main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Dalton FanForce In The Newspaper!

Discussion in 'Archive: Dalton, GA' started by EmilieDarklighter, May 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
  2. Sage_Halcyon

Sage_Halcyon Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2002
    I must say, when I clicked your link and it led to... Well, I laughed because of the mistake, not the story, but I laughed because what it led to is this:

Paul Allen Roberts thought he had properly registered with the Whitfield County Sheriff's Office, a condition of his release from jail on charges of aggravated child molestation.

That's just the first paragraph. Nice link, Emmi... What kind of FanForce are you runnin', babe?

:p

Sage H.

3. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
    Well, we're the Smuggler's Alliance, aren't we, hotshot? :p

The newslink changes daily because that link is to the front page news. I can get the real article though. *runs to get*

EDIT: Here ya go, hotshot. ;)

The Force is with the fans

By Charles Oliver, charlesoliver@daltoncitizen.com, Wednesday, May 18, 2005
    Tuesday, May 17, 2005 11:26 PM EDT

Emily Pritchard wasn't even born when "Star Wars" was released in 1977,

"I'm a 'Phantom Menace' baby," she said, referring to the fourth "Star Wars" film.

Her father took her to see "Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace" six years ago when she was just 12.

"My mother thought I would be bored and told me to just lay my head down and go to sleep if I got bored. She's been eating those words ever since," she said.

Pritchard says that film enthralled her, even if she didn't understand much of what was going on.

Her father had the first three films on videotape, and she watched all three the next day.

"I began writing fan fiction a few months after that," she said.

Over the past six years, she has amassed a "library" of "Star Wars" novels, as well as trading cards, action figures, board games and other collectibles.

What makes the films so compelling?

"To be honest, at first it was the guys," she said, adding that she found Luke Skywalker particularly attractive.

But as she got older, she says, she found the sheer variety of the series and all of the spin-off books kept her hooked.

Not surprisingly, she's been looking forward for years to the sixth and final film, "Star Wars: Episode III - The Revenge of the Sith." It premieres tonight at 12:01 a.m.

Pritchard is Dalton chapter representative of FanForce, the "Star Wars" fan club.

The club is relatively new, and tonight's premiere will be sort of a coming out party. Members will be there dressed as characters from the film. Pritchard will be dressed as a Jedi.

Isaac Plemons, another FanForce member, says he'll be there, too, but he won't be in costume.

Plemons, now 16, saw the first "Star Wars" film when he was 9. By then, creator George Lucas had retitled it "Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope," and it was the first in what was then a trilogy of films.

"I wasn't a big fan immediately, but after watching the two films that came after it, I became one," Plemons said.

The action, characters and stories hold up on repeated viewing, he says, noting that he has seen each film countless times.

"There's a lot of interest out there," said A.J. Kocher, manager of The Fantasy Factory comics store in Dalton.

Tickets go on sale at the Carmike Cinemas 9 at 6 p.m. today, but theaters in Chattanooga have had tickets on advance sale, and Kocher says many of his customers tell him they've already bought tickets for the premiere.

"I'm not quite in that big of a hurry to see it. But I will see it soon," he added.

Dana Hayes, manager of the Carmike Cinemas, says interest in "Star War" extends well beyond the traditional science fiction fan.

"I'd say over 90 percent of the calls we've gotten over the last few weeks have been about 'Star Wars' - asking when will it start, what times will it play," she said.

She says she expects a big crowd tonight, even with the late starting time.

"A lot of theaters have already sold out, so we'll probably have people coming here from around the area, not just Dalton, trying to see it on the first night," she said.

Critics and even many fans didn't care that much for the last two "Star Wars" films: "The Phantom Menace" and "Attack of the Clones."

They charged the plots were weak, the comedy relief wasn't funny and some of the actors gave poor performances.

But that doesn't seem to have poisoned the well too much for what creator George Lucas has said will be the final film in the series.

"Most people seem to think this will redeem the series," Kocher said.

The early reviews have been almost uniformly positive. The New York Times, for instance, has called "Revenge of the Sith" the best

4. Sage_Halcyon

Mar 3, 2002
    [face_laugh]

Oh, I was sure the story was moved from your link, but I just HAD to give you a hard time because what it linked to was EXTREMELY funny considering you stated that it was your FanForce in the news...

:)

Congrats for getting in the news. Everytime that happens to me it's nothing good...

:p

Sage "Hotshot" H.

5. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
    Force help us all. I can only imagine why a Halcyon would be in the news. [face_plain]

6. Sage_Halcyon

Mar 3, 2002
    Haha... Well, it certainly wasn't because we telekinetically moved any objects around...

/bad EU joke

And don't ever forget, the guy who created the Halcyon's also wrote the marriage of Luke and Mara...

;)

Sage H.

7. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
    Or because you told astonishingly good jokes. :p

8. Sage_Halcyon

Mar 3, 2002
    Ah...

She loves me...

[face_love]

Sage H.

9. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
    I'll admit it. Your wit and charm make me swoon, Mr. Pop Culture. *swoons* [face_plain]

10. Sage_Halcyon

Mar 3, 2002
    You've been reading my bio. That scares me.

Sage H.

11. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
    It should. And really, the bio amuses me. ;)

12. Sage_Halcyon

Mar 3, 2002
    Why thank you. Always glad to bring a smile to your face. Even if it is at my expense.

:)

Sage H.

13. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.