main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Danni's Quest (Jacen/Tenel Ka, Danni Quee) Completed 11/19

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by SiouxFan, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Nice to see you again SiouxFan. Are you going to write any more stories?

SiouxFan likes this.
  2. SiouxFan

SiouxFan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 6, 2012
    Jedi_Lover
    Thanks JL! Sorry, I can't get the 'reply' function to work on my computer, so I tagged you instead. As a matter of fact, I'm working on one now! I've learned from 'Quest' and am not going to post until I finish...which will hopefully be by the holidays. I've got a couple of scenes to write (which, as you know, can get rather long) and some final editing to do!

Jedi_Lover and Kahara like this.
  3. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Just re-read this, I am surprised it seems that I never commented on it before.

In short, wonderful! There was and is a shortage of jacen solo redemption fics. I like all the heart to heart conversations, reflections on the jedi's mistakes and the problems within galactic society and the various level headed ways people in this story attempt to solve them.

A few points

I very much liked Danni's near instantaneous vision of jacen's future death-I am curious where did you get the dates? But anyway that was an interesting use of a force vision.
    I loved the Jacen/Tenel Ka scenes and chapters-there was always something between them since when they were teenagers.
    I also loved the Jacen/Danni chapters and scenes-I always figured that if for whatever reason jacen didn't end up with tenel ka he would have ended up with Danni.
    Loved the expansion of Hapan politics and security services-regarding their nobility-it seems very much to be a society based around palatial intrigue and holding the throne as it were-its good to see them reforming and not remaining a bunch of bloodthirsty scheming isolationist nobles.
    Loved the Danni and Home chapter and the conversations with Nelani and Darth Vectivus. Very well done.

A few criticisms/quibbles

Luke and Mara fade into the background somewhat-I really wanted to see at least how they reacted to jacen admitting he was a sith among other points in the story. I know you didn't want it to become too long but reading their reactions if only from a distance would have been nice.
    I felt Ben was dropped a little too quickly and I would have liked to have seen some interaction between him and Danni.

Another question/reflection-assuming the lost tribe remain stranded on Kesh and Abeloth imprisoned-whatever happened to Krayt and his one sith? Surely Krayt would have reacted to not having his "lightning rod". Also unless I forgot it whatever happened to Alema Rar?

Though those are minor quibbles and all in all I really do love this story.

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  4. SiouxFan

Mar 6, 2012
    Firstly, thanks for reading! Is it wrong to admit that I'm glad that it still has a bit of staying power? I hope not. I'm going to answer your reply in stages, just for ease of reading...
    That's actually the reason I decided to write this...there were a lot of J/TK stories from before Swarm War started to be published, but after that almost all of the Jacen stories had him turn awful. MY Jacen (and I held out hope that others felt like me) would never have gone down the Denning path. It was and is too inconsistent with what he was as a character. There are plenty of in-universe problems to try to solve, and it gave me a great way of exploring a different political story.
    I'm not going to lie, I totally made the dates up. I got his birth and death years from the Wook, and just invented the rest. At the time, I couldn't find any in-universe names for months, so I went with earth dates.

When I started, I really had intended this to turn in to a Danni/Jacen story, but the muse took me another direction. But, as I said elsewhere in the replies here...I could NEVER understand why other people didn't see Tenel Ka/Jacen the same way I did! They have this great 'slow-burn' romantic chemistry that was evident even in YJK.

Hapes HAS to be more than just intrigue and back-biting...societies simply breakdown when it becomes 'every woman for herself'. The nobles can scheme, but they also have to be competent civil servants, and that's what I was trying to portray.

I had to address Nelani...I didn't think I could shy away from what he had done. Besides, she was fun to write.
    My problem was this: this story was written mainly from three points-of-view: Jacen, Tenel Ka, and Danni. In my opinion, Luke and the Jedi Council gave up on all three of them sometime during the Swarm War. Would they really care what Luke and Mara thought of Jacen's Sith misadventure? No. Would Jacen's admission cause Luke or Mara to trust him more? Again, no. In my 'mental' backstory, Luke and Mara did some soul-searching of their own to try and improve their methods so that another of their students didn't fall off the rails...but I didn't include it because I didn't think it important enough to my three protagonists.

I didn't really know how to work Ben in, to be totally honest. His parents weren't wild about him hanging around with Jacen in profic, so in my story, once Jacen 'dumps' him, I don't think Mara or Luke would have let him meet with Jacen at all. More-so after they find out Jacen was Lumiya's apprentice.

I didn't know enough about Krayt and the OneSith to include in this story. In all honesty, I still think the OneSith storyline to be a tad lame...a whole planet of Sith? Who have gone unnoticed for who knows how long? And were completely ignored by the Vong? The Vong overran almost the entire galaxy, and the Sith escaped notice? I don't buy it.

Thanks again for reading! Feel free to discuss my replies!

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  5. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    I think your getting the lost tribe confused with Krayt's order.

Krayt escaped Vong activity "on the eve of the invasion" and the one Sith were formed on Korriban sometime between 30 ABY and and 35 ABY(though likely earlier perhaps even in the last years of the war)

And Korriban IIRC wasn't in the Vong's invasion path, also the one Sith numbered around 30 or so at the time of LOTF. They weren't worth noticing until they showed up about 80 years later in legacy. Except for Krayt battling Abeloth which can be chalked up to him wanting to prevent a greater threat.

The lost tribe were stranded and has evolved into their own society-which was rather soft by Sith standards-they ended up stranded 5000 or so years BBY-IIRC at the end of the great hyperspace war. So they were descedants of the ancient Sith. And not all Keshiri are Sith either.

Anyway that's that's the distinction. But I understand if you didn't want to include the One Sith.

Also whatever happened to Alema?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Just reread the story. Amazing. Bravo.

Kahara likes this.
  7. SiouxFan

Mar 6, 2012
    Thank you!! :)

It's been over a decade since I started writing this, and it is probably wa-ay over due for some editing, but I am cheered by the thought that you still think enough of Jacen, Tenel Ka, Allana, and Danni to read it again! I don't know about you, but I'm still reading pretty much every story I can find with any of them...which clearly means I am in need of a life.

Kahara likes this.