main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Crucible by Troy Denning

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Manisphere, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    [​IMG]
    Han, Luke, and Leia are back in action–older and wiser, but as ready as ever to leap headlong into adventure!

Han Solo, Luke Skywalker, and Princess Leia have spent a lifetime fighting wars, bringing the Jedi back from extinction, raising families, and saving the galaxy more times than they can count. They’ve earned the right to rest on their laurels and let the younger generation shoulder the burden–but fate has another adventure in store for our heroes, a quest only they can tackle and hope to survive...

2. Manisphere

Aug 25, 2007
    It's only one book. That's the good part.

3. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    I gotta be honest...meh.

Maybe it'll be The Undiscovered Country, but I just keep imagining Luke asking what God needs with a starship. :/

4. Manisphere

Aug 25, 2007
    Luckily they don't have Row, Row, Row Your Boat in the GFFA.

DarthRelaxus likes this.
  5. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I hope the book closes with an upbeat ending, as the Big Three go off to leave the GFFA for good (in pursuit of something/someone), hinting they will face more untold adventures and dangers but no more serious threats, and of course that they will have each other and have found peace and happiness. Then to never be seen alive again after this book ends, the cause and timing of their deaths forever unknown.

6. Manisphere

Aug 25, 2007
    It solves so much at once.

Master_Keralys and Darth-Ghost like this.
  7. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    At this point I'd take it, because it would solve a lot. Practically, though, from an in-universe perspective, there'd have to be a helluva reason for them to abandon their families. Luke saying goodbye to his teenaged son forever when not forced to is a bit of a stretch. Plus didn't they say at CVI that they had no plans to kill them off any time soon? And while technically this wouldn't be that, I think it probably means they'll be around in books for a good while longer.

Blah. Irresistible aging meets immovable name recognition. It's an unfixable situation. *shakes fist*

Master_Keralys likes this.
  8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Cautiously optimistic about this. Hope this book is the last adventure of the Big 3 and I hope it can end on a positive note like the Unifying Force did

A Tool likes this.
  9. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    They could quite easily cap the Big 3's story proceeding out into the timeline.

And then they can go back and plug stories into the timeline...then we can have endless debates about how they cram so many stories into one year of the timeline, and debates about length of months, etc...

Seriously...nothing changes but the fact that the cover art looks more and more geriatric.

My biggest issue with this being that send off is letting Denning do it.

Master_Keralys likes this.
  10. Dunc T'racen

Dunc T'racen Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 11, 2000
    I'm just happy we'll get a Big3 novel with minimal filler. I'm so sick of the 'let's see how many obscure EU characters we can give air time' subplots.

You know they released the final cover, right? Even the Wook has it. It's not that different, but at least it doesn't say 'cover not final.'

S1thari likes this.
  11. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Kark the Big Three

12. GrandMasterKatarn

GrandMasterKatarn Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 8, 2008
    Kark Troy Denning. IMO worst SW author ever

Zorrixor, Loto68 and Mia Mesharad like this.
  13. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Hardly. Just not big on the focus

14. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Enough of the Big 3 and Denning post NJO period!

Zorrixor, Loto68, RC-1991 and 2 others like this.
  15. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

16. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    So are they gonna get around to completing that originally-ingenious-but-not-so-ingenious-when-it-led-to-absolutely-nowhere-after-five+-years White Eyes plot in this one?

Zorrixor and Silas Allender like this.
  17. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    If they want to have Big 3 stories in the Rebellion era or New Republic era, I have no problem with that. They should not have done that 5 year jump from TUF to DNT and the 4-5 year jump from DNT to LOTF. If they did a trilogy or so per year in-universe we wouldn't have even reached when LOTF took place yet.
    On the matter of Denning, put him in the Pre-Republic era with the Killiks or something.

Zeta1127 and Loto68 like this.
  18. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I bet Denning will have an Arkanian character appear, just to further string us along.8-}

Force Smuggler likes this.
  19. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Here's hoping

20. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    And speaking of Big 3 stories in the Rebellion era, I just remembered we are getting just that! New thread, ahoy!

Force Smuggler likes this.
  21. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I still find the three circles in the background curious, as they look distinctly intentional rather than artistic.
    [​IMG]
    Though admittedly, for all my first thought was of Mundus, I wouldn't be surprised if they just represent the reformation of the Ones or something given Denning is all into his Celestial thing, so dunno.

22. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    That cover would make a pretty badass ad for a retirement home.

23. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    So.... you're telling me Trioculus, right?

24. Dunc T'racen

Dunc T'racen Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 11, 2000
    Ahh, there's that refinement I remember so well. Never change, Lit. Never change.

Master_Keralys and Manisphere like this.
  25. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    If the Glove fits...

Leia did start having those visions not long after lovable ol' three eyes supposedly bit the dust.