main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Cube

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by lorn_zahl, Apr 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lorn_zahl

lorn_zahl Jedi Master star 4

Oct 19, 2002
    I saw this movie when it came out and I was expecting something really sub par.

The movie was able to captivate with really little to no budget, the social dynamics were probably the most interesting and I was actually intrigued by the characters...which is a hard thing for me to do with any movie.

I never thought that the cop would turn into a bad guy either though after he dropped that lady it was pretty apparent..heh.

It's been a while since I saw Cube... what did you all think?

[image=http://www.haikosfilmlexikon.de/sf/cd/cube.JPG]

2. Darth_Pazuzu

Darth_Pazuzu Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2005
    Yeah, I totally agree! That movie's something of a minor classic in my book!

"I know this might be hard for you to accept, but there is no conspiracy! It's a headless blunder operating under the illusion of a master plan! Can you grasp that? Big Brother is not watching you!"

3. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    Cube is a great movie and I own it on DVD. It's a lot like Saw 2 in the fact there we watch a group of people trying to escape from somewhere while avoiding many death traps. The main difference is that the traps in Cube were hidden until triggered.

4. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Best. Canadian Movie. Ever.

There are also two sequels, Cube 2: Hypercube and Cube Zero. They're supposed to be sucky, but I still wanna check them out.

5. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Hypercube was so weird (that's the only thing I remember) that I never bothered to check out the third - I was actually shocked to see it on the shelf in the rental store.

Cube is quite fun. I love endings like that.

6. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 26, 2004
    My favorite quote.

Gawd, I love the movie. Simply incredible. I saw it on the SciFi Channel, naturally expecting a super crappy filmed-in-the-netherlands B movie, but it just blew me away.
    Hypercube was crap. Do not watch under any circumstances.
    However, Cube Zero was awesome. A little farfetched, but no more than the original Cube concept. I can't really explain how I feel about the movie. On one hand it was brilliantly executed in my opinion, some awesome characters, and of course loads of booby traps. On the other hand it (spoilerz) ruined the mystery of Cube by providing the back story that it did not need, explaining how it was indeed a Government project, as Halloway thought, and thus smashing the significance of the Pazuzu's quote. Cube and Cube Zero are both good but only as separate films.

7. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Hypercube actually deals a lot with a kind of time travel and weird 4th dimensional stuff. I've watched it three times and I still don't fully understand what's going on.

Cube Zero is the most different because it spends a lot of time outside the Cube, focusing on a technician who is watching the people inside. It also sheds some light onto Kazaan from the first movie (the autistic guy).

8. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2002
    Thank you, Darth-Lando, for saying Autistic instead of Retarded. It is absolutely horrible, not to mention painfully obnoxious, how so many people insist on referring to Kazan as "retarded" when he is clearly autistic.

Anyway

I found Cube to be one of the most terrifying and intense movies that I have ever seen. The complete and compelling depiction of several people put into an unimaginable situation, and their subsequent slow decline into insanity is chilling, fascinating, horrifying, and scarring all at once. Only thrice in all of cinema has a film managed to make me feel physically sick (all for different reasons) and Cube was one of the three. When Quentin (the cop) was holding Holloway (the doctor) over the edge of the Cube, ready to pull her up, we are shown one of the most brilliant scenes of acting. The very slight, subtle, but palpable shift on Quentin's face, from stressed leader to homicidal psychopath was so precise that one could miss it just by blinking, but at that moment, the characters thoughts were spelled out on his face.

Right then, I found myself silently moaning and feeling ill, knowing exactly what was going to happen next. In 99.9% of films, the death of a character barely manages to elicit an emotional hiccup. This time, however, I realized afterwards that I was thinking to myself 'no, no, don't do it. Please don't do it'

Alas, my silent protest was in vain.

That scene has stuck with me ever since, in a way that few movies can. Cube was something else, and it was spectacular.

9. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
    The Cube trilogy is one of my favourite trilogies, they are an amazing group of films with great concepts.

10. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    I thought this movie and the sequels were terrible. There just wasn't enough interesting substance for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.