main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Cult Encounters and Supernatural Encounters (even more new Legends material!)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sinrebirth , Dec 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Landb

Landb Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 7, 2017
    I mean, given the reuse of familiar names like Rur, Garn, and so on, we know they're familiar with Devilworlds, which is the origin of the bulk of the stuff Cult Encounters is expanding on.

2. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    Supernatural Encounters has been confirmed for Halloween 2018! I bet it's going to put this one to shame in creep factor!

3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I can't wait that long.

Sinrebirth and Hamburger_Time like this.
  4. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Yessssss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Hamburger_Time

Dec 13, 2010
    As nightmarish as merely meeting the WORSHIPPERS of the Old Ones is, I can only wonder what face-to-face encounters would be like...

Sinrebirth likes this.
  6. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Is it sad that this excites me way more than Solo? It’s probably on a par with Rebels and Thrawn Alliances at present!

Force Smuggler and blackmyron like this.
  7. Landb

Landb Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 7, 2017
    Makes sense tbh.

Even for a fan of the new canon, ultimately Solo is just another movie. Which isn't a big event since we know there's going to be one every year until it stops being a license to print money. It could be very good, a load of fun, but in the greater scheme of things it's not something that feels unique and 'special'. Weird to think of Star Wars films that way, but that's the nature of an annual-or-shorter release cycle, regardless of the quality of the product.

Whereas this is part of the very finite amount of kinda-sorta-official Legends content that remains unreleased that we're ever likely to see. Add to that that this particular piece is on a very weird, very niche, but still fun and interesting topic, and has been known about and speculated about for years. It's a unique thing, and even if it's disappointing it's likely to be interesting.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  8. Hamburger_Time

Dec 13, 2010
    So just yesterday I was made aware of... this thing:

[​IMG]

The Hell? What is it? An Old One? Probably at least, I dunno, their gardener or something.

9. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    What is that from?

10. Hamburger_Time

Dec 13, 2010
    An obscure UK-only comic going by Wookieepedia.

11. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
  12. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    A bit of a question for anyone here-I was reading about the Pius Dea goddess yesterday and thinking of the Yuuzhan Vong deities as well as other deities in the star wars universe.

I was wondering-do we have any evidence even evidence mostly based on speculation that these deities exist in some way or another?

Are there "gods" in the Star Wars universe? Besides the Ones and arguably the celestials more broadly?

13. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Did we not have understanding that the God’s were the ur-Yuuzhan Vong’s interpretation of Sekot?

I’m more curious about the Mandalorian Gods.

14. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    The Ewoks, in addition to spirits embodying forces of nature, also worship gods. So do the Gungans (their pantheon includes Oma-Oma, Mekamok, Nododo, Balmtop, Wamka Pol, Gobba, Dobbis, and Balam). RThe Naboo and the Corellians were, at least at one point in their history, polytheists. The former notably had the moon goddess Shiraya and the Goddess of Safety, and the latter Kiax and Ivax. The Massassi worshipped Yavin, and the Trandoshans the Scorekeeper.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    Sinrebirth and darklordoftech like this.
  15. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Yeah but the Vong gods weren't gods as much they were distorted representations of Yuuzhan'tar.

16. SheaHublin

SheaHublin Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 15, 2008
    While I'm the first person to include the most obscure EU stuff into personal head-canon, that whole scene just works better if it's a simple nightmare of some sort, rather than anything real.

17. SheaHublin

Feb 15, 2008
    That's enough time for us all to comb through the various dusty corners of the EU and make sure that nothing important gets overlooked, and also to make clear in this thread (and others) several connections that the authors might otherwise overlook.

The Cosmic War that multiple early EU works mentioned, for example...

...I'll have more on this...

18. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I look forward to it!

SheaHublin likes this.
  19. Hamburger_Time

Dec 13, 2010
    It would be nice if we could contact them between now and then with things not to forget somehow, yeah.

SheaHublin and Sinrebirth like this.
  20. SheaHublin

Feb 15, 2008
    One other thing that stands out among all of the EU are the 5 pages making up the Visionaries story The Fourth Precept. What exactly is happening in them has never been explicitly laid out, nor has any timeframe of the events within. Some say they take place before all other stories, and others indicate at the end. I've always considered The Fourth Precept to take place long before any other stories, chronologically. With all the recent talk about beyond ancient myths and entities and long, long ago events, there is an amazing opportunity to confirm the "events" depicted, and to set them before all other stories chronologically. I personally have always considered them to depict the creation of the midi-chlorians (at the end), an ancient view of ships fleeing ancient Coruscant/Notron to avoid a tremendous Cosmic War, a volcano that can now be associated with Abeloth (perhaps even her creation), horrific eldritch entities that are exactly what come to mind when reading Cult Encounters, and just a general sense of this being the beginning of everything in the EU. Of all the EU, only this is suitably "epic" in depiction to be at the very beginning.

[​IMG]
    ...Is it just me, or do those two have quite the resemblance to the Force Priestesses:
    [​IMG]

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Force_Priestesses/Legends

[​IMG]
    ... the various Old Ones, Elder Gods, etc hinted at throughout the Cult Encounters article? This is exactly how I imagined them while reading it.

[​IMG]
    A volcano- Abeloth associated?
    Powerful being battling across the stars on diverse planets (the Cosmic War)!
    What sure looks like an earlier, less developed version of ancient Coruscant/Notron seen from orbit (just note the resemblance) and rocket-thrust ships fleeing said world. Bear in mind the rocket ships lifting off, it'll be important later...
    [​IMG]
    Bizarre crafts and constructs crossing between the stars, clearly not nice ones going by the skull ornamentation. Two more (or the same?) beings fighting and warring between the planets...
    [​IMG]
    ...leading to all kinds of supernovae and galaxy-wide spreading of the midi-chlorians to keep the Force balanced between Light and Dark. There is no Death, there is the Force. The Fourth Precept.

Notice how all of the various demon/creature/entities/beings are all gone by the end of the story, never to be seen again, banished from the story and in-Universe from the Galaxy itself, their place taken by the midi-chlorians? Doesn't that just match up well with what Cult Encounters says about banished ancient Gods?

So in short, we know that the "Force Priestesses" created the midi-chlorians, or at least look after them, on the following "Force Planet" somewhere in the Deep Core (it is said to be in the heart of the Galaxy):

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Force_planet
    ...a planet that, in what cannot be a coincidence, is obviously scarred on a planetary scale. Scarred, perhaps, in the great Cosmic War that saw their spread across the Galaxy, their spread that certainly looks to be depicted at the end of the story. Notice how the two figures at the end also seem to be merging together, and also merging into the Force themselves? That is exactly what the Celestials were said to have done...

21. Hamburger_Time

Dec 13, 2010
    That second page definitely looks like it could depict a Celestials vs. Old Ones battle.

Sinrebirth and SheaHublin like this.
  22. SheaHublin

Feb 15, 2008
    I know, and it's just too good of a coincidence (if indeed it is) for this to be ignored in the next Cult Encounters.

Hamburger_Time likes this.
  23. Hamburger_Time

Dec 13, 2010
    Also interesting is that it seems like on the final page, the two warring Force Priestess-like beings make peace and create the Midi-chlorians together.

SheaHublin likes this.
  24. SheaHublin

Feb 15, 2008
    Yep, and also they merge themselves into the midi-chlorians and by extension the Force itself, just as the Celestials are said to have. At least, it sure does look like that they're doing that...

Notice, too, that they only make peace after the "Old Ones" have been banished. Again, it accords amazingly well with Cult Encounters, in that those responsible for strife and discord are no longer around to cause it.

Hamburger_Time likes this.
  25. Hamburger_Time

Dec 13, 2010
    And those eldritch ships on page 4... Old One vessels, maybe? Why would nigh-omnipotent hellgods need spaceships, though?

And the creepy pair of glowing eyes in the center, too... Abeloth/Onrai? Or something even higher than her like the Father of Shadows?

SheaHublin likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.