main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Daisy Ridley (Rey) in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by sheri1967, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Actually, according to the ST, it appears that using the darkside prolongs/sustains your physical body, while using the good side of the Force will kill you.

leopardhk47 likes this.
  2. Def Trooper

Def Trooper Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 6, 2019
    So...the Rey comic came out.

3. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    what about it?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  4. Def Trooper

Def Trooper Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 6, 2019
    Well...she does some stuff in it I guess.

I thought it was hilarious that they finally showed Leia and Chewie mourning together.

starocean90 likes this.
  5. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
  6. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Why does so much of the supplemental material feel like a reaction to fan complaints?

Jedi Ben and 11-4D like this.
  7. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    To me it's not even a good reaction to fan issues with the character. I'm still rolling my eyes at her.

11-4D, Darth Smurf, Dandelo and 2 others like this.
  8. TechnoTerror

TechnoTerror Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 26, 2019
    I kinda hate the art?

9. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    Yeah not digging that either. Saves money for me all around.

10. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I was going to say that the Adventures comic seems to have quite a bit more substance to Rey, her interaction with Luke, and a view of the Force than TLJ had, even if the art and purpose is explicitly more juvenile.

Don’t know about the other comic though.

11. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    That's because it's awful.

12. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    Rey sensing something bad should have been in the film before she ran off to save Mr. Hotcakes.

11-4D, wobbits, Knessa84 and 3 others like this.
  13. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    why does she look about 10?

14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    After catching up on a few threads, my take is still the same:

If we can avoid DumbAsAPost!Rey and DramaQueenInTheMaking “Identity Crisis” Rey in RoS, that would be great.

Finding out that Palpatine is her grandfather should not make her afraid that she will turn to the Dark Side. She’s aware that she has choices, right?

There is a real world connection to “forever it will dominate your destiny” in that once a person commits one evil act, it becomes easier to commit more. But turning to the Dark Side itself is not something that needs to be feared, just avoided.

15. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    It sounds like they're trying to do what Peter Jackson did with Aragorn in his LOTR trilogy. Make her doubt herself because of the failings of her past family members. It worked in LOTR, but LOTR also had a fantastic story built in, and a solid foundation for the Aragorn character. TROS will have to make it work in a single film, without the benefit of having it seeded in the previous films. If they had set up a "fear of the dark side" subplot with Rey earlier it could have paid off better with this twist. Alas.

16. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
  17. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    That would've required actual coordination between the directors and a long term plan. If there was a long term plan (and I will even allow that JJ Abrams may have outlined such ideas) they were chucked in the bin by the director of TLJ. So now JJ has to scramble to get his ideas out in one film without any set up from the previous work in the series.

On the plus side The Mandalorian is looking really good and comes out before TROS.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  18. ForceGhostPrincessLeia

ForceGhostPrincessLeia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 22, 2018
    Omg, that D-0 [face_love]
    Probably won't buy it, considering how long it's been since we charged BB-8, but I kinda really want him.

19. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    I’ll freely admit that I’m still struggling to come to terms with the fact that Palpatine has ‘physically’ returned for Episode IX.
    Up until this point, the narrative of the ST has not even slightly alluded to the Emperor perhaps being involved in it somehow?. He gets mentioned once in passing by Luke. When he recounts to Rey that the Old Republic Jedi Order were deceived by the Sith Lord.
    The majority of fans who’ll go to see the film, will know and recall that the Emperor perished 30 years ago when he got thrown down the DS2’s huge reactor shaft and exploded.
    Vader killing him to save his son was the satisfying full stop to Anakin’s (and Palpatine’s) story...

Theres a huge amount riding on this ‘return of Palpatine’ angle actually making sense and ‘working’
    for the Sequel Trilogy. IF they have somehow managed to tie it all in? Then the revelations we learn could serve to actually change the minds and opinions of fans who so far, haven’t exactly been enamoured with this trilogy I’m hoping. Me included.

My theory..
    ‘Rey’ as we know her, is one of two, ‘perfect’ Force Clones created for a purpose. To what end
    and by who? Is a mystery. Dark Rey is the other Clone who appears with the Sith Fleet.
    There is no Palpatine bloodline. Sheev had devoted himself to destroying the Jedi and having the
    Sith rule the galaxy. That’s some serious machination you just don’t plot overnight.
    Dark Lords of the Sith (much like the Jedi I guess) suppress and never give the intrinsic urge to procreate the time of day .
    So having ‘Rey’ being a Palpatine by blood would needlessly open a whole can of worms.
    Not necessarily a huge retcon I guess, but adding to canon, ‘and Sheev fathered a child etc
    just doesn’t sit right with the character.
    I think this ‘grandfather’ tag isn’t meant to be taken literally as she’s his granddaughter by blood.
    She is in fact a Clone created from his blood.

20. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Palpatine was a respected politician up until the events of ROTS. He would have had plenty of time to marry and have a family before TPM. In fact that would have been an ideal front to the public.

21. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    So away from the facade of being a benevolent Senator? Sidious had to juggle his Sith machinations of Galactic dominance between time with the wife and kids.
    And what became of them after ROTS? How did he explain to the missus why his face was all ****ed up? Lol.
    In all seriousness though, suddenly adding a dynamic trait to such a character quite late in the day
    Is quite risky.

22. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  23. RokurGepta

RokurGepta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2010

This should shut up the bUt ReY haSn'T haD aNy tRaiNinG crowd once and for all

fat chance

24. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011

How?
    I dont see the connection.

25. RokurGepta

RokurGepta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2010
    Rey is in tune with the will of the Force, specifically the light side of the Force, which in Lucas' mind was always the more powerful. She needs no training because she is an intuitive conduit. Her focus determines her reality.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.