main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Dark City (Director's Cut out 7/29!) Sleep...now.

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by HL&S , Jan 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ceridwen1977

ceridwen1977 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2005
    Dark City is also one of my favourite ever films and I am glad to see that there are others who think it is under-rated! I just love the whole concept and the gloomy, 1940s feel to the whole thing especially when the buildings morph at night... it's interesting in terms of identity as well and how we can kind of "breakdown" because we don't know who we are and we cannot even rely on our own memories.

2. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    A Special Edition dvd of this movie would be most welcomed.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Mystery Clock link

Alex Proyas"DC was hardly a smash hit at the box office so it is unlikely, if a sequel was made, they'd give me a huge budget to work with. So don't worry too much about that! I am more and more interested in the idea of a sequel, and who knows, after the special edition comes out, with everyone's support behind it, a sequel...maybe who knows...but I've already said too much."

Dark City was a masterpiece and one of my favorite films of all time, and so the idea of a sequel both greatly excites me and also makes me wary that it won't live up to, and thus diminish, the original.

I also wonder where they could go, storywise, given the ending of the original film. A prequel? Sequel without the Strangers? (or, for that matter, an actual dark city).

4. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    Sounds like hes got a story already, and is pitching it - if nothing else. The psychological concepts in Dark City were way ahead of their time and really still are. The Matrix, The Thirteenth Floor, Pleseantville, and The Truman Show were kinda in the same ball parks coceptually with the idea of simulated reality but with no where near the nuance or polish or even ( especially, I should say , if highy intellectual sci-fi is what gets you going ) the element of fantastik as Dark City. Its on the Encore Action channel right now, too. This is really a diamond in the fringe, of course because it was never intended for the fringe, being that you could make a serious argument that all around ( well written, well acted, great idea, beatifully filmed, hauntingly scored ) its top five in the ninties - which is to say that its in the realm of reason that its an all time great, by any standard.

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Holy crap- after all this time, it's finally coming out! The Dark City Director's Cut comes out July 29th!

[face_dancing] [face_dancing] [face_dancing]

[image=http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51NE%2BxsK2oL._SS500_.jpg]

Been waiting for this for almost a decade. Can't wait!

6. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Already pre-ordered the Blu-Ray. Looking forward to this one.

When I was at Ebertfest, like, three years ago, Roger brought up the subject of Dark City (he'd screened it at the festival a few years beforehand), and he mentioned that he'd already recorded a new audio commentary track for Proyas's director's cut. Considering that his original DVD track is one that I still listen to to this day, that's a mighty tall hill to climb.

Wonder why it took them so long to put this out? I was almost starting to think that it was a recurrence of what happened to Proyas's The Crow special edition DVD several years back. Guess not.

If it's simply the removal of the opening voiceover, then that's awesome all by itself. But I've always felt like the theatrical version of this film is slightly over-edited. Very, very short cuts, especially in the opening 30 minutes. If this cut gives scenes more room to breathe (and extra Colin Friels), then bring it.

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I wasn't too worried about this since we'd had hints that they were at least making progress on releasing it. Unlike, say, the fabled director's cut of Event Horizon which has been rumored for DVD release even longer than the DC:DC but seems to be just Anderson saying "i want to do one" as opposed to "we are presently working on one".

It's why I've never picked up EH on DVD- I made a resolution not to buy it until the extended special edition is released. [face_not_talking] On the bright side, by time it actually comes out, I might actually own a TV large enough to make that one opening shot as awesomely dizzying as it was in theaters.

8. The_Smirking_Revenge

The_Smirking_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 2, 2008
    "Yeah, but like I said, it sucks that's he's mainly been stuck in bad villian roles (Bless the Child, A Knight's Tale, The Mask of Zorro)."

I'd say it sucks more that he's been stuck in Bad Roles period. He's a fine actor, yet he's either got poor taste in roles or his agent does. Those flicks are just bad. I think the last thing I saw him in that was any good was the Illusionist.

Dark City is a good movie, it's dark and haunting, very film noir. I always loved Proyas' early work, The Crow is one of my favorite flicks. The man just knows how to go dark. Apparently he's doing the Silver Surfer flick... Should be interesting.

I do not see the Matrix as anything even resembling a rip-off of Dark City, no more so than it's a rip-off of Star Wars...

-T_S_R

9. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    Finally I can own this movie and just in time for my b-day.

10. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Dark City is a well crafted and intriguing SciFi movie disguised as film noir.
    Matrix is a moronic hong-kong wire-fu action flick disguised as SciFi.

Not that I'm biased or anything. No.

If you liked Ian Richardson in this, check him out in the House of Cards series.

11. The_Smirking_Revenge

The_Smirking_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 2, 2008
    "Dark City is a well crafted and intriguing SciFi movie disguised as film noir.
    Matrix is a moronic hong-kong wire-fu action flick disguised as SciFi.

Not that I'm biased or anything. No."

Good lord man, why on Earth would anyone think that?

-T_S_R

12. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I love Dark City. It is one of the best Sci-Fi films ever, on the level of 2001 and Star Wars IMO

13. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    What, just because I'm biased doesn't mean I'm wrong. ;)

14. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I agree with Koohii on this issue.

15. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    You used some of Dark City's music for Ryan vs. Dorkman, if memory serves :-B

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The music was great- I loved that the soundtrack had the trailer music on it too.

First time I recall music from DC being reused was for one of the trailers for X-Men.

And you're right- Ryan vs Dorkman did use it too.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  18. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    thanks for the clips.

I only saw the original movie by accident, but remember enjoying it a great deal. Will have to put back on my netflix queue again...

19. raisedbywolves

raisedbywolves Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 1, 2005
    Nice. I've seen all but the last 20 minutes of this movie and haven't gotten around to renting it again [face_frustrated] I'll have to try and get the director's cut now!

20. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Hope it's better than the Donnie Darko Director's Cut, which I saw last night & thought was horrible.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I watched through this on tuesday- it's not radically different but there are few noticable extensions and added subplots.

-The narration is removed, as expected. Also a sequence of the city falling asleep has been pushed back later in the film.

-There is a subplot consisting of a few shots during Bumstead's investigation that reveal's John's fingerprint is the swirling design carved into the dead hookers and drawn on walls. As John awakens at the end amongst all The Strangers, there's a new Stranger with an examination eyepiece who notices this fingerprint and confirms he has evolved as suggested. (Sadly, one of my favorite lines from Keifer's character ("- but I've got ther plans.") has been removed as well).

-Shots have been added back in that show the hooker John visits and whom Mr. Hand kills later, has a daughter who witnesses the murder and is later found by Emma and Bumstead.

-Some extended dialogue between Mr Hand and Emma at the water's edge bench, which explores why he did what he did- wanting experiences of his own not shared by his whole race as it always had.

-They've apparently restored Jennifer's actual vocals when she sings.

-Added scene of John, Bumstead and the Doc in the car before they reach the canal, where the Dr says they can't make him go to Shell Beach and John hits him with his tuning powers to convince him otherwise.

-Some FX revisions- John's tuning effects are more subtle (supposedly implying they're not yet fully developed), and during the last battle, beams of light and smoke trails have been added to the erupting city carnage. A trail of a blue liquid or gas also spews from Mr Book's knife wound as he hurdles towards the water tower.

On the whole it's still the same movie, but the tweaks do make some improvements, I think especially where it concerns Bumstead's gradual acceptance of what is going on. The effects revisions are minor but the stuff towards the end does add to the mayhem in a positive way. Really, I'm just bothered by that one line deletion ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.