main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy Star Wars Movie - NOT FILMING April 7th, 2024 (Blame Fredrik!)

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by chris hayes, Oct 25, 2022.

1. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    The sad thing is that when/if this film officially gets announced by Lucasfilm next month, it being cancelled within the year will be at the front of our minds. I won't be able to get excited for it.

2. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    I know it's easy to focus on the negative, but the latest update is that a new writer is on the project. The project is still alive and being developed.

Sometimes adding new writers to projects isn't a good thing, but also many films are developed this way, and it doesn't always mean bad.

3. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Sadly, I cannot disagree with his points. Also, I like that he's milk toast. I'll take that over reactionary hysteria and hyperbole any day.

He wasn't even on set or in the same country most times. That film is very different from his style, and it's obviously someone else directing.
    Campea mentions that exact thing.

4. Christopher Blair

Christopher Blair Jedi Master star 4

Dec 23, 2015
    Yeah im using milk toast with affection. He hates saying anything negative usually. He gave kathleen a million flowers and props b4 saying she needs to be fired lol.

5. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Yes, which is why I can respect his take. And, like I said, it's hard to debate his points.

Intergalactic Lawman and 2Cleva like this.
  6. Christopher Blair

Christopher Blair Jedi Master star 4

Dec 23, 2015
    To me there really is no debate, star wars went from a blockbuster movie printing money IP, to a popular Ip that just lives in television now. I like the shows, but miss the movies immensly.

Intergalactic Lawman likes this.
  7. AvarandElzarsittininatree

AvarandElzarsittininatree Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2021
    I won't argue either that perhaps running a franchise isn't KK's strong suit. I have just started to question if Campea really knows anything about all this KK leaving Lucasfilm stuff. To me it almost just seems like he is throwing darts at the wall.

8. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Hard to say. She's been there almost 11 years, and is already at retirement age, so she may want to step down. Or maybe there are real issues, and Disney wants to replace her. I'm simply agreeing with his assessment of the problems that have been repeating during the last several years. Eventually, with this many swings and misses, you have to start looking at the leadership. As they say, the buck stops here.

9. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Considering Lindelof was credited as the original creator of this project, I doubt keeping the director means much.

10. The Chalk Jedi

Nov 8, 2019
    They might simply just build off of whatever he started, who knows.

There's no doubt film development at LFL is having some issues, but we don't know if this one is done yet.

2Cleva likes this.
  11. AvarandElzarsittininatree

AvarandElzarsittininatree Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2021
    We'll see. Campea specifically said that the announcement of her stepping down/leaving would come around the time of the Indiana Jones release. If that comes and goes and Kennedy is still there I don't think any of us should pay an ounce of attention to people like Campea (who's main goal is just trying to bring attention to their YouTube channel).

Eventually Kennedy will leave but I have doubts that any of these people encompassing social media spaces knows when that will be.

12. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    Kennedy won't leave until there are no more big-name directors to file through the revolving door. We still need unofficial announcements and cancellations for Quentin Tarantino's Star Wars movie, Sophia Coppola, Guillermo Del Toro, Ryan Coogler, etc. She will be LFL president for another 10 years, easy. :cool:

13. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    It really is impossible to know the state of this project. Maybe it’s a dogs breakfast, maybe they’ve already got a solid framework laid out and they’re trying to get the script polished. None of us know, but we can hope for the best.

The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  14. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Successful film franchises are built on hope.

Bor Mullet, EHT and DarthPhilosopher like this.
  15. Othini

Othini Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    He really did not. It was ROTJ he ghost directed. If you do not see the difference in the directing style of ESB compared to ROTJ, then you should go back and watch the OT again.

16. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    No he doesn’t. I’ve listened to the audio commentary for each film probably a hundred times. He says that the films had become more executive producer-led like a television show instead of director-led like most films but he never says he ghost directed ESB. As Pro said he wasn’t even on set most of the time and the film is very much a Kershner film.

17. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I really don’t mean to be pedantic, and I am deeply sorry for this, but milk toast is food, not a figure of speech. It is milquetoast. That is the word you are looking for.

18. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Correct, I just didn't want to get into it either.

19. The Chalk Jedi

Nov 8, 2019
    It is pedantic because milquetoast just means milk toast. Christ, people.

It's much more egregious to not know who directed ESB.

20. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Also correct, but I still don't want to get into it. :)

The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  21. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    You people are sucking all the joy out of this thread.

22. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    They're absorbent milqueloaves.

23. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    The issue here is that this isn’t a one off… writers and directors walking away from Star Wars has become the absolute norm. And regardless of what actually makes them walk, that they have such a high turnover speaks to a broken or inadequate strategy/production model. By all accounts the script was submitted and shortly afterwards Lindelof walked. That to me strongly suggests that he received notes from Lucasfilm, and given he walked, he must have been diametrically opposed to them and unwilling to acquiesce. Without doubt, “something is rotten in the state of Lucasfilm”.

24. Intergalactic Lawman

Intergalactic Lawman Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 26, 2020
    I actually really like Campea... I especially like Rob's take on most franchise's. I always find his opinion insightful.

25. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I don't have any particular issue with Campea. He seems legitimately interested in discussion, and is fairly even handed in his attitude. That's a lot better than many.

2Cleva likes this.