main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Index Crossover Index and Discussion

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Diamond_Revelation, Jun 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Dn't know much about Harry Potter, DWH, so can't comment on that.

Here's a list of stuff I think can be crossed over with SW in some fashion. Some of it already has...

Star Trek
    Babylon Five
    Sailor Moon
    Any Gundam series
    Lord of the Rings
    Transformers

More as I think of them...

2. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I agree with DWH, Harry Potter crossovers just doesn't work for me!

I think the Firefly 'verse works, but I might be partial co-authoring one and all :p

And I agree Star Trek does really well, to me Voyager is the best one to cross, though!

Edit: Oh, what about Robotech? I think it would work, but I'm new to it!

3. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Robotech, mav? Most certainly, that would work!

I've got the entire series on DVD, so I can vouch for that. yeah, the SDF space-folding into the NR, followed by the Zendraedi.

4. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Well now that would be crazy!
    I wonder what the Zendraedi would think of the Force! :p

I've only seen half of the first season (or what ever they call it) so I don't really know much about it, but I love it so far!

5. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    My list of things that can be crossed over:

Myst- the whole concept of linking books is just begging to be crossed-over.
    Thursday Next- the series is a crossover by its very nature.
    Harry Potter UNDER ONE CONDITION- it's about Sirius, and it has something to do with what happened after he fell through the veil in the Department of Mysteries. BUT ONLY THEN.
    Stargate- don't know much about it myself, but my roommate insists it works.
    Sandman- the Neil Gaiman comic series; the Dream Library makes for instant crossover potential.

6. MegumiFuu

MegumiFuu Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 6, 2003
    Wow, a crossover thread. Sweet!

Here's my two cred's on what can work with the GFFA:
    - Star Trek: esp. Voyager, as mavjade said, and TNG
    - Stargate (both shows): I've seen very good and I've seen very scary. The concept of traveling into the SW universe has to be handled delicately in this instance.
    - Battlestar Galactica: Haven't seen any yet but I think it could work
    - Dune: I saw a very good one many years ago
    - Quantum Leap: see above
    - Lord of the Rings: Like Stargate, I've seen both good and bad. I do not like it when the author makes all elves Jedi or all members of the Fellowship are actually Force sensitives. In this way, I feel it falls into the same trap that Harry Potter does.

VaderLVR64: Ohhh! What a lovely but slightly disturbing image I now have of our boys as the boys from Velvet Goldmine. Obi-Wan... Curt... :D

7. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Yes, I'd love to see Obi-Wan with his make-up on! :p Obviously, I think Dune can be crossed with SW, since I'm doing it. The only other thing I've crossed (in any serious manner) was a vignette featuring Allison Dubois from Medium meeting a young Anakin Skywalker in a vision. But it was just a one-shot, sort of a psychic in Coruscant type thing and it was for a challenge.

Star Trek could work. I would read a Harry Potter cross for fun.

8. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
    I think that part of the fun of crossovers is seeing how characters react and adapt to things that are totally beyond their knowledge and experience. Thus I reject the notion that there are genres that cannot, or should not, be crossed over with each other. Besides, isn't it fun trying to make things fit? :D

Commander-DWH: This is my own take on it, of course, but I just can't see how wizards and Jedi are ever the same thing.

One way of getting around that (albeit a sneaky one) would be to have a non-Jedi at Hogwarts ("Hokey spells and ancient swords are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.") or a muggle/squib in the GFFA.

Myself, I'm of the belief that the Force only works in the GFFA. However, I can suspend quite a lot of disbelief when it comes to reading fanfics. :)

- lazy

9. Diamond_Revelation

Diamond_Revelation Jedi Master star 3

Feb 25, 2003
    New story from ZaraValinor

Wow the conversation has broken out again ;)

I like the concept of a HP/SW crossover but I have only ever seen one that didn't do the whole jedi=wizard thing which as DWH says just doesn't work for me. Its the same for LOTR I haven't ever found a LOTR/SW crossover that I really felt worked.

I love Star Trek/SW crossovers though - I wish there were more Voyager ones and I would love to see a crossover with the Enterprise series.

I am happy to read any crossover once though I don't always like it - I really think it depends partly on the writing style - if the writer writes really well sometimes they can make even the most far fetched crossover work.

10. WyoJedi

WyoJedi Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 7, 2005
    Howdy all.
    I've been very interested in the whole crossover thing. I've read quite a few here on the forums and found them to be very good. Of course, I'm most partial to SW/ST crossovers.
    Currently I'm planning a Kotor/ST:Deep Space Nine crossover (I haven't seen any so far), and I have the mechanism for getting everyone over to the ST universe... but for some reason I am struggling with the main crux of the story... Why are they there? What is the conflict? If anybody has an idea PM me.
    Anyway sorry for the obvious info pimpage (is that a word?).

Cheers,
    Wyo

11. Commander-DWH

Nov 3, 2003
    One way of getting around that (albeit a sneaky one) would be to have a non-Jedi at Hogwarts ("Hokey spells and ancient swords are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.") or a muggle/squib in the GFFA.

Hmm, that has potential. But very rarely can writers resist the temptation to say, "OMG Harry is totally lyke, a j3di!!1!!one!" And there are fans who eat that straight up, and it makes me want to use every dark side power I never acquired in KOTOR.

Wyo, I have the exact same problem with my Myst crossover- mechanism is right there in front of me, but I don't know what to do with it once they're there. w00t, Atrus has succesfully linked to, oh, I don't know... Leiraya Moran's Corellia. I feel like the only thing I have is like in Finding Nemo, when the fish are floating in baggies in the ocean, and the only thing one of them can say is, "Now what?"

12. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    I happen to think that HP/SW crossovers can work (not just because I wrote one), but you just have to be really careful. I agree that Jedi are not Wizards and Harry shouldn't be able to use the Force. It's definatly a tricky crossover to try and work out. Besides HP/SW crossovers I think that LOTR/SW could work as well, as long as the writing was good enough to make it work. That's just my 2 cents on the matter.

13. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    I personally think the hardest crossovers to write are ST/SW ones because you've really got to be a fan of both in order for them to work properly, you know? And 99% of them are dumb vs. fics where one or the other is treated like garbage.

14. Commander-DWH

Nov 3, 2003
    Well, that goes without saying for any crossover- in order to write it well, you've got to be a fan of both.

As for the HP thing, there are so few scenarios that work... that, and just getting the characters from one place to the next I find to be very, how do we say... unbelievable. I've never read a HP/SW crossover (including on this site) where I've believed how they got there for two seconds. And if I don't believe how they got there, I'm generally not inclined to believe the rest of it, because I'll still be thinking, "But how the heck did they get there in the first place?" It's like a proof- if you screw up one of the earlier steps, it completely invalidates the rest of it.

Then again, that's just me and my logical self. But it makes a lot of crossovers truly unreadable for me.

15. ZaraValinor

ZaraValinor Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 31, 2002
    The problem I have with some crossovers, and expecially many Harry Potter crossovers, is that important events in the certain characters lives get trumphed by Harry. I can't remember where I read it, but it was like Luke was being replaced by Harry and it just didn't jive with me. For a crossover to work with me, it has to blend characters, especially our heros well.

16. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I think you have to be ready to "believe some things on faith" when reading fan fiction or even enjoying Star Wars. I just accept the fact that it is a certain way. I mean, really, how many people do YOU know that can move objects across a room using the Force? So I have no problem putting myself in the world, I just like the characters to mesh well, and it has to be well written.

But of course, everyone has their own likes and dislikes in reading material, whether it is pro fic or fan fic. And that's not right or wrong. It just is.

17. Commander-DWH

Nov 3, 2003
    Meh. I can suspend my disbelief to a certain extent, but there are lines, you know? I mean, every established fantasy world has rules. In Myst, a linking book does not create a new world, it merely builds a bridge to one that already exists. In Harry Potter, electronics can't be used within the walls of Hogwarts. In Star Wars, only certain specific individuals can use the Force. Outside of these rules, the usual scientific principles tend to apply. And while these rules can be used to our advantage when writing a crossover, they also ought to be kept, lest the world that has been built fall apart.

That's just my $0.02, though, and something to keep in mind. This passes through the minds of a number of readers (i.e. the people I hang out with in RL), so it's always good to know what your readers are thinking.

Of course, there are worse crimes, like out-of-characterness. For instance, say Luke Skywalker landed in Hogwarts and discovered that Potions was his true calling. I'd believe Quidditch (if he could even get a broom up), but not so much the academics.

18. Diamond_Revelation

Feb 25, 2003
    I will read almost any crossover as long as its well written. Unfortunatly one of my major beefs is that a lot of the really good ones are started and then never finished (which is why I have tried to make it obvious in the Index which stories are unlikely to ever be completed). It's so frustrating to start reading a really good crossover only to find that you will never know what happens to the characters :(.

19. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    I believe that's something we can all agree with Diamond. I can't remember all the times I've read stories that ended abruptly and haven't been updated in years. It's such a bummer. :(

20. jpauln

jpauln Jedi Master star 3

May 3, 2005
    One crossover I'd love to see is with Stephen King's Dark Tower series... That just opens up all kinds of possibilities in my eyes, I just don't think I have the guts to try and pull it off.

21. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    ^^^

Now that would be quite interesting.

I think LOTR/SW crossovers are fairly hard to pull off properly -- any crossover dealing with a place where technology meets medieval arts would be difficult in many ways to pull off well.

Of course, you could always make it incredibly insane and turn it into a humor fic that doesn't make too much sense...

One thing for crossovers I would highly suggest not doing unless you are prepared to be totally insane is combining six different fandoms together. Sooner or later it's going to get to you and drive you mad. :p

22. Commander-DWH

Nov 3, 2003
    Not familiar with the Dark Tower series... but the book I've read that most begs for crossover is Jasper Fforde's The Well of Lost Plots. The book explains it far better than I can:

To understand the Well you have to have an idea of the layout of the Great Library. The library is where all published fiction is stored so it can be read by the readers in the Outland; there are twenty six floors, one for each letter of the alpahbet... On all the walls, end after end, shelf after shelf, are books... But beneath the Great Library are twenty six floors of dingy yet industrious sub-basements known as the Well of Lost Plots. This is where books are constructed, honed and polished in readiness for a place in the library above. But the similarity of all these books to the copies we read back home is no more than the similarity a photograph has to its subject; these books are alive.

After reading it, I was so struck by the idea that all fanfic lives down in the Well that I had to write about it, and there's literally infinite storytelling potential with it. And I can have drive-by fandom hopping, too. :D See, the Well is a place where all fandoms and characters can meet. It's just kinda awesome like that, and I wish more people would read the book so there could be some decent fics written about it.

23. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    Not necessarily. I can definitely see Valdemaran Herald-Mages as Jedi Knights and Companions as welll... Jedi also.

24. Diamond_Revelation

Feb 25, 2003
    New story from WyoJedi posted :D

25. Marsa

Marsa Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 23, 2004
    Okay, I favour a particular kind of Crossover, one that probably isn't even technically Crossover. Some of my favorite fics in the world are those where the author takes a story from one universe, recasts it with SW characters, and sets it in the GFFA. (Luney's Scarlet Pimpernel and RebelMom's Rebecca are incredible!)

I'm looking for more stories like this, but are they really Crossovers? Do they have their own special name? Can we invent one then? Maybe I should start a writer's challenge... (I don't like to give those because I become a hypocrate by not contributing) Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else had this interest and could maybe give me some reccomendations.

Thanks, the fics here look great!

~Marsa

P.S. Check out RebelMom's fic in the archieves!!! Its title is Shackled Past.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.