main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Daisy Ridley (Rey) in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by sheri1967, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    I hope Bruce Campbell plays Temiri Blagg in Rian's trilogy.

Temiri: "Listen up. See this? This..... is my BROOMstick!!!"

EDIT: But this kind of talk belongs in either the Temiri or Rian's trilogy thread...... sorry for the derailment.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    Lulu Mars likes this.
  2. seattlemusicnerd

seattlemusicnerd Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2014
    I haven't been reading this forum, but I had a thought when reading the forum about Luke. My apologies if this has been discussed at length.

Kylo tells Rey to "kill the past". What if her version of killing the past is letting go of her longing for her parents? Whether that means she finds their graves, or it just stops being a focus on her life?

3. ScreamingWoman2019

ScreamingWoman2019 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2018
    Before 'kill the past' he says: 'your parents threw you like garbage, but you cant stop needing them'. Hes talking about himself.

Looking at the chronology, Little Rey and teenage Ben seem to have shared, and adult Rey and Ben/Kylo still share, a traumatic event. He is an open wound since then, she has this peculiar amnesia. So he has to kill his past ('to be free of this pain', as he says in TFA)

Her case is different. Its more probable that in IX she will have to let her (and his) own past into her life and find ways to deal with it.

NileQT87 likes this.
  4. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Kylo wants to break her away from the thing that he sees as holding her from standing with him, he wants to cause her pain and use that pain to break the bond between Rey and her parents. So whether he's telling the truth is still up for debate, the point of the words was to hurt and not inform. There probably is a little truth in that he feels Han and Leia "threw (him away) like garbage" but he doesn't need them anymore.

She's looked for a father figure probably in Unkar, then in Han and finally in Luke. All she's known is rejection, something Kylo feels binds them together, but Rey doesn't see Luke or Han as rejecting her now and shuts the door on Kylo...for now!!!

seattlemusicnerd likes this.
  5. seattlemusicnerd

seattlemusicnerd Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2014
    Thanks all! I'm hoping we do find out something about her parents. I was originally convinced she was grand-daughter of Kenobi, but I kind of like the idea that she is in fact a nobody. I think Rey needs to realize that whoever her parents were, that doesn't define who she is, what she's capable of becoming.
    Kylo, on the other hand, seems to think that he's being held back by his parents notoriety. That, and he'll always be compared to Vader.

6. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    Perhaps I'm wrong (definitely wouldn't be the first time) but I think Rey going back to Jakku for closure makes the most sense. She has to confront Unkar Plutt if for no other reason than to confirm what Kylo told her in TLJ. So I suspect that will happen quite early on. I wouldn't be shocked if that photo isn't perhaps the Pauper's Graveyard that her parents are supposedly buried in.

7. RiddleMeThis

RiddleMeThis Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2017
    I don't think confirmation is necessary. Rey knows and has always known about her parents. Being in denial is different from not knowing.

8. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    You're probably right.

9. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    Someone finds A Sidious Holocron and it confirms she's Sheev's clone

10. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    There is something poetic about finishing where we started with all of our heroes and villains on their journey in this trilogy.

cerealbox likes this.
  11. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Also, Unkar would be just as unreliable as a narrator as Kylo. As a strong force user, I think Rey can tap into her deep memory and feelings of her parents from when she was young and remember the truth now, whatever that may be.

If her youth and her parents are touched on at all again in 9 I think it'll be this way, through her own memory or a Force vision either alone or perhaps in the presence of either Luke or Maz.

I don't think we will return to Jakku.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  12. The-Clone-Wars

The-Clone-Wars Jedi Master star 3

Jun 27, 2002
    "Why does everyone want to go back to Jakku?! "

13. RiddleMeThis

Dec 7, 2017
    Unkar probably already told Rey what happened since she came into his custody. She didn't accept the explanation and thus went into deep denial about it for many years, in my opinion. She loathes Unkar in any case, and I can't see her trusting his word over Kylo's, who she seems to already believe.

I get the impression from recent leaks that there could be a desert planet in IX but yes, it may not be Jakku.

Rodie likes this.
  14. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    Lots of Lore in the Wendig novels: a previously verdant planet. The Emperor's observatory. Who is the Sitter? What's important about the Pilgrim's Road.

Sacred sites.

Yeah,lots to explore on Jakku.

CrazyOldJedi likes this.
  15. RiddleMeThis

Dec 7, 2017
    I meant to add to my post but lost signal and ran out of time.

I don't consider Kylo an unreliable narrator in this context. He gave a biased account of his own past (as did Luke) but has no reason to be biased about Rey's origins. You can tell that Kylo did not expect for his predestined equal in the Force to be so beneath him in terms of class/status. I would argue that Kylo would have had more to gain by telling Rey to rule with him as cousins or siblings. She has wanted to find her family more than anything and Kylo knows this, he recognizes it as her greatest weakness. It would've been more effective in tempting her to join him by revealing that they are related, whether that's true or not. But he didn't and instead told her that her family is gone and they were nothing. If that's a lie, then it was a weak ass lie compared to just about anything else he could've said to get her to join him.

Birkendoc likes this.
  16. Rodie

Apr 16, 2014
    If sand is involved, I'd say Tattooine is more likely than Jakku. And probably only briefly to tie up the saga nicely together with the planet featuring in all three trilogies—3 times in the PT, 2 times in the OT and 1 time in the ST. Nice progression that.

17. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I think she will find something out about her parents in Episode 9. I don't think Abrams will change who they are (or aren't), but I think the circumstances that lead to them leaving Rey on Jakku will be explained more and won't be as black and white.

18. Darth Corydon

Aug 4, 2018
    BECAUSE ALL OF NU CANON Made it super important

19. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Isn't there a secret underground base for research into the Darkside, or something like that, there?
    Good reasons to fight a big battle over it?

Rodie likes this.
  20. Darth Corydon

Aug 4, 2018
    that among other things

21. Rodie

Apr 16, 2014
    According to ancillary materials yes, but within the galaxy of the movies themselves, no. The only thing people who just watch the movies know about Jakku is that it's a junkyard of old wrecked ships and that Rey grew up there.

Any other information and exposition would have to be introduced in the film to explain why further time spent there is necessary in 9. No seeds have been sown already in TFA and TLJ. For that reason I doubt it'll happen. The story has to push forward, not reach back.

22. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Well yeah, part of TFA's repeating themes is the story of a kid leaving their small town to discover a larger world.

I had a desire for Luke to go back to Tatooine, but that's not the story. Tatooine was a place to leave.
    And so I guess that's the same for Rey and Jakku.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  23. MingLives

MingLives Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 19, 2015
    "Home is made for comin' from, for dreams of goin' to
    Which with any luck will never come true”

GregMcP likes this.
  24. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Yes, and "ancillary" materials have been used quite a bit in this era of movies. Most obviously with that one cameo in Solo, but even besides that, they've shown that they're not afraid to make references to sources other than movies, so we can't discount anything just because it's "ancillary."

Rodie likes this.
  25. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Not sure if this has been discussed but I think Rey might be Luke's kid. [face_skull]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.