main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Daisy Ridley (Rey) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Chained Prometheus, Apr 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    See: Every religion.

Blastaar likes this.
  2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    You got me there.:(

3. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015

I guess nobody should use deductive reasoning. Or do things like solve equations or write algorithms unless they pioneered math.......

4. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    I agree. We should not only look at the questions & answers said but also the ones not.

For instance CT said Rey's reveal will leave people with satisfaction. He didn't say any, few or most will be disappointed.

Remember MH said some fans WILL be disappointed with TFA.

5. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    And those "some fans" are a vocal minority.

6. theMaestro

theMaestro Jedi Master star 3

Oct 16, 2015
    Has anybody watched Dragon Ball? I was recently thinking about that show and couldn't help but notice some similarities between Rey and Goku:
    1.) Both are extraordinarily powerful & learn new moves very quickly
    Rey learns Jedi mind trick after Kylo invades her mind:
    [​IMG]
    Goku learns kamehameha after seeing it done only once:
    [​IMG]
    2.) Both live in a location that is cut off from most of the world & don't know who their parents are
    Rey on Jakku:
    [​IMG]
    Goku in woods:
    [​IMG]
    3.) Both carry around a staff-like weapon
    Rey with her staff:
    [​IMG]
    Goku with his power pole:
    [​IMG]
    4.) Both encounter a fancy outsider of the opposite sex, initially think that said person is an enemy, and then eventually befriend them.
    Rey points staff at Finn:
    [​IMG]
    Goku points power pole at Bulma:
    [​IMG]
    5.) They're also both kind of naive about how the rest of the world is. Goku is constantly surprised at what he sees on his adventures with Bulma while Rey expresses amazement at various things including the greenery on Maz's planet.

What do you guys think? Is this a common archetype or maybe there was some inspiration drawn from Toriyama's work (which itself was inspired by the Chinese novel Journey to the West by Wu Cheng'en)?

KnightStorm and Force Smuggler like this.
  7. Eternal_Jedi

Eternal_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 12, 2001
    I still don't see a problem with the way that Rey learned to use the Force in the film.

She's obviously heard of the Jedi, even if she thought they were only myths and legends. Chances are good that she's heard the term "Jedi mind trick" used at least one or twice in her life. Watto and Jabba both use the term pretty casually. She must have heard about some of the feats that Luke Skywalker and the Jedi were able to accomplish.

Shortly after experiencing the vision through the Force (which, if she had any remaining doubts that it was real, would have erased those doubts), she encounters Kylo Ren, who uses the Force to paralyze her, read her thoughts, and then render her unconscious. When she comes to, Kylo Ren is there and he again invades her mind, this time probing much deeper. The Force has awakened within Rey and she fights back. He gets a lot of her surface-level thoughts before she is able to repel him. When she does finally push him out, she actually invades his mind and exposes what it is that he is afraid of.

The mechanics of reading minds and performing mind tricks aren't terribly important here. It's possible that she learned the mind trick from that brief moment that she pushed into his mind, but that seems a bit contrived and unnecessary. What if Kylo Ren inadvertently taught her how to get into someone's mind in the process of invading her mind? Maybe she could feel exactly what he was doing, and when she really pushed back and got inside his head for a moment, she understood how to make that connection. Ren used the Force to control her mind and/or body several times, and it's entirely possible that being subjected to that could grant someone strong with the Force some insight into how it was done.

It's not uncommon for a talented beginner to pull off a feat that normally requires a lot of practice. Once or twice, that is. Being able to do it consistently is an entirely different matter. She pushes back and gets inside Kylo Ren's head for a moment. Then she tries to use the Force to influence the stormtrooper's mind and fails. Twice. She succeeds on the third try, but there is no indication that she has mastered the feat and that she could do it successfully the next time she tried it.

And I'm certainly no master, but I've done enough martial arts to figure out that knowing one form of hand-to-hand combat makes it a whole lot easier to pick up other forms. I think RPGs that treat each weapon type as a distinct and unrelated skill get it wrong. Obviously wielding a staff is different from wielding a sword and they're both different from unarmed combat. But there is an awful lot of transference from one "skill" to another.

It is also entirely possible that Rey actually has more real-world hand-to-hand combat experience (i.e. with people actually trying to kill or harm her) than does Kylo Ren. He's certainly done a lot more formal practice and training, but how many times has he actually had to fight when his life was in danger? We don't know.

theMaestro likes this.
  8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Yep. Goku and Rey are very similar imo.

9. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Technically isn't she Goku mixed with Bulma. Like Bulma she is a girl, has expert mechanical knowledge, carries a gun, is a pilot and rides a hover bike.

10. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I just rewatched TFA, and I'm really starting to think that Daisy Ridley may be the most talented actor in all of SW so far. Even though SW is not always known for award-winning performances from its actors, I know that is still a big statement because a lot of the others have been absolutely great, too. That includes the Big 3 and it also includes John Boyega, because his performance as Finn is also excellent. But there is something about Daisy's performance in TFA that just goes beyond anything I think we've seen up to now. It's just mind-boggling that she was apparently getting close to calling it quits on the whole acting thing until she heard back from the TFA casting calls.

Really looking forward to seeing Rey next in Episode 8 (and Finn too).

11. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    She might well be the best performer in a Star Wars movie. But best overall? Not yet. McGregor, Cushing, Lee, Guinness... these guys have a much, much longer and wider pedigree acting wise overall. I truly hope she will be the first true great to get a start from Star Wars (if you don't include Harrison Ford of course ;)) but she's not there yet for me.

Ord Sorrell likes this.
  12. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, I clarified in the other thread where I made that statement that I meant specifically for their role in a SW movie... so SW performance to SW performance.

jakobitis89 and Ord Sorrell like this.
  13. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Daisy has the potential to be one of the best actresses of all time. Mainly because she does a near flawless American accent, and that can lead to abilities some consider to be unnatural.

Ord Sorrell likes this.
  14. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Huh?

Are you basing this off of Only Yesterday?

15. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    Rey can't fly on a cloud, though. Which is sad. :(

Отправлено с моего SM-A310F через Tapatalk

16. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    We still have two more movies.

17. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Unless Rey is not pure of heart.

But seriously, the Falcon may as well be a stand in for the nimbus.

18. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    And the Nimbus 2000. ;)

Отправлено с моего SM-A310F через Tapatalk

19. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    I heard about this "pure of heart" Goku character.

Is trying to ditch BB-8immediately after getting herself involved with him and Teedo only to begrudgingly give him shelter really that pure of heart? Is her quickness to anger in that and other situations showing her purity of heart?

20. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    Yes it is, actually. Because when she's calmed down and thinking straight she'll always try and do a good deed for someone. Her initial reaction was to ditch BB but she took him in instead. She got cross with Finn on multiple occasions but the two of them became friends quickly and there was real loyalty between the two of them. She got angry and scared fighting Ren but without any proper training she managed to control her emotions and let go of her attachments in the middle of a duel. Her heart is pretty dang pure and having a short temper doesn't detract from that at all.

It's actually one of the most impressive things about Daisy's performance for me - Rey is not this Pollyanna, all-loving type. She's got plenty of things to hold her down (her short temper, abandonment issues etc.) but she chooses to be a good person despite those things. She's a character who actively works to overcome her flaws.

EHT, redxavier and Jazz9276 like this.
  21. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    The Hollywood Reporter - Hollywood's 50 Favorite Female Characters

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...-awakens-50-favorite-female-characters-951541

Jazz9276, CairnsTony and Ewok Poet like this.
  22. dsematsu

dsematsu Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 6, 2013
    The more I think about Rey, a character that I originally despised due to her being overpowered, the more I think the writers can't be that inept. The only explanation for me is that Rey has actually had her memory erased somehow. The only way she could do all these amazing things is if she had learned them at one point. I'm thinking she was a pupil of Luke's, and had her memory erased and then left with a simple impression that her family abandoned her as a child. The way everyone treats her, and the fact the Falcon just happens to be on Jakku, is really making me lean in this direction. I think she was left there intentionally by Luke, or perhaps another person. His face at the end even suggests this to me, like, "oh, she made it, my long lost gifted pupil!" To be honest, he even looks surprised, making me think that perhaps he didn't even know she was taken. Maybe Leia and Han took her away from Luke? I'm thinking aloud now, but suddenly I've just come to believe that the most likely explanation is usually the simplest one. She was trained at one point. Is there some piece of leaked info that debunks this?

I mean, Han finds her, then just happens to take her where Luke's saber is, in his ship that just happened to be on Jakku? Everything is just a bit too convenient, like it was by design. Leia's familiarity with her... Either that, or the writers really did just make a bunch of random events occur.

topgoalscorer_no11 likes this.
  23. dsematsu

dsematsu Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 6, 2013
  24. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    i have a feeling, shes Luke's, Han and Leia's or someone who turned dark. Maybe Palpatine.

25. topgoalscorer_no11

topgoalscorer_no11 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    I find your faith... touching. We can but hope. She'd better actually suffer and lose a limb or two in Episode 8 - and I say that with much love.

26. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Watching it again yesterday I suddenly noticed the strong similarity between Rey's first conscious use of the force on the mind of the trooper and the Wampa cave scene in ESB. With the intercutting between her first failed attempts, Kylo stalking towards the cell and then back to her eventually succeeding.

Grey Matter likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.