main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Daisy Ridley (Rey) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Chained Prometheus, Apr 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    oh sorry got confused between boards!!!!!

Lulu Mars likes this.
  2. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Carrying this discussion over from the Rogue One forum, where it didn't belong.

I've noticed that this rejection of Rey knowing more about recent modifications to the Falcon than Han, despite the fact that Rey knew of these changes due to her relationship with Unkar (who made them), is quite prevalent among fans online who dislike the character. While there are other legitimate reasons for finding the Rey character lacking, this is certainly not one of them, and I'm trying to understand why there's such vitriol aimed at her for "knowing more than Han about the Falcon." The logical reasons for that are spelled out so clearly in TFA, that this legitimately baffles me.

Hernalt and Jester J Binks are also welcome to respond with an explanation that disabuses me of the only explanation that seems to make sense. I'm open to changing my mind.

3. Dagobah Dragonsnake

Dagobah Dragonsnake Jedi Master star 4

Feb 7, 2016
    Gigoran Monk: Yes, a bit baffling. Not one to tout my own abilities of keen observation, I got that first viewing. Actually Han's upset at the modification, and her reply was ... well ... perhaps a giveaway that she was around when Plutt had it done. Her mechanical abilities and knowledge of how things work from that, and her scavenger days, should at least give a hint to the most unobservant why she could figure out how to bypass the compressor. Actually Han's reaction to that, and her reaction to Han's reaction was one of many smaller asides I especially liked in the film (even better when I knew he was going to offer her a job later).

Jazz9276, Lulu Mars and Gigoran Monk like this.
  4. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    That is constructed. Here's my data.

I personally am not ejected from the experience by Rey knowing more about the Falcon, in that moment, than Han. The evidence provided inside the frame of the film itself provides a basis that Unkar modifies the Falcon, and Rey knows about it, and Han cannot know about it, until Rey relates this knowledge, as confirmation, to Han, who is understandably transported by a spectrum of emotions in a pretty instantaneous confrontation with a doppelganger. (It's been a year since I saw it. I have no plans to see it an eighth time. My recollection might be off slightly.)

On the point of the elephant in the room. In this scene, I understand Abrams' choices. A progressive demonstration of equal mechanical capability between the sexes, and the ages for that matter, played out between an aging Caucasian male demographic and a (well, Rey is) Caucasian young female demographic. Disney cast the actress; I did not. One demographic on a cellular level has a fundamental resonance with one party, and another demographic on a cellular level has a fundamental resonance with the other party. (Excluding overtones.) A hysteresis exists at all points when one demographic is asked to yield space to accommodate a new demographic. The reasons may span from altruistic to practical, and no one reason is necessarily exclusive of another reason. This scene with Han and Rey is certainly not only a generational hand off. The generation that resonates with the aging cowboy is asked to, or tasked to, carve out a space in their understanding or world view that another player of equal or analogous skill can absorb whatever duty to the good cause is incumbent on this entrance. This is of course the hand off of Han's light saber. (In the way that Luke's non-acceptance of Rey's hand off is the hand off of Luke's light saber, but that's a story for another time.)

A gradualist approach to progress is that a step is founded and based and connected and reversible. An ingradualist approach to progress is that a step requires none of these safety features, and is of a perceived or ideal or desired quantum of significance. This scene by Abrams is gradualist in progress. Information is provided. A foundation is constructed inside film time, therefore, demonstrated. A complex list of intuitions are checked off beneath awareness that this transfer of power, and influence on the project of the good cause, is square and beneficial. The demographic that is yielding power is offered opportunity to purchase stock in the new entrant. All the movements in a gradualist approach to progress have varying periods of hysteresis. Some take little time, some take much time. Movements in an ingradual approach to progress exceed relevant time frames of hysteresis. The subsequent failure of hysteresis to settle down upon some new paradigm determined by a desired quantum of progress is then, from the concentrated numerical superiority of some given platform, assigned to reprehensible causes. From a gradualist demographic that is accustomed to progress by continuum of hysteresis, the assignment of reprehensible cause, particularly by the clairvoyant omniscient, is odious.

I speak precisely by dire need. You are free to jettison my regard by reducing this to pretension.

Cheers.

(Latin, gradus)

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  5. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    I agree. The hysteria is likely born not out of the details of what was presented on screen, but rather, by the filmmaker asking the audience to accept that an old male cowboy is passing the baton to a young female (and that the young female is already starting to run ahead of him, before the baton is even passed).

But this affirms my suspicion that the general reaction to this specific scene/ set of scenes, whereby Rey is portrayed to have more knowledge than Han about the Falcon in its current state, isn't about the film not offering sufficient practical and logical justification for that. Rather, it is more than likely about the meta-narrative of an old man ceding ground to a young woman.

I concede, however, that this may not be the case for everyone. But your analysis affirms my view that there's a "gender conflict" element to some of the hysteria aimed at Rey's knowledge of the Falcon vis-a-vis Han Solo.

6. WookieeShampoo

WookieeShampoo Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2015

I think the even stronger real world conflict that shines thru in the discussion is young, well educated people taking over jobs from elders. I´ts a generational conflict more than a gender conflict although the latter is surly a part of it too as woman now have a much better position in society and thankfully aren´t as suppressed as they were which also might trigger fear of loosing power in some.

Jazz9276 and Gigoran Monk like this.
  7. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Good point. Generational/ gender/ racial conflict, often rooted in economic and financial anxiety, is at the heart of so many political dynamics these days, that it's not at all surprising that it's reflected in SW (and in fan conversations about SW). That said, the world will be taken by the new generation. That's an inexorable truth. The sooner us old farts recognize that, the better we'll all be for it.

8. Blue 5

Blue 5 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2017

I agree. At this point, any narrative logic would be much appreciated.

9. ladygrey45

Dec 30, 2015
    as long as shes not totally random.

10. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    no she should be random. makes more sense.

11. ladygrey45

Dec 30, 2015

not really, it would make no sense for her robe random. Especially money wise for disney they would be taking a very risky gamble, unless they did so so well, like her parents were siths, or something but just random no, all important Star Wars main people came from important family, Anakin influenced by the midchlorians,, Luke and Leia Anakin and Padmes children, those are the main main characters. And now Han is getting his own back story. It makes sense for Finn to be random not Rey.

12. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    yoda didn't have a special background. tarkin didn't, jango didn't, palpatine didn't, etc.

13. ladygrey45

Dec 30, 2015
    yeah but they are not the main leads, they are very very very important characters but theyre not who we follow narratively through the story.

oncafar likes this.
  14. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016

15. ladygrey45

Dec 30, 2015
    so a hero can't have any struggles or fall?

16. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Pablo Hidalgo had a very interesting response to a question regarding younger Rey's clothing during the Forceback sequence in TFA. Left me with the impression that the assumption she was left there and then with Plutt is wrong and that she could simply be projecting her desire for a family to many ships she imagines as potential family members.

https://mobile.twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/823709608690626560

MS1 and Ricardo Funes like this.
  17. Jedi Battlemaster Drallig

Jedi Battlemaster Drallig Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 23, 2017
    I Love You Daisy Ridley

What a find

Pure Magic and Strength

18. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015

Humm, this guy was into something.... Pablo dodged the question....

MS1 likes this.
  19. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    Has anyone mentioned the Rey Song You tube video by Whitney Avalon?

Just wondered given what it focuses on thought it might be of interest?

20. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.