main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming [Cthul-who?]The Sinking City

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lord Vivec, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006

So a game came out this week on xbone and ps4 called The Sinking City. I remember seeing some footage of it some time ago and as you all know, I'm a sucker for all things Lovecraftian, so I picked it up. It's a mix of survival-horror and point-and-click adventure in an open world map. You have to find all the clues, then deduce the conclusions to figure out what happened. While getting attacked by monsters and going insane in a town right in the middle of the Cthulhu Mythos (No seriously, Innsmouth is a neighboring village).

Needless to say I get scared in video games very easily (how long before I went into my first Daedric ruin in Morrowind?) and I gotta mix that with my wanting to learn the story. Anyone else pick this game up? How are you faring?

2. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    I might, actually, thanks for pointing it out. Just going to have to check that there isn't too much that's reflex-dependent :p

... it's true that back in the day, Cthulhu-mythos-based games were a little less scary-looking... :p

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    TCF-1138 likes this.
  3. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    I don't remember this part of the necronomincon....

4. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    [face_laugh]

It's fixed :p

5. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Yeah

Honestly the best part about Lovecraftian stuff is 1) the mystery and 2) the atmosphere. I haven't played much, but Sinking City certainly has the atmosphere down.

6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    IT's not on GOG, which makes me sad, as it looks interesting enough to take a look at...

7. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    This looks really interesting. I've been hoping for a good Mythos game for a while now, so I think I'll check it out.

8. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I've heard the combat is clunky in it, but otherwise it looks interesting. However, I also don't do well with scary things in games (Last of Us was kind of my limit). So I'm not sure if I can handle it.

9. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Combat in Cthulhu... [face_thinking]

What's the running speed defined by these days?

Lord Vivec likes this.
  10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    That's one of the things I seem to remember about the tabletop Call of Cthulu RPG... any "combat rules" were strictly for you vs. Human minions or worshippers... anything else was either instant death or insanity...

11. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    True for just about every Cthulhu character (including Delta Green ones) with perhaps one exception in the person of Old Man Henderson.

12. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    I watched my friend play about three hours of it but I fell asleep. The writing seemed good though, and it was funny how half the townies are ape faced or fish people. The main guy, the detective, looks like he hasn't slept in a year.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  13. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Despite my love of all things Cthuloid, it's an Epic Games exclusive so I'm not going anywhere near it.

14. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Yeah see I lucked out that my GF has an Xbox one so I can play it

15. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I bought an X-Bone for my SO. I just hate playing consoles.
    :p
    I just don't want to support them in general anyways. I hate exclusives - even timed exclusives - so I'm not picking it up even after it's on Steam and GOG.

16. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    It's 1 am and I got attacked by a scary monster from behind and it wouldn't die. :_|

solojones likes this.
  17. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Lose 1/1D6+1 SAN?

18. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    It was cruel. I walk into a room and I start hearing monster noises. I crouch and get our my gun and back towards the door. I go out the door into the hallway AND THAT'S WHERE THE MONSTER WAS. They tricked me.

19. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'd probably be up for this since I love Lovecraft (and the more recent literature that is based in his universe). Unfortunately probably not enough to fork out for a PS4.

20. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    It's coming out on steam next year.

21. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I don't think my PCs would be up to it. Both are Win 7 laptops and quite old.