main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Daisy Ridley (Rey) in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by sheri1967, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lilforceghost

lilforceghost Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 9, 2018
    I never really was a huge fan of Rey, honestly. I just never could really click with the character myself and all of that. But not to say it'll be interesting to see what they do with her for sure and that I don't I enjoy the art and all of that. :)

2. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    I sometimes wonder does Rey even seem like a potential good teacher to the new Jedi?

Dunno why but feels like either she wouldn't make a good teacher or it should be years and years before she should touch passing on what she has learned. It's why I'm not into the idea the movie ends with her and students.

and think of this, she's 19 in TFA, no timeskip in TLJ and like a year later in IX (or maybe 2). So a 20 year old Master teaching others while being head of said Order......

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Difficulty is, what would she teach and how? Would she be able to realise that not everyone grasps everything as she has? Going by the films alone, Rey doesn't to seem to need to learn skills, she just acquires them very quickly, far faster than any other Jedi we've seen.

4. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    that's a pretty good point, I mean she learned abilities from downloading from Kylo's mind. Don't think that's a normal ability and most won't be able to emulate. And some of her fighting skills are also because she used a staff as a weapon.

what can someone like that teach especially since she barely learned anything from Luke too. Now JJ says that she'll have new force powers or something like that.

really seems like she needs to wait before going near teaching. Gain more wisdom and knowledge.

5. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    ......something something *posseses Jedi books* something something.......

6. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    Page turners they were not.:p

but reading something is nowhere near enough or comparable to teach. Like nowhere near.

we all have knowledge and skills from our profession but does that mean we would all make good teachers in said professions?

7. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    If I were back in my teens, and Rey was my teacher -I'd definitely pay attention!!!!!

CrazyOldJedi and leopardhk47 like this.
  8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    And after she smashed you through a wall for being attentive to the wrong area, you'd start behaving, right?

9. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    lol, I wouldn't, was a slacker and trouble maker who was always at the principal office.

wonder how she would handle such cases, or Bens 2.0.

Jedi Knight Fett and nightangel like this.
  10. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    yep, a very good question, as a teacher you need some age to show respect and wisdom to the students.

starocean90 and Mila Lazarus like this.
  11. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    Daisy Ridley: "I think Rey ended Episode 8 with the thought that salvation for Kylo Ren is not waiting for him just around the corner, and I can safely say that Episode 9 starts from her with the same thought." (April 13, 2019 - Google translation)

12. ForceGhostPrincessLeia

ForceGhostPrincessLeia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 22, 2018
    I think I like DR more every time we get an awesome quotation like that ;) Doesn't rule out redemption, but it seems to indicate Rey hasn't been pining away for Kylo.

13. Mila Lazarus

Mila Lazarus Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 29, 2018
    Frankly the contrary would have been really weird.

Darth Gummybear, zackm and RetropME like this.
  14. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Fine.
    Let Rey teach Phys Ed and sports.

Leave everything else to C-3PO

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    godisawesome likes this.
  15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    C-3PO doesn't speak "kid" or "teenager".

16. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    So, just like my middle and high school teachers were

godisawesome and oncafar like this.
  17. ScreamingWoman2019

ScreamingWoman2019 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2018
    What about her name?

She gave that name to herself, it seems. I would couple that with:

and with

So maybe her not-Rey name would go with that image, and she would answer to that name. But, who would know that name?

If Leia is her mother, she would know her birth name -her pre-Rey name. If baby Rey was hidden, maybe her adoptive parents, too, would know (Ive especulated about K.Russell being the 'Beru' of this trilogy)

In any case, where did 'Rey' come from? It didnt mean anything to Han or to Luke or to Leia, or to anyone so far, for what it seems.

http://sendvid.com/uaivcyzw

This sounds like a boy's voice and a woman's voice.

Maybe there is a sound-erasing time loop involved, and 'Rey' comes from 'afraid' (as they did in TFA with Obi Wan's line), much like Hodor came from 'hold the door' in GoT. 'Rey' would have grabbed Dosmit Raeh's helmet because it sounded like Rey, and not the other way round.

18. ForceGhostPrincessLeia

ForceGhostPrincessLeia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 22, 2018
    I thought at one point "Rey" could be a shortened form of/little kid not being able to pronounce Breha.

19. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Hopefully it's not a Birdbix situation where Rey's drunken parents only named her "girl."

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  20. ScreamingWoman2019

ScreamingWoman2019 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2018
    I think Kira/Qi'ra is also in the mix somehow.

In any case, 'Rey' came first and 'afraid' came later.

https://ew.com/article/2015/12/20/jj-abrams-reveals-obi-wan-and-yoda-are-star-wars-force-awakens/

https://vmagazine.com/article/driving-miss-daisy/

Why was it 'frickin' awesome'? Kira>Rey is not more awesome than FN>Finn, which is ok, but not awesome. Ridley probably didnt know about the Obi-Wan line, as it was used very late into editing (McGregor did his line 'shortly before' TFA's release)

Maybe Kira/Qi'ra is just another layer. Maybe Han would have not reacted to 'Kira' either (he didnt react to 'Rey') Breha could very well be her birth name.

21. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    I think/hope there will be strong indications (or even a montage scene that skips ahead a few years) that Ghost Luke will be around to instruct young students alongside Rey. Maybe we even see in a montage just one new young Jedi student at the end of TROS, with Rey hands on instructing and Ghost Luke looking on nearby.

That's my hope anyway.

We also don't know where IX leaves Ben Solo. It's possible that he and Rey teach the next generation together with Ghost Luke's help.

Darth Gummybear likes this.
  22. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    Rey came from Rae Solane or Domsit Raeh Real name is probably Parvati Palpatine being the female clone of Sheev Plapatine ;)

23. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Where will the big fight happen this time? In water?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    Mila Lazarus likes this.
  24. SKYGUY23

SKYGUY23 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 17, 2014
    Did anyone else immediately invision
    ALL the force ghost joining Reys body to become one. During the Luke speech. Maybe it's all Anakins idea.

25. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    The Ophelia trailer, starring Daisy, came out today

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.