main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Books Cynically Reliving the X-Wing Series

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Cynical_Ben, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    B5 did fleet battles on a shoestring budget near 20 years ago - it should be well within LFL's skills and resources.

Sarge likes this.
  2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Both versions of BSG did well as fighter squadron TV series with appropriate VFX budgets. Also, Space: Above and Beyond. For more RL focused examples, look at Black Sheep Squadron and 12 O'clock High. Rogue Squadron as a TV series is no pipe dream, all it requires is the will to make it happen.

3. imiller

imiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2004
    So, good news that the Rogue Squadron movie is still currently a project of importance for Patty Jenkins! That makes me quite happy! Hopefully it will continue to keep the X-Wing books around and being published as Essential Editions!

4. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Additionally, I honestly impressed by how well old cartoons could do some pretty impressive space battles on small budgets - like the episode Armada in Galaxy Rangers, the final battle of Maccross, or multiple battles in the Exosquad series - that honestly really makes me want a 2d star wars series again, as cool as the 3d ones have been.

Alpha-Red likes this.
  5. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Have to say even back then I thought Isard Revenge was an unesscessary book. I didn't think it was outright bad just very forgettable.
    I loved the TIE Defenders though even that felt like an excuse to show off Corrans Mad Skillz .
    Bringing not 1 but 2 Isards back seemed a bit pointless too imo

Nom von Anor and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  6. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    I think it feels less pointless if you've read the comics and really wanted to see the end of that plotline.

Iron_lord likes this.
  7. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Do you have a link for the comic ?

8. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    It's Epic Collections The New Republic vol 2 and 3.
    Warning: The Rogue Leader comics are awful, and the first arc of the series, The Rebel Opposition, is pretty bad, but the second arc, The Phantom Affair, is magnificent, and the series just keeps getting better from there. If you ONLY want the stuff relevant to Isard's Revenge, the 3rd volume is what you want, but I strongly recommend the whole X-Wing Rogue Squadron run, as the character development is quite good throughout. (Vol 1 is also fun, as it's got the Mara Jade comics by Stackpole and Zahn, and contains some more Isard stuff!)

Last edited: Dec 9, 2021
  9. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    I admit the first two story arcs aren't very good, but I do have a soft spot for The Rebel Opposition for introducing Elscol Loro, who we don't get nearly enough of. I was happy when they brought her back for The Bacta War, another reason that's my favorite book.

Nom von Anor likes this.
  10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Remember there's an Omnibus edition due July 2022 coming.

11. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Aug 25, 2013
    I like my Dark Horse omnibuses. No Legends tag.

Trip likes this.
  12. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Thank you :)

13. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    I love Elscol, but she's got a much better story in The Phantom Affair (which recaps her origin anyway), and of course Battleground Tatooine. I do think it's hilarious reading the comics and the books together, because you can see where Stackpole was working on the same things at the same time. :)

Oooh, really? Is there a preorder link or something?

I sadly don't like those as much - they're much smaller, and the binding is truly awful.

You are most welcome! If you get them, I hope you'll post about what you think! :)

fett 4 likes this.
  14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    You can probably preorder it from Sith Incorporated (Amazon) now.

Nearer the time better deals will become available. Although the July 2022 date is not set. A lot of of these editions have been bumped forward, with likely impact on future items to be confirmed.

It'll come out but might be later, depending on both the pandemic and global supply issues continuing or not.

It won't be cheap - RRP is $125. A good online UK price to buy this level of price at is £57-62.

15. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    Hmm. I have all three books collecting what is in that one already...unless it has serious bonus content (which I seriously doubt), I don't know if it's worth it to buy again. Since I've already bought most of the X-Wing series at least twice.

16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    The only incentives for you would be the hardback binding and slightly larger page size - that's it.

Roughly - standard trade = 26cm tall, OHC / Omnibus = 28cm tall.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2021
    imiller likes this.
  17. RogueWhistler

RogueWhistler Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2021
    It's pretty clear that some character and plotting issues needed to be straightened for The Rebel Opposition, but there's still a lot I enjoy about it, which I can't say for Rogue Leader.
    Whenever I see discussion of the XWRS comics, The Phantom Affair and the Isard/Fel stories get plenty of deserved praise, but Battleground Tatooine seems to get overlooked. It has some of the strongest of the novel connective tissue the series was so good at, although it's a shame nothing ever really came of Bib Fortuna's new status quo.
    I really like John Nadeau's art, too, especially his ship work, and his Wedge really captures his personality.

Jedi Ben, Nom von Anor and imiller like this.
  18. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    Battleground Tatooine is awesome! And John Nadeau's my favorite of the artist who worked on the X-Wing comics, though I also liked Steve Crespo. The problem with Battleground Tatooine, Warrior Princess, and Requiem for a Rogue is that they're standalones, while Phantom Affair is an origin story for Wedge, and the Isard/Fel stuff is a long mytharc that pleases those who like to have a longer form story.

Jedi Ben, Iron_lord and RogueWhistler like this.
  19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Damn shame he only did a few issues, that splash page of Krennic's wrecked Star Destroyer... [face_hypnotized]

20. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Aug 25, 2013
    Yeah, that's true. When I bought the omnibuses again about a year ago, I found that I'd forgotten most of the stuff in them, even in Phantom Affair. But I sure as hell remembered Loka Hask and Gus Treta Station.

I will say Warrior Princess is also good for some backstory on Leonia Tavira, although the Isard/Fel story arc gives us that as well. It doesn't go so far as to be an origin story, and it doesn't really explain anything about her that those of us who liked I, Jedi didn't already know, but it shows her early years in the business.

Nom von Anor, Iron_lord and imiller like this.
  21. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    I'm reading the first Omnibus now. It's set just after RTJ. Its OK but the whole Vance was the spy seemed a bit obvious. While the artwork is a little bit of 90's cheese with the later jawed all American hero's that make up Rogue Squadron [face_laugh]
    Enjoyable with the Nostalgia factor I admit :)

22. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    Very nice. I think the art and writing get a LOT better with the next arc.

fett 4 likes this.
  23. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Randomly saw this on the Wook's new uploaded images today and was like .......................

[​IMG]

24. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    ^ That cover does nothing to make me want to read the book. The original cover art was vibrant, colorful, and action-packed. That is just dull.

25. SnubJockey

SnubJockey Jedi Master star 1

Jan 23, 2009
    Isard looks too young, too. It's this weird mix of minimalism on the right and not quite enough detail on the left.

It's not even really in keeping with this style of cover art.
    [​IMG]

That's too bad.