main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Saga Crowned with Consolation - OC/Ben Kenobi - intertrilogy, short story - COMPLETED 4/20

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by VaderLVR64, Feb 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Title: Crowned with Consolation
    Author: VaderLVR64
    Characters: OC, Ben Kenobi
    Timeframe: about 8 years post ROTS
    Genre: Short story - I cannot begin to guess how many posts because every time I do, I'm wrong. :p

Crowned with Consolation

?For grief is crowned with consolation.? - William Shakespeare

Chapter One

He arrived one evening, dusty and weary, grateful for the cold ale I placed in front of him while he glanced at the menu.

?Greetings, sir,? I said, wiping off the table absently. The dust was ever present and my efforts would not banish it for long, but it was already a habit.

?And to you,? he replied with a slight smile that did not quite reach his blue eyes. ?You?re new here, aren?t you??

It might have sounded like a line from another man, but from him it was merely polite curiosity. I knew my smile trembled, for I had come to Tatooine to forget, but I was discovering that my pain had followed me across the galaxy. ?Just arrived ten days ago,? I told him. When the silence grew awkward, I took refuge in my work. ?What?ll you have?? I asked, clearly changing the subject.

The man?s eyes were compassionate, but he did not say the words I could almost see in his eyes. I?m sorry for whatever has caused your pain. I was grateful that he did not speak of it, but his sympathy was a gift as well. He ordered a simple meal and nothing more out of the ordinary occurred.

?I?ll have that right out for you,? I told him as I gathered up the menu.

A few moments later, I brought him his food. It was busy and the next time I looked up, he was gone and credits were on the table. A decent tip, I thought.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was a month before I saw him again and he sat at the same table. ?Good evening,? he said politely, a slight smile tugging at his lips.

?I remember you,? I said in surprise. After a while, all the faces seemed to blend together, but for some reason this gentle man stood out in my memory.

?I?m honored,? he said. ?I?m usually quite forgettable,? he added with a self-deprecating smile.

At first glance, I could see where that might be true. His hair was brown with streaks of white lacing through it, his face was weather-beaten and worn, and his eyes were a warm blue. Nothing extraordinary upon a casual look. A closer inspection, however, told me that he would be a very difficult man to forget if one was allowed the privilege of knowing him. I felt reassured just being with him, though I had no idea why that would be so. I smiled and shook my head. ?I hardly think so.?

Later, after he had left, I asked one of the other servers about him. Binnie was an older woman, aged quickly by a hard life and the harsh climate of Tatooine. She was kind, however, with a heart as big as her ample waist, and she had taken me under her wing. She had children but they lived far away, and so I was the focus of all her maternal instincts. I knew how strong the drive to mother could be, and I indulged her even when I sometimes grew weary of her solicitous attentions.

?Do you know the guy who was at my table?? I asked.

Binnie smiled widely. ?Oh sure, that?s Ben. He?s been coming here? Oh, about ten years now, I?d say.?

?So what?s his story?? I asked curiously. There was something about the quiet man that intrigued me. He so clearly did not fit in here, and yet he moved among them with utter assurance. It was a strange combination.

?Ben,? my friend replied and then she frowned. ?Don?t know his last name, come to think of it.?

?Ben,? I whispered. ?It?s a nice name.?

Binnie laughed, misunderstanding my interest. She had no way of knowing that my heart had already been given to a man and it was no longer mine to give. That part of my life had been swept away months ago and it was not going to return.

?And a pretty pair of blue eyes to go with that nice name, huh?? She nudged me with her elbow. She could not know that the warmth of a man?s arms was something I never expected to feel again. That part of my life was over.

2. VA_Parky

VA_Parky Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 10, 2005
    Awww, another amazing story from Vadey! Yay!!! Please sign me up for this one, my friend - I don't want to miss a moment. :)

You've managed to create another incredible OC. How do you do it? I just connect with them right from the start. It's really neat and helps to draw me right into the story. I really want to know more about her - what happened to make her so sad?

Speaking of sad, I just wanna sweep Obi-wan into a great big hug. He's carrying around so much pain - my heart just breaks for him whenever he makes an appearance here. *sniffle*

Bravo! Can't wait to see what's coming next.

3. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    Oh, wonderful. I thought I recognised the title from somewhere :D

I love the OC; I love how, even though we don't even know her name, she's instantly real and we feel for her. And Binnie made me laugh. Especially the line about having a heart as big as her waistline [face_laugh]

And this line:

Time is different on Tatooine, it drifts by like a lazy river and suddenly you wake up and find yourself older.

is pretty much perfection in word form. Bravo!

Will follow :)

Nem :)

4. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Awww....poor Ben.

How very sad to have to live in such solitude :_|:_|

It's nice to see at least one person on Tatooine cares, even if she doesn't want to admit it yet.

Looking forward to more

=D==D==D==D=

5. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Another wonderful piece. I've used every adjective in the past, so here - throws dictionnnary at author - pull out all the words of praise.

Great job, Kim.

6. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Force Ghost star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    another great one and I would like to get PM s for this one too.

7. Luminara_Kenobi

Luminara_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 6, 2006
    Yay, another Obi story from you! Can I be added to the pm list please?

8. DarthVaderette

DarthVaderette Jedi Master star 2

May 23, 2004
    Yes, another great story!

Can you PM me updates on this one as well :)

Heck, can we make it a standing request for a PM for all your stories? :D

Thanks! :D

9. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    This was a soulful vig, Kim. I enjoyed reading it, but it left me hungry for more. I imagine the was your purpose; to write the vig in the style of the content. Fun how this story was as much about Ben as it about your OC.

At first glance, I could see where that might be true. His hair was brown with streaks of white lacing through it, his face was weather-beaten and worn, and his eyes were a warm blue. Nothing extraordinary upon a casual look. A closer inspection, however, told me that he would be a very difficult man to forget if one was allowed the privilege of knowing him. I felt reassured just being with him, though I had no idea why that would be so. I smiled and shook my head. ?I hardly think so.?

I love your OC's feelings on being in Ben's presence. Excellent characterization.

Question, though. Am I supposed to know about Ben's illness or his errand?

Edit: I did't read the directions. There is more to come! Please PM with updates.

10. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Really intriguing story you've got here, Kim. I hope that she can find some comfort and that Ben can get some too.

Will you add me to your PM list?

11. JediMasterJessica

JediMasterJessica Jedi Master star 3

Jul 26, 2005
    I really like your OC, Great story, May I please be added to the PM list?

12. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    VA_Parky I'm a sucker for Ben angst. :p And part of her story will be revealed in this post. :)

JediNemesis Thank you, I'm honored. [face_blush]

KELIA Poor Ben. :_| He's so sweet and noble.

Valairy_Scot Wow, thanks! [face_blush] Glad you liked it. :p

earlybird-obi-wan Sure, and thanks! :D

Luminara_Kenobi Of course, and thank you. [:D]

DarthVaderette I'd flood your inbox. Oops. [face_blush] I tend to have a lot of WIPs. My bad.

brodiew Actually, the reader isn't supposed to know much, just what the OC knows. It isn't important, though. Just some detail to give her impressions of him some structure.

Layren I'd be honored to, and thank you!

JediMasterJessica Of course, and so glad you enjoyed it.

[b]Chapter Two[/b]

[i]?The true way to mourn the dead is to take care of the living who belong to them.?
    - Edmund Burke[/i]

Anniversaries can be joyous things, marking events that change our lives for the better, days on which we know we will never again know such happiness, moments we don?t ever want to forget. Or dates can stand out in our memories for terrible reasons, marking a shift in our lives that will forever change us.

I remember the happy dates, those days on which I was transported by joy. The day I married my husband, the day our daughter was born. I can never forget those days, for they will be engraved on my heart until the day I die.

There is another day that I will never forget either, but only because it shattered the heart inside of me.

The day I lost them both.

Death is so common, happening a million times every day across the galaxy. It is the tie that binds us all together in a way. But like so many others, I suppose I thought it would never strike so horribly close to me in such a violent and sudden way. My loss, when it came, was brutal and swift.

My husband was the only man I had ever loved and our daughter was the center around which our joy orbited. Together, we watched her grow and hoped that one day, we would welcome another child to our loving family. But there was time, of course. Plenty of that because time was an almost endless commodity for us, leading the charmed lives that were ours. A promising future stretched out before us, or so I thought.

Instead the Empire arrived and my husband spoke out against it. Foolishness really, for what did his sacrifice buy in the end?

Nothing but death and despair.

Still, I did not blame him; I never will. He did what he thought was best, what he thought was right. The deaths of my husband and daughter are the work of the Empire. They were nothing, just a local leader with more bravery than sense and the little girl who got in the way.

No one would miss them ? no one except me.

No one would speak out against their deaths.

Not even me.

I did not see them put to rest, what was left of them anyway, after the Imperials were done with them. I was lying unconscious in a burn ward, unknowing of anything but my pain. Fending off my questions with what they thought was kindness, the medics tried to spare me the brutal truth. I did not even know that everything I cared about had been burned to ash and that I was all alone until a few weeks later.

My whole life gone in an instant.

When there is nothing left, sometimes escape is all that is possible. And so I escaped to Tatooine, as far away from the Empire that had destroyed me as I could afford to get. On that day, it had been exactly two years since my world was ripped to shreds and the remnants scattered around me.

I worked; there was nothing to be gained by staying home except to brood over my loss. I hoped that by keeping my hands busy and my mind occupied, I would forget to remember. He happened to arrive toward the end of my shift.

?Greetings,? he said with a polite nod of his head.

?Greetings,? I returned listlessly.

His glance was sharp and piercing then, his smile kind. ?You seem sad, Myllani,? he said softly.>

13. Layren

Oct 28, 2003

Anniversaries can be joyous things, marking events that change our lives for the better, days on which we know we will never again know such happiness, moments we don?t ever want to forget. Or dates can stand out in our memories for terrible reasons, marking a shift in our lives that will forever change us.

I remember the happy dates, those days on which I was transported by joy. The day I married my husband, the day our daughter was born. I can never forget those days, for they will be engraved on my heart until the day I die.

There is another day that I will never forget either, but only because it shattered the heart inside of me.

The day I lost them both.

Awwwww that was so hearbreaking, I do hope she confides in Ben, and that they can find comfort together. I was so very glad that Ben decided to walk her home. So very sweet of him.

14. VA_Parky

VA_Parky Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 10, 2005
    Wow! What a poignant post - so full of things that are so darn TRUE, I had to sit back and let it all digest. What an amazing job you are doing with this tale, Vadey.

I really, really like your OC. She has such a gentle manner to her, I can't help but wish her well. I like that she and Obi-wan have formed a friendship. They have more in common than they realize.

Thanks for the PM. I'm really enjoying this story and wouldn't want to miss a moment. In fact, I'm already looking forward to the next post. How will their friendship progress now that they've sort of reached out to each other??

15. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Force Ghost star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    tanks very much for the PM. Looking eager for more. What a sweet character. She will make Ben's stay on Tatooine much more enjoyable.

16. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    His glance was sharp and piercing then, his smile kind. ?You seem sad, Myllani,? he said softly. I was surprised he knew my name. I had never heard him say it before.

My smile was tremulous, I knew, but I shook my head in denial. If I spoke of the foundation of my pain, I would dissolve into sobs and I was afraid I would not be able to stop. ?It?s nothing,? I murmured. And he said nothing more about it, though I could tell he knew it was so much more than nothing ? it was everything.

He let me tell my convenient lie and spoke no more of it. Ben ate his meal, though even as he ate, I sensed his eyes settle on me every now and then. For the first time, he left while I was watching him, and he gave me an encouraging smile.

Such a gentle post in a way - one who knows pain offering comfort to one dealing with it.

Too bad the only one who couldn't speak to Obi-Wan was Anakin, causing him to become Ben. Despite his own pain, or perhaps because of it, he is able to bring comfort to others.

Very sweet and touching post.

17. JediMasterJessica

JediMasterJessica Jedi Master star 3

Jul 26, 2005
    Awww, That was a sweet chapter. I feel for your OC. I also think that Obi-Wan walking her home was a very good use of character, thats something he would do

18. barriss31

barriss31 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2005
    I thoroughly enjoyed reading your story and hope there is more to come. I dearly love the character of Obi-wan Kenobi and believe that actions such as showing empathy and kindness to a being who is pain better reflect that spirit of selflessness that embodied the Jedi than the great warrior tales; albeit, Obi-wan could do some serious damage when the occasion called for it.

Would you please add me to the pm list?

19. obsessedwithSW

obsessedwithSW Jedi Master star 4

May 24, 2005
    Coming to a spontaneous, but utterly right, decision, I reached out once more. ?Please?? I laughed self-consciously. ?Would you like to come? For some tea or caf?? I clarified quickly. I did not want him to think that I was offering myself rather than refreshment.

Pausing for a moment, he seemed undecided. Then he looked into my eyes once more and nodded. ?That would be lovely. Thank you.?

I opened my door and we went inside.

Ok I need to know what this is going to be. Friend or possibly more? pleaseput me on your pm list master

20. Darth_Marrs

Darth_Marrs Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2006
    You know, I should just activate my notification when you post, but you post so much and it's all so good I'm afraid I wouldn't ever get anything done for spending every minute reading your wonderful writing.

This one especially is a goody. I'd love a PM if your keeping a list.

Thanks!

21. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    Ok this is really good=D= , i find myself feeling their sadness :(

Please add me to ur pm list if u have one, i'm intrigued to see where this is going :D

22. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Another wonderful emotionally fraught piece, Kim. Myllani makes me want to reach out to her. I'm glad Ben is doing it in my stead. ;) It is a tragedy sure to know that one's family died in pain...and that nothing could be done.

?I think it is a trait that many here on Tatooine share,? I answered with a small, bitter laugh. ?We come here to escape our past, I think ? or maybe it ourselves we want to flee from.?

Tatooine does seem to be a place where people come to get lost...and, perhaps punish themselves.

I was surprised that Obi-Wan accepted her offer of tea, but I very much look forward to what happens next. [face_hypnotized]

23. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Layren That's Obi-Wan for you! :p

VA_Parky A development in this post. [face_whistling]

earlybird-obi-wan Let's hope so. :)

Valairy_Scot Argh! I know! If only!! :_|

JediMasterJessica Thank you! And yes, I think it's in character for Ben. [face_love]

barriss31 I'd be happy to and I'm so glad you like it. :D

obsessedwithSW More about their relationship in this post. :p

Darth_Marrs Thank you! [face_blush] I'm just glad to know you're enjoying the story! [:D]

Veloz I will, and thank you!

brodiew They're both sort of broken, so they are comforted by reaching out to each other.

[b]Chapter 3[/b]

[i]

?To commiserate is sometimes more than to give; for money is external to a man's self, but he who bestows compassion communicates his own soul.? - William Mountford [/i]

~~~~~~~~

Once he was standing inside my home, I felt awkward and unsure. As if he sensed my unease, he moved as far away from me as possible and sat in a straight-backed chair.

?I?ll make some caf if that?s okay,? I offered and he nodded his agreement. I noticed that his eyes roamed with genuine curiosity around the small room, but his interest was not intrusive. Rather, I got the impression that he just wanted to know a bit more about me. It was a flattering feeling, though I wondered once more what had motivated me to invite him inside.

The decision had been impulsive and that was unlike me.

Ben shrugged off his cloak and carefully placed it on the back of his chair. I smiled to watch his precise movements, thinking for a moment how odd it felt to have someone else here with me. I had gotten used to solitude, so accustomed to it that now it felt comfortable and right, my natural state.

?It will be just a minute,? I said and sat down in the wide chair across from him. ?So?? An awkward silence stretched out between us.

?You?re not from here,? he said softly. ?You?ve said that, so where are you from?? There was an encouraging smile on his handsome face and I felt color rise in my cheeks.

?I am from a small planet on the other side of the galaxy,? was my reply. It was deliberately vague and I almost expected him to push for more information, but he merely nodded as if my answer had been quite complete.

?It?s not a desert world, is it?? Ben asked.

?How did you know?? My surprise was evident.

?Just the way you look out over the dunes,? he answered with a shrug. ?I?m quite sure my expression is the same. My mouth was probably hanging open the first year I was here. The sheer size of the desert astounded me.?

I had never him say so many words at once and I laughed. His eyes crinkled and it seemed to me that he knew what amused me and was glad for it. My sadness had been alleviated, even if only for a moment.

The heating unit chimed to let me know the caf was done and I retreated to the kitchen, trying to gather my thoughts. Something about Ben unsettled me, but in a good way. I did not fear him, it was nothing like that. I think that I rather feared my own reaction to him. He made me [i]feel[/i] again and that was both unexpected and unwelcome. And yet, a part of me craved it, [i]wanted[/i] to feel again, if only to remind myself that I was still alive.

Carrying the tray into the living area, I placed it on a table. He sniffed slightly and I could see an expression of anticipation cross over his face. I handed him his cup and he took a tentative sip. A smile of appreciation appeared and he nodded his approval. ?This is very good,? he said. ?I thought I recognized that smell. I?ve had this before.?

Blushing, I hid my surprise. Not many had tasted detui caf; it was rare and expensive, and certainly not found on Tatooine. It confirmed my thoughts that he had seen more of the galaxy than I had. The detui beans had made the journey here with me, several bags of it stuck in my luggage. It was a rare treat for me, a poignant reminder of my home, and I was gratified that he >

24. Layren

Oct 28, 2003

We sat in a companionable silence for a while, each enjoying our own memories of that faraway planet. Then Ben glanced at me. ?I?m sorry for whatever brought you here to Tatooine.? His voice was a gentle murmur, almost inaudible.

Blinking back the tears, my head bowed low. ?Thank you,? I mumbled.

?The pain will lessen in time, you know,? Ben continued with conviction in his voice. ?It will never leave you. It will always be a part of you, that?s true. But it does get smaller, and a sort of quiet contentment can drift into the places that the pain leaves behind.?

I looked up and met his eyes squarely. ?I don?t think so.?

He moved so quickly, so gracefully that it seemed he had floated toward me. His cup and mine were on the tray before I knew what had happened and he was kneeling before me, taking my hands in his. ?I swear to you that it does.? His words were fervent and I knew he believed them ? but I still could not.

?And the memories?? I asked bitterly. ?Do those also go away? The terrible ones that wake you screaming in the night??

There was not a hint of surprise in his expression. My anger had not shocked him or repulsed him. ?No,? he answered bluntly. ?But you will find that you have nights where you are not haunted by the past. First, you sleep one night and then two, and then one day you realize that there are more nights when you sleep than when you don?t. And you?ll count it as a victory and be grateful. But they don?t ever leave you. I?d be cruel to lie and say that they do.?

Awwwwwwww I feel so bad for both of them....they both need each other. I'm glad Obi-Wan is reaching out to her. [face_love]

25. Darth_Marrs

Darth_Marrs Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2006
    That was so romantic and sweet. You're use of the 1st person narrative is very good--I envy that. Thanks for the PM!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.