main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Daria] In the Background

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by fardell24, Dec 2, 2021.

1. fardell24

fardell24 Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 31, 2020
    Note: a response to a challenge in which Daria Doesn't Need Glasses

Daria in the Background
    1. Esteem?
    Daria Morgendorffer just wanted to be left alone. As she had grown up she had found she was different to the other children, and to her sister Quinn. She was more intelligent and not as outgoing as others. Over the years she had found ways to blend into the background so others would not notice her. It didn't always work. Teachers always noted how good her work was, even if her writing was unusual for a child her age. Then there was that dumb duo in Highland who hung around her sometimes.
    Things were to change when the Morgendorffers moved to Lawndale, a middle-class small city in northern Maryland. The description of the town made it seem perfect for someone who wanted to complete their High School education without drawing too much attention, but she didn't know that her efforts would be to no avail.

1111 Glen Oaks Lane, Lawndale; September 15, 1997 7:30 AM
    Having finished cleaning her teeth, Daria looked over herself in the mirror. She wanted to be sure that her impression of an average teenager was infallible. That no one other than the people she wanted to notice her would look twice at her. Mousy auburn hair tied back in a high ponytail. 'Check,' she thought as she looked at herself sideways. Tied back so, the hair fell to just below her shoulder blades. There was some length to it, but it was still shorter than Quinn's. She then looked lower. Face washed.
    Check. Understated clear lip gloss. Check. Understated light green dress. Check. She was about as different from Quinn as she could be. And right on cue, there was knocking on the door. She then went to open it, allowing Quinn in. "There you go."

"Gosh, Daria, you're going like that?" Quinn asked.

"At least I'm not dressed in pink," Daria shot back as she left the bathroom.

"Ha!" Quinn said as she slammed the door.

Lawndale High; 8:30 AM
    Arriving at Lawndale High, Quinn drew all the attention, with a girl in pigtails asking her name.
    "Quinn Morgendorffer," she answered. She didn't understand why Daria didn't want any attention.

"Cool Name," another girl with lustrous brown hair said. Quinn wondered what products she used to gain that effect.

She glanced at Daria walking slowly towards the school without drawing attention. 'That's what she does best,' she thought. She then heard a boy ask her out. 'A bit quick,' she thought.
    "…As you can see, our Lawndale High students take great pride in their school," the Principal said as she finished the tour. "That's why we'll be taking a small psychological exam to stop any little clouds on the horizon as you sail the student seas of Lawndale High."

'SOS girl overboard,' Daria thought. 'Why does there need to be a psychological test! I just want to get to class!'

"Nobody told me about any test!" Quinn objected.

'You're automatically exempt!' Daria thought. As much as she wanted to say it, she knew it would draw attention.

"That's why it's a surprise test," the Principal said.

Quinn scowled.

"Now, Quinn," the School counsellor, Mrs. Manson said. "What do you see here?"

It was obvious what it was. "It's a picture of two people talking."

"That's right. Can you make up a little story about what it is they're discussing?"

"Oh. Okay, then. Let's see... they've been going out for awhile, and he's upset because other people keep asking her out, and she saying she can't help it if she's attractive and popular, and besides, nobody ever said they were going steady, and if he does want to go steady he's got to do a lot better than movie, burger, back seat, movie, burger, back seat, because there are plenty of guys with bigger back seats waiting to take her someplace nice!"

"Very good, Quinn!" Mrs. Manson said. She then turned her attention to her sister. Quinn wasn't sure why she was testing the two of them together. "Now, Dora, let's see if you can tell a story as vivid as your sisters?"

"Do I have to?" Daria asked with annoyance.

"Yes!" Mrs. Manson said.

"Alright then. It's a guy and a girl, and they are discussing how their daughter doesn't seem to want to do anything other than study and that she needs friends. They disagree on what to do about it."

"That's interesting." Manson said. "But good."

The first lesson Daria went to was History. "Class, we have a new student joining us today. Please welcome Daria Morgendorffer," Mr. Anthony DeMartino said. "Daria, raise your hand please."
    Daria raised her hand. Reluctantly, DeMartino noted. 'Time to test her!' he thought. "Well, Daria! As long as you have your hand raised…" he gave an evil chuckle. "Last week we began a unit on westward expansion. Perhaps you feel it's unfair to be asked a question on your first day of class."

Daria gave a sigh. Perhaps she just wanted to slip in amongst the existing students unnoticed. Other teachers would oblige her. But not Anthony DeMartino, who despite his better judgement tried to reach the unreachable. "Daria, can you concisely and unemotionally sum up for us the doctrine of Manifest Destiny."

"A slogan used in the 1840s, to promote the ideal for the US to reach all the way to the Pacific Ocean," Daria murmured.

"Very good, Daria." DeMartino then steeled himself for his usual battle against Kevin Thompson's dim wits.

1111 Glen Oaks Lane; 7:34 PM
    The Morgendorffers were having their dinner late, as Helen had stayed late at work, hoping to impress upon the Partners that she was a hard worker.

"…Then they asked me to join the pep squad. They said I didn't have to try out, but I said, "Look, I'm new here. Give me a chance to get used to things." So, for now, I'm vice president of the Fashion Club, and that's it," Quinn said.

"Sounds like a like a well-thought out decision, honey," Jake said.

"As long as you can join pep squad later, if you want. Never know how much we can handle till we try, though," Helen added.

"What about you, Daria? How was your first day?"

Daria sighed. "Well, my history teacher called on me as soon as I entered the class, but there are some interesting idiots in it."

"That's great!" Jake said.

'What?' Helen thought. 'Jake!'

"I mean…" Jake began as he tried to correct what he just said.

Helen interrupted. "Daria, your father's trying to tell you not to judge people until you know them. You're in a brand-new school in a brand-new town. You don't want it to be Highland all over again."

"Not much chance of that happening... unless there's uranium in the drinking water here, too."

"I'm talking about you making a friend or two. Don't be so critical. Give people the benefit of the doubt."

"You're saying that It all boils down to trust?" Daria asked.

"Exactly. It all boils down to trust. Show a little trust."

Daria looked thoughtful.

'She needs to understand that being in that shell doesn't help her,' Helen thought. The dinner continued without incident.

pronker likes this.
  2. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Excellent show of sisterly teasing and then support against outsiders - I liked the set up of the school's characters.

3. fardell24

Aug 31, 2020
    2. Party Part 1
    Lawndale High School; October 1, 10:23 AM
    Art Class was interesting. Daria knew she didn't have any real talent in the subject. She knew that her strengths lay elsewhere. However, even she could do basic things like perspective. "Perspective is hard," came a high-pitched voice to her left.

Daria sighed. She saw the Art teacher approaching.

"Good work, Daria. Your cube is bursting out of the picture plane. You've really created the illusion of depth," Ms. Defoe said.

"Thanks," Daria murmured.

"Ms. Defoe?" came the high-pitched voice again. "I need a new pencil. I used up the eraser."

"Here, Brittany, take another pencil and a fresh piece of paper, and try again," the exasperated teacher said.

"If I don't figure this perspective thing out, I'll have to take remedial art."

"It'll probably be a good thing," Daria considered out loud.

Brittany shook her head. "I don't think so. Hey, you're smart. Show me how to do this?"

"Isn't there someone else you can ask?" Daria asked in an annoyed tone.

"Umm, No!"

Daria quickly showed Brittany by drawing lines converging at a point and using the example of Cashman's having a sale. Brittany got it but she was still confused. "Is Cashman's really having a one day sale?"

"I don't know," Daria answered.

At lunch, Brittany came up to Daria again. "Thanks for helping me out in art."

"No problem," Daria responded.

"Maybe I can help you out with something."

Daria shook her head. "No. I don't need help," she said. 'Unless it's how to twirl my hair around a finger while looking vacant,' she thought. She brushed her hand through the bottom of her ponytail, but resisted the urge to twirl it as Brittany was doing with one of her pigtails. 'It's probably how she gets them to curl like that.'

"You seem rather lonely," Brittany said. "I'm having a party Saturday night. I'd like you to come."

"Is that an invitation?" Daria asked, the nervousness showing in her voice. 'Oops!' she chided herself. 'I'm not lonely!'

"Yes," the cheerleader answered.

"Parties are not my thing."

"You did a favor for me. This is my favor for you," Brittany said.

"I'll think about it. I'll get back to you by Friday."

That evening as Daria left her room before dinner, she overheard Quinn chattering on in her room.

"Sheer, semi-sheer or opaque… Textured!"

"Isn't one of you enough?" Daria quipped.

"Go away! I'm concentrating. I'm invited to party Saturday night and I have to choose the perfect outfit."

Daria entered the room. "Countdown: only 72 more hours to go. Might this party be at Brittany's house?"

"Yes," Quinn answered. "And might you go away now. How do you know about it?"

"I'm invited, too. But I haven't decided if I'll go."

Quinn was aghast! "But you can't go! You'll ruin everything!"

Daria smirked. "But I need to broaden my social horizons," she added, with an imitation of their mother's voice.

Quinn gave out a noise of frustration and ran out of the room. "Mom! Dad! Daria is ruining my life again!"

Helen was glad her older daughter was going to go a party. "Now, Quinn, don't begrudge your sister an opportunity to gain a friend."

"I doubt a friendship with Brittany would last," Quinn groused.

"Touché, Quinn."

Quinn was still annoyed. "You should ground her, because, her room is a mess!"

Two could play that game. "If I go down for that one, I'm taking you with me."

If only they could get along. "I think it's great that you are going to be spending time together. Dad and I would be happy to drive you to the party and pick you up!"

"No!" both daughters said simultaneously.

"Thanks, but I'll find some other way to get there," Quinn said as she left the kitchen.

Daria watched Quinn leave. She wasn't sure why she was going to the party. Was it just to annoy Quinn? 'I can still find some out of the way place to watch what ever goes on, including what Quinn may get up to,' she thought.

"Daria, I'd like it if you would look after Quinn at this party."

Daria sighed. "I don't know what I did, but it couldn't have been that bad."

"I mean it. And she doesn't have to know about it."

"Is this your way of saying how much more mature and trustworthy I am?"

4. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Daria's reaching out, despite herself, ha! ;)

5. fardell24

Aug 31, 2020
    2. Party Part 2
    Crew Neck, October 4th, 7:32 PM
    Daria walked towards Brittany's mansion. She had already seen several of her fellow students as she had walked through the gated estate. She still wasn't sure why it was that she had decided to come. It certainly wasn't to keep an eye on Quinn. 'They won't notice one girl who is trying to blend into the background,' she thought as she came to the Taylors' property line.

No one was waiting at the door when she arrived. She could hear the music. It seemed Brittany was a fan of the Backstreet Boys. She walked in and looked around. She quickly found Quinn talking to three boys nearby.

"So, I said, just because people are cliquey and snotty is no reason not to like them."

She didn't hear what the boys murmured, as she walked further into the party. 'They will quickly find that I'm a clique of one.'

She quickly found the snack table. "Wow, two kinds of chips," she said to herself. "Flat or ridgy?"

She grabbed a couple of the flat ones and ate them. A boy with red hair and a lecherous grin approached. 'Uh oh!'

"Chuck Ruttheimer here, and you are."

"Nobody," Daria shot back as she made herself scarce.

Chuck watched the new girl disappear around a corner. He knew perfectly well who it was. 'I'll catch up with you later,' he thought.

Daria looked for a place to be alone for a few minutes. That Chuck was creepy. 'I hope there aren't too many like him at school!' She soon found an isolated spot near the laundry room. But she could hear noises coming out from there. It seemed it was being used as a makeout spot. 'I don't want to be here either,' she decided. She made herself scarce.

Brittany wondered where Daria was. She was sure she had seen her in the distance earlier. 'She isn't hiding, is she?' She decided to ask someone to look for her. (But certainly not Kevin!) She saw Jodie Landon and 'Mack' Mackenzie. Jodie would know where she is! She went up to her. "Jodie?" she asked, as she twirled a pigtail, have you seen Daria Morgendorffer?"

"Who?" Jodie asked.

"One of the new girls," Brittany answered. "I invited her tonight."

"The shy one who dresses in green?" Mack asked.

"Yes," Brittany answered.

"I know now," Jodie admitted. "But I haven't seen her."

"Oh!" Brittany exclaimed. 'Maybe she hasn't come.'

"I think I saw her," Mack added. "Running away from Upchuck."

"Oh no!" Upchuck was certain to frighten her away. 'Maybe I should have asked someone else to dissect that frog!'

Daria was uncomfortable. Everywhere she looked, there were people. 'But I still need to watch Quinn.' But her sister wasn't one of the people she could see. She sighed and continued to look for a vacant spot.

Brittany wanted to find Daria and see how she was doing, but Kevin was getting the chips mixed up again. "Kevy!"

"What?"

"Stop mixing the chips up!"

"Sorry, Babe!"

"Now, have you seen Daria?"

"Who?"

"Never mind."

Daria retreated into a corner. She needed a few moments to herself. She breathed deep calming breaths. It did help, but not by much.

6. fardell24

Aug 31, 2020
    Party Part 3
    After distracting Kevin from the chips, Brittany again looked for Daria. She soon found her in a corner. 'Of course!' She went over to her. "Daria?"

Daria started. "Eap!"

'Oops!' Brittany thought. She didn't think Daria would easily be frightened. "Sorry!"

"Oh, Brittany," Daria said with her hand over her heart. I thought it might have been that Chuck!"

"You mean, Upchuck?"

"How apt! Yes!"

"Sorry that you had to encounter him here!" Brittany said.

"It wasn't your fault."

"Actually…" Brittany said awkwardly.

"What?" Daria interrupted.

"He did me a favor too," Brittany admitted.

"So, you invited him," Daria concluded. She could see why Brittany was apologetic.

Brittany nodded.

"I think I have had enough," Daria said. She leaned against the wall and slid down to a sitting position.

"You want to leave?"

"Yes," Daria said. "Could you make sure Quinn doesn't cause trouble?"

"Maybe," Brittany answered. "But how are you going to get home?"

"I'm not sure."

"Some of the others have older brothers or sisters. They could help."

"That would be good," Daria said. "But be quick."

"Of course."

Brittany found Mack and Jodie again. "You found Daria?" Jodie asked.

"Yes," Brittany answered. "But she's had enough and wants to go home."

"I see," Mack said, "So you want me to call my sister?"

"Yes," Brittany answered.

Daria only had to wait a for a short time before Brittany and Mack came over. "My sister should be here shortly. She can take you home," Mack said.

"Thanks Mack," Daria said quietly. "Thanks for the invitation, Brittany," she reluctantly added. She could see that the cheerleader was trying to be nice. 'Quinn will be fine.'

It didn't take too long for Mack's sister to arrive. "Robbie Mackenzie," she said by way of introduction. "You must be Daria."

"Yes," Daria said as she looked at Robbie. She had a similar style as Jodie except that her hair was only half as long. She was also slightly taller than her brother.

"You want to go straight home?" Robbie asked.

"I could stop by Cluster Burger, I suppose."

"Sure."

Robbie looked at Daria as she drove along Glen Oaks Lane. She had hadn't really been talkative, and had barely engaged her in conversation since they left the party. She could see why she wanted out of that party. "Are you OK now?" she asked.

"I'm fine. I've calmed down," Daria answered. "It's that red one."

"1111?"

"Yes."

She pulled up in front of the large two-story house. "Here we are. I'll see if Quinn wants to come with when I pick up Mike."

"Thanks."

All things considered it was a good night, Quinn considered as she arrived at the gatehouse with Mack and Jodie. She took off her soggy suede shoes. Mack's sister soon arrived. It wasn't surprising to her that Daria had gone home early. "Hi, Robbie," she said, Mack having told her her name earlier.

"Going straight home?" Robbie asked.

"Yes," Quinn said.

"Cool."

'I have a great future in Lawndale,' Quinn thought as they drove away.