main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Daisy Ridley (Rey) in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by sheri1967, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ForceGhostPrincessLeia

ForceGhostPrincessLeia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 22, 2018
    Before we got that weird story about stealing the MF, I had wondered if maybe Rey hid in the bottom of the Falcon before things went wrong. Still don't believe the MF being on Jakku is a coincidence.

Eta: lmao, that one tooth is still more of a parallel than literally anything called a parallel to support reylo *eyeroll*

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  2. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    it probably isn't but its not related to Rey ;)

3. The Deuteragonist

The Deuteragonist Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    Okay so I’m currently rewatching TFA and I still can't get over how Rey being sold off by her parents for drinking money was heavily foreshadowed here:

The way she looks at BB-8 when Unkar Plutt asks for BB-8 is pretty telling as if she shocked with herself for even considering to make the same mistake her parents did. By the end of TFA, we already knew Rey was abandoned but we didn't know the context (still don't honestly). I think it's safe to say that Rey's parents being nobodies was the plan from the start.

Still, it makes me think of what Rey Related and Rey Random both bring to the table at this point. Rey's has accepted that her parents were "nobody" but what exactly does that mean for her as a person? I honestly don't like the line "They were nobody" in general because it...doesn't really make much sense.

Rey's problem was never that she wanted her parents to be special people, she just wanted them to care about her. I would have much rather that she would have said "They didn't love me" or "They were evil" instead because it would what Rey's core problem is. The identity of her parents is important because of how much they mean to Rey. I guess a Related Reveal could work now because Rey has accepted her parents were garbage and her founding out that they really weren't her parents would throw her for a loop, but it doesn't work if there's no added baggage. Rey being a Skywalker (particularly Luke or Leia's daughter) doesn't really create a struggle for her. Tragedy, sure, but not much of an emotional obstacle.

leopardhk47 likes this.
  4. ForceGhostPrincessLeia

Apr 22, 2018
    If it was being foreshadowed, then why does the novel make it explicitly clear that she is not owned by anyone? UP just shows his hand too early.

And her being a Skywalker comes with the most emotional baggage of any possible outcome.

5. The Deuteragonist

Jun 25, 2018
    Haven't read the TFA novel...but I did hear there were quite a few retcons. Didn't Rey and Poe meet in the TFA novelization but then officially meet in TLJ?

godisawesome likes this.
  6. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    As Luke says, with that mighty Skywalker blood.

7. alwayslurking

alwayslurking Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 21, 2019
    Yeah, foreshadowing of her being sold would have been her actually being a slave in TFA. I haven't even read the novel and that she was not a slave was crystal clear to me from the movie.

8. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    re: the opposite of 'slave':

https://boards.theforce.net/posts/55054181/

It's August 2019 and 'daughter of dead drunks and a slave' has still not been added to the bio. What are they waiting on.

See also: https://boards.theforce.net/posts/55894862/

9. The Deuteragonist

Jun 25, 2018
    I mean she may not be a slave but she still seems to serve Unkar Plutt in some way. I mean she works for him, she lives near him, she answers to him for food...

Indentured servant, perhaps?

10. ForceGhostPrincessLeia

Apr 22, 2018
    From the novelization:
    “Conditions have…” Plutt looked like was he going to explode. “You think you can be snide with me, girl? You think you can play games here? Who do you think you are?”
    She drew herself up with as much pride as she could muster. “I am an independent operator, scavenger of the metal lands, free of debt and beholden to no one. Least of all to a small-time trader named Plutt.”
    “You are…you are…” The merchant tried to control himself. “You have nothing. You are nothing!”
    “On the contrary,” she shot back, “I just told you who I am. As to what I have, that would be my freedom and my pride.”

11-4D likes this.
  11. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    An indentured servant still probably wouldn’t be able to deny their boss a physical object the boss wanted - since it’s all part of the same debt, I’m pretty sure the boss controls how the debt gets tallied.

12. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Unless Rey had paid off the debt her (maybe/maybe not) parents left her with before TFA started. But she had nowhere to go so she just kept working for him.

13. The Deuteragonist

Jun 25, 2018
    That was my personal headcanon. I mean, Rey is old enough and capable to leave whenever she wants, but she still stays there because that's all she knows.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  14. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Mine as well once I saw TLJ.

The Deuteragonist likes this.
  15. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    And she would have ended up like the little, old woman she shared a cleaning table with if she had stayed there.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  16. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Rey and Poe met on screen in TFA. TLJ just wasn't going to be bogged down with burdensome things like previous films.

[​IMG]

11-4D, Jedi Ben, Amdrag and 5 others like this.
  17. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    Heh. So Kylo “pulled a Plutt” in TLJ...

18. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    I actually think that JJ put RJ between a rock and a hard place in this instance. Because JJ didn't actually show them personally interacting, despite them being two of the new Big 3, it'd probably be a bit jarring to have had their first interaction be as if they have met. The audience would rightly ask "wait when did these two meet? I guess off screen at the end of TFA?".

19. The Deuteragonist

Jun 25, 2018
    I honestly would have been fine with that. You could definitely fill in the blanks there. Or they could have just had some reintroduction.
    Rey: Oh Poe, right?
    Poe: Yup.
    Rey: I'm Rey.
    Poe: I know. Welcome back.

But I get that a meeting between Poe and Rey is pretty big for the story so they probably should meet formally in some way. Still, I'm glad TROS is covering a lot of ground with Rey, Finn, and Poe as a group.

20. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  21. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Wow! Rey is in a black robe and has a double light saber that’s red like Kylo Ren’s in the sizzle reel!

Does she discover Obi-Wan’s old hut and Maul’s old clothing and saber that her grandfather kept after killing him on Tatooine?

22. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Probably either a vision or Palpatine possessing her, I think.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  23. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
  24. littlepadawan91

littlepadawan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2016
    "What's going through my mind right now is I can't believe they showed that in a trailer"

Well, damn.

25. Amdrag

Amdrag Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 26, 2008
    It's so stupid. Especially as we watch him and everyone else wave her off.

11-4D and ForceGhostPrincessLeia like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.