main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Cue The "Super Friends" Theme! - DC "CW-verse" Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarkEagle, Oct 13, 2012.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Y'know this felt a bit more like a Prestige drama that happened to have Superman in it. It certainly looked great. FX looked better than most CW shows.

That nuclear cooldown and the shot of Clark revealing his powers to Lois was gorgeous.

not sure if this is set on the CW-verse, I think they switched General Lane from Supergirl (or was it only Lois' sister that showed up in S1?) Or the details of the kids life matches with Clark since he went through Crisis and suddenly he had teenage kids. (Would he get those memories back when Martian Manhunter restores his mind or did he only remember the one timeline). The multiverse does still exist but people on Earth Prime don't know it. Maybe this is Earth W for Widescreen Prestige drama. Probably is still the CW-verse though.

Well the most CW part of it was Not Timothy Chalamet Clark's son moping about and various teenage melodrama. I could call sheenanigans that Clark didn't notice the barn collapsing but he was mourning the death of his mother, his senses may have been off until it was too late.

So that baddie tormenting Clark the whole time certainly had a great kill Superman plan, fly him to space, stab him with kryoptonie and let him drop. Actually worked really well for a bit there. And "Captain Luthor", complaining about how his planet was gone. I'm definitely buying into the notion that a Luthor would be smart enough to escape the multiverse collapse. Hell, every one would probably be smart enough to escape the multiverse collapse (aside from the overtly snooty ones who were too overconfident to "evacuate in our moment of triumph?!" or whatever). I hope this doesn't mean we don't get Supergirl/John Cyer Luthor showing up. But maybe we'll get two Luthors instead!! That would be amazing.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
  2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    just finished it. gotta watch it again.

exceeded my expectations, just loved it. the first twenty minutes or so was incredibly special and emotional, a brilliant retelling of this version of kal's lore that did not feel remotely stale.

now, mostly good and one or two questionable things:

good:

[​IMG]

"thanks! my mom made it!" my smile nearly broke my face when i saw this.

- bitsie tulloch's lois is perfect - i enjoyed her in spots during the crossovers, but she's so much better in this premiere. i love that each of the twins have a parent that they're clearly more like (in different ways, turns out) - jonathan is tough in the all the ways his mom his, jordan is introverted and shares the insecurities that clark had, growing up.

- the cgi was so damn good. battle in tokyo (i assume) was incredible, loved the shots of kal breaking the sound barrier flying over water. nice callback to brandon routh's superman doing the same thing in superman returns, when he was torn between going to save lois/jason on luthor's yacht or metropolis, and opted for the latter.

- lana, speaking about martha kent. i have a feeling that although she was on-screen for less than a minute, martha's legacy and the people she helped at home (while clark did not) will be a big part of the show.

- the lang family, or whatever lana's husband's name is. the banter between the dad and his older daughter was funny, the banter between the dad (a maga bro, it sounds like) and lois was even better.

- editing of the main fight sequence - was done perfectly, going back and forth between the twins fighting at the bonfire and superman battling the traveler.

the questionable:

- superman taking a kryptonite dagger to the chest from someone who matches his strength, knows who he is, and is wearing a suit that he cannot harm - falling through the atmosphere, pulling it out, instantly healing, flying home, and not mentioning it again. bit rushed, lol. but it's okay, it's showing off the shiny stuff for the pilot, and laying groundwork.

- sam lane giving lois **** about marrying clark. they have twin teenagers, they've been married for at least 15 years. they're an old couple by now, felt completely out of place.

also lol @ jordan beating superman's ass in injustice 2 with raiden. loved that. this show is going to be fantastic - love the fresh take from a different period of lois and clark's life, one that hasn't been explored on-screen. love the optimism, hope, smiles. hoechlin is a special superman, that's been known for years - so happy he's getting his chance to shine here, with proper writing and proper effects.

tl;dr = LFG, superman is back on tv!

3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    So... no. That's not what's in EW.
    Speaking with Entertainment Weekly, Told Helbing revealed the primary villain of Superman & Lois’s first season is the obscure Professor Thaddeus Killgrave, an arms dealer of alien technology.

Also @heels1785 -- I loved this! It was fantastic! I don't know who all is saying this was dour, it was not! And that first line you quote also almost made me cry, it was perfect as the capper to basically the entire retelling.

It was literally the best on-screen retelling of Grant Morrison's favorite eight words (and even with that, filled in a lot of gaps without the eight words!):

[​IMG]

4. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    So okay yeah that wasn't in the episode. I read the EW articles and thought it was referring to the other one who was revealed at the end of the episode. That's annoying. It doesn't really make sense why they even released that when it hasn't been talked about at all.

@heels1785 Agreed on those first twenty minutes. It reminded me of Into the Spider-Verse where we covered the major beats we know of the character we love before entering a totally different story. And here, it was done with such care and reverance for Superman. And I think that is what comes through here most of all. In the same way that Brandon Routh tried to embue Clark with that true goodness that you can only get from Superman, Tyler has it too.

"Thanks! My mom made it!" was just so perfect for our big blue boy scout. And having it be the ORIGINAL costume to boot was even better!

I am glad that, unlike what Marvel did to Spider-Man, Lois and Superman have managed to fight their way back in DC- eventually ending with the New DC 52 Superman being completely replaced with classic Superman married to Lois and with his son. And I think Superman as a father especially really works. And what I like about this show is that he is absolutely NOT following the comics from now on. They are clearly charting their own path with the twins. Jordan of course is completely new and Jonathan is not the Jon Kent of the comics- and I think that's a good thing.

My hope is that Lois is given her due as well. While she had a few great moments and her reporter's senses were tingling, she definitely needs to get some more time to herself. Done right, Lois is absolutely a hero in her own right. Now, this is actually with the CW does have some experience. While I've never been a major fan of how Arrow handled Laurel, they did not repeat those mistakes with Iris and truly made her Barry's equal over time. The difference of course is that this Lois is already established as Clark's equal/match. Now, we need to really see it. She's great as the grounding force and supportive spouse- but she definitely needs to be given more room to grow- and I hope the show doesn't forget that- I think it is likely we'll see her

Focused on Morgan Edge. I do wonder if this means she quits the Planet and works for the local paper (or starts an online paper- but that would mimic Iris just a bit too much in my opinion).

Also heels- agreed that each kid has a parent they resemble. And I hope we do get to see more of that.

The only CGI that I think did not work (and is no surprise because I don't think it ever does in a tv show) was

Ice. Sorry, but there just isn't enough money to make ice look convincing like that. It just always looks fake in TV. I think back to Smallville's fortress of Solitude scenes with this as well. Something about animating ice has the issue of just looking fake if you don't have the budget for it.

Juliet316 and heels1785 like this.
  5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I mean, just the capper to the opening scene!
    [​IMG]

6. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    On my 5th rewatch of the pilot tonight, I realized that the episode doesn't end with Clark hugging his son on his front steps. There's a whole few scenes that I missed, including a rather big one at the end(!!), because of the way the show was recorded on my DVR.

Such an incredible story, and I am so damn excited for the season ahead.

Sith_Sensei__Prime and Yodaminch like this.
  7. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    Watched it again as well. I have the pilot saved on my DVR. Definitely one of the better pilots of a show. Can't wait for tonight!

Now having said that, I am increasingly getting ready to drop Batwoman. I gave it several episodes, but Ryan and her story are not hooking me. Alice is the only reason I'm still watching but I don't like Kane's story. I think Luke is just being done a disservice and I'm not a fan of where they're headed with Sophie. Plus Julia just disappears again.

Batwoman was the weakest of the shows last year and it was only Kate's story that really kept the show moving. Ryan is an admirable character, but having her basically try to function among all of the Kate plots still going on just isn't doing it for me. The show is literally focused on rescuing Kate with all characters involved. It just doesn't work. They should never have made Kate's disappearance a mystery.

Black Lightning on the other hand has me intrigued by how Jefferson is processing his grief and dealing (or not) with his loss. But I do think it is good the show is ending this season. They really don't have much else to do with Tobias.

Looking forward to Flash returning tonight. I've missed everyone saying "Run Barry Run" every other episode. :p

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    heels1785 likes this.
  8. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Ruby Rose's Batwoman Edited Out of Crisis on Infinite Earths Scene in Arrowverse Special

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Juliet316 and heels1785 like this.
  9. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
  10. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    So Flash...

It felt like it was missing something for much of the episode.
    The loss of Wells is going to hurt. When Harry came in for that last scene, it really showed what a loss it will be not to have Wells. I’m sure Tom will still be Thawne whenever but Wells has been such a constant that when Barry voiced his own fear of not having Wells around, that really helped demonstrate the impact. Was interesting HR was able to pop back in-he was already dead once. Not a fan of this sacrifice so Barry can get his speed but obviously the situation helped that choice and even though it was obvious Nash was going to make the sacrifice, it was still well done.

I’m not feeling Team Flash 2.0. I need the Cisco and Caitlin back. Though now that her maternity leave is done, probably won’t be an issue for Daniel to return. Thankfully, we still had Joe and Cecil to keep things going. The revelation Eva is the mirror version was also not too surprising given what her husband had said, but will be curious to see what happens next. More than ready for Iris and the rest to get out of there.

Now, Superman and Lois. Episode 2 continued building off a strong premiere and focused in on the impact on the two dependable members of the family: Lois and Jonathan

I was disappointed that Jordan learns of this whole new world only for “hologramps” to ruin it. But, it makes sense that his human half might not be as powerful and could set up some interesting storylines as we progress.

Meanwhile, seeing Jonathan paying for Jordan’s actions was typically high school. But it does a nice job of showing that Jonathan has his own struggles. He constantly minimizes his own problems in order to support his family. And even though Lois knows he’s lying, he still tries. I appreciated that Lois acknowledged his sacrifice but then he did the exact same for her. Jonathan definitely has Clark’s innate goodness based on that and what he said to Jordan at the end. I think this goes to Lois and Clark’s parenting- even though they are struggling, at their core, they have raised two good kids.

Lois- This is the Lois I love to see. Fierce and unafraid. I loved when she stood up at the town hall and you see a brief shot of the boys slapping their heads embarrassed that their mom has entered “Lois Lane” mode. Good to see Edge in person. Lois marching into his meeting to give him her best writing since he took over was *chef’s kiss. And her marching out as that woman threatened that Edge would destroy her. “Let him try”. Lois Lane is going to war.

Which brings me back to Lex. Not feeling it. These Superman scenes are incredibly well done, but I am more invested in the family than I am Superman. So I guess that is a testament to the writers and the actors. But that could be a problem if it keeps up.

ChrisLyne likes this.
  11. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003

answering the questions we all want to know. quality gremlins reference.

also this parenting > LET THE SCHOOL BUS FULL OF CHILDREN DROWN

Juliet316, ChrisLyne and Sarge like this.
  12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Couple of things, all spoilers...
    1) There's no chance that's the last of Wells and/or Tom Cavanaugh. He didn't even have a scene with Cisco. I'm sure there's some way of getting him back.

2) In re: Jordan -- and @heels1785 not sure your take on this -- but Jordan has only ever manifested his powers in specific circumstances. 1) Extreme emotional distress or danger and 2) in close proximity to his brother. Jonathan's his solar battery; they're twins. Jonathan stores the energy, Jordan uses it -- but they can't be effective separately...[

3) ... I don't think that's Lex?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
  13. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    for deeps and minchy

that's the prevailing theory on the twins - they need each other for jordan's powers to manifest. it is rather genius, in terms of building the unavoidable conflict. but the way the breakfast scene refers to different powers, i do wonder if both of them will have some of kal's abilities, but neither will have them all.

re: luthor - the likeliest explanation that i have heard is that it is lex, but from a dimension in which lex was the good guy, and kal was evil. like injustice, or similar. general luthor's world got wrecked in crisis, he somehow ended up on e-1, and believes that by killing good kal, he will prevent bad kal in the future on his new world. the existence of general luthor doesn't mean that jon cryer's lex luthor isn't still around, though.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yeah, I'd actually thought that this is just a Luthor from another universe collapsed in the Crisis -- and just blames Superman -- but that Superman they showed was definitely a broken-bad Clark...

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  15. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    dp:

Agreed Tom will be back. Wells is now part of the artificial speed force. So he may talk to Barry quite a bit. And also, Thawne is still out there.

Regarding Jordan:

I like the idea that Jonathan stores the energy, but I thought Jor-El specifically indicated Jordan was the one storing the energy but that he can't store enough. I mean, it works that in both moments Jordan's powers manifested Jonathan was there. I guess we'll see if that continues to happen or not.

Regarding the Stranger
    Yeah, the only question here is how he came to this Earth. My thinking is Lex (Cryer) made sure in his book of spells to save EVERY Luthor. In so doing, Captain Luthor survives and makes it to this Earth. We don't know how much time passed between black suit murdering Superman and Crisis, but it could well be that crisis distacted evil Supes and Lex made his getaway, only to watch his Earth go boom (blaming evil Supes when it was actually the Antimonitor) and ending up in the reformed new Earth that Ollie and the others (including Lex) made. We know Lex made himself the hero in National City, so no reason to believe he didn't also make sure all versions of him survived - and didn't do the Beth/Alice thing.

heels1785 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  16. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    yah there's been a wee bit of a wobble about alt-verse versions on Earth Prime on the CW shows. Supergirl had two alt versions hanging out all good at the bar. Beth/Alice basically were going to die because they couldn't exist in the same verse. Maybe it just worked differently on different people, total chance.

as for Lex, any Lex, he's smart enough to make sure he doesn't crush reality by having two of him running around. But Earth 1 Lex seems like he'd be okay if he made sure he was the only Luthor. There was a Crisis tie-in comic issue that had a Council of Luthors and he was just generally annoyed at the lot of them.

heels1785 likes this.
  17. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    So @dp4m

Well...
    Or should I say Wells...

I guess there must be a requirement that Tom play a different Wells every year. But bringing back to the original Harrison Wells- what prompted that? This will be interesting since he has none of the council of Wells knowledge nor anything else really.

Do we think this was a result of Barry destroying the artificial speedforce?

Also, yay Frost is back!

Barry losing all emotion was pretty creepy. I admit at the end, I thought we were going to learn he had done his speed thinking thing and all of that never happened and he just imagined it. For them to actually do that makes it so much worse. And poor Iris, Singh and Kamilla!

So Cisco has his Babel protocols- and clearly they need a re-write.

Now as to Superman and Lois. I just love this show. I actually purchased the season on amazon so I can watch commercial free.

The bridge scene was well done. And of course Jonathan would want to know all the weird stuff his father heard... I did find it interesting that Clark was monitoring Jordan. Had he actually got into a fight, Jordan might have harmed/killed the kid given he is strong enough to send other football players flying several feet. I get that Jonathan thinks that might balance out for Jordan's size, but a first with focused energy could probably do far more damage than a full body hit on the field.

Having said that, I appreciated that Clark took some heat for showing up to rescue Jordan and that Jordan then (of course) kept football from Clark. I do appreciate how loyal Jonathan is to his brother and how he tries to guide him but ultimately lets him do what he wants. I do however think Jonathan is slowly getting ready to blow. He's given up a lot for Jordan. And now, Jordan is the darling of the Football team while he is second string QB. He doesn't really have friends outside of the team- and again it looks like Jordan is making more. And his girlfriend is likely dumping him soon if they haven't already. And of course, he doesn't have powers (that we know of). And while Lois sees it, she's also gone into full Lois Lane mode with her story on Edge. And Clark's attention is on Jordan. So I do think the easy son is about to reach his own breaking point.

Lois- I really love Elizabeth's take on Lois. I think my favorite moment was her looking at her car on fire with a look that clearly said "Not this again." And I also chuckled at her telling Clark it was 50/50 that she'd bring the truck back. That she is so unfazed by these things shows how seasoned a reporter she is. Even when she is attacked, she managed to fight back and calmly call Superman. Also, the speed at which he arrived was great. Sometimes it seems like he is arriving to places slowly, but there, he arrived in seconds- I'm sure it helps that New Carthidge was nearby.

Also, no Captain Luthor today. And it seems like Edge is building his own Super army. Likely that is what Sharon's son was turned into- his "opportunity of a lifetime." It's a bit 'Iron Man 3' for me at the moment, but we'll see what they do with it.

Lastly, Clark joining as Assistant Coach is interesting (and another great example of Lois and Clark's teamwork)- but what will he do the moment someone is in danger? I think he'll be fired at some point.

heels1785 likes this.
  18. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    good call, minchy - i just did the same on amazon. hbo max will eventually have it, but i'd like to show support for this brilliant show, and avoid fast forwarding through endless used car lot ads on my local cw channel.

19. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yeah, so this was a bit of a weird one...
    I absolutely can't tell with OG Wells... since I couldn't necessarily tell if there was the passage of time, that scene of him killing Wells is in the year 2000, so does this put Wells alive back for 20+ years? What's going to happen with Wells and STAR Labs? Could Eobard have given it away if not actually his?

What I'd actually thought is if Wells used his bioreceptors to create the artificial Speed Force was that Barry would see him in the Speed Force, and that the accelerated thinking was maybe him tapping into Harry Wells' brainwaves -- so now that Barry theoretically destroyed it, I've no idea what's going on.

And I think Allegra's gonna start wearing the hat from the picture to honor Nash.

Yodaminch likes this.
  20. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    Just have to join in the praise for Superman & Lois. Absolutely loving the show so far!

21. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I've been thoroughly enjoying Superman & Lois myself; however, I'm cautiously optimistic of the show going forward because it's a CW TV show. I'd be more optimistic if this was a HBO Max series.

That being said, I love how this show values the two sides of Superman; Clark Kent and the Man of Steel. Superman & Lois uses the Clark Kent side of the Superman coin to make him relatable and create empathy by the audience and uses the Man of Steel side of the coin to satisfy the god like aspects of the character and his impact on the world. Many writers of Superman may see Clark Kent as a disguise and a commentary on Superman's views of humanity <cough> Quentin Tarantino <cough>, which is far from what the Clark Kent really is. Superman see himself as Clark Kent first and foremost.

[​IMG]

22. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    hbo is footing the bill on this show and stargirl. if they hand the show completely off to cw, then i'd expect a drop-off in quality. until then, no reason to expect it.

23. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    nice to see an opening scene of this week Superman and Lois set in Canada since all the CW-shows are shot in Canada so that's like the third one ever ahahah

anyway good lines here "Well, that's why he plays defence" and "Actually my accent is genuine, I was raised in-" "Oh my God, who cares!"

So did they say they found a stash of Ex-Kryptonite at the end there? Looked like a whole lot of different colours so it'll be great if they run through the gamut of wacky different Kryptonite.

ChrisLyne, Yodaminch and heels1785 like this.
  24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Yodaminch, BigAl6ft6 and heels1785 like this.
  25. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Lois' "Oh my God, who cares!" totally reminded me of another dark haired female investigator; one Jessica Jones played by Krysten Ritter. Then I started to imagine if Krysten Ritter's Jessica Jones was married to Clark Kent. Also, Jessica Jones' season one villain was a man known as Kilgrave.

I think I would be so much more in love with this show if Krysten Ritter played Lois Lane gave the character some Jessica Jones vibes.

[​IMG]

BigAl6ft6 likes this.