main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Cult Encounters and Supernatural Encounters (even more new Legends material!)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sinrebirth , Dec 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    So.. after this is done... what will Joe write next? And will this get tweaked with new canon evolving new ideas in a few years maybe? Yearly is no option anymore I think.

2. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    Joe's said he's been trying to get pieces of Legends apocrypha by writers other than himself published on the site, too, including "lost" novels like Escape from Dagu. According to him many of the writers are concerned about violating NDAs etc., but he says that isn't actually relevant and they're misunderstanding things. I wonder who's right here?

3. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Well he got quite a collection up already and more in the pipeline as we know. Only some authors are more careful and having ready my fair share of not yet public material and lost content I can say, I hope one day I can discuss it with others.

Another interesting question: Authors arn't forbidden from being fans or writing fanfiction. Recently a fundraiser for charity had Charles Soule write Ben Solo fanfiction animated for a podcast. And authors of old like Charlene Newcomb and others expanded their official SW contributions to the WEG Adventure journal with more fanfiction and unreleased content on their websites. Like Bungo and Rusti stuff too or Garos IV stuff with Charlene.

Why arn't authors doing more fanfiction? Even if paid like for charity?

We could get more decent Legends continuations that way with a few willing authors. Someone even once suspected me to be an official author undercover in fandom. Lol... well, if I am I wouldn't admit it.

4. harryhenry

harryhenry Jedi Master star 1

Apr 19, 2015
    I think a lot of them DO just assume you can't write unofficial fanfiction since they've worked with the company.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  5. Darth Fandom

Darth Fandom Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 14, 2019
    This is something Joe posted on his news page the other day:
    You can find the six new chapters here.

harryhenry and darklordoftech like this.
  6. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013

So what is new? We need a list or quotes!

7. Chrissonofpear2

Chrissonofpear2 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 25, 2020
    Do any of these include a temporal warp where Cosmic Wars 1 to 3 never happened, allowing Cosmic Wars 7 to begin afresh...? [face_laugh]

8. harryhenry

Apr 19, 2015
    As Joe notes, it's not too different from the version previously released. But there ARE some added passages, especially in the Osseria chapter

Darth Corydon and darklordoftech like this.
  9. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
  10. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    crossposting from another topic due to relevance ;)

Thoughts?

11. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    This is the most exciting upcoming component of Star Wars. Otherwise, it largely feels like Star Wars is over.

12. harryhenry

Apr 19, 2015
    Ouch. I wouldn't be that harsh, I'm still hoping cool ideas can still appear in the future.

13. CernStormrunner

CernStormrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 6, 2000
    Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Well the Sharu were a Firstborn race, as were "the noble Mu-Ab"

"The Mu-Ab had been divided into two peaceful, co-existing groups: the storytellers (the Ysandun) and the crafters (the Orris). The storytellers regaled the worlds with grand works of poetry and epic verse that spread the galaxy over. The Orris were the craftsmen of their cities and technology. When they put their talents together, it was said there was nothing they could not accomplish. Together they had fashioned the earliest sapient droids based on a Celestial design provided them, the Ki’tokt, to serve as personal aides, fellow-workers, and companions for their children, for the Ki’tokt were potbellied and gentle. The second of their living creations were the more advanced Silentium. These were the dreamchildren of the Mu-Ab, powerful, elegant and wise."

Iron_lord and ColeFardreamer like this.
  14. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013

Thx! Seems all gels with my above connections and discoveries. But the Sharu being a Firstborn race like the Mu-Ab too seems to imply starshaped refers to celestials indeed instead of any starfish shaped species.

This now makes me wonder if the humanoid Celestials, the Ones, are in fact just a humanoid apparition of actual celestials who as we know can show themselves to each species looking like one of their own. What if the real Celestial is not the Ones but Mortis itself? The trio was just how it appeared to interact with its visitors? Like the Force Priestesses were several unique appearances of one and the same principle, the celestial world Yoda visited?

Going by this theory onwards, it is interesting how one of these "celestial gods" fell for a mere mortal servant, Abeloth. Like Zeus took human brides aplenty. Zonama Sekot also used to appear humanoid to its visitors and interact with them via an avatar kinda. And the entire ascension to celestial status angle of FOTJ seems to imply humanoids and mere mortals can become ascended celestials. Human consciousness can evolve and grow into a planetary consciousness.

This actually gels and seems to be inspired from real world esoterics. Whatever one thinks of them, some esoteric schools believing in the immortal soul and rebirth also speak of ascension to become planetary masters/grandmasters and further as with each live you accumulate more lesser souls and grow into group souls, planetary souls etc. in a conscious alive universe. (reading Carlos Dorofati's books helps to get that point)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
    Iron_lord and darklordoftech like this.
  15. harryhenry

Apr 19, 2015
    New update, and this one’s a huge surprise:
    So yes, an obscure Scholastic series I hadn’t even heard of until now will be incorporated into the Extended Edition.

16. Dream-Thinker

Dream-Thinker Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2020
    Yeah...this is fanfiction.

Which is fine! I like fanfiction, especially well-written fanfiction that fires up the imagination like this.

But it becomes increasingly difficult to justify calling this "official" in any capacity when he throws in random crossover stuff (which, again, I like but is very much a fanfic thing.)

All that aside, I would be curious to see how he incorporates The Seventh Tower as a quick google shows it to be a fantasy series. Then again, Star Wars is space-fantasy so... *shrugs*

Sinrebirth likes this.
  17. harryhenry

Apr 19, 2015
    I do get what you mean, but then again... reading the Wikipedia page for the series, and the worldbuilding here does feel something that COULD fit into Star Wars. The talk of Sunstones etc. reminds me of the similar "Sunstar" from the Ewoks cartoon.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Seventh_Tower#The_world_and_its_people

Dream-Thinker likes this.
  18. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I don’t see that update on the Facebook page.

19. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    http://www.starwarstimeline.net/latest_news.htm

darklordoftech likes this.
  20. Darth Corydon

Aug 4, 2018
    naw its fine

21. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    Most of the "crossover" stuff has just been what you might call "winks" - like an offhand mention of a species resembling the Predators. We'll see where this goes though.

Will admit I'm getting a bit concerned Joe might be getting a bit overambitious, though. Seems like he's trying to incorporate every little bit of "Lucasfilm apocrypha" into this thing.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
  22. harryhenry

Apr 19, 2015
    I wonder if he's gonna also add Strange Magic or Twice Upon a Time or something, lol.
    Also, I see Joe's likely reading this thread, since he just released a post to Facebook clarifying how these Seventh Tower books will fit into the EE.

23. CernStormrunner

CernStormrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 6, 2000
    [​IMG]

Dream-Thinker likes this.
  24. Darth Corydon

Aug 4, 2018
    strange magic could work . I wonder if hell go beyond put stuff made in the same vein I.E Dark crystal

25. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I've never read these books and I'd never heard of them until yesterday, but it seems like the references to them have been in the story the whole time and we just didn't notice them. He's just saying that he put them on the timeline on his website.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.