main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Cult Encounters and Supernatural Encounters (even more new Legends material!)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sinrebirth , Dec 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I am!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    I would be

3. DarthSienna

DarthSienna Jedi Master star 1

May 27, 2011
    Edit: I felt bad about sharing the link publicly. Not sure if against the rules or not, so erring on the side of caution.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  4. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    On Chaos seemingly being "empty," I think there's two possible interpretations. As mentioned, it could be that Chaos is Purgatory, not Hell, with evil souls being slowly "cleaned" of darkness. The other possibility is that the irredeemably evil are simply annihilated entirely after death, which is the case in some real-world mythologies such as Ancient Egyptian.

5. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I read all three today...

... they’re astounding, to be honest.

The connectivity between Kenobi, Anakin, Krayt, Jacen, Vergere... it’s quite tragic, almost.

cherifzachary likes this.
  6. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    @Iron_lord, just saw the tag, but I'm absolutely clueless. Am I supposed to read the book that was free to download, that this thread is about or something else? Feel free to PM me with details or something. You had me at Endorian mysticism!

7. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Making my way through the 3rd story. Love it. Felt nice going back to Yavin 4 again. Haven’t seen it since Conquest right?

Sinrebirth likes this.
  8. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    How do you reconcile Vitiate with Sidious?

9. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    What trilogy is this?

10. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    https://m.fanfiction.net/s/12956484/1/Star-Wars-Sword-of-the-Jedi-I-Remembrance

11. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Dp

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  12. cherifzachary

cherifzachary Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 16, 2018
    I have no idea how you guys were able to read the fan made Sword Of the Jedi trilogy so fast but yeah there is alot of fun nuggets in there. I always loved the paralels between Jacen Anakina and Krayt and even Tahiri. The few continuity issues in the story are the following:

The author mistakenly assumes that Krayt phisically went to the Maw to fight Abeloth. According to Pablo Hidalgo, only Krayt's spirit went to fight Abeloth.
    The author skips over the event of crucible. As such no mention is made of Vestara's stint as Lady Raine or her association with Mitra Ghev, the granddaughter of boba fett and the biggest motivation for Boba in this Trilogy.

Luke's personality is a bit out of continuity at the beginning of the trilogy, although his conclusions at the end of the trilogy lines up well with those of the wizened Luke from the unifying force. Luke starts off actively hunting down the one sith which seems to go against his conlusions about the light and the dark side being necessary to maintain the balance in Appocalypse, to hold off Abeloth, and in Crucible, as per his vision in the monolith. To be honest I always felt that Troy Denning came up with those conclusions for Luke to explain why he did not hunt down Krayt. I personally like what the fan fiction writer came up with better, because I cannot abide the idea that a Jedi Grand Master would conciously let a future tyrant off the hook in the name of holding a cosmic blance together.

The final mistake the trilogy makes is assuming that the Jedi know were Kesh is.

I loved how the trilogy expanded the throne of balance vision in a way that made sense. It also made the visions of the dark man saying mine mine more sense. I love the name Darth Nether for white eyes.

Xammer and kalzeth like this.
  13. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    I've decided to edit the Season Deities' pages on the Wook to add the new information on them to the behind the scenes section, using Rur's backstory from Cult Encounters as a template. Hopefully this will spur more people to add stuff from the article.

Also hopefully I didn't screw up.

Sinrebirth and darklordoftech like this.
  14. DarthJaceus

DarthJaceus Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 6, 2016
    Could you PM me a link to the PDF? It would be much appreciated

DarthSienna likes this.
  15. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    And me

16. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    What is there to reconcile?

darklordoftech likes this.
  17. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    This is the post with the link to the story - you just read it on the site - as far as I can tell, it's not a download:

Chapters 7 and 8 (especially 8) and Chapter 30 have most of the Ewoks-centric stuff.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  18. Sable_Hart

Nov 28, 2009
    I should say how do you compare and contrast them?

19. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Ah, I see.

I do consider Darth Sidious to more a Sith who has achieved incredible power as the legacy of the Baneite’s, and responsible for the balance completing breaking. He is power incarnate.

Vitiate is the Father of Shadows intervening directly, perhaps even spinning the smallest amount of his power out; his feats are a plumbing to rediscover depths that he already knows exist.

PCCViking and Mostlymad like this.
  20. Sable_Hart

Nov 28, 2009
    Thanks. The trouble I have with this possibility, personally, is that it seems to confer more menace and cosmic importance to Vitiate.

But if you look at the lore, it’s just not there. Sidious’s actions catalyzed the emergence of the Chosen One and the Emperor’s death at Endor balanced the Force.

For all Vitiate’s immense power and significance for the timeframe, his death in the SWTOR expansions did not bring balance to the Force and wasn’t nearly as cosmically significant.

Besides which, while I consider Vitiate at his best to be in Palpatine’s league, it should be noted that it took him 14 centuries and eating 8,000 Sith Lords to achieve that. Palpatine, on the other hand, was performing Vitiate tier feats and accomplishments after mere decades and with no fellow Sith Lords to eat and absorb.

My point here being, it seems bizarre to think that the Emperor is so clearly more prodigious and accomplished than a vessel possessed by the Father of Shadows. And yet he is.

Hence, I suppose, my use of the word “reconcile.” If, as some suggest, the Father of Shadows is the Devil or Morgoth and Vitiate is his vessel and Vitiate is a prodigy with 14 centuries of mastery under his belt as well as the absorbed power of thousands of Sith Lords... doesn’t it seem bizarre that he’d be so utterly upstaged cosmically and politically by a (relatively) more mundane* Darth Sidious?

*A notion I use purely for the purposes of discourse, since there’s plenty to indicate from Stover’s ROTS to Luceno’s Darth Plagueis and all that is Dark Empire that Sidious was sufficiently eldritch and otherworldly: a black hole of the Force, the shadow, a living dark side nexus that Luke encounters on Byss.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    kalzeth, Sinrebirth and Mostlymad like this.
  21. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Sidious did mention the sensation of being ‘claimed’ by the dark side when he became Dark Lord. He was already prodigious enough to kill Plagueis, so there is a certain confluence of events around Sidious too.

I view Vitiate, Sidious and to a lesser extent Krayt as each something special but also the legacy of what came before. Vitiate plumbed the depths for a century and had the help of Zildrog, created by a cult of Old One worshippers, and then 1300 years to attain the heights of Revan and the Outlander. But it is an indication of his import cosmically - from a certain point of view you have Revan and the eight Outlanders coming to stop him.

Arguably Sidious only had the one Chosen One, but he ended up having to handle several with the potential, as did Darth Krayt, who stands out more as an oddity as he stood beside Grandmaster Luke against Abeloth, but arguably Krayt is the creation of the imbalance of the Force...

... and Abeloth mentions that Grand Lord Vol is as powerful as Luke, and he’s the product of 5,000 years of concentrated Sith refinement - not a 1,000 years like Sidious.

Mostlymad and PCCViking like this.
  22. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Just finished it myself. Loved it. Felt like the proper send-off the EU should have gotten imo.

Loved the Rogue and Wraith Squadron reunion/memorial/party thing at the end. Wedge and Syal's (His Sister) reunion was touching. Shame the EU never did it.
    Luke watching that message from Biggs to him. Damn. The Feels.
    Appearances by Anakin Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Vergere, Mara, etc. Kad'ika sensing his mother, Anakin welcoming his brother home, and with Tahiri.
    Loved the wrap-up for the Mando's as well.
    Elscol Loro, Fy'lyor, Miranda Fardreamer, and Bren Araf'ja were some of my favorite characters. I liked their journeys.
    Daala wasn't going to go out any other way.
    Jaina burying the sabers and watching the sunrise was a very poetic ending.
    This fic also helped me accept plot lines from DNT onwards as they are and brought them to a mostly satisfying conclusion.
    Still not 100% happy with Darth Krayt interacting with Luke, Jaina, Jacen and Ben and him and Jacen having visions of Cade and other Legacy events. Cade being part of the Throne of Balance according to Jacen. Fine. Jacen realizing that Krayt won't die today but will at some point. Fine. Krayt getting mysterious visions of Cade Skywalker, ok. Maybe the one where he see's himself without the armor in War. Maybe if I read Legacy again, I can sync it all up. Just have to wait and see. Though, no answer for Ania either.
    Wish we got more Legacy comic era material about the start of the Imperial-Sith War. The rogue Vong armada here does raise the warning flags during the Ossus project about the Vong possibly causing trouble again.
    Krayt defeated here, slinked off for decades, just to come back again. Also people know his identity. Did K'khruk and company know already or after Cade told them? The Hidden Temple wasn't built until Kol and his brother's time right? Kol and company suspected Sith involvement but couldn't prove it until they arrived in the war? I'm honestly just going off of memory of my time reading the series.
    Tahiri finally found her place.
    As did Scut and Danni Quee (nice seeing her again).
    And loved Ben and Vestara's last stand together.
    Regardless, loved it. Emotional ending to the EU generation of the Skywalker/Solo family.

Sinrebirth and Xammer like this.
  23. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    @Sinrebirth I was Reminded of Vitiate and ur theory about him being the father of shadows intervening directly as I was reading the preview for next week's Web of Venom : Carnage born #1 . [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  24. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Might Talzin be an avatar of Abeloth?

25. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    She was honestly too small-fry. As powerful as she was, her aims were very limited, while Abeloth has always aimed high.

kalzeth likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.