main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Crystal Reef Palace Auditorium (CRPA) - Jacen/Tenel Ka Index & Resource Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by CRPA_Index, Feb 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    I've never heard of any other clan names. You could just make them up pretty easily. Just make it 'woodsy'.

And lo and behold, I can do Dathomir's info now!

Again, Cracken's Threat Dossier.

Dathomir is a relatively small planet capable of supporting human life. There are three moderately large continents, ranging in terrain from jungles to deserts to snow-capped mountains. Its gravity is just slightly less than Coruscant standard and considered rather pleasant by most offworlders.

From the willowy-thin trees that tower as high as eighty meters from the ground, to the giant wuffa worms (NRI Security File: 777655:09:87.1) who burrow beneath the surface, life on Dathomir is in abundance...

In addition, the planet has numerous other forms of wildlife: drebbin, ssurrians, burra fish...

Human offworlders may experience a burning sensation in their sinuses, a sympton of the planet's high level of (for lack of a better term) "life force".

As luck would have it, a remarkable find was made on Koratas, Dathomir's fourth moon. Digging through the thick, red-tinted soil, Imperial scientists stumbled across several rich veins of neutronium*, lommite and zersium. These minerals are the primary components in the alloy known as durasteel, the most common warship-grade armor used in Imperial ship construction.

Dathomir

Type: Terrestrial
    Temperature: Temperate
    Atmosphere: Type One
    Hydrosphere: Moderate
    Gravity: Slightly less than standard
    Terrain: Desert, forest, jungle, mountain
    Length of day: 24 standard hours
    Length of year: 491 local days
    Sapient Species: Humans, Rancor Mutants
    Starport: Limited services (Imperial Prison)
    Government: Tribal (New Republic allied)
    Tech Level: Stone, Space (Imperial Prison)
    Major Exports: None
    Major Imports: None

*I'd take the neutronium one with a grain of salt. The writer of this doesn't know just how dense neutronium really is, or the fact that it's ejected from stars...or something like that.

2. Valin_Halcyon

Valin_Halcyon Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    one teaspoon of neutronium would be about 10 billion tons on earth. Its safe to say that there probably isn't any on dathomir.

3. Amidala_Skywalker

Amidala_Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 2001
    Quote from this website:

Extraordinarily sophisticated technology is one thing . . . far be it from me to dispute Clarke. However, Warsies are claiming that you can kick the dirt on a moon and stub your toe on neutronium. They are claiming that somehow, magically, neutronium has escaped from a neutron star and decided to bury itself just under the surface of a moon.

At no point is this moon referred to as being ultradense, ultramagnetic, ultragravitational, et cetera. It's just a moon, and once you kick some dirt away, you don't find an iron shell of a neutron star, nosirree bob, you kick straight to neutronium, conveniently disguised as a vein of some heavy metallic element.

Further, when the hell did compressed neutrons become a metallic element? You can look all day on the periodic table and not find a metallic element called neutronium, or sharing any of the characteristics of neutronium, for the simple reason that every metallic (or even non-metallic) element, by default, has protons and electrons, whereas real neutronium doesn't!

I got curious ;).

It makes me think that SW EU fact book authors get their facts out of thin air. That population of four million must be a typo. It wouldn?t be much of a capital planet with four million.

Thanks for typing that up, Striker! :) I?ll include it in the first mass update later today.

Amsie [face_love]

4. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Oh, god! I've got that site bookmarked! Yeah, there's no way neutronium is found on that moon.

5. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Ahh, continuity snaffles and improbabilities. Tastes like bread and butter pudding to this little Ewok...

Well, here's the way I'd fix it... ;)

There's no reason why Hapes should have a large surface-side population - the Consortium is primarily an interstellar monarchy sustained by a powerful military, after all - in CoPL the individual worlds seem quite autonomous and distinctive... think of it as a sort of Star Wars Versailles/Escorial... and note that even the palace in the major city is a copy (and a mobile one, to boot!) of the original Disney Castle, the Fountain Palace, which sits out on its own in the country, and seems to be entirely a court/command centre...

If you feel that a royal park with a few small cities and a population of four million is a bit "lightweight" for a capital world, though, then do what I do when thinking of important SW star-systems - imagine a built-up system, with shipyards, military fortresses, mining stations, hydroponic facilities, terraformed/habitable gas-giant moons, and deep-space habitats, with a vast population up in the billions...

As to neutronium, there's a discussion of the real-world physiscs here; and here Mike Wong gives his usual savaging to a pro-Trek reading of the pseudoscience (I think it may be the same one linked-to above)... if nothing else, this is a good example of the sort of 'evidence' involved, and the use and abuse that goes on when dealing with it...

However, if I can draw your eyes away from the bear-pit for a moment...

I rather like the suggestion that the metals on Dathomir's moon come from an old ship or space station (perhaps so old that they've been buried geologically)...

But, that's not even necessary, IMHO...

Now, I'm no scientist (most scientists would probably laugh at most or all of what follows), but from what I understand, real-world "neutronium" is a very dense phase of matter, transformed from iron by the effects of special relativity; that's what it means, anyway - but physisists don't like the term...

Thankfully, though, Star Wars isn't bound by real-world physics. We have deflector shields, energy-swords, repulsorlifts and grav-well generators, faster-than-light travel, subspace communications, and the Force - most or all of which are essential for any self-respecting Space Opera...

On at least one occasion, the science governing at least some of these phenomena is said to be called hyperphysics... and I rather like that term...

So I'm going to suggest that SW 'neutronium' isn't actually real-world 'neutronium', any more than SW 'lasers' are real-world lasers... but it is a phased state of iron.

In other worlds, the "neutronium" at Dathomir is good old iron ore (the moon's surface is iron-oxide red, after all :p), but it's "phased" in some way that our science can't understand, but which gives it, at least when alloyed into durasteel (iron => steel, remember?), important "hyperphysical" properties, properties which help it to deflect or absorb "hyperphysical" weapons like turbolasers and proton torpedoes...

Everyone happy with that? If not, feel free to disagree... :D

- The Imperial Ewok

6. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    So, it's called neutronium, but has absolutely no relation to real world neutronium...

My head hurts. I think I'll go shovel the half-foot of snow we got last night...

;)

7. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Striker: no, no, there is some relationship - it's still a dense, physically 'phased' form of iron...

But words change their meaning - in common usage, 'laser' doesn't simply mean 'light amplified by the stimulated emission of radiation' any more, but refers broadly speaking to bolts or beams or bullets of energy, or even particle-beam weapons, or even the 'gun' firing them; in SW profic, even its synonym 'coherent light' is used, for instance to describe the bolts from X-wings' wingtip lasers: So I'm suggesting that 'neutronium' in SW has come to describe 'phased' derivatives of iron in general, rather than simply those formed when white dwarf stars go supernova...

Obviously, I'm abusing the idea of physical 'phasing' a little, but only in the context of the established FTL, antigrav, and energy-manipulation technology of SW...

- The Imperial Ewok

8. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Oh, got it.

Read Mike Wong's site. He's brilliant, but in an area I have absolutely no interest in. His complete and utter bias against Trek-stopping train of thoughtright now.

Anyway...pretty good explanations about Hapes' supposed low population. Maybe they treat the homeworld more along the lines of Earth in Star Trek, keeping it mostly pristine and pure as sort of a 'monument'.

9. CRPA_Index

CRPA_Index Jedi Youngling

Oct 15, 2004
    CRPA MASS UPDATE (1 March, 2005)

We?ve crossed that barrier. We?re in March, our second month of operation. Carr and I would like to thank those who have supported CRPA by participating in discussions and challenges, writing reviews, supplying relevant information. We?re very appreciative ? and we hope everything continues ?business as usual?!

We were particularly pleased by the responses to the first challenge. They were very impressive and in good numbers! We believe ?In The Case of New Alderaan? ? the March challenge ? will intrigue you just as much, if not more.

In our continual effort to improve the index and justify our use of the word ?definitive? in our opening line, we?d like to hear from you. Is CRPA missing something? Is there anything more you folks want? Let us know! :)

In essence, thank you :).

- Challenge story by vader_incarnate added to CRPA Challenge Index.

- Reviews for the following stories have been added:

? ?I Came To Conquer? by Ace_Venom
    ? ?Grasping at Dreams? by CarrKicksDoor
    ? ?Undercurrents? by Jade_Max
    ? ?To See You Again? by Lady_Jedi_Carenix
    ? ?Anake? by SilSolo
    ? ?The Bonds Between? by vader_incarnate

- Added the following CRPA challenge for the month of March:

Jacen is summoned to New Alderaan to resolve the matter of the planet?s legitimate royal family. As the son of Princess Leia, Jacen is entitled to rule. As Jacen?s wife and Queen Mother of the largest consortium in the galaxy, Tenel Ka must tread lightly as a New Alderaan separatist faction demands Hapan monetary aid. Your story must include the following words:

? Spurious
    ? Evince
    ? Hubris
    ? Moiety
    ? Extirpate

- New section for past CRPA Challenges created.

- Added interview with RK_Striker_JK_5.

- Added March spotlight fan fic.

- Further information on Hapes and Dathomir has been added with thanks to our typist, RK_Striker_JK_5.

- New discussion topic:

In your opinion, why isn?t J/TK as popular as J/J or K/J? Or do you disagree with that assessment?

~ Your Eternal CRPA staff, Amidala_Skywalker and CarrKicksDoor [face_love]

10. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Oh, my! My interview's up? Cool! And I'm your 'typist'? Heh.

I do have one thing. WOuld it be possible to put interviews into a separate post and list all of them? That way past interviewees can look back on their words and thoughts with pride.

Or not. I don't know, just throwing stuff out.

11. Lady_Jedi_Carenix

Lady_Jedi_Carenix Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 6, 2001
    Actually, I also agree with you RK_Striker_JK_5. :) More so that if someone new finds the thread they don't miss out some really interesting author interviews. ;) :)

As for the new question --

Part of the problem for J/TK not being as popular as other relationships is that 1) you have to have people who have actually read the YJK series and 2) having read the YJK they actually like the pairing.

If people have only read the NJO, there is little to nothing for J/TK interaction, whereas the romantic life of Jaina gets explored/at least a single line written about in every NJO book (at least from what I remember). It's hard to imagine a romantic relationship between Jacen and Tenel Ka based on what is presented in the NJO (unless you pay really close attention in Star by Star and take to heart that Tenel Ka wanted to kiss Jacen). Also, there are people who have read the YJK and hate Tenel Ka/the pairing but do like Jaina (*shrugs*).

12. Amidala_Skywalker

Amidala_Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 2001
    Good reasoning, Ark. In my mind, SW neutronium is just another type of ore (like iron) found under the surface of any planet or moon. It can?t be defined as RL or Trek neutronium.

I like your reasoning for Hapes? low population. If it was 20 million, I think it would be more much believable. Even ST Earth (squee - my inner Trekkie loves these references!) has more than four million inhabitants. I?d want to keep my capital clean and avoid another Coruscant-like planet.

Striker, Carr and I had a short discussion about past interviews. Basically (I think ? we were probably tired at the time ;)) we decided that we?d create a website and put the past interviews and spotlights there. Create some cool navigation and such and then post the link in the index. Good thought, though! :)

Ams [face_love]

13. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    I'm not so sure. I saw a bunch of new J/TK fics and ficlets spring up in the past month or so. But you're right in other regards. Jaina's 'love' life is dissected like nobody's business. Tenel Ka and Jacen...is hardly touched upon.

EDIT:

Who's 'Ark'?

14. pregnantpadme

pregnantpadme Jedi Master star 4

Oct 25, 2004
    In case you have all finished with the line of royal succession...ignore my ramblings...but this is a subject that I happen to know something about (due to my exhaustive study of magazines such has Hello!, Paris Match, and People and my obession with biographies and historical fictions based on the lives of Royal families.

Queen Elizabeth is on the Throne in England and her heir is Charles making him 1st in line for the throne.

His children are next and then it skipps back up to Elizabeth's next son, Andrew and then down to his children. The point being that the line of succession is supposed to flow in as straight a line as possible

1st in line: Charles
    2nd: William
    3rd: Harry
    4th: Andrew (Charles brother, QEII's second son)
    5th: Princess Beatrice (Andrew's Daughter)
    6th: Princess Eugenia (Andrew's 2nd daughter)
    7th: Prince Edward (QEII's third son)
    8th: Louise Windsor (Edwards daughter)
    9th: Princess Anne, The Princess Royale (QEII's daughter)
    10th:peter Phillips (Princess Anne?s Son)
    11th: Zara Phillips (Princess Anne?s daughter)

The above are all QEII?s direct descendants. If they were all to die, the line of succession would then jump to her sister Margaret and since Margaret is now did?on to her descendants:

12th: Viscount Linley (Margret?s son)
    13th: The Hon. Charles Armstrong-Jones (Linley?s son)
    14th: The Hon Margarita Armstrong Jones (Linley?s Daughter)
    15th: The Lady Sarah Chatto (Margret?s daughter)
    16. Master Samuel Chatto (Sarah?s son)
    17. Master Arthur Chatto (Sarah?s 2nd son)

Then?with QEII?s and her sister?s direct descendents dead in a horrible catastrophe?the sucssession would jump back up to QEII?s cousins:
    18. The Duke of Gloucester
    19. Earl of Ulster
    20. The Lady Davina Windsor
    21. The Lady Rose Windsor
    22. The Duke of Kent
    23. The Lady Marina Charlotte Windsor
    24. The Lady Amelia Windsor
    25. The Lady Helen Taylor
    26. Master Columbus Taylor
    27. Master Cassius Taylor

One point that is hard to figure out is the Princess Anne being skipped over in the line on favor of her younger brother's and their children. Anne was the second born to QEII, but her younger brother's are ahead of her in the line. In the rest of the line...the families either had only girls...meaning no younger brother's could displace them, or all boys, or the boys were born first. So I can't tell from this if Anne being skipped is an antiquated rule and it would no longer apply or if there has just been no need to skip any sisters in the last generation because the gender and birth order of all the decsendants children have cooperated with rules of sucsession.

So?now that everyone thinks I?m stark raving mad and have way to much time on my hands?Teneniel?s mother was already dead by CoPL?Augwynne, was Teneniel?s grandmother. I don?t ever remember reading anywhere that Tenel Ka had any Dathomirian first cousins (children of aunts) meaning, Teneniel must have been an only child, however I do seem to remember that Augwynne had more than 1 child...maening that Teneniel's mother was not an only child and the line of sucsession would therefore pass down to Teneniel's aunts and their daughters. My impression of TK saying that she was a princess of Dathomir was like Prince Charles' brothers' daughter saying she is a princess of England...yeah, she is...but she's 5th in line (now...when William and Harry have kids she'll continue to drop down) and isn't ever going to see the throne. There was also never any talk of Tenel Ka being the heir to any throne or leadership other than that of the Consortium. And?Teneniel says in Dark Journey that the Vong (excuse me?Yuuzhan Vong)
    had captured Dathomir a few years before?was there anything left to rule?

OK?I?m going to go back upi and finish reading this thread. Please forgive me if I?ve been horribly redundant.

15. Ace_Venom

Ace_Venom Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 22, 2002
    I'm going to admit that I'm not exactly a big fan of the J/TK pairing, but I also don't mind using it out of convenience if it fits the story I want to tell. I believe the main problem people have with the pairing is that it presents a dead end for Jacen's character.

I'm going to pull from an old argument and say that many may see Jacen becoming the Queen Mother's consort as a dead end for a character that blossomed so thoroughly during the NJO. It's also a major reason why I'm not a big fan of the pairing in the first place. In my opinion, it can fit some stories, but definitely not all of them. Personally, I believe that J/TK is one of those "impossible love" stories that almost reminds me of A/P.

16. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    It being 'impossible love' makes it all the sweeter.

If it is, in fact, impossible...

And pregnantpadme? That list is...incredible. I now know more about the British Royal Family than I ever did.

Whether or not that's a good thing remains to be seen...

;)

17. DathomiranAuthor

DathomiranAuthor Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 18, 2005
    Awesome update. :D

Yes, a lot of people may not realize the cool J/TK pairing, due to having read the njo but not the YJK.

Our goal is to change that, then.

How? I have no idea. But having this Index is definitely a great start!

18. Lady_Jedi_Carenix

Dec 6, 2001
  19. C3P0_R2D2

C3P0_R2D2 Jedi Master star 2

Jan 23, 2005
    Ummm...

*blinks*

I'm lost now, but I'll reread later. We have to go out to dinner.

Damn Social Occasions[sp?]!

20. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Nice, Carenix! Very, very nice.

I might have to try the challenge this month...if I have free time. Oh, darned plot bunnies! They're breeding like...plot bunnies! And there are subplot hamsters scurrying about and crossover...guinea pigs here and there.

21. CRPA_Index

CRPA_Index Jedi Youngling

Oct 15, 2004
    Welcome to the new debaters :). It's a pleasure to have you here.

ETA on next index update: early next week (it all depends on whether we receive more submissions).

Also, please consider volunteering for the CRPA Review team! We don't hound you for reviews, don't worry! Everything is at your own pace :). We'd love to eventually have a review for at least over a quarter of the index fan fiction.

~ Your CRPA Staff, Amidala_Skywalker and CarrKicksDoor

22. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    I'll get to work on some more reviews. It's just been a bit difficult with other stuff going on. Sorry.

23. -Tenel-Ka-

-Tenel-Ka- Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    Wow! Thanks for the spotlight!! ^__^ I would add the spotlight picture to the story but since it was so long ago it's a locked topic now. ;-;

Although, I'll be putting the spotlight picture on my writing site once I get "At Least Smile" up there. Thank you!! Teehehe~

Also, I'm adding links to this index from the fanfiction sections of Through Her Skin, Viridity & Under Control... if that's ok! :D

24. CarrKicksDoor

CarrKicksDoor Jedi Master star 3

Jan 16, 2005
    The links would be great! And I have to say, At Least Smile is one of my favorite J/TK stories. :)

~Carr

25. Lady_Jedi_Carenix

Dec 6, 2001
    Hmmm, could we send a request to a mod to unlock the "At Least Smile" thread? :confused: It wouldn't be a random "just because" request since it's being given an award and I wouldn't mind posting that I like the story too. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.