main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books CRUCIBLE by Troy Denning: The Official Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Jun 13, 2013.

1. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    That's if Sword of the Jedi, hasn't been canceled, or put on standby, Like the Paul Kemp duology.

2. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    And with the Legacy comics, I'm perfectly cool with those. They're far enough into the future that it's a new-ish setting while having an entirely different set of characters. And unlike the book EU, they are far enough that they won't entirely be affected by a possible EU wipe.

Personally what bothers me is how there doesn't seem to be a bridge between those yet. The appearance of a certain character in Apocalypse is something, but we don't see things start to change on a much larger scale.

3. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006

He'll fall but he won't die. Just get banished to Dagobah for a long time, that kind of annoyed me how he was killed.

4. LivingJediDream

LivingJediDream Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2010
    I'm not saying Legacy is a problem. I'm saying they've held onto the Big 3 for so long that Jaina has been squandered and the potentially interesting stuff for her in LOTF/FOTJ was completely glossed over, and Ben is generic and uninteresting compared to what Anakin and Jacen were in the New Jedi Order. Describe Ben Skywalker without saying what he looks like or what his profession or role is. Anakin Solo was brash, burdened by his name, and constantly pushed himself. Jacen was deeply philosophical and questioned everything, suffered from know-it-all-ism, and filled with doubt. Anakin had no doubt.

How would you describe Ben?

_Catherine_ and Zeta1127 like this.
  5. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Personally I'm hoping James Gunn is going to act on the inevitable temptation to use Star Wars characters in Guardians of the Galaxy. If anyone is going to do a Marvel/SW crossover, I'd want it to be him.

6. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    There's a good chance the ST will erase Ben, Jaina, Jacen,Anakin Solo and Mara, so would Marvel, Del Rey, or Dark Horse, still be able to use any of those characters?, or their descendants?

this could mean no Roan, Kol, Nat, Cade, Amia, or any of the other Fels

7. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Roan and the Fels are descended from Jag. We don't know who the other ancestor is for certain. Cade, Nat, and Kol are descended from Luke, with no confirmed word on where that line branches from. And Ania is descended from Han and Leia, with no word on what if any child of theirs she descends from. As bad as a complete wipe of Ben and Jaina would be, of all the properties, Legacy would survive.

8. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006

Yeah man, if you don't love it, leave it.

9. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    I don't care who get's in the sequals. Just no space fabios, date rape pheromones, or weirdo lizard jedi that are for some reason allowed to threaten children and eat people.

Soooo... Space Calvinism? Explains alot actually.

[quote="LivingJediDream, post: 50864511, member: 1363903"
    How would you describe Ben?[/quote]

Punk, dweeb, **** head, **** weed, jagoff, the reason 'fresher bowls are big enough to fit a human head.

Kid rubs me the wrong way, is all.

10. LivingJediDream

Jul 7, 2010
    I think people have been misunderstanding me? If people really weren't fans of Star Wars they wouldn't be spending their time to post on a Star Wars forum. If they are complaining about the direction the story has taken, it obviously hasn't disenchanted them enough to stop being a fan of the franchise if they're spending their time criticizing it. Whereas earlier in the thread, it was claimed that all the people that disliked the New Jedi Order series just quit, which is why it is mostly seen positively now. If they quit, then I think it would be more fair to accuse those people of not being fans, than someone that's still here and unhappy about the direction the EU has taken over the past decade.

ILNP and Zeta1127 like this.
  11. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    The point is I do love Star Wars, a lot, but I am starting to not love it anymore thanks to LFL rewriting the Clone Wars with TCW and Del Rey letting Denning take the post-NJO in such an abhorrent and depressing direction.

Skywalker Thing likes this.
  12. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    Jag, and jaina are married, early in Legacy Cade is visited by both Luke, and marsa Jade, and he calls them his ancestors, plus we don't know if Luke has any children, it took years for Tim Zahn to convince Lucasbooks, to let Luke, and Mara get married, and Kathy Tyers, had to argue to let them have Ben.

also th ST could erase the Vong war,, which would drastically change the face of Legacy, and establish Palpatine, as the last sith.

00000000000000amia is the only character in legacy who is safe.

13. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    ...who?

14. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    Ania Solo

15. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006

I ignore Clone Wars and stick with most of the old timeline.

16. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    So do I.

17. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006

I say most but not all. I went through Seasons 3 to 5 and wrote a list of why they didn't make sense.

I keep Season 1 and 2 coz they weren't bad (except one or two which I effectively would love to ignore). The Mortis arc was good but since I am starting to overlook everything after NJO, it is being left ambiguous whether canon or not. And Sphere of Influence I question but loved.

To the rest of you on Crucible, haven't read it yet and nor am I looking forward to it now.

18. LivingJediDream

Jul 7, 2010
    Yeah, my way of dealing with it is to mostly focus on two overlapping stories: the rise and destruction of the Sith (Darth Plagueis - Return of the Jedi/Dark Empire) and the Yuuzhan Vong invasion (Rogue Planet - The Unifying Force).

The stuff that followed The Unifying Force really did all the work as far as de-legitimizing itself goes. If Vergere was a Sith, it wouldn't be necessary to strawman her in Dark Nest and Legacy of the Force, and if Jacen was meant to become a Sith Lord, he wouldn't have been the protagonist of the New Jedi Order or had a successfully completed hero's journey. Nor would it have been necessary to completely derail his character where when we last see him he has achieved an apotheosis of sorts in which he has temporarily merged with the Force and afterward says "I don't have dreams of being a lightsaber master or an ace starfighter pilot, and I'm not on a campaign to change anyone or anything, except myself, maybe, just to clear away some of the confusion that's built up."

And then he develops a Messiah complex! But I guess it's cool because, despite when Ben flow-walks to see him with the Aing-Tii he's completely incongruous with his TUF characterization, talking about how desperately he needs to heal the galaxy despite the aforementioned quotation, he handles the Codex and senses a disturbance in the Maw and there he sees his as yet unborn and unconceived daughter as an adult -- likely the same age that he's at, as he's twenty at the time -- and realizes he's gotta do some stuff that's completely out of character for him, because his prophetic vision expects him to be him! He's gotta be someone else!

The liberties that were taken with the established continuity were as egregious as anything that TCW has done.

Skywalker Thing and Zeta1127 like this.
  19. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006
    I wouldn't be surprised if the Star Wars EU goes through a rewrite after this novel and Sword of the Jedi and Paul Kemp's duology are rewritten to fix it after much fan anger. And I wouldn't be surprised if the reactions to changes from TCW resulted in its cancellation.

20. LivingJediDream

Jul 7, 2010
    I would be. TCW children books sell much better than adult novels. I don't think outrage over continuity affects the bottom line. TCW would have been cancelled much sooner if that was the case.

21. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    I just ignore it all, because Anakin simply never had a Padawan and the Clone Wars multimedia project already told me exactly what happened during the Clone Wars. This thread isn't about TCW, and the only reason I even brought it up in the first place is because it is as much a reason for me feeling alienated as the post-NJO, so such discussion should be taken to the Clone Wars Continuity thread.

22. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Okay. That works. Him living had so much more potential whether dead or alive.

23. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I'm just saying, if you're going, "Hey, this is great, why is everyone so upset?" . . . congratulations, you're part of the segment that is buying Denning books and giving the editors no incentive to listen to the critics. I mean, as much as I love the idea that I'm sitting around determining the future of the franchise by calling Troy Denning's writing horrendous on the internet, noticing the fact that hardcore fans on the internet are mutinying does not connect with, "Wow, can anyone explain why is no one listening to a hundred people bitching on the internet?"

For all the problems people on Lit may cite, there are all kinds of people going, like you, "What problems?" and forking over their money. This is not an unusual phenomenon. It's like asking, "But if Michael Bay is such a terrible director, how is he still making movies?" "If Twilight is so terrible, how come it's such a phenomenon?" Because criticism is not determinative of the business environment.

Skywalker Thing likes this.
  24. LivingJediDream

Jul 7, 2010
    I don't think Mortis is contingent upon post-NJO at all -- especially since what I read in Apocalypse didn't mesh with what was in the episodes. Father straight up tells Anakin he'll bring balance to the Force. The mistake was Father's in bringing Anakin to Mortis, as it gave Son the ambition that led to his scheme when he saw Anakin's power. Whether Anakin chose to leave or not was irrelevant, since he never did leave until balance was restored to Mortis.

25. Vicarious Fan

Vicarious Fan Jedi Master star 3

Jul 1, 2013
    pretty much. Fans like to say that they will stop watching Star Wars if they change things but they never do. I'm 100% that the Post ROTJ EU will get a reboot at the very least, espeically after reading the EP7 casting list.

I mean if they follow the EU there would just be WAY too much to explain to people about what happend between episode 6 and 7. Not to mention people would be really angry not to see Chewbaca in it.