main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Daisy Jones & The Six: a Mockumentary on Amazon Prime

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ahsoka's Tano, Mar 8, 2023.

1. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I've just started watching the first couple episodes of this new series on Amazon Prime. It's a fictional story of an American band that formed in the 1970s, rose to tremendous popularity, went through all of the trivial circumstances that bands go through to get to stardom, and broke up at the peak. The characters are interesting; each one with their own qualities and flaws. The theme may have been covered in other shows and movies in the past (think Cameron Crowe's Almost Famous), but it's still a compelling story so far IMO.

nilzo antonio likes this.
  2. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    It's on my watchlist. Last music drama I watched was the recent George [Jones] & Tammy [Wynette] on Showtime.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  3. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Ima wait for the video game.

4. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @Ahsoka's Tano Yeah I wound up binge watching the first few epiodes as I needed a break from Outer Banks as that show isn't quite capturing me, at least not enough to straight binge watch it so my wife and I can watch season 3 over spring break. Anyway, I enjoyed so far as it reminded me also of "Almost Famous" a movie I love as well. Taylor Jenkins Reid who wrote the novel the show is based on said that it's inspired some by watching Fleetwood Mac on TV which I am starting to pick up on that vibe. My only question is how long will the show go for. It's marked as a "mini series" which I assumed meant it was just going to be ten epiodes and that is it but am starting to wonder if they will do a second season as well to end it. *shrugs*

5. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Yeah I can't imagine a second season; I mean from the beginning it pretty much tells you how the band ends - the entire show consists of flashbacks from their glory years. It's neat the way they structure the show, where they're interviewing the band members years after they had broken up, and you're reliving their story through the flashbacks.

6. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I’ve liked it so far.

7. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I just watched the final episode of the series. I enjoyed it overall. The acting was really well done and all of the characters were easily relatable. Obviously with only 10 episodes as a mini-series, they had to have shove a significant amount of storytelling and must've cut corners here and there. The story is about a band who reached the absolute peak of stardom; and of whom (in the very first episode) tells you they broke up after only a few years. Certainly a lot goes on, and part of me was thinking that final episode seemed somewhat exaggerated if so much happened to cause the bottom to fall out after a big concert. But again, I really liked the series and I'd imagine that it will earn some Emmy nods.

8. MagnarTheGreat

Jul 21, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2023
  9. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
  10. MagnarTheGreat

Jul 21, 2016
    It didn't seem like the brothers were on good terms but Daisy and Billy could always hire some help. Or maybe big reunion money solves the brothers' problems. Either way, Camila said the two of them owed her a song.

However there was also someone in voiceover saying that these oral history interviews were about their 'moment', and that moments are something that pass and don't last so that could also go against his belief/narrative device, I forget who said that in the show.

I don't know about the book the show is based on so I just looked it up now. The ending is slightly more ambiguous in the book.

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/l...isy-jones-and-the-six-ending-explained-recap/

Cast interview:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2023
  11. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @Ahsoka's Tano
    Not only has the cast indicted that a second season but so has Taylor Jenkins Reid who said she is open to the idea as well. So I think given everything including it was a quiet hit, there is an outside chance they do a second season as a potential reunion tour taking place shortly after the first season ended or at least trying to put together a reunion tour I should say.

@MagnarTheGreat
    To me, I feel like the Dunne Brothers were fine. Graham to me always came off as someone who was happy to be there instead of like Billy who was born to be a rock star so to him going back home and falling in love while building a nice life for himself and his family has him at ease and no ill will to Billy. And in the same regard I think it was heavily implied Billy was happy from the band breakup to Camilla's death so I don't think there will be any tension between the two of them other then perhaps Graham not truly wanting to do it as again he and Warren were just happy to be there and seem very content in life when they are being interviewed in 1997. To me the tension would be between the following:

1. Graham and Karen for obvious reasons since she did really love him and admitted it on camera twenty years later. Just she realized she could not be his girlfiend and start her solo career so she choose the later. Graham is a hopeless romantic so that is going to hurt him at first and then leave him very conflicted especially since unlike Billy and Daisy (more on them in a moment), they seem very happy with each other. Again Graham is like Warren and was just happy to be there therefore when he said he was happy just being by her side and not continuing his career in order for them to be together, he meant it. Just she couldn't do both despite her loving him. Again that is going to drive a lot of conflict between those two if they went on tour again and were living the good old days over again.
    2. Eddie and the rest of the band particularly Billy since his career did not go the way he thought it would and perhaps is resentful that Billy didn't try to help him more or something. Either way that will be seen as being really awkward and a lot of tension if Eddie came back for a reunion tour.
    3. And obviously Daisy and Billy because unlike Graham and Karen, they are toxic together. And I don't think twenty years later with Billy being a widower will change that. Some people are oil and vingear together which they just seem to be. And I been there a bit as I dated someone before I dated my wife who I had deep and strong feelings more (and it seemed like vice versa) but holy hell were we just toxic together and realized it was never going to work despite those strong intense feelings. Perhaps that will be a main focal point of season two as Daisy and Billy learn to be together without the toxicity.

And I agree that I enjoyed the show overall
    though at the end it seemed like they threw out every single Hollywood cliche on why the band broke up. It also quite a bit of cliche throughout the show as well but as I told a buddy you gave to give the writer and the showrunners a bit of slack because they are just basing everything off research they had done. "Almost Famous" is semi autobiographical since Crowe went on tour with the bands he based the story off since he was the teenage kid that got to go and write for Rolling Stone. So while it times it felt too cliche I can overlook it and realize this is just a fun fictional story that got inspiration from Fleewood Mac compared it to being a semi autobiographical like Almost Famous was. And while I like how it ended, I be done for a second season but no more then that. A season about a reunion tour in 1997-1998 would be work but nothing passed that.

12. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I just feel like that would spoil the show overall if there's a second season. The band broke up and pretty much all went their separate ways. I mean I could see maybe a reunion special show, but not so sure they can formulate another series on everyone's life after the breakup. Just a soap opera on their families? The show was more interesting about the formulation of the band and their trials and tribulations. They all had great chemistry together.

Maybe Billy's daughter will follow a new band in the 80s? Eh.

13. MagnarTheGreat

Jul 21, 2016
    If Amazon is happy with the cast they should just consider them for other projects to work on...some of them together.

I agree that a Season 2 would be weird and repetitive from where they left off because where else would the drama come from? And there's no source material like another book AFAIK.

14. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    You don't need source material from a book. One of my favorite series of all time, The Man in the High Castle, was originally adopted from the Philip K. Dick book, but of course Amazon greatly expanded on it. I actually read his book after watching the show all the way through, and didn't particularly think much of it.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2023
    Luke02 likes this.
  15. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Nepo Baby and the Six

16. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @Ahsoka's Tano Agreed plus Jenkins Reid as stated she be open to it and sounded like she be involved with any potential second season.

Meanwhile the cast indicated that them going on tour is actually a possibility:

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/tv/a43478775/daisy-jones-and-the-six-tour/

Now that would be something. It be The Monkees except they were all professional musicians hired to be in a TV sitcom about a fictional band and began touring due to the popularity of the show. This be a group of actors/actresses hired to play a fictional rock band in a TV series and became such good musicians in their own right plus the popluarity of the show led them on a tour.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2023