main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CV Packing Tips

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by MattDoc, Dec 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Photo-Knight

Photo-Knight Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 9, 2007
    How do you pack a lightsaber blade to go as checked baggage? It doesn't fit in my luggage. I'm assuming I want a tube-container that can be opened and resealed by TSA, sturdy enough to ride in the baggage compartment, and stiff enough to keep the blade from getting damaaged. Where would someone get something like that? I looked for tubes, long duffels, etc. at luggage stores and didn't find anything.

Someone suggested a fishing pole case. I'm going to check that out, but I've never seen one and it sounds specialty enough to be expensive.

2. wookieesrus

wookieesrus Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 6, 2009
    Here's an example of one:

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1188017&cp=2367438.2367824.2291514.2291520

3. EnviousSerious-Rue

EnviousSerious-Rue Jedi Master star 2

May 4, 2009
    Some months ago I raised the very question and ordered a "blueprint tube" on-line from STAPLES between $8.99 to $11.99. I had it sent directly to my hometown STAPLES and it arrived in like 3 to 4 days. And you could adjust the tubes length.
    Hope this helps.

4. echo-3

echo-3 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    Here is what I am planning.
    When it comes to tolietrees ,Im gonna wait till I get there and find a Walmart and buy it all there,That way I dont hve to mess with any TSA rules or bull hockey.

5. KissinDigital

KissinDigital Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 25, 2010
    Prolly wanna Google that now, I don't recall one in the area. D:

6. wookieesrus

wookieesrus Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 6, 2009
    Same here. There is one just across I-4 off of W Sand Lake Rd and Turkey Road...just up the road from the convention center and most everyone's hotels. I'm going to be going there to buy a few groceries so I don't spend an arm and a leg eating out constantly.

7. JarJarJedi

JarJarJedi Force Ghost star 6

Feb 6, 2001
    The closest Walmart is:
    8990 Turkey Lake Rd
    Orlando, FL 32819

It is across I-4, but you have to go a roundabout way of getting there.

I was looking at the schedule today, and I decided that I was going to be bringing a small notebook to take notes in during some of the panels. I wanted to go to a few of the writing panels to get tips. :) Plus you can write down other things in there, like people's e-mails, addresses, etc.

8. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    I'm definitely packing my notebook and a few pens in case I need to write anything down.

9. MrSkinnee

MrSkinnee Jedi Master star 3

Mar 25, 2002
    Try going to your local Barnes & Noble or Borders and picking up a Moleskine notebook http://www.moleskine.com/. They are perfect for jotting down information or sketching artwork into.

10. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Condoms. STAY SAFE.

11. welcome2MosEisley

welcome2MosEisley Jedi Youngling star 1

May 31, 2010
    I think as long as one washes their hand thoroughly after getting back to the hotel room, it should be fine.

12. KissinDigital

Jul 25, 2010
    So wrong, but I lol'ed. xD

13. MattDoc

MattDoc Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2009
    Check the map in my signature. There are two. One right on the other side of I4 near the hotels (wish there was a pedestrian bridge or tunnel for it). There's also a Walgreens in the i-Drive area.

14. KissinDigital

Jul 25, 2010
    I've made use of that Walgreens, definitely, but I didn't see a WalMart (obv doesn't mean it's not there.) I'm prolly gonna be dragged to the con happening at the Wyndam next week so I'll make a point to do some recon. :B

15. Zepherous

Zepherous Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 30, 2010
    I'm not taking anything but clothes, toiletries, camera, etc. I didn't plan on taking anything to the con except my phone for notes and internet access, and the badges. Of course, a little money, just in case.

16. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    [face_laugh]

17. MrSkinnee

MrSkinnee Jedi Master star 3

Mar 25, 2002
    5 hour energy shot containers from 7-11.

18. Jinsei

Jinsei Jedi Youngling

Mar 24, 2010
    WATER!!! Unless you are from a hot an humid place, I would definatly emphasise water. I'm going to be bringing my camelbak (which also has pockets for stuff) so that I have water with me. For the plane ride, undercarriage.

I noticed how everyone is really focused on the plane ride with luggage, and one thing that is strage but true: definately go for the space savers items. The smaller you can pack, the lighter your luggagge will be. For some reason, air+clothes= weight. I can't tell you how much lighter things are when there's less air in them. And if you can't get the space saver bages, definately roll your clothes. I use boot bands to secure them so that I have rolls of my jeans, shirts and the like, (they're easy to use since they are like straps with hooks on each end) but for everyone else that don't normally blouse boots, rubber bands work as well. It's also a great way to bring extra rubber bands for posters.

:)

One other thing; I'm thinking that focusing your costumes to the head would be a good idea too... Stormtroopers and other armored characters don't really get too much leeway, though it is easier to hide camelbaks (get them on amazon or at a sports basement) under the armor with them. For Jedi, I would suggest the barest of layers and probably carry the cloaks (for incase it rains) or leave them at home all together.

I'm probably going to end up only taking one of my cloaks (incase it rains) because they are all made out of the heavy cashmere wool. It was great for Indy though. I dressed as a Dathomirian on the Saturday that it snowed, but put on my black cloak and was nice and toasty in the snow.

Also, if you arrive early enough to do so, definalty packing only that which you will need right away would be good. If you can get it at the convention (like making a stop at one of the stores) get it there, in travel size or such, it will save on space and possible headache in the lines.

Lightsabers, blasters and other weapons: I don't think that this can be stressed enough- put ALL props into the check-in Baggage. Also MAKE SURE that you have it labeled on/in the bag and on the props themselves if need be that what you have in the bag are non-working props. Putting Movie props or Movie-replica props will go a LONG way in making sure that your props are with you when you get to the other side. Nothing sucks more than to open your baggage to see a little note from TSA saying your bag was searched and such item was taken for contraband. This goes more for guns than anything, since TSA's thing is better safe than sorry. NO GUNS are allowed on the plane, over or under it, so you'll want to make it VERY clear that the props are just props. Espcially since they are probably going to be getting a lot of people at this time with the props.

I know that I'm really just re-iterating what's been said before, but well, somethings just cant be stressed enough;

1. Water
    2. LABEL EVERYTHING in and on your bags
    3. Pack tightly. (with rubber bands incase TSA DOES open your luggage)

:)

19. JediJustin

JediJustin Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2006
    If you are planning on using those space-saver vacuum bags in your luggage, make sure you call ahead to your hotel to verify that their cleaning service will let you use their hose attachment to re-seal the bags when you check-out.

Some hotel cleaning services do not use commercial vacuums that have the necessary hose attachments for use with the space-saver bags.

20. MattDoc

Dec 10, 2009
    Or get the ones that you can roll the air out of. Sure, your clothes get wrinkled, but they take up less space.

I've been using the basic nylon zippered packing/storage cube/bags in my suitcase for years. They come in several sizes so you can do one for your bigger items like shirts and pants and then a smaller one for things like socks and underwear. Keeps things nice and compact.

21. KingTomatoXIII

KingTomatoXIII Jedi Youngling

Aug 4, 2010
    Along the lines of the TSA and collectibles.

If there is something you do not want tampered with by the TSA, DO NOT PUT IT IN YOUR CHECKED BAG.

Voice of experience: I purchased an action figure from a comic book shop on a business trip and placed it in checked bag. The TSA in thier serch of my bag actually opened the figure, removing it from the card. rrrrrraaaaaagggggeeeee!

So please if you have a kenner c3-po signed by anthony daniels (or something along those lines) please please pleeeeease put it in your carry on or ship it.

22. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Remember - a CARRY ON is NOT a full sized suitcase! Also, ONE carry one per person!!!!!! You WILL have to gate check large bags!!!

23. Darth-Dogfish-Head

Darth-Dogfish-Head Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2004
    Just went through these pages one more time to see if I missed anything. Going to start up tomorrow. Thanks for all the great tips.

24. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    That's why I have the travel versions where you just roll the air out. ;)

25. MattDoc

Dec 10, 2009
    This is it. The last weekend before the big show! Double check your lists. Make sure you have everything you need. Run to Wal-mart/Target/etc to get those last minute items.

Get 'em all packed up.

And charge everything this weekend! Cameras, phones, ipods, laptops, PSPs, DS's, etc. Get everything fully charged. Then PACK THE CHARGERS!

We're in the home stretch now. Don't want to forget something at this stage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.