main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Daisy Ridley (Rey) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Voider, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    I'm still convinced Rey has a lineage of some kind. TFA set that up blatantly, it was obvious. RJ wanted to subvert expectations and bring the characters and audience to a low point, so he pretended that it's not there, but it is. Ep IX will reveal something big about her.

2. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    His reaction when he hears about "a girl" implies CLEARLY that there's something they are not telling us in the movie at that specific point of the plot. It was the first thought that came up in my mind, and so many other people's minds too. It is not a reaction that anyone would facilitate if she was supposed to be a random person. So it's either a mystery left for later (and of course retconed by RJ and left unexplained by JJ, cause these are their two most characteristic traits in the ST), or extremely poor acting (overacting, to be precise) by Adam Driver. I don't think it's the latter.

At that point in TFA, it was used to make us think that there was something special about her.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  3. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    THREAD MERGE.

4. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    She does have a lineage. Sigh. :(

5. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    That's probably the real answer, but my initial thought was that he suspected that he knew her (either a cousin, sibling or a fellow young Jedi apprentice that had somehow escaped).

6. SHAD0W-JEDI

SHAD0W-JEDI Force Ghost star 4

May 20, 2002
    Personally, I don't need Rey to somehow be a Skywalker, or the daughter or grand-daughter of a powerful Jedi, or to have a "miraculous conception" as was claimed for Anakin. What I would like, on screen, is for someone (and a Force ghost Yoda would serve nicely in this respect) to acknowledge that her Force sensitivity IS extraordinary (Luke did allude to this in TLJ, granted)... its not just that she is 'strong with the Force" but crazily so, maybe (almost certainly) unprecedentedly so. I'd be fine if, while doing so, it was remarked that sometimes, that is just how it is - the Force chooses to manifest itself, according to it's rules, sometimes running in families, sometimes appearing where it hasn't ever before. Just...how it is. But her unprecedented aptitudes - and I do feel they are unprecedented, in the movies - should be acknowledged and at least briefly discussed.

And as to her parents...in another thread, I touched on how movies, visually, with cues and hints, and in other ways, through music, through the way shots are framed, from the amount of time devoted to this or that, set us up for things. To like one character, to not like another, to trust one and distrust another, to pay attention to THIS, but not to THAT, etc. And the WAY we were told bout Rey's parents...seeing her abandonment (not simply being told about it), seeing her sitting there wearing a Rebel helmet, having her origins discussed, having Rey eager to learn about them, we were definitely set up to expect her parents to have significance. Basically, we were playing along. It's not a case of the fans having unreasonable expectations...we were GIVEN those expectations. If it was mentioned, offhandedly, that she was an orphan, parents dead, I don't think we would have cared much or dwelt on it. But we were set up to care. I bring this up only because if our expectations are being "subverted", I feel they are expectations we were given, so that if we have issues with now being told NOT to care, it's "on the film-makers", and not on us, if we don't find that fully satisfying.

7. JediKnightYJK

JediKnightYJK Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 17, 2016
    At this point to me I don't think making Rey connected to someone is a good idea. I think that will make the whole story a mess.

8. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    I think Rey is possibly Kylo’s sister. It would explain their strong bond and why they can easily communicate telepathically like Luke and Leia. I imagine when Kylo went to the Dark Side, Han and Leia had her hidden so Snoke and Kylo could not find her, mirroring how Luke and Leia were hidden from Emperor Palpatine and Vader.

In TFA, Kylo reacts to Rey by saying “I’ve heard so much about you,” and when officer mentions a girl, Ren chokes him and says irritately, “what girl?!” This could denote that Kylo has either been searching for her or he was told by Snoke he has a sister.

Other possibilities is she is a Skywalker, because only Anakin had such Force Acumen, “he can see things before they happen..” (Qui-Gon-Jinn, Epusode I, The Phantom Menance). This would fit nicely in the end of the Skywalker Saga. Another possibility is Rey is a reincarnated Jedi of Great Power.

Finally, Rey could be the real Chosen One to bring balance to the Force. That Anakin wasn’t the Chosen One afterall. This would explain her raw power.

9. sonnyleesmith

sonnyleesmith Jedi Master star 2

Apr 29, 2014
    Rey could still be Luke’s daughter. Luke could be the drunkard that dropped her off on Jakku. After being presumed dead and having lost his faith in the Force, he could have turned to drink and later felt so disgusted with himself that he fled to the island. Could be, you never know. It satisfies the two narratives that the movies have brought forth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    Luke being Rey’s father would be intriguing. It would make us EU/Legends happy if Mara Jade shows up as Rey’s mother. I doubt Disney would allow Mara to emerge, unless they tweak her backstory a bit.

11. Tusken Slayer

Tusken Slayer Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 7, 1999
    The marketing for TFA heavily implied Rey was a Skywalker...or someone in the movie would be...someone who wasn't the villain. From the teaser trailer to Kennedy announcing "This new trilogy will follow the Skywalker family and their new generation of children" - children is plural.

I know the common response: "I wouldn't want everyone to be a Skywalker, it gets old"

Yes, I wouldn't either. That's why I was a bit disappointed that we only end up with one Skywalker kid (Kylo) and one new force sensitive on the light side (Rey). And that Finn isn't force sensitive. It would have been cool if Finn being force sensitive helped him fight off the brain washing.

Seeing a new generation of Skywalkers fighting alongside new non-Skywalker Jedi would have been fascinating to me.

The prequels had so many Jedi who weren't Skywalkers.

The OT just focused on Luke as the one and only new Jedi in training.

I was hoping for a middle ground option in the ST. Han and Leia having more than one kid. Luke having a kid or two. Then a small group of new, non-Skywalker Jedi that Luke trained. This way Rey being a Skywalker wouldn't be met with "Noooo I don't want everyone to be related to each other" from fans.

Just look at Vikings. Ragnar has 5 kids. And the sibling dynamic is really interesting. I know many hate the direction that show has gone as it steered far from being worth of a history channel show, but I still enjoy it.

EDIT: a bit off topic, but to anyone who follows the sport of MMA, Kron Gracie just won his UFC debut. He is the only male heir to the legendary Rickson Gracie, and fans are super excited about it. Just as humans we are fascinated with royal or legendary bloodlines. Like Creed or Game of Thrones.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  12. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    I would like to see a drunk Jedi Luke coming to Jakku with his daughter and absolutely freaks out they have no Tosche Stations on the planet...and then just takes off, leaving Rey behind. Hope they do that on Robot Chicken.

13. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    In my Episode 9 treatment that I wrote for the contest here last year, I made Rey the reincarnation of the Matriarch of the Jedi, a figure who was the first Jedi and who some Jedi believed would return to create a new Jedi Order once the Sith had been destroyed and balance returned to the Force. The latter Jedi dropped this last part of the prophecy as they couldn't envision a scenario in which a new Jedi Order would need to be created. Well, we know how that turned out! I hope Rey's extraordinary Force powers are addressed in IX and I don't think she will be related to any of the main characters. I think Disney deliberately wants to start a new era of Star Wars with a new bloodline.

14. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998
    While I agree with you from a "writing" standpoint, I really do hope they don't do this. If this is the Skywalker saga (which is what they market it as), I would prefer the Skywalkers to actually be the heroes.

15. Sean David MacArthur

Sean David MacArthur Jedi Youngling

Feb 19, 2019
    Check out my tribute to star wars :

16. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    That's nice, but these forums aren't for promoting your work. It belongs in the Fan Art forum, not in the Rey in the ST thread.
    If you want to contribute to the discussions here you're more than welcome to do so, but if your posts continue to be off topic self-promotion, you're going to end up being banned from here.

17. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    If they now go back and make Rey be from famous heritage again it's just going to be a bit silly. She's got famous ancestors! Ha-ha, just kidding, she's nobody. But wait! She really IS from a famous bloodline after all! All the flip-flopping makes it hard to care.

I personally think if they do go down the ''parents were no-name shmoes" route then it could be saved - perhaps Anakin is so very disappointed in his grandson he's decided to do-over his own conception and somehow influence the Force into creating a brand new Chosen One like he was (supposed to be.) Rey IS still important but her parentage is not.

Mila Lazarus, Shadao and Palp_Faction like this.
  18. Sean David MacArthur

Sean David MacArthur Jedi Youngling

Feb 19, 2019
    I found the art forum thanks.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  19. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    Exactly. I'm almost certain she's special even though her parents weren't.

Mila Lazarus likes this.
  20. Knight of Jedi Ren Sith

Knight of Jedi Ren Sith Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 29, 2018
    Drunkard Luke! [face_laugh]

Would have been preferable to what we have.

afrojedi and Tusken Slayer like this.
  21. Tusken Slayer

Tusken Slayer Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 7, 1999
    I'd love to see the reaction if someone in early or mid-2016 got a hold of TLJ script and told us everything about it, but presented it as "Fan speculation" based on a source that may or may not be reliable (let's say this person had an "in" at Lucasfilm).

I'm dying to know how we would have reacted. Especially to the Luke bits.

22. afrojedi

afrojedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 23, 2015
    I wouldn't know whether that person drank or not, but I would have definitely bet they were smoking something.

Glitterstimm and Tusken Slayer like this.
  23. Bob Saget from the 90's

Bob Saget from the 90's Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 27, 2018
    I think Rey having a Skywalker/Solo lineage could work as a sort of reverse of the "No, I am your father" reveal. Though I wasn't around at the time from what I understand some fans thought Vader was lying to Luke in attempt to get him to join the dark side. Maybe Kylo actually is lying just to bring Rey on his side. He knew if he revealed her true identity then she would never join him. He understood Rey was searching for something to belong to, and only he would have been able to provide it. If he gave Rey a separate lineage to go run off too, one more appealing in Luke or Leia, then that weakens his hand.

Though I also like the explanation you came up with above that Anakin created her using the force, though that would require the help of Hayden which I am not sure Disney would be on board for.

Tusken Slayer likes this.
  24. Raz Zaphon

Raz Zaphon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2000
    Wow, amazing that people are still going for Rey having some special lineage.

"No, you're still holding on! Let go!"

https://www.wired.com/2015/11/star-wars-force-awakens-jj-abrams-interview/

The script for VIII is written. I’m sure rewrites are going to be endless, like they always are. But what Larry and I did was set up certain key relationships, certain key questions, conflicts. And we knew where certain things were going. We had meetings with Rian and Ram Bergman, the producer of VIII. They were watching dailies when we were shooting our movie. We wanted them to be part of the process, to make the transition to their film as seamless as possible. I showed Rian an early cut of the movie, because I knew he was doing his rewrite and prepping. And as executive producer of VIII, I need that movie to be really good. Withholding serves no one and certainly not the fans. So we’ve been as transparent as possible.

Rian has asked for a couple of things here and there that he needs for his story. He is an incredibly accomplished filmmaker and an incredibly strong writer. So the story he told took what we were doing and went in the direction that he felt was best but that is very much in line with what we were thinking as well. But you’re right—that will be his movie; he’s going to do it in the way he sees fit. He’s neither asking for nor does he need me to oversee the process.

When you look back at the original trilogy, are there certain scenes that stand out to you?

It would be a much shorter conversation to talk about the scenes that didn’t stand out. As a fan of Star Wars, I can look at those movies and both respect and love what they’ve done. But working on The Force Awakens, we’ve had to consider them in a slightly different context. For example, it’s very easy to love “I am your father.” But when you think about how and when and where that came, I’m not sure that even Star Wars itself could have supported that story point had it existed in the first film, Episode IV. Meaning: It was a massively powerful, instantly classic moment in movie history, but it was only possible because it stood on the shoulders of the film that came before it. There had been a couple of years to allow the idea of Darth Vader to sink in, to let him emerge as one of the greatest movie villains ever. Time built up everyone’s expectations about the impending conflict between Luke and Vader. If “I am your father” had been in the first film, I don’t know if it would have had the resonance. I actually don’t know if it would have worked.

In the very same way, Rey confessing that her parents were nobody was a big moment in TLJ in a way that it couldn't have been in TFA.

https://www.slashfilm.com/jj-abrams-interview-star-wars-the-force-awakens/

J.J. Abrams: Yes, and what I’m getting to is having said all that and meaning it — I don’t want to presume over-write or change what George says the rules are. I’m not someone who quite understands the science of the Force. To me Star Wars was never about science fiction — it was a spiritual story. And it was more of a fairytale in that regard. For me when I heard Obi-Wan say that the Force surrounds us and binds us all together, there was no judgement about who you were. This was something that we could all access. Being strong with the Force didn’t mean something scientific, it meant something spiritual. It meant someone who could believe, someone who could reach down to the depths of your feelings and follow this primal energy that was flowing through all of us. I mean, that’s what was said in that first film! And there I am sitting in the theater at almost 11 years old and that was a powerful notion. And I think this is what your point was, we would like to believe that when **** gets serious, that you could harness that Force I was told surrounds not just some of us but every living thing. And so, I really feel like the assumption that any character needs to have inherited a certain number of midi-chlorians or needs to be part of a bloodline. It’s not that I don’t believe that as part of the canon, I’m just saying that at 11 years old, that wasn’t where my heart was. And so I respect and adhere to the canon but I also say that the Force has always seemed to me to be more inclusive and stronger than that.

The only thing I'm aware of to cling to is the remark from Simon Pegg. Surely some offhand remark regarding an early draft can't contradict the vision of the two ST trilogy directors established in these quotes?

Is there at least anyone around from the Rey's Parentage thread from TFAs release time who can now admit that Rey Nobody was the correct theory?

If IX doesn't undo what's been established will people still debate this?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    Mila Lazarus likes this.
  25. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010

I will. I was wrong in calling a parentage reveal.

But yeah, I think people will still debate it if IX doesn’t undo it, albeit less as a “Rey *is* a Skywalker” and instead as a “Rey should have been a Skywalker” maybe sprinkled with a “Rey Random needed to be written much better than the ST did.”

Part of the problem is that Rey isn’t written as some new type of Force hero, especially not in TLJ. Under the pens of Kasdan/Abrams but especially Johnson, she’s a flat and watered down Dr. Thunder soda pop to the Skywalkers’ Dr Pepper. TFA based her heavily off the Skywalkers, and while it also gave her some unique traits and didn’t necessarily make her suffer the possible problems of a new Skywalkers character, TLJ embraced all the negative issues of being a Skywalker from a dramatic standpoint while also stripping her of the few unique elements from TFA. She suffers from seeming overpowered without being tied to the Chosen One explanation of Anakin, is stuck repeating history and copying whole scenes and ideas from the OT but without good writing or motivations (because RJ can’t stand to have someone hate Kylo), and she’s still deriving her power and importance from a Skywalker... but it’s the bratty torturer and killer of her friends instead of the heroes for whom she’s a successor.

TLJ not only stripped her of the potential benefits of being a Skywalker regarding her placement on the story and greater thematic contrast with Kylo, or also stripped her of the potential benefits of being Random: she’s not faced with a compelling challenge from facing a more powerful Skywalker villain, she’s not going through a long and engaging struggle to master her skills to try and match the Skywalkers, and she’s still not reall6 an example of “anyone can be the hero” since she’s still just born special for “reasons.”

If Rey had been revealed as a Skywalker in TLJ, we’d have no doubt that the ST is her story and not Kylo’s (as some of his fans feel it has to be after TLJ’s setup), we’d have far more room for debate and speculation about what will happen to Kylo (since he wouldn’t be the only Generation 3 Skywalker), we’d have an engaging storyline thread for IX and between the OT and ST (Who is Rey’s mom and what happened to her?), and we’d have Rey struggling with the issue of feeling she was abandoned by the same “hero” she’s supposed to follow in the footsteps of, all while the overall conflict some off as a duel between the legacies of Vader and the Skywalkers with the ST as the rubber match,to see which one will actually last.

Rey Skywalker would always have been the easiest option for both profitability and engagement with the audience, and without any real creative drawbacks outside of dubious complaints about more Skywalker heroes being boring to some people. And TLJ has pretty much permanently handicapped Rey Random’s appeal; even if Abrams and Terrio fix it up a bit for IX, we’ve still basically avoided that ideas adavantges and even tried to contradict them in TLJ, so they payoff cinematically is limited to one film, really.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.