main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books CRUCIBLE by Troy Denning: The Official Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Jun 13, 2013.

1. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012

The highlighted section is...disturbing. First you say "yea its fine" that we see genocide?! Then you say sexual abuse is an epidemic and not enough people realize it's bad? Who doesn't realize its bad? What about the millions of people who die every year from genocide and war? I think we have a serious problem with statements like this.

kataja likes this.
  2. JStepp

JStepp Jedi Padawan star 2

Jun 10, 2011
    I am 22. I am a student of history and I know societies age of consent, and age of adulthood change all the time and are in fact different between cultures. Since this is an American forum, most of us view this sort of thing through an American Puritan perspective. Moral relativity is the key concept I am trying to get across. Anyways I don't come to a Star Wars forum to get into real world philosophy and cultural perspectives on morality. I just wanted to give my opinion that I agree with Fatsmel on this issue.

3. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    I find myself agreeing with most of this. But I don't think that, specifically, attractive women in their 20's pleasuring teenage boys is really a big issue.

If the ages were a bit different, or genders reversed, you'd better believe I'd find the scene grossly inappropriate.

Melbournelad likes this.
  4. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    I find myself agreeing with most of this. But I don't think that, specifically, attractive women in their 20's pleasuring teenage boys is really a big issue.

If the ages were a bit different, or genders reversed, you'd better believe I'd find the scene grossly inappropriate.

5. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006

So you are in your twenties. In your previous post you said you were fine with Tahiri (who is about 27) molesting a 14 year old Ben because you were once a teenager boy like Ben and would have welcomed it. Now like I said before, let's flip Tahiri and Ben's genders so that it's a 27 year old man molesting a 14 year girl. Would you, as a man currently in his twenties, feel comfortable saying the same thing?

6. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    You've completely missed the point. If you have to change parameters to make it seem wrong then you've already forfitted the argument.

Likewise if you insist that you are allowed to change the parameters however you want, but others aren't.

You're altering of the genders and claiming that it proves the point, whereas saying that altering of different parameters is invalid because "We're not talking about" it, you've gone fully blown hypocritical

Melbournelad and Chewbacca89 like this.
  7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I said the point he was making was fine -- as in it's all well and good, but here are the countervailing considerations.

Now then.

First: I said it was endemic, not an epidemic. There's a difference. Harassment and abuse is something that happens in this very fandom, and it happens in modern, western society (the audience for these books).

Second: It is endemic precisely because people don't recognize that it's wrong -- that people have no conception of consent as an affirmative concept, and instead believe that consent is the absence of physical resistance. It's a problem because sometimes otherwise decent people can do terrible things without knowing it, because of the privileges they're unaware of and societal conditioning that condones such behavior.

Third: millions of people do not die every year from war, and particularly not genocide. I submit that using the term too casually means you're not really getting across how severe a crime genocide actually is, and wasn't that your concern?

You don't, but will you concede that not everybody is like you? Not every teenage boy thought the same thing, either.

8. AlyxDinas

AlyxDinas Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 12, 2010

That's the most bassackwards thing I've ever heard. Flipping the genders creates a context by which you might...might, I stress, be able to understand the argument. That is because the question is not gender related. It's age and consent related. I'm astounded this is a thing that needs to be pointed out.

And, at risk of overstepping my bounds, perhaps we should stick to Crucible. This topic is something of a trigger.

9. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    No, it's a challenge for you to see that the situation is problematic across the board, regardless of gender. Just because common humor is men and boys are horny so any and all sexual advances, wanted or unwanted, must be okay and they really did want it deep down...this is incredibly wrong.

10. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    Yeah, no. Hells no. That attitude is, like, fractal grossness or something.

That's not just ew. It's ew at every conceivable level of resolution. Zooming in on any part of that attitude finds stuff exactly as ew as the entire attitude.

11. LivingJediDream

LivingJediDream Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2010
    I thought Jaina killing Jacen was also devoid of emotional consequences? It's not as if the stuff Denning has in his books informs characterization.

Skywalker Thing likes this.
  12. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    That's why I said that I agree somewhat. I can see where people think it's inappropriate that the scene was brushed off, and that it sets a "bad example" in a certain sense.
    But I still don't think more any than other scenes of violence, death etc.

If you say so.
    why? that is a huge assumption, and very culturally dependent.
    I'm astounded that this needs to be pointed out.

13. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    I have hardly changed any parameters. I'm describing the exact same situation, the situation being the molestation of a teenager by an adult. In your own words you're fine with the molestaton of a teenager by an adult if the adult is female and the teenager male. Yet in your own words you are not fine with it the situation if the adult is male and the teenager female.

Your own words, for reference

Also I take issue with your statement. Let's look at it again

Interesting choice of words there. I don't think I've changed parameters (adult female to adult male and teenage male to teenager female) to make it seem wrong because both are wrong

Your parameter change didn't address the argument we were making, but okay let's take your parameter change seriously. I agree with it. A consensual relationship between two adults is a beautiful thing. What else do you want me to say about it? Does that parameter change somehow make what Tahiri did to Ben ok?

14. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    Maybe we should stop passing judgement on each other and just move on...

JStepp likes this.
  15. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    Attack the argument, not the poster.

Melbournelad and JStepp like this.
  16. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    So, um, Crucible?

kataja and instantdeath like this.
  17. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    I agree they're both wrong. So is mass murder. That's kind of the point I'm making.

And the point you've still missed is that you're assuming Gender isn't just as important a consideration as Age.
    Which I can understand if you've been brought up in twisted American culture.

Chewbacca89 and JStepp like this.
  18. JStepp

JStepp Jedi Padawan star 2

Jun 10, 2011
    I agree wholeheartedly this convo has gotten very uncomfortable.

19. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    When people advocate that child molestation and sexual harassment is fine and cool, and defend that viewpoint with a straight face against any and all challenge, yeah...things tend to get uncomfortable.

20. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006

Oh I absolutely think Gender is as important as Age. My entire arguments have been based on both gender and age. That's why I'm against what Tahiri did in the first place since she, as an adult was molesting a teenager which has everything to do with age. The reason I brought gender in it is because you didn't seem to have a problem with a female adult molesting a male teenager but you have one with a male adult molesting a female teenager.

21. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    So what did people think of Biots?

kataja likes this.
  22. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    Don't attack the poster, attack the argument

23. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    great, so we agree.

Another personal attack on a poster? No.

24. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    I think they're stupid.
    And they weren't given enough background or explanation. They were just sort of there.
    We needed more depth into what they are, how they work and why

JStepp likes this.
  25. LivingJediDream

LivingJediDream Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2010
    I don't envy you, Ulicus.