main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Dad just showed me my first Star Wars movie. Here are some of my thoughts if you guys are interested

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by iphoneguy, Jun 28, 2018.

1. iphoneguy

iphoneguy Jedi Youngling

Jun 19, 2018
    I turn 14 next week and my Dad gave me all the movies on blu-ray as an early birthday present. I have never seen any of the movies and literally don’t know anything it.

I saw A New Hope for the first time today and I loved it. Dad told me to watch the films in release order. I’ll be watching Empire tomorrow and Ep 6 on my Birthday.

I hope it’s okay if I post my thoughts here after I see each one? I’ll start with Ep IV, which I loved.

The opening scroll was a really unique way to start the movie. Have never seen opening credits done like this.

The rebels being boarded was terrifying. I didn’t know what to expect and the sounds they hear while being docked were chilling.

Vader is such a cool villain. I hope he comes back. The fella seemed fine at the end of the movie. The mask and the breathing creeped me out. I want Luke to avenge his father and Ben. It broke my heart to see Ben sacrifice himself just so that Luke could live.

I want to see more lightsaber stuff. Blasters are cool but love the laser sword. They seem like volatile weapons. Ben and Vader almost seemed afraid of their sabers coming in contact with each other. I wanted Luke to use his at some point.

I was hoping to see Luke confront his uncle about why he lied about his father. Owen seems to have been hiding something. He was adamant about Luke staying away from Ben too.

Princess Leia is braver than I ever will be. Vader was scary as **** and I was stunned to see her stand up to him like that in the beginning. The nun like outfit threw me off at first so I was expecting a naive soft damsel in distress. Loved her sassy dominant attitude.
    Luke appears to be head over heels in love with her. I don’t think he had many friends in Mos Eisley. Is this the first girl he’s seen in a while? He seemed smitten when he saw her hologram. Luke and Leia would make a good couple imo. Luke seems so innocent and timid while Leia is anything but.

Han seems into her as well but I’m rooting for Luke. She seemed more into him in the medal ceremony anyway.

I didn’t trust Han at first and he seemed shady. I let out an audible cheer when he showed up at the end. I winced when Chewie growled at Luke for wanting to put on the cuffs but he seems like a gentle beast. I felt he was guilting Han to help Luke at the Rebel station.

Oh my god the attack on the Death Star was the greatest thing I’ve ever seen. I have never seen a dogfight in space like this. The trench run had me digging my nails into my palms! I love the X-Wings and the sounds the Ties make. I hope there are more space battles like this.

The inside of the Death Star was really cool. I am so happy they spent so much time inside it. With no base, I think the next movie will have the Rebels hunting down the Imperials? I hope to see lUke leading the charge.

I loved the three main characters. I related to Luke the most and I loved how he wanted to do the right thing against great odds. Han was cool. I love his vest. He seemed more in touch with reality and although he tries to play it off like he doesn’t care, he seems to have a good heart. Leia with her bossy attitude and hair buns was cute as a button. The medal ceremony scene was like seeing her like the first time. She looked beautiful in the classic sense and felt like a real princess for the first time.

I am so ****ing excited to see the next movie. I just want more of these characters and spaceships and laser swords and blasters and stormtroopers.

The music is ****ing incredible. It was my favorite thing about the movie.

2. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    "That's good. You've taken your first step into a larger world."

I would recommend to stay away of Star Wars websites and forums until you've seen the six movies. Shouldn't take long.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
  3. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Welcome aboard — It’s a pleasure to have you around. Buckle up, it’s gonna be a wild ride.

4. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    Ah, of course. Episode IV first.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    My son is his age and I showed Episode IV first. ;)

Welcome @iphoneguy . Definitely OK to share your thoughts on each movie. I like seeing the thoughts of someone seeing Star Wars for the first time; we don’t get that too often around here.

6. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Excellent post. Now put 3 quarters in the swear jar. :D

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    Encuentro likes this.
  7. Encuentro

Encuentro Jedi Master star 2

Aug 8, 2013
  8. Lukers

Lukers Jedi Master star 1

Jun 16, 2016
    I love seeing these comments from a fresh pair of eyes, please, post your thoughts on the other ones too.

Lt. Hija and Encuentro like this.
  9. DrDre

DrDre Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 6, 2015
    Welcome! It's great to read how these forty year old movies are still having the same impact on young people as they did when I was your age. It will be great to read your thoughts on all the other movies! :)

10. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Watch the other two movies first before you come back, OP. You’ll thank me. :p

Encuentro and vncredleader like this.
  11. Justus_Cade

Justus_Cade Jedi Grand Master star 1

May 31, 2002
    It is interesting to read the thoughts of a person who is first experiencing the films for the first time. I have become rather jaded about the films, I still enjoy them, but often forget about the first experiences I had with the films. I saw ANH in 1980 (I was 6 with the buildup to ESB, and had been hooked ever since.

I will say that ESB is probably the scariest movie for a kid, just the atmosphere and what the heroes go through. It also gives the vibe that anything can happen going forward. Just some heavy stuff for a young kid to process, but in hindsight it's those feelings you never get back after repeated viewings.

DARTH_BELO and Sarge like this.
  12. ThisIsMe1138

ThisIsMe1138 Chosen One star 6

Jun 26, 2018
    Hi, @iphoneguy ! Watched SW movies in release order too, just got into them last year! (Good to know I'm not the only one who hadn't seen SW for the first 13 years of their life. ;) Hope you love them all!) Pretty much felt the same way, although I had a little more background info ;) You did better than me for the first time - I thought Han's name was just "Solo" (how did I miss that?) the first time I saw it :p

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
  13. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    There's little I can add to the other comments, thanks for sharing an original first-time viewer experience with us. :)

And as a bonus, and to answer your question, I'll enclose a video link to the scenes with Luke and his friends at Anchorhead station, that was originally intended to play between the scenes aboard Leia's counselor ship but ultimately trimmed to improve the pace:

Some of us old fossils had to wait decades to see this scene. Here you can see how another girl (Camie) rather treated Luke like crap and Luke's later comment to his wingman Biggs during the Death Star battle "It'll be just like Beggars Canyon back home" 'now' makes sense because Biggs was Luke's friend on Tatooine and together they flew Skyhoppers (like the one Luke was playing with in the Lars Homestead Garage) through Beggars Canyon and other places on the desert planet.

whostheBossk and Sith Lord 2015 like this.
  14. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Thanks for posting. Although I find it hard to believe someone of your age has not over those years been exposed to ANY knowledge of any part of Star Wars, simply from the effects of pop culture; TV trailers, toys, clothes, etc. I do think it's great to see the perspective of someone who is new to the SW saga. After I've spent so many years getting all intertwined with discussions and arguments about what point means what, what's good and what's not, etc. It's refreshing and helps remind me of what makes these films so enjoyable. I look forward to your reactions on the other five (or nine! ;) ).

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  15. BadAcrobat

BadAcrobat Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2015
    Fabulous. And how lucky you are. Enjoy TESB. You WONT be disappointed!

16. PadawanGussin

PadawanGussin Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 6, 2017
    You are in for a wicked good ride

17. BadCane

BadCane Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2015
    So jealous of you! Wish I could see it again for the first time.

The first time I saw ANH I actually didn't see it. Midway through the movie I was playing rebel jumping around and making saber noises

ThisIsMe1138 likes this.
  18. Prime Jedi

Prime Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Apr 14, 2018

That's great that you enjoyed it, and this thread shows how Star Wars has impacted multiple generations throughout the decades! I look forward to seeing your next reviews.

ThisIsMe1138 and Lt. Hija like this.