main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Daisy Ridley (Rey) in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by sheri1967, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ForceGhostPrincessLeia

ForceGhostPrincessLeia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 22, 2018
    She's omniscient when she has to be for the story and ignorant when she has to be for the story. Because writing. I agree that in universe, "Emperor Palpatine" makes the most sense for general knowledge. Heck, even Palpatine was only in outside source material during the OT, iirc.

leopardhk47 and DarkGingerJedi like this.
  2. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Maybe when Rey said her parents were “no one” she didn’t mean that they were no one important rather she meant that they were literally no one. The people she thought were her parents were just a figment of her imagination that she created to comfort her. She’s admitting that she made them up. They’re no one. They don’t exist.

In reality Luke is her dad and her mother was killed by Kylo and the trauma of that event blocked her memory of seeing her mother killed and being kidnapped and left on Jakku by her cousin and in the absence of the truth she created some imaginary parents who were alive and were coming back for her eventually.

Being left behind by two parents who were going to come back for Rey was less painful than the memory of seeing her cousin kill her mom and being taken away from her dad by another family member.

3. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Sort of Life of Pi, but needing a tiger.

4. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Maybe to make her less rebellious or less likely to run away, Unkar told her the lie that her parents left her with him but "don't worry, they'll one day be back" and the TFA force vision was just her marred memory of Unkar's lie, and it's Ben in that ship she's calling after and crying. Ben sold the falcon to Unkar for that other ship and flew away in it. Maybe he returned to Luke and Leia with some story about how they were attacked or something and Luke's wife and daughter were killed and the falcon was stolen by pirates...

Maybe Unkar simply found her after Ben murdered or accidentally killed Rey's mom. Either by chance or because of her latent Force ability ("it's always been there" she says) Rey survived whatever evil deed or accident Ben caused....worked for Unkar for 10 years as she grew up and her latent Force power slowing began to awaken again.

Maybe Luke is busy with his Jedi students, but he decides he wants his wife and daughter with him...They live with a small village of Church of the Force worshippers on Jakku, led by Lor San Tekka. Luke or Leia send Ben Solo to Jakku to get Luke's wife and daughter and help ferry them to Luke's secret Jedi School location. But once Ben gets them from the from village, before they leave, there's the accident or Ben kills the wife intentionally. That explains Lor and Rey and the Falcon all being on Jakku, and it explains the "WHAT GIRL?" outburst in connection with Jakku.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    The Regular Mustache likes this.
  5. Mila Lazarus

Mila Lazarus Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 29, 2018
    Why would have he sold the Falcon to Unkar? I don't think that Ben Solo, son of royalty, needed money... Besides, Unkar probably gave not much to Duncan for it. 20 years before, It was already considered as an old ship lol It would have been much easier for him to drop Rey with the Falcon and leave Jakku with the Falcon. He wouldn't have had to invent a convulated story about how some guy stole the Falcon from him. And what Ben did with his new ship after that?

You guys should write books, seriously. I may have more pleasure while reading it than while watching the ST.

I was thinking something else... Kylo could have had actually a great interest in telling Rey that Luke was her father: "He tried to kill me and now, see he rejected YOU too!". Luke behaving like an ass to Rey would have provided a fantastic argument for Kylo to use, much better than a silly story about anonymous drunkards. He could have played on Luke's rejection of her, and thus depict him as a losy father. I can picture it: "He abandoned you just like my father did. They're not as good as they claim to be. Luke doesn't care about you. You're nothing to him... but not to me!". Rey would have rejected his offer anyways, and the ending of TLJ would have been pretty much the same, but it would have provided a terrific reason for Rey to doubt about her choices in TROS, and to feel a legitimate anger against Luke, before FG Luke 'd come and explain to her that he had no idea that he had a daughter, or that his daughter could be alive. Then, the backstory you guys imagine about Ben would have worked very well.

miasma and NOTJEDIMATERIAL like this.
  6. ForceGhostPrincessLeia

Apr 22, 2018
    Except Kylo says "I saw who your parents are." Not were. Either that's intentional or RJ doesn't understand how language works. Imo, Kylo expects Rey to actually know, not think they're nobody from the dark side "confirming" her worst fears. He also tells her she has no place in the story, when obviously that's not true.
    If Luke were her father, Kylo absolutely wouldn't want to tell her because that would be one more reason for her to keep fighting the good fight. I think he's seen the D.E.N.N.I.S. method on Always Sunny...

7. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    Considering how much of ESB and RotJ RJ deliberately inverted, and considering the real possibility of a Rey Skywalker reveal in TLJ resulting in more focus on Luke’s tragedy than Rey’s story, in hindsight I’m not surprised at what I believe was the decision to move the reveal to 9.

My original theory was that the reveal would be in 9 so as to develop Rey independent from established and long-beloved characters, so that her identity and popularity would be more fully realized prior to connecting her directly to the Skywalkers and the Saga.

8. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I think the present tense of "are" was an intentional baiting by Rian Johnson in the moment, not a seed planted for a future reveal. Having Kylo say he knows who her parents "were" would give the game away to quickly. Using the present tense until the reveal allowed Johnson to string out the intended reveal for a little longer.

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  9. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    It also underlines that the identity - specifically - of Rey’s parents is important to her.

For, y’know, Reasons.

10. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    In the trailer Luke says something along the lines of, "we've passed along all we know". Are people going to have a meltdown if we don't see some evidence that Rey has received and understood this vast Jedi knowledge? I'm not expecting to see it. I won't even be surprised if Luke's dialogue from the trailer isn't in the movie.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    RetropME likes this.
  11. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    Grammatical 'gotyas' you got to love them.

I KNOW WHO THE WINNER IS!
    WHO?
    THE WINNER IS DEAD!

12. ForceGhostPrincessLeia

Apr 22, 2018
    Idk if the tense would be that noticeable on a first viewing though, did anyone catch it in the theater? I already knew what was going down, so I was mostly focused on the visuals and just waiting for the tribute to CF in the credits. But yeah, RJ ignoring consistency for the sake of throwing in one more "not going to go the way you think" moment certainly isn't out of the question.

13. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    The choice of tense may have been a deliberate clue that Kylo’s claim about “dead junk traders” is not correct.

From my reading of TFA and TLJ, the dialogue matters, and closely parsing it can be rewarding. Unfortunately I do not believe mine is a popular position among fans.

14. Mila Lazarus

Mila Lazarus Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 29, 2018
    If Rey is really Luke's daughter and Kylo was smart, he should have played on Rey's fear of abandonment/rejection to turn her against Luke. She would have undoubtly believed him if he had said: "See, Luke, this man you consider as a hero, abandoned you and keeps rejecting you today. He doesn't want you, doesn't care about you.", because that's what she felt when she was with Luke on Ach-To: Luke didn't want her there. It would have been a smart game to play for Kylo. Rey being Luke's daughter would have not necessarily convinced her to keep fighting on the light, if she had seen Luke as an hypocrite. So here, Kylo told her that her parents were drunkards who sold her: how was this revelation supposed to turn Rey on the Dark side? Her parents apparently didn't have any connection with the Resistance or the Skywalkers, so why did Kylo assume that it would make her angry against the Resistance? No, he didn't think this way. He brought up the bad parents issue because he knew that's what Rey feared the most; he also knew she seeked for a belonging. There were the cards that Kylo had in hand. I'm sure that if he had had a solid reason to make her angry for something, he would have pulled it off.

I'm afraid there's nothing more than that too.... And it would be a very silly choice, considering that RJ could just have Kylo say: "I saw your parents". It would have been enough for us to understand that he knew something.

But if we should seriously consider Kylo's use of the present tense, it actually confirms my theory that he lied about Rey's parents being drunkards buried in a pauper place in Jakku. We have to wonder: how would he know that ? I keep believing that Kylo saw everything about Rey's parents in Rey's head. Rey definitely didn't see her parents dying, so she doesn't know where they're buried.

Actually, I tend to believe that Kylo didn't know Rey's parents were dead when he entered in the Throne Room with her, hence the use of the present tense. But Rey is the one who first brought the information:

"They WERE nobodies".

Kylo realized that her parents were dead and she knew it (probably since her visit to the Dark side cave?) so he made up a story about the reason why they abandoned her on Jakku, and about the place they were buried in.
    That, or Rey believes that her parents are dead because Unkar Plutt told her they were when she was a little girl, but she refused to believe him for all these years. Maybe Unkar is the one who told her that her parents sold her for drinking money and died shortly after.

In any case, I think Rey has been indeed abandoned. The vision she has in TFA shows a ship leaving a 5 years old girl with a child molester who, we know, obliged her to work for ridiculous portions of food. So maybe it wasn't her parents who left her there, but I highly doubt it was a 15 years old murderer named Ben [face_plain]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    RetropME likes this.
  15. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Because growing up as a scavenger with no formal education and listening to traveller's tales.

16. MagnarTheGreat

Jul 21, 2016
    Daisy Ridley: “I think there’s a part of Rey that’s like, ‘dude, you [Kylo Ren] ******* had it all, you had it all.’ That was always a big question during filming: you had it all and you let it go.” (May 22, 2019)

Daisy Ridley:
    “We worked with Anthony [Daniels] a lot, like, Anthony is really part of this adventure [as C-3PO].” “[The Rise of Skywalker is] the most I’d ever worked with Anthony, and he was really there—mostly every day. So it didn’t feel like the legacy wasn’t there. It felt like we were very connected to the original ones actually. Really connected.” (May 22, 2019)

Daisy Ridley: “[I understand that] having the two coolest parents [such as Han and Leia] and sometimes I’m sure it works amazingly, and sometimes it just might not.” “It’s a bit lonely having that much on one’s shoulders [like Kylo Ren].” “[Rey and Kylo Ren are] two quite powerful people who feel.” “Rey [when the movie begins] is less inclined to believe that Kylo potentially could redeem himself.” (May 22, 2019)

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  17. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    so all Ridley's doing is discussing Kylo instead of her character? Is something wrong with this picture or is it just me?:p

everything she's saying, some of us have been saying it for years.

what about the whole she's basically a full trained Jedi after only 1 year? There is something off there if one compares her to Anakin and Luke.

and from VF seems like Rey is pretty much Luke ROTJ in ROS between the force stuff but also the separation from Finn/Poe.

18. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Those articles certainly are pushing for the narrative that Rey and Kylo will the core relationship in TROS. Whatever this relationship will be, we still don't know what yet.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/05/the-truth-about-kylo-ren-and-reys-connection?verso=true
    https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/05/star-wars-cover-story?verso=true

19. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    It’s been clear to me since TFA that Rey and Kylo have been the ST’s core dynamic.

I wonder why....hmm....

“A Chosen One shall come, born of no father, and through him will ultimate balance in the Force be restored.”

20. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018

It's no different to Luke. Sure, add up the time gaps between movies and he's probably been "training" for more like two, but let's be real, his "training" was basically spending a day with Obi-Wan and screwing around with a practice droid, then a little time with Yoda. Seems he didn't go back to Yoda between ESB & RotJ, so he's basically just figured stuff out himself.

At least with Rey she's got the books. And we still don't know if Luke's come back to make his presence known to her between movies, force-ghost or resurrection or whatever-the-hell he is now. Plenty of wiggle room on the Rey-advancement thing thus far, given how little we know.

Keep in mind TLJ's pretty much established she & Ben are more like Anakin with the uber-force-intuition/raw power thing anyway, Luke never had that going on in the OT.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  21. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    I've made my peace that Rey is as powerful as she is because 1) JJ and the powers that be wanted their protagonist to do fun, eye-catching, gee-whiz Jedi tricks ASAP because it's fun for the audience to watch and 2) because she's related to the Skywalkers.

22. MagnarTheGreat

Jul 21, 2016
    Daisy Ridley: “It’s nice having that shot at the beginning of the teaser, because I think it’s quite a good visual representation of where [Rey] is now: confident, calm, less fearful.… It’s still sort of overwhelming, but in a different way. It feels more right—less like inevitable and more like there’s a focus to the journey.” (May 22, 2019)

AhsokaSolo and JoJoPenelli like this.
  23. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    Wow, when did we see Rey being fearful or overwhelmed at all?!, what was she talking about?

24. Lanie Ann

Lanie Ann Jedi Youngling star 1

May 28, 2019
    Rey spent half of TFA running away from her destiny and then tried to pass the responsibility to Luke and Ben. Rey in IX seems to have finally stopped running and will take charge of things. Good for her!

Last edited: May 29, 2019
    AndrewPascoe, MyOnlyHope and RetropME like this.
  25. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I’m always kind of torn about this thing, because I think that TFA *does* show a Rey who realistically struggles a few times at least, definitely expresses fear at appropriate moments, and while definitely powered up a bit beyond what she maybe should be, still feels to me like a character with an engaging amount of struggle for a first movie when her antagonist is weighed down by injuries and going easy on her after easily subduing and incapacitating her twice...

...But I still just can’t truck with the idea that she was seeking to pass things on to Luke and “Ben,” and I think TLJ most definitely portrays Rey as even more overpowered just through some ignorance of TFA’s nuances and a lack of desire to actually see her as a character. Rey was plenty motivated after TFA... provided you though being tortured and losing two friends to Kylo was good enough motivation to take things personally in her own hands (Narrator voice: “It Was.”) and I still find the idea of thinking of “Ben” as a possible hero to be laughably bad characterization for Rey. And the refusal to have Rey trailed or show the logical outcome of a healthy and motivated Kylo going up against a neophyte like Rey damaged his credibility as a villain, her credibility as a well rounded protagonist, andnthe dramatic tensions of the series.

I’m really hopeful that TROS re-establishes Kylo as a genuine threat to her, and that it also leaves me in a place where I can genuinely just say “Rey discovered the Force in TFA and downloaded some skills from Kylo, then... stuff happened, Jedi books, *cough*Head-canon-training-by-a-living-Luke-instead-of-being-a-prop-audience*cough*, then TROS happened, and Rey was still learning somethings.”

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.