main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Gaming Cyberpunk 2077

Discussion in 'Community' started by Glitterstimm, Aug 27, 2018.

1. FatBurt

FatBurt Chosen One star 6

Jul 21, 2003
  2. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 5

Dec 30, 2017
    Cyberpsychos getting a big buff, no more quick hacking them with System Reset

3. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2005
    Ha, I just finished the last cyberpsycho mission... [face_laugh]

Glitterstimm likes this.
  4. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    After skipping ut on the game since around Christmas waiting on a few quality of life patches. I got around to playing today after the last patch was added.

It's still buggy as hell, floating rubbish, backward facing seated people etc... BUT cars now handle better, the UI has been improved and overall the general feel of the game feels a little more balanced.

Driving still has no traffic but population density is better than previous.

It's a better game now than it was and whilst more work is needed I can see me running though the rest of the game now.

blackmyron and Dannik Jerriko like this.
  5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 8

Jul 19, 1999
    That patch active for PS5 now or still PC only?

6. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 3

Sep 12, 2017
    I downloaded the patch on Xbox a few days ago and started the game for the first time. It’s still a buggy experience, but it’s playable. I really enjoy the story and the ambiance of the world (I think they’ve borrowed heavily from Neuromancer), but the game feels like a bit of a wasted opportunity.

The streets are devoid of traffic. The main roads in my town are busier than the streets of a futuristic metropolis. That said, I really enjoy riding my motorcycle around and the combat is immersive. But, as Burt says, there’s a lot of floating garbage and facing the wrong way. This is annoying as it takes you out of a very immersive experience.

7. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    44gb PS5 patch is active and I had to download it TWICE because of issues [face_plain]

The game is still flawed but it's better, much better than it was and I've spent around 6hrs today doing missions and mooching around town.

I still rate Witcher 3 higher, I've not come across a Bloody Baron esque mission yet or one with those kind of stakes and something tells me I won't but it's better more balanced game than it was 3 months ago

8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Hmm, might be it didn't trigger as I'd moved it to extended storage? Sounds like waiting longer is still the better play here.

9. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    I've just done a very Christian mission. I wanted to shoot the story focus repeatedly throughout

10. Dannik Jerriko

Sep 12, 2017
    I’ve probably sunk about 20 hours into the game. It’s reasonably balanced, but there are issues that just shouldn’t be there and I expected a lot better from CD Projekt Red.

I killed Oswald Forrest during the Automatic Love mission. When I played the later side quest, Ex-Factor, he had come back to life.

The story is immersive and I am hooked on the game, but it just can’t stand beside Witcher 3.

11. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    As in Witcher 3 >>>>>>>>>>>> Cyberpunk? then yes I agree

I mean it helps that there is a pretty well rounded world from Sapowski (?) for the game to be built into that Cyberpunk doesn't have but as my experience of CDPRed was Witcher 3 prior to this with noi Witcher backstory then I felt there was stuff they could do.

Ciri and Yennefer caught early in Witcher 3 and the story PUSHED towards those two so it built from there, and amblings with Triss never hit me first time round and the "main" story had me hooked.

Cyberpunk, not so much. In many respects Jackies story ends too soon

Dannik Jerriko likes this.
  12. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    "There was a well rounded world for Witcher that Cyberpunk didn't have?"

Please go look up Cyberpunk 2020 and Mike Pondsmith, then retreat in shame @FatBurt. There's more lore arguably across Cyberpunk 2020 than Witcher.

Lord Vivec likes this.
  13. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    I'm content to stand in my ignorance over cyberpunk

I knew of witcher prior to the game. I knew nothing of cyberpunk

I am happy to educate myself on the fictitious world more than many are on reality though

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
  14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Most of the stuff in the game comes from Pondsmith's world directly. The lifepath idea. Rockerboys. Solos. Fixers. Johnny Silverhand. Rogue. Alt Cunningham. Rache Bartmoss, whose body you can find. Adam Smasher. Corpo Plaza. Arasaka, Militech... all these have massive histories in the RPG.

15. Dannik Jerriko

Sep 12, 2017
    Definitely. What I would say is that Cyberpunk has sucked me into it’s world and the storyline and characters are very engaging (given a few more hours, you might feel the same).

That said, Witcher 3 was a much smoother experience and the game world felt much more expansive and varied. I don’t know how far I’ve gotten into the main Cyberpunk story (I’m guessing 50% or thereabouts), but I haven’t felt that I’ve been handed any big moral conundrums or impactful decisions. Maybe this will change as the game continues.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
  16. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I don't think it will. Witcher 3 is a pretty masterful storytelling example. C2077 is a nice way to play in a realised version of a playground I spent in my teen/20s roleplaying, with some amazing characters but lots of examples - a la KOTOR 2 - of the locked-away potential.

Though I will admit it's pretty funny to see people say they have feelings for Julie or Panam on the good Cyberpunk subreddit, /r/lowsodiumcyberpunk.

17. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    From what I've skim read in the last 20mins or so shows that Cyberpunk has a rather large back history. I suspected there was a "DnD" element to the story or else CDPR wouldn't touch it (pre existing lore and all that)

I've never played W1 or W2 so can't comment but aside from a couple of clunky bits in W3, once I got to grips with the mechanics I just loved it (I was similar with batman Arkham as in I needed 3 attempts to get it) CP77 has been similar but less arresting. Silverhands is no Ciri, Panem isn't Yennefer or Triss and I know I shouldn't think of them that way but based on the quality of W3 it's hard not to.
    Still the patches have made the game better and in the end that's the main issue here at this point in time

Ender Sai and Dannik Jerriko like this.
  18. Dannik Jerriko

Sep 12, 2017
    Yeah, I think Cyberpunk had the potential to be something special, but it hasn’t quite hit the mark. That said, I’m enjoying my time with the game and I’ll probably sink a lot more time into it over the next couple of weeks.

19. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    I'm likely to push on to the end over the next few days

My eldest is already asking about additional content (ala W3 stuff)

The base game needs fixing first (and I don't think they're far off) That needs supplementing with some free quests to get players back onside after the launch debacle and then move from there.
    Heart of stone as a simple expansion or Blood and Wine as the more complicated version is not beyond the wit of CDPR. I just think it'll take a year or so as the focus totally needs to be on the base game noiw as they repair their reputation./

20. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    As someone who came into both The Witcher and Cyberpunk with no familiarity with the material they’re based on, I find Cyberpunk’s world way more compelling than The Witcher’s. The Witcher 3 is a great game (the two precursors are varying degrees of okay), but CDPR never did a great job of selling the worldbuilding. The setting always came across as a fairly generic fantasy world, which are a dime a dozen, and it never really came across with a unique hook to sell me on this particular fantasy world. The attraction is all Geralt, an excellent character in a bland world. Geralt had interesting relationships with a few characters like Ciri and Yennefer, but by and large I found the supporting cast unremarkable. Geralt and the deep, layered quests so densely distributed throughout the world were what made The Witcher 3 great.

Cyberpunk doesn’t have a main character as deep as Geralt, thanks to the decision to go with a build-your-own character. But I find the world way more compelling. It’s far more unique, and it’s really vividly brought to life. Night City is just mesmerizing, and the game does a great job of bringing out its many facets and doling out worldbuilding, especially if you actually put the time in. And I find the supporting characters incredibly strong. Johnny Silverhand, Judy, Panam, Jackie, and Takemura are all great characters who bring out different elements of V. The writing is really strong, and so are the performances. I’m way more into this game than I was The Witcher — and I liked The Witcher 3 a lot. I’m about 130 hours in, and this is the only game I’ve put remotely this many hours into and not gotten at all tired of the grind.

I’d totally take another Geralt or Ciri game, but I really have no desire to explore the world of The Witcher further. Night City, on the other hand, I really want to see more of. That’s just me, but I can definitely say the game has clicked with me.

Gamiel and blackmyron like this.
  21. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    i found myself often checking in with Julie after she left (Male V), because of how well written they were. And some of the voicemails in the various endings? Ooof.

blackmyron likes this.
  22. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Yeah, I didn't get the 'ideal' ending (from my perspective) and had some harsh voicemails.
    BTW, I tried calling Jackie after his death, and it led to a heartbreaking one-sided conversation where V talked to their dead best friend.

Havac,
    I'm familiar with both settings independent of the games, and I agree with your assessment. My second time around with 2077, I've been stopping to smell the roses, so to speak; listening in on conversations, watching the news channels, even letting the loading screens play out to hear the entire dialogue.

23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Hi, we're CD Projekt Red and we can't code. We put out 45B that you spend a day downloading and then doesn't install, but also doesn't auto resume.

We also fail in setting up a virtual booze-up in a virtual brewery.

24. Dannik Jerriko

Sep 12, 2017
    Finished the game today. I played through all the main side quests and a good chunk of gigs as well. The story was engaging and I had a great time in the game world. There were some very memorable characters and missions.

Crucifying a man on live TV was one of the most haunting experiences I’ve had in a video game.

I just wish the game had been properly finished before they put it out. Huge patches, countless bugs, stalls and a load of unnecessary problems prevented this from being a masterpiece.

25. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    I haven't actually that particular mission yet, despite beating the game once before - I took the 'easy way' out on that one, which I immediately regretted but I pledged that my first run through would be a 'no takebacks' approach.
    Which ending did you do?