main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Cult Encounters and Supernatural Encounters (even more new Legends material!)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sinrebirth , Dec 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I don't remember!

Actually I do remember now and I thought the implication was that Jacen caused the comics to happen decades later rather than 40 ABY.

But other people I spoke to at the time were convinced it somehow decanonized them.

2. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    There's this interview with Denning from just after Apocalypse came out:

Amon_Amarth and Hamburger_Time like this.
  3. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Krayt sort of came across like Dr Claw there in Apocalypse

4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It seems to be more "one of the dark gods, a "fallen demon", turned against the rest and helped throw them down".

The "shuffling" and "winged horrors" seem consistent with Mnggal-Mnggal's creations. I would speculate that Mnggal-Mnggal itself is a creation or avatar of the Soulworm - which is a "sibling deity" to the entity known as Waru.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
  5. AV-6R7

AV-6R7 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2014
    Weird how it seems that Rur was referred to as both a Sunesi and a Siniteen.

6. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Cult Encounters is... well, most of what I wanted from the EU.

(The mention now makes part of me now wants Cult of Varn in Solo.)

7. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    Oooooh, this is exciting stuff--Cult Encounters has been mentioned in whispered tones for nearly as long as I've been an EU fan, so it's great to finally get a chance to read it. Here's hoping the Supernatural Encounters article isn't far behind.

On a really obscure personal note, I'm pleased to see the connection drawn between Vianism (from "Death in the Slave Pits") and the Pius Dea Goddess (from "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji"?), which is something I would have liked to do had I been aware of the other material being developed for Hyperspace at the time. (Been bugging me for eight years now, lol. :D)

That was confusing. I think what the article is saying is that he was a Sunesi, but had a brain comparable in size and ability to a Siniteen. (Large brain aside, Rur in the comics doesn't particularly resemble either one, but it's not a bad retcon either way. Though I just learned from Wookieepedia that apparently he's been canonized by the new Marvel comics as a human, so [face_dunno] [face_laugh])

8. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    And then to connect the Goddess to Abeloth is all the more pleasing to me.

Oh all the things to make it across a reboot it would be the heretical Order of the Terrible Glare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    Though it might conflict with the overall tone, I hope Supernatural Encounters covers the weather-controlling siblings, Mount Sorrow, and other odd mystical beings from Endor.

Iron_lord likes this.
  10. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    It's already given us the Night Spirit from the same series, after all.

I think Castaways of Endor went into some detail, going by Wookieepedia - but that was on Hyperspace, which isn't available anymore.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  11. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Gorog - a curious reference.

I quite like how the writer has information wrong too - references to more than six God’s of the original double trinity.

Adherents of the Dark Pantheon seem to acquire odd powers; however do we see Xendor managing to take his double-trinity beliefs inside the Jedi Order? Or the warrior-queen growing back her teeth when she escaped? Constipex somehow obtaining the Jedi Council’s all but unanimous approval despite having incredibly negative intent? The Five? It’s deeply curious.

darklordoftech likes this.
  12. Hamburger_Time

Dec 13, 2010
    I can't recall where I heard this theory, but I once heard someone speculate that both Mount Sorrow and the Black Cavern are shipwrecked B'rknaa who have been on Endor for centuries and have assimilated so much stone into themselves they've become part of the landscape, as is typical of elderly members of their race. I really like that idea.

darklordoftech, Iron_lord and jSarek like this.
  13. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The double trinity:

Lesser
    Typhojem
    Gorog
    Ooru

Greater
    Kopa Khan
    The Inscrutable One
    The Soulworm

Not part of either
    Lady with the Locust Heart
    The Shunned Deity (former member of Greater Deity group)
    Father of Shadows (Not one of either Trinity - possible progenitor of all the evil gods)

Given the hints in previous info that Father of Shadows is a title for Typhojem - it does make sense that "not one of the trinities" is an initial error.

14. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    The Shunned one being presumably the Dark God who killed the Five...?

It makes me wonder which of the Six rose up in place of the Shunned Deity...

... further, Typhojem killed a God, but does that reference God’s that predate even these Dark Gods?

The Lady with the Locust Heart being Abeloth and thus post-dating the Dark Gods (or overlapping with), seems logical, and of course not part of the Dark Pantheon.

Mmhmm.

15. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    That was my initial theory:

Though it does raise the question of how five cultists managed to capture a greater deity/demon in the first place.

16. Hamburger_Time

Dec 13, 2010
    I really like the idea of Wutzek being the traitor. It would explain why the Five captured him, and he doesn't seem particularly malevolent - at the very least he killed the bad guys and spared the good and seemingly didn't bother anyone again.

Perhaps he joined up with the Celestials to throw the Dark Gods down, making him, essentially, Star Wars' answer to Prometheus, the trickster Titan of Greek lore?

Iron_lord likes this.
  17. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The phrasing, of how the Five thought they understood evil - but only truly understood it after Wutzek killed them and absorbed their souls, did seem to have an element of Eviler Than Thou.

18. Hamburger_Time

Dec 13, 2010
    Wutzek's description as "evil" in the story was always kind of odd to me - like I said he never does anything that bad and judging by the fact that he never intrudes on Galactic civilization again despite being free, I guess, means he's content to stay out in the Unknown Regions doing... whatever fallen Force-gods like to do.

19. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    He did "absorb their souls" at least - and there's a strong implication that he's subjecting those souls to eternal torment.

I could agree with him being less of a threat than the deities with the cults though.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  20. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I wonder if the 5 inherited the prison of Wutzek.

Iron_lord likes this.
  21. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    They do talk like they were responsible, when they're gloating:

"All that power, all that intelligence ... and we tricked him"

It's possible though that, centuries old as the Five are, they found a derelict ship that had originally been owned by far more ancient cultists - are emulating them, and have lost sight of the fact that the ancient owners are the "real thing" and that they aren't.

22. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    They felt like emulators to me - braggarts of the worst sort.

23. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    Oh, reading the devilworlds stuff I always assumed that they imprisoned it.

Iron_lord and Sinrebirth like this.
  24. Landb

Landb Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 7, 2017
    Great to see this, I'd been weighing the pros and cons of shamelessly begging for scraps of information on this and the Supernatural Encounters article/novella for years now.

Most importantly though:
    Oh yes. This is the good stuff.

25. Hamburger_Time

Dec 13, 2010
    I'd like to see Grant Morrison take a crack at writing these beings. His stories commonly have themes of higher planes of existence, godlike beings, order vs. chaos, and other stuff that make you feel like you're taking an acid trip, plus many of them were created by his mentor-turned-rival, Alan Moore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.