main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Daisy Ridley (Rey) in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by sheri1967, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thejediscavenger

thejediscavenger Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 13, 2019
    It's like how Ben was alone though he had a family and wealth. People harp on that and act like he was an ungrateful brat. Truth was he was very alone in his mind. He fit in with no one. He had no connection to the people he met. He was seeking a belonging he couldn't find or understand what it was. Rey is the same way. She is surrounded by everything she could want, but she's still alone because the belonging she's seeking hasn't been found yet. She does not belong on Jakku. She does not belong with the Resistance. She does not belong with the FO. She hasn't found it yet. Hopefully in IX she does, or at least finally sees her worth and all who lover her.

I don't know if it's a woman thing, but I can definitely relate to her and Kylo.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  2. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    [​IMG]
    Picture looks like taken from the TLJ gag reel :p

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  3. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    The lighting seemed different.

Thanks for the clarification.

4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
  5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I agree with you completely and I’m a woman. Both Luke and Anakin’s journeys made a lot more sense to me, because their journeys reflected what was actually happening, not some version that they had created in their minds. The statement of “It doesn’t matter if s/he was actually alone, s/he feels alone” rings hollow to me, because the factual basis of not actually being alone should win that argument.

And the “looking for her worth in others” is not a character aspect I can admire. Sympathize with to a point, if we’re talking about someone who would like to become more independent and feel better about themselves, but as far as seeing “looking for her worth in others” as some sort of virtue or even a trait I can empathize with—it’s not going to happen.

6. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Huh? Wasn't "looking for her worth in others" something she had to overcome.

It's not suppose to be a virtue, but a fault she has to overcome.

There are people in the real world who need that message.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
    Mila Lazarus likes this.
  7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    If that’s the message the movie is sending, that’s fair. Still not relatable or understandable to me so it’s not a “woman thing.”

8. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    I would imagine being a desert street orphan since you were five is not relatable either.

But it fits Rey and guys like Aladdin.

Mila Lazarus likes this.
  9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I didn’t see Aladdin trying to find his worth in other people, nor was his journey hard to follow. If the argument that ‘you didn’t come from the exact same background as the protagonist’ worked as a reason to not be able to follow his or her journey, no protagonist’s journey would be easy to follow with the rare exception of those who came from the exact same background as the member of the audience in question.

I’ve never been a slave or a member of a monastic order, but I related to some of Anakin’s struggles in the PT and TCW, especially his impatience with the bureaucratic political process and the dogmatic rules of organized religion. I’ve never been a spice smuggler but I could relate to Han’s attitude in the OT, alternating between “this is bull****” and “let’s get **** done.”

I don’t know what would need to change in Rey in IX to make her more relatable and her journey easier to follow, but if she is an active part of the Resistance, as some rumors are indicating, that will help.

10. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Rey definitely needs to be an active part of the Resistance. She needs to be a leader. Same with Finn and Poe. It's part 3 of 3 here. One of the downsides of setting TLJ right after TFA, is that the story loses some of its epic scope, there wasn't a time passage to have Rey grow off screen or her relationship to or status within the Resistance to change. Look how Luke changed from the end of ANH to the beginning of ESB. Farm Boy with the "lucky" shot on the Death Star turns into revered Commander Skywalker from one film to the next. That helped the saga tremendously. If ESB started right after ANH it would have been Splinter of the Mind's Eye basically haha. Wait. Is The Last Jedi the Splinter of the Minds Eye of the ST omg.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
    Revyl Ren, wobbits, 11-4D and 3 others like this.
  11. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I’m no longer nearly as invested in Star Wars as I was a couple of months ago, but for the sake of all remaining/future fans - and especially fans of this trilogy - I sincerely hope that Rey’s story in EpIX revolves around her, puts her front and center where she belongs and shows her struggling with serious character flaws.

12. leopardhk47

leopardhk47 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 23, 2016
    @Lulu Mars what character flaws does Rey have that have actually negatively impacted the story? Her self-confidence is repeatedly shown to be well founded in TFA, her naive willingness to trust new people such as Finn, Han, Luke, and even Kylo works out for her, she doesn't struggle with getting people to like her, and at the end of TLJ, she's learned that she's the hero she needs. Idk where else they go with her.

Also, I'm predicting that Rey's a clone of either Luke or Anakin and she's the only clone of an innumerable number who can actually wield the Force. That's the true purpose of the mirror scene.

[​IMG]

13. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    If she was a clone of Luke or Anakin then she would look like Luke or Anakin.....
    However, I think she could still well be the reincarnation of Anakin. It would go a long way to explain her skills and power.

14. Darth Geezy

Darth Geezy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 29, 2016
    Here's a theory...what if Kylo Ren is unaware that Rey is his sister or his cousin?

What if Luke was under the impression that his daughter or niece was killed in the Jedi Temple Massacre?

It is possible that Rey's parentage is still juicy, and the audience we learn it at the same time that our main characters do.

Rey and Ren's force bond is so strong for a reason, and it isn't just because Snoke bridged their minds.

Or maybe Ren is fully aware of who she is, but hasn't accepted it. Perhaps somehow, someway, he blames her for his parents' split?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
    RetropME likes this.
  15. RetropME

RetropME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2017
    I think if Rey is related, it works best being Luke's daughter that he either thought was dead or did not know about. And I think it would work even better if Kylo did know (Either via firsthand experience or through Snoke). It would make Kylo's "Reveal" in TLJ more menacing and would work even better for a Kylo redemption arc if he told her the truth in Episode IX. Maybe even Han as a suspicion in TFA, hence him being nice to her. (That would obviously be retroactive though, there is no evidence it was planned or that Ford even knew anything about Rey's backstory.) This is all reaching though...

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  16. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Regarding inner struggles, I deem it likely that Rey’s will be an extension of the whole “find my place in all of this” thing that TLJ put such heavy emphasis on. She’ll be carrying the burden of having to rebuild the Jedi Order and she’ll find it overwhelming.
    Perhaps she’ll suffer some sort of significant defeat in the opening act of EpIX; a demoralizing failure that’ll make her question her ability to fulfill her destiny.

17. Knight of Jedi Ren Sith

Knight of Jedi Ren Sith Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 29, 2018
    Ben was alone although he had a family and wealth? What???

18. RetropME

Dec 11, 2017
    Many people have a loving family and friends and wealth and still feel alone and distant.

Revyl Ren likes this.
  19. Knight of Jedi Ren Sith

Dec 29, 2018
    Sure, what does that have to do with Ben?

20. JohnWilliamsSonoma

JohnWilliamsSonoma Force Ghost star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    Oh, yes she has.

godisawesome likes this.
  21. Knight of Jedi Ren Sith

Dec 29, 2018
    Someone, if you have time, please let me know what @thejediscavenger is talking about in this thread:

Is this from a book? Because it certainly isn't in the movies.

22. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Rey is a mystery box.

In TFA she was on a planet waiting for her parents, and thats kinda all she has. any backstory for her has been left wide open, and even adding random parents doesn't quite fix the fact that there is very little on who Rey really is.

Her having the force, being called by Anakins saber also seemed to be questionable for the character.

Explaining who she is would help alot. the whole this isn't your story thing doesn't help her one bit.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  23. RetropME

Dec 11, 2017
    That's why a lot of us are thinking (still, I know) that she's related somehow to the Skywalkers. She dresses like them, has a similar background, the Skywalker saber went to her (and is still used by her in Episode IX apparently), she (allegedly) ends up with some more of Luke's stuff (His helmet, potential return to Ahch-To) in Episode IX. We definitely have more to be revealed about her regardless of who she is.

At the very least if she isn't related, the people in charge have gone above and beyond (some would say overboard) to make her a figurative Skywalker.

24. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Exactly. If Rey Rando ends up being a Skywalker in every way but in name then they did a terrible job at making her a unique rando character. What’s the point of making her a rando if she’s defined by and echo’s the Skywalker family?

As I’ve said before Jyn Erso is a much better example of a rando protagonist. She has a last name, we know who her parents were. She doesn’t dress like an off brand version of one of the OT heroes. She doesn’t magically have insane Force abilities. She doesn’t have a Force connection to the Skywalker family. Lightsabers aren’t calling out to her. She’s not flying one of the OT heroes ships. She didn’t grow up on a planet that looks like Tatooine. She has family issues but they’re not shrouded in mystery. She was a nobody but she was also the hero of the movie and a huge reason why the rebels were able to defeat the Empire. That’s how you portray a random hero.

As it is now they might as well reveal that Rey’s last name is Skytalker and still ask us to accept her as a rando.

KSennia, ChildOfWinds, 11-4D and 6 others like this.
  25. Mila Lazarus

Mila Lazarus Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 29, 2018
    Excuse me, but could you please explain to me in what making her a Skywalker would give her any more depth to her character? Instead of being a pale copy of strangers, she would be a pale copy of her father and grandfather, what kind of improvement is that? Rey would still be the girl who succeeds in everything without really struggling, who "downloaded" her teachings from Kylo's mind for no valuable reason (Luke and Anakin were not able to do that! or Leia!) and everything that's reproached to her. Making her a Skywalker wouldn't change anything to the fact that she's a much less interesting character than not only Luke and Anakin, but also Han and Leia were. So I hope that we'll get a crunchiest revelation than "oh finally she's Luke's daughter, that's why she's dressed like Padme and will become the new Jedi". Because frankly, that's CHEAP storytelling.

The problem with Rey's character is that she was created by a man whose nostalgia for the OT is not a secret, but who also knew (or believed anyways) that there would be two other directors who would work on defining her later. So he couldn't characterize her too much, because the others had to be free. Then RJ came along, and he learnt while writing that Abrams would be back for EP IX, so he certainly thought: "hey, Rey's his baby, so I won't touch her too much": so, almost zero characterization for Rey in TLJ. He had the villain to tell her she was nobody, so the door was open for a different revelation. Now we just have to hope that this revelation won't be too shallow. Fingers crossed!

RetropME likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.