main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Damn fine cup of coffee..."

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Get_in_Gear, Jan 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Get_in_Gear

Get_in_Gear Jedi Youngling star 5

Nov 29, 2004
    For discussion of, primarily, Twin Peaks and the work of David Lynch in general...

I fell in love with Twin Peaks when it was first aired over here in the UK (which I presume was shortly after it aired in the US).
    And it still ranks up there as one of my favourite TV series ever.
    There's so much to like - Agent Cooper, Sherylin Fenn, The Black Lodge... erm... Sherylin Fenn...
    It all gives me a warm feeling of nostalgia, it is so very of it's time, yet unique enough to be timeless.

I'm a fan of Lynch and his work in general - The Straight Story, Mullholland Drive, Blue Velvet, The Elephant Man - hell, I even have a soft spot for Dune.
    It's safe to say he has always had a "fantasy" slant to all of his movies.

And what about the fact that he was touted as an option to direct Return of the Jedi, but was already committed to Dune?
    I often wonder what his version of Jedi would have been like...

2. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    sorry to see there are no twin peaks fans here, gig. :(

maybe it's the thread's title? too subtle preps?

can't say i'm a huge fan but i think maybe upping this helps.

3. Get_in_Gear

Get_in_Gear Jedi Youngling star 5

Nov 29, 2004
    I figured if they didn't get the title, then they aren't fans... or something like that.
    I know what you mean though.

Thanks, that's a nice gesture...

:)

4. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I love the twistedness of Twin Peaks. You just never knew where the hell that show was going.

Dune... the original was and is still one of my all-time favorite movies. The cast was one of the best gathered for a film.

5. Darth_Pazuzu

Darth_Pazuzu Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2005
    I'm a particularly big fan of Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive, myself.
    I must say, however, as appealing as Lost Highway is in terms of its sheer weirdness, its plot still ties my head up in knots. I never quite know what's real and what isn't.
    And what exactly does it mean when we see all four police officers at the very end of the movie? ("There's no such thing as a bad coincidence!")
    Who's real? Bill Pullman or Balthazar Getty?

6. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    no no no no no

TwinPeaks wasn't clever, or intricate or full of twists. TwinPeak flat out made absolutely no sense what so ever.

It started off well, but the writers wrote themselves into a corner and were forced to write completely bizarre plot lines to keep the story going.

It got to a poing that things were so messed up that no-one knew what was going on, but people kept watched hoping to get an explanation.

It never came.

I'm going on record now saying that Lost will go the same way.

[face_plain]

edit

oh, had anyone seen the Sesame Street Twin Peaks parody ? They did a take off of Twin peaks on sesame street, and it was brilliant. I might be the only person in the world to have seen it and remembered it. It wasn't Twin Peaks - it was birds with two beaks ie Twin Beaks

7. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    The thing to help understand both Lost Highway, and Twin Peaks & Fire Walk With Me, is that both are gigantic time loops [face_thinking]

8. Aged-Master-Genghis

Aged-Master-Genghis Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 10, 2000
    The owls are not what they seem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.