and break away from both mainstream audiences and hardcore fans. And the risk with that is that, while we often trust professional critics, there’s a reason their absolute favorite “artistic” movies tend to lack staying power with regular people - I’d say that you can see this in how little speculation and excitement TLJ left in its wake compared to TFA. Critical tastes are both more refined, and more weird, than they are necessarily “high quality.”

18. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Thank you Buzz, VERY COOL!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    Darth Buzz likes this.
  19. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    A great proportion of one star content intrinsic to the film is masked by the six, seven and sometimes eleven star reviews, out of five, that celebrate, however rightly you need to laud it, Hamill's tour de force.

devilinthedetails likes this.
  20. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I do think it pays to think of TLJ and AOTC as being two sides of the same coin: the strengths and weaknesses of one film are reversed entirely in the other. AOTC has an actually pretty clever and well constructed story with plenty of lore work, consistent characterization, and intrigue... but has poor acting and directing in comparison to most other films and to the other Star Wars films especially. TLJ, on the other hand, has exceptionally good acting and directing (in a cinematic sense) with Hamill himself earning all the accolades he received hands-down... but the film has an extremely poor story, messy, inconsistent characterization, bad lore work, and a too-clever-by-half approach to its plot.

When AOTC was done, it was a film easy to mock, but also easy to see where numerous cold ideas and concepts would spring from. When TLJ was done, it was a film you *could* use to teach advanced principles of cinematography and acting... but also left a kind of desolation in the franchise in its wake,

21. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    @godisawesome, I think that's a pretty fair way of looking at it. In a creative genre like science fiction or space fantasy I'm always drawn to the stories with strong characterization, overall well-constructed plot, and detailed lore, which as you say AOTC had. Meanwhile, especially in a science fiction/space fantasy film that is part of a saga, I will think that things like inconsistent characterization and bad lore work will sink it for me. AOTC isn't perfect (no Star Wars film is) but it definitely is much more to my tastes than TLJ. To me, good acting can't cover characterization that doesn't work for me, though I will admire the acting effort and give the actor praise, I will still critique the movie for those flaws, which will tend to weigh more heavily for me than the acting performance itself.

godisawesome likes this.
  22. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    The problem is that actors, especially in TLJ's case, don't determine anything regarding the story. Much of the time they are beholden to the material that is written and there is only so much you can do in that position if the overall story is not good. I can pretty much always watch AOTC (and every other prequel for that matter) because it is actually an ambitious expansion on not only the setting but also the themes and characters within its own saga in regards to the actual content of its story. TLJ tries the tired routine of convincing the audience that it's pushing things forward while not really doing so. This goes without mentioning the idea that people will pretty much have different views on what good acting was in a certain role and frankly, I've found far more compelling arguments behind Hayden's portrayal of Anakin, for example, than any surrounding the general demeanor and portrayal of say, Finn or Poe and often even Rey.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  23. Darth Buzz

Jun 25, 2018
    85 score on metacritic, second highest of the Saga! Great honor in such a respected franchise ^:)^

jeangreyforever likes this.
  24. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    I don't pay attention to Rotten Tomatoes or metacritic scores.

25. Darth Buzz

Jun 25, 2018
    Neither do I tbh, but since this is the critic thread it is relevant.