main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Daisy Ridley (Rey) in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by sheri1967, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ForceGhostPrincessLeia

ForceGhostPrincessLeia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 22, 2018
    Idk, the consequences of devoting oneself to the darkside seem a bit steeper than eating too much ice cream.
    But my point remains that as tempting as darkside powers are, a person still chooses to succumb to them. Even accessing them by accident initially doesn't doom one to the darkside. A choice is involved.

2. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    I might be in the minority but I prefer Rey Palpatine over Rey Random, as i would explain all those "I can do anything and everything" contrivances if anything else.

Ideally I think I would prefer Rey Skywalker as that a) would make the most sense and b) it would prove Kylo a lying, manipulative ****.

I also don't really buy into 'anybody' can be a hero...well...according to the PT you can't, sorry. Not unless your genes carry the super duper pokemon card that allows you have a certain number of midis that 'attune' you to the force? what is that exactly? 8,000 and upwards? 9,000? sorry finn you were born with 7,999...close though dude.

3. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    And sometimes that choice can even be doing something that will put you on that path to the dark side. yes Vader can ask Luke to join him and luke can be all NO! but that choice to say no doesn't exclude that luke can still make a decision that would put him on the path to the dark side either way. its not just about choice, its also about emotion.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    HevyDevy likes this.
  4. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Lol.

(Btw I edited my last post to add some after you posted this. I was between edits and the version of the post you quoted is wrong)

I agree but it is kind of a grey area. Anakin chose it in ROTS. But his nature possibly makes the choice easier than for some?
    Like is it a choice when he killed the Tuskens? He kind of just explodes.

5. ForceGhostPrincessLeia

ForceGhostPrincessLeia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 22, 2018
    Except Rey has Skywalker level powers, which would lead one to the conclusion that she has Skywalker level midichlorians. The Emperor wanted Anakin's powers, which would lead one to the conclusion that he did NOT have Skywalker level powers. Indeed, from what we know, nobody had those crazy levels except Skywalkers. Which really points to Rey being a Skywalker and not a Palpatine.

6. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I think the way to look at it is that Rey Palpatine doesn’t address as many of the issues and complaints critics had with Rey Random as some may think, while still succumbing to the same issues different critics have with Rey Skywalker in a way that maybe asks how genuine those issues may have been.

I mean, Rey Palpatine doesn’t quite explain her power in a truly believable way, unless we start going Dr. Frankenstein now and make Rye’s power the result of an experiment... which adds an in-lore aspect of artificiality that feels like it should be regarded similar to midichlorians: if you could or couldn’t roll with that moment, you should have the same reaction to Rey Experiment.

It also just comes off as the much less effective and less interesting counterpart to Rey Skywalker: Rey knows the Skywalkers much more than Palpatine, and her personal relationships with them give her any struggles with the dark side there more resonance. I mean, she knew Han, and would now know he was family when Kylo killed him, and having her feel like she has to defend both her families would pit more pressure on her.

And while Rey Palpatine does give Rey some freedom and refute Kylo’s point, well, it just doesn’t do it as well.

And all this while Rey Palpatine is just as much of an “elitist” story as Rey Skywalker, that still makes the Galactic conflict a small affair between two families.

Of course it was never like Rey Random was saying “anyone could be a hero:” if that was the case, Finn would have been exhibit A long before Rey. It’s more whether or not Force heroes are limited, which they kind of are... but only by the creatives’ choices.

7. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    that is why it's called Skywalker family Saga, which is why all of the obsession with Random never really aligned with the purpose of the Saga. I mean every single story post IX will be about some Random new character becoming the hero. The Soap Opera feel is due to the family aspect, I doubt future stories will be like this.

still think Rey Skywalker and Palpatine both at the same time has the most potential, if you insist on Palpatine. It would also change the entire 9 movie dynamic that those 2 families are intertwined even more when you go back and watch I-VI.

but so far from all the rumors, its Palpatine by blood although,a person has 2 parents not one.[face_whistling]

and 2 sources MSW and JP both state the same, movie ends on Tatooine on Lars Homestead. Why end the movie and the Skywalker Saga at Luke's home? Sure the Saga started on Tatooine/Lars back in 77 and ending the Saga there makes sense out of universe but you still need valid story reason to even end the story there. And Rey as a character needs to have some significant attachment to the place. Oh it's the home of the dude who gave me 2 2min lessons and he lived there 35 long years ago.......doesn't cut it as an endpoint to her story.

8. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    yup, exactly. Which is why I said preferably Rey Skywalker would have been a smarter choice.
    Though as I say I don't exactly hate Rey Palpatine.

@godisawesome and @starocean90 you both make good points :)

9. reyvision

reyvision Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 12, 2017
    I'll always prefer Rey Related to Leia or Luke, but I've stopped hoping for that a long time ago. Rey Random has always rang false to me, though. I always suspected JJ intended her to be related to someone important. She is the hero of this trilogy and I've never felt Rey Random worked. The latest spoilers at least make it sound like this is her movie. That was one of my problems with TLJ; the movie didn't feel like Rey's story. TFA did, and the TROS spoilers at least make it sound like her story.

10. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    calling it, end of IX, Rey travels back in time to kill Shmi Skywalker and prevent the birth of Anakin.
    "I'm looking for Shmi Skywalker." Said with an accent.

11. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Given how powerful palpatine has been shown to be in the past. I suspect they feel palpatines power level is also pretty high.

What has the skywalker power level really done apart from work under palpatine or be zapped by him.

Now Rey would be related to this "ultimate evil".

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  12. leopardhk47

leopardhk47 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 23, 2016
    But what does that do to Rey's character? How does that change her outlook given that she's not tempted by the Dark Side?

13. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    That’s just it. She needs more for it to be as powerful as it can be. Right now she’s driven by a desire to connect to her family and also find her place in this. This reveal ties both of those things to the dark side. There has to be risk. This is the only lineage tie that allows for the best of what’s been most compelling so far and the end game for that while also delivering on some of the power audiences have enjoyed about a paradigm-shattering reveal that this gift essentially comes from the devil of these stories she’s loved.

Rey’s identity crisis has been so unusual and she’s met all of the major players people thought she’d be connected to without them telling her anything about how losing someone affected them. The dramatic potential of those missed opportunities are now gone so the rushed version of those reveals versus Sidious puts Sidious on a more even playing field and feels more like a surprise kept all the way to the end for a reason. Closer to Jon Snow figuring out his true ancestry late in the game.

Especially if that phantom menace has been manipulating the scenes for some time and has been known to by all who know him. Ben Solo is the last Skywalker encountering Darth Sidious and his granddaughter hoping to repair the 30 year alliance Sidious and Vader had that built an empire. Her parents have been gone since she was 5 and we’ll learn more about them but the reason she’ll care about her only living relative is because he will make her care. This is Darth Sidious! He might as well have the Jafar snake magic staff for how he influences people. He’s the master manipulator of all events in the saga and until the Skywalkers show up she will be alone. He manipulates everyone and will do so to her and make her believe that she’s found the purpose she was looking for and that he’s changed. He might even promise to bring her parents back. He’s a devil who finds weakness and exploits it. The saga is more “the saga” than the Skywalker saga but even if one feels it must revolve around the Skywalker family it still does. They’re all still here and she chooses them and is welcomed into their family and together they stop Sidious as one family and she takes up their last name to honor them over her grandfather.

14. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Well from the sound of it they intend to correct that.

Presumbaly they will take that line from TLJ about her falling straight to the dark and expand on that by showing signs of more dark side signs.

15. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Fingers crossed that Sidious cuts off Rey's hand right before saying, "No... I am your pop pop".

16. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012

The way to save it is to boost the connection between Rey and Leia, making Leia even more of a surrogate mother and mentor to Rey. If Leia is, by the magic of cinema, placed at the Lars farm then it could close the gap. Giving Leia dialogue that says "this is where my brother grew up, the only real home my grandmother knew", could really bridge that gap. Making Rey the daughter Leia always wanted rather than her daughter in law is the way to go in my opinion...

starocean90 likes this.
  17. Amdrag

Amdrag Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 26, 2008
    To me, what I hope for the most is that Palpatine is lying to Rey. That he was hunting the Skywalker children (one belonging to Leia and one belonging to Luke), and is now attempting to manipulate the situation using what he believed brought Vader back to Luke. After all, who can prove him wrong? He then reveals, when she won't turn, that she is just like her father (Luke). But you know, wishful thinking.

18. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    No... I am your pop pop.

Amdrag and godisawesome like this.
  19. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
  20. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
  21. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Which is why the part of the leak implying her dark side is a reaction in anger and rage towards Kylo would actually make sense... because that was the natural way to go after TFA, and nothing in TLJ offered any real substance to stop it except authorial fiat from Rian Johnson with his tunnel vision.

22. reyvision

Dec 12, 2017
    I'm liking what I'm hearing about Rey so far, especially her reaction to Kylo Ren. It sounds like she finally wised up and won't fall for his schemes again. Instead, she only seems to be more angry with him, which leads her down a possible darker path. It's going to be Kylo nearly getting defeated by her to apparently come around to the light side, while also pushing Rey to her probably darkest moment.

23. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    So Rey didn't hear what Han and Kylo say on the bridge kinda like Ezra didn't hear what Ahsoka Vader sayd on Malachor despite being right behind Ahsoka. Good to know.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Rey freeing slaves is exactly the kind of story I like.
    She can mind trick on the first try now.
    It's also sad how the comic ends with her saying she's no longer alone only for her being "I've never felt so alone" in TLJ. Luke was a ****.

24. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    And yet, this likely isn't a build up of rage and anger for Kylo because of TFA. this is more a

[​IMG]

She apparently is having a tug war with Kylo, and she gets frustrated and uses lighting, which is likely seen as a bad thing for her character.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    Def Trooper likes this.
  25. reyvision

Dec 12, 2017
    The Rey and Leia bit in that comic makes me sad. :( Poor Rey. Poor Leia. Also, did they add in Leia hugging Chewie, lol?

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.