main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Cyberpunk 2077

Discussion in 'Community' started by Glitterstimm, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    I think this one is going to be amazing.

Cyberpunk 2077 is an upcoming 1st person RPG by CD Projekt Red (The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt) based on the Cyberpunk tabletop rpg by Mike Pondsmith. It has been in development since at least 2013 but has only recently seen in-engine footage go public. It will take place in a dystopic open-world environment called Night City. There is no release date but CDPR has said they are optimizing it for the Playstation 4, Xbox One and PC.

Cinematic Teaser:

E3 2018 Trailer:

Gameplay Demo:

What impressed me about the gameplay demo was the attention to detail on a massive scale. When a virtual world becomes complex enough it starts telling a story all on its own and it looks like Cyberpunk will have a fantastic story to tell. I’m also interested to see how CDPR will use the first-person perspective to create immersion. I don’t think I’ve been this interested in a first-person game since the lead up to Half-Life 2. I was also a big fan of The Witcher 3 and how it implemented narrative gameplay into the open-world genre, so I’m thrilled to see what will come out of this new setting. Some of you may remember Bethesda’s Prey 2 which was cancelled in 2011. I’m getting similar vibes here, but this one will certainly be finished.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  2. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    My excitement for this project has been something of a rollercoaster.

I am dying to play it but then but optimism for the project is curtailed by reports of production delays or the fact that the E3 trailer was a jury-rigged tech demo exclusively for the purposes of E3. For now, happy to overlook the Duke Nukem Forever echoes because wha we have seen (so far) is, I agree, incredible. But this has been a LONG time coming and the wait doesn't seem any shorter at this stage.

I'd really love a new Deus Ex.

3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    While it's fine to be skeptical of E3 demonstrations (and probably a good idea as standard policy) this is literally S.O.P. for everything shown at E3 ever ever. It's like being concerned because a film trailer was cut to music.

Also lol Witcher 3 hop-ons thinking five years in development is long for CDPR. My sweet summer children, you know nothing of winter.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
    SuperWatto and Jedi Ben like this.
  4. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    True.

But again: lengthy development delay, reports of on-and-off production, cobbled E3 trailer....Duke Nukem Forever.

I hope i'm wrong because I want the game to be as incredible as it appears so far.

Judge Dredd Megacity meets Blade Runner style settings, urban cyberpunk crime noir vibes, open world - it's the FPS version of Westwood's Blade Runner I have always wanted alongside Deus Ex.

5. Glitterstimm

Dec 30, 2017
    Yeah, I’m a bit nervous too, particularly as to whether they can maintain high-quality writing and storytelling throughout the whole game. The dialogue in the gameplay demo certainly wasn’t bad by modern standards but wasn’t exhilarating either imo. As to its release date, I suspect we might have our hands on it within 18 months. There are reports that the main quest-line is already playable start to finish and they are just filling in assets, animations and doing QA.

As to the production cycle/delays, I'm not worried about that because CDPR have proven their commitment to quality in the Witcher series even if that means postponing release dates. My understanding is that full-scale production didn't start until after they had finished Witcher 3's DLC's in 2016. This one is going to be finished and released one way or the other.

6. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    You're seriously oversimplifying the problems in DNF's production, man. Most games not in annualized series become susceptible to pauses in development (particularly when the team is only mediumish sized the way CDPR is and had to pull an all-hands on deck mid-production for a tentpole release) and have cobbled E3 trailers. Those aren't DNF things, they're "everyone who isn't EA, Activision, and Ubisoft" things.

DNF's problems are downright fascinating, but it boils down to the interplay of a few key things: constantly chasing new third party engines (this is generally rarer if not unheard of these days because we're not going through massive technical leaps the way we did in the late 90s, and there are really only two major options), failure to adjust to the realities of development scaling with technical changes (again, not really a thing these days), and... massive EverQuest addictions amongst vast swaths of the development team (that bit's my favorite, although I don't think it was ever confirmed outside of contemporary leaks).

Like, obviously the stakes seem high because this game is clicking a lot of genre buttons for you, but if you carried this attitude to its logical conclusion you'd have to panic about so many games. Oh the horror stories Jason Schreier's articles have subjected us to over the years.

7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, gameplay demo vid? That's new, I'll have to take a look at that.

I did the find the net explosion over the 1st person view a couple of months back amusing as so little was known about the game.

8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Finally got around to watching Cyberpunk 2077's staggering 48-minute demo - I think it is both the simplest and most sophisticated PR I've ever seen.

What it showed off was stunning and the entire thing still had 'work in progress' stamped all over it - a wise move in the wake of Spider-Man's 'Puddlegate' online explosion.

What really made it work were a number of factors that all combine:
    • World design - lots of little details that add up
    • Fitting nudity and profanity - both are present but felt natural, felt fitting to the world being displayed
    • Action gameplay - FPS combined with RPG powers / abilities
    • Multiple routes / conversations - Expected, but hard to do well, this did it well.
    The other aspect talk of the demo revolves around is the game, so far, is going contrary to the industry when it comes to crappy commercial moves. No season pass, no day one DLC, no microtransactions, no loot box. The proposition is: Slam down $60 / £50 and you get a damn big, damn good game.

9. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Well, that and CDPR were the targets the last time a stupid "DOWNGRADE!!!!11!" controversy made the round.

10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I really liked that message they did at the end, that they were wary of releasing it due to potential responses further on down the line, but decided to due to limited response being positive.

11. Glitterstimm

Dec 30, 2017
    Their hidden message at the end was very good also by it's implementation. It requires the hardcore fans to "discover" it which leads to numerous articles on game websites just about that message. It drives traffic and headlines in addition to the demo itself. CDPR really know how to maximize their marketing to maximum effect. They know the media environment and the audience they're speaking to.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  12. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    OMFG!

Can’t even think yet to type a good post!

13. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    FTFY. :p

14. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
  15. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Now how to end such a trailer? How about an April 2020 release date?

Glitterstimm likes this.
  17. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Har atleast we finally have a date! Now taking bets on that changing past that...

I thought we were playing a female though?..

Glitterstimm likes this.
  18. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    It's an RPG....you choose the gender.

Glitterstimm and Lord Vivec like this.
  19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    This trailer will be, more-or-less, your character origin. This is how you end up at the start point - what you become after that? Up to you.

LloydChristmas and Glitterstimm like this.
  20. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Keanu's best friend that's what.

Gamiel, Jedi Ben and Glitterstimm like this.
  21. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Wait, you mean that you end up playing a cyborg puppy?

22. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    They'll make him a bad guy who like, insists you eat a cat, and then three weeks after the game launches we'll get an incredulous Kotaku article about how 95% of Cyberpunk players opted to eat a cat.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    Jedi Ben and Adam of Nuchtern like this.
  23. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I always knew Keanu was a bad egg. Just look at how bad he wants to eat this cat on the set of Constantine.

[​IMG]

Jedi Ben, Ramza and Glitterstimm like this.
  24. Glitterstimm

Dec 30, 2017
  25. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    This looks INSANELY good

dp4m likes this.