main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Daisy Ridley (Rey) in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by sheri1967, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Because the general public isn't obsessed with these things.

One way not to introduce someone new to Star Wars: Show them the "Rey parentage" thread from this forum.

2. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    I realise I'm about to pull the pin on the hand grenade that is Rey's parentage, but I really think there is still a chance of her being "related" without contradicting what RJ did, etc - though I must stress, I'm happy whatever way LFL takes on this issue. Keep her "Random", all good with me. Make her now "Related", just as great.

So how Rey can be related without contradicting anything relates to a thought someone had in here once before in some thread. I vaguely recall reading something about someone saying that Rey could have "brought down" the spaceship that her parents were in.

So taking that scenario/thought, her parents say to young Rey to wait here and " I'll back sweetheart" - or whatever words Rey recalled when she touched the Skywalker saber in TFA. Rey, as any young child does from time to time when their parents leave them at a place, has a massive emotional outburst and yells out "Come back" whilst Unkar holds her arm. But the audience only sees part of the flashback because her yell and emotional outburst is so primal that it connects powerfully to her sub-conscious. When this connection takes place and with Rey being extremely powerful with the Force, the spaceship is "brought down" with an extremely powerful display of the Force (in similar vain to Rey in TLJ during her saber practice) and the ship crashes.

No bodies are found and unmarked graves are created for her parents - hence Kylo telling the truth about pauper graves in TLJ. But although Rey sees the ship crash and supresses deep down what she believes the truth is (that her parents are dead), there is a sense of hope and non-acceptance of the fact that her parents are dead. Having seen no bodies, Rey tells herself that they managed to escape the crash and continued on with their brief journey - hence Rey saying that she is waiting for her family to return in TFA.

So with the ship crashing scenario, it creates an opportunity for LFL to have her parents still being alive (because they escaped or survived the crash) and potentially related. And with Rey being powerful and crashing a starship, another powerful Jedi was rumoured to have done that too - Luke.

A "crashing ship" scenario allows LFL and the fans to have their cake and eat it from a "Related" perspective because it does not contradict what has come before it and works well with what Kylo saw in her mind and what Rey actually believes deep down.

The only part that would raise more questions is to why her parents did not go back to her in a "crashed ship" scenario.

3. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Bold Prediction: Rey did not kill her parents.

4. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Lando Calrissian's offering odds...

Who Killed Rey's Parents
    Luke Skywalker 1000-1
    Princess Leia 500-1
    Han Solo 250-1
    D.J. 100-1
    King Prana 75-1
    Constable Zuvio 50-1
    Kylo Ren 20-1
    Unkar Putt 12-1
    Snoke 5-1

5. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    I’m thinking Unkar killed them, skinned them, and fed them to Rey who feels guilty for thinking they tasted delicious and that’s why she repressed the memories of her parents.

6. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    So... Regarding Rey's costuming....

...what are you guys looking for when it arrives? You expecting another "desert garb"/"Jedi robes" look? Or a more utilitarian "uniform with practical belts and pockets" type of look?

I've always been more partial to the latter thanks to the old Legends EU making me think of that as the more modest and "human" Jedi, while the robes post-OT always struck me as a bit removed from society. I get the monk-ish aspects of the design, but I like the idea of a more practical look and a more "reformed Jedi" approach to the character's aesthetic.

It also occurs to me that they could do some interesting things with Ridley's hair to suggest something about her characterization; while people have argued over her hair going down in TLJ, the braids she usually wore were pretty businesslike. If you wnated a more severe look, you could tie her hair back but low on her head so that her scalp would have a more serious look. You could use some braids like the old Jedi Padawan ones to communicate some old Jedi traditions.

Just spit balling,

7. Generational Fan

Oct 21, 2015
    [face_laugh] What a sick sense of humour.... I love it. That is one of the funniest things I've read in a while; I can't stop laughing.

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  8. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    I’m thinking she’s going to wear the skin of her dead parents. After accepting the fact that she ate them when she was little we’ll learn that she kept their skins. The first part of the movie she’ll be wearing her dad’s skin suit. The second half, her mother’s skin.

Finn’s going to be too grosssed out to talk to Rey while wearing her parents skins so he’ll ditch her and hang out with Poe and Chewie instead.

9. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010

...I'm only liking that because it made me giggle a bit.;)

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  10. RiddleMeThis

RiddleMeThis Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2017
    Calm down, Satan.

11. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    I think there's a chance that we'll learn that Rey's father was a botanist who performed experiments in biotechnology. In one experiment Rey's father attempted to create a plant that could prevent starvation. But when he succeeded, a nearby star exploded into a supernova.The radiation from the supernova's explosion changed the plant and four others into the Monster Minds: a race of plant-like monsters who wish to conquer the universe.

Darth Smurf likes this.
  12. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    No, I guess he used the exploding star as an excuse. He did the experiment on Jakku. As we have seen - he did not succeed and obviously went bankrupt.

13. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    I still think there's a chance that her dad was turned into a plant-like monster who wanted to conquer the universe.

Darth Smurf likes this.
  14. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    This thread is :eek: and 8-}

15. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    What did you think the "portions" she was so desperate to earn were? She wasn't scratching lines into a wall for nothing. You thought those were days? She was trying to get all of her parents back.

16. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    The other theory I'm toying around with is that Rey's dad was the leader of the Protectons. Before his transfer into a robot body known as the R-2000, he was the chief-in-command of Protecton Capital, Zanadon, and had a romantic relationship with Narra. He is compassionate and brave, and tries to help the humans. He despises killing to the point that he'd rather hurt himself than allow anybody to use him to kill another being. He almost suffered a nervous breakdown upon discovering that his mind and life force were downloaded into a robot shell. He has a humanoid robot form with a head on a long neck and a curved blade for a right hand. Memorable transformations and features include a car-like form, a hand blade changing into a gun, laser cannons deploying from his chest, a head usable as a ramrod, and a compact mode with shrunken arms and legs.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    Django Fett and Darth Smurf like this.
  17. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    People keep calling out for a Christmas Episode IX teaser and I'm here still waiting for a Chaos Walking trailer

rorow1 and leopardhk47 like this.
  18. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    What, they weren't KFC?

19. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    So Rey is Hannibal Lecter now? :p

20. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    Apparently. Who knew?

21. Generational Fan

Oct 21, 2015
    Sorry @The Regular Mustache, you have now been bumped to second. This is now the sickest and funniest thing I've read for some time.

22. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    You're welcome. You're all welcome.

23. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  24. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Still no Chaos Walking trailer

25. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Posts like this prove the greatest contribution JJ made to the SW universe: the cast. The amazing cast the ST features. People like Adam Driver or Oscar Isaac had already done interesting stuff. But John Boyega and in particular Daisy Ridley are such a remarkable discoveries.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.