main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Dark Empire Trilogy

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DarthDeviousTX, Jun 3, 2011.

1. SheaHublin

SheaHublin Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 15, 2008
    There really isn't room to fit him in with the original 12 Exiles, per the above count. Even if we have one open spot left if Tulak Hord and Red Armor are the same, it should be kept open just in case. Kallig is much better suited to be a second-generation Sith Lord- one of the children or very early descendants of an Exile.

darklordoftech likes this.
  2. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    Ah, that does make sense, I suppose.

3. Gunsmithcat

Gunsmithcat Jedi Knight

Mar 13, 2017
    Oh, those were the days. I recall how exciting it was to have the Thrawn Trilogy, Dark Empire, and the Tales of the Jedi books, reliving Star Wars. It was so silent from about 84/85, to 1992, and i just loved these books and still do. The new movies should have taken more notes from there, rather than copying the OT movies in large parts.

KikReask, mnjedi and Jedi Ben like this.
  4. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Reading the 2018 leg of this thread has been lovely. It's reminded me why Lit was my favourite Internet haunt for so long. :)

5. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    I actually think that there is a lot of Dark Empire trilogy DNA in the ST thus far.

6. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    I don't. The ST is basically 'Legacy of the Force' with Jacen/Kylo's betrayal, culminating in a final showdown with Jacen/Kylo in 9/Invincible.

7. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Thrawn Trilogy raised the attention with great characters/plot. TotJ greatly expanded the galaxy and opened a new era, along with the history of the Sith

Dark Empire was not as good as these two, but still contributed a lot to the post RotJ lore.

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  8. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Secret Successor Empire = Dark Empire.

Fallen Solo Child = LotF.

Powerful Creepy Ancient Darksider = Abeloth.

More or less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    I don't think snoke is as ancient as abeloth. Im guessing hes a bored rich guy, basically a senior citizen version of the Krath.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

10. TheAvengerButton

Aug 11, 2011
    Well I was thinking in both broad and short strokes. There is a hard-reset when it comes to the Rebellion in Dark Empire (and I'll acknowledge the OOU troubles that caused that) which turns into the destruction of the New Republic and rise of the Resistance/new Rebellion. There is a surprising and swift Imperial attack by resurgent Empire forces (the Dark Empire/First Order) and both the First Order and the Dark Empire have a massive, MASSIVE flagship in the Eclipse II/Supremacy. Starkiller Base is a Galaxy Gun of sorts, having the same function but just dressed differently.

Granted, a lot of things don't happen in the same order but there are a lot of similar beats/visuals. An ancient tiny Force User gifts the protagonist with a lightsaber (Vima to Leia/Maz to Rey) The forces of good are cornered on a planet by AT-ATs and forced to flee in the Millenium Falcon...there is even a sabotage mission to sneak onto the Eclipse II/Supremacy to sabotage it in some manner. And the Eclipse II nearly hyperspace rams the Galaxy Gun like Holdo rams the Supremacy. There is even a great old Tree hiding a Jedi Library in both Dark Empire II and The Last Jedi. Luke stands alone in front of the might of the Empire and takes them on single handed.

Granted, there are a **** ton of other elements at play as well. Snoke is an Exar Kun-type who sabotages Luke's Jedi Academy and turns Ben Solo like Exar turned Kyp. Kylo Ren is a (better IMO) version of Darth Caedus--notice I didn't say Jacen Solo. Starkiller Base acts like the StarForge/Centerpoint Station in that it harnesses energy from stars and causes their destruction.

But I personally think the Dark Empire stuff is the most prominently recycled for sure.

Iron_lord and The Positive Fan like this.
  11. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Can we just pretend that Dark Empire still basically happened, only this time Palpatine successfully possessed the young Ben Solo, unbeknownst to everyone?

Sadly he didn't manage to transfer his memories, just his inclination towards POWER, UNLIMITED POWER and watching Darth Vader's career with great interest.

And thus Kylo Ren was born.

12. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    If the sole line "the kids are safe on New Alderaan" was removed, Dark Empire could indeed have been fitted into new canon. But that line is there, and the Aftermath trilogy additionally wiped out any chance of this story fitting in with different circumstances for Ben's birth.

And no Palpatine didn't possess Ben Solo because Ben Solo doesn't have Palpatine's patience. Palpatine waited until his 60s, gritting his teeth and wining and dining the Jedi, Orn Free Taa, and even Jar-Jar Binks (one of the TCW novels shows Palpatine commiserating inside about having to chat with Jar Jar) until he fully came out as evil. He waited till the time is right so that his empire will be stable.

Kylo doesn't have this patience. If Kylo were Palpatine, he'd have said "Uncle Luke, what are you doing holding a lightsaber at me? I think you need to go to therapy. I will take care of your students while you get mental help."

Luke would have no choice but to go to therapy, while Kylo then corrupts ALL the students. But Kylo will still pretend to be good. Kylo will infiltrate the Senate and the First Order, secretly let them fight it out, then wait to take over the remains. He'd do stuff a lot more subtle and calculating than his--let's kill Luke's students! Let's kill Snoke! Let's take over the galaxy without a plan!!! Palpatine would just be shaking his head...

Vialco, AusStig and Gamiel like this.
  13. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
  14. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    My girlfriend for some reason actually did read Dark Empire with the assumption that it led directly into TFA, and so the reference to Han and Leia's other kids completely blew her mind.

Sinrebirth , Ulicus and AV-6R7 like this.
  15. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    It would have been better if she read Tatooine Ghost thinking it led into TFA. :p

16. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Hmm, a Cam Kennedy designed Starkiller and Supremacy would have probably been cooler than what we got.

Nom von Anor and AusStig like this.
  17. TheAvengerButton

Aug 11, 2011
    They are taking a lot of inspiration from old EU stuff. I only hope some of Cam's crazier ideas come back.

18. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Check it out: went to the local shop for Free Comic Book Day, came home with a brand new copy of DE because my trade that i've had l've had over 20 years had gotten worn from use and i figured i'd take the opportunity to have a mint copy complete with all the prose notes in the back.

Now, i didnt think much of it beyond "hey, it's really cool to have found a copy with the notes because i think some later editions didnt have them." Pulled it out tonight to see that it's a 1993 first edition, and the copy i've been reading all these years is the 1995 second edition!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 6, 2018
  19. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Yup - I did the same a few years back (donated the worse-condition copy I had to my nephews after finding a better-condition copy), and now that I've checked it - my copy has the same First Edition date.

It does show the set of numbers underneath, running 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1, instead of 10 9 8 7 6 5, as on your copy - do those numbers mean anything?

Last edited: May 6, 2018
    Jedi Knight Fett and Dawud786 like this.
  20. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    Those numbers indicate the printing. The last number in the line is the printing.
    10 9 8 7 6 5 would be the fifth printing of that edition.
    10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 would be the first printing of that edition.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

Dawud786 likes this.
  21. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    So that means my copy is not just a first edition but a first printing. Nice.

22. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    A lot can be said about DE, but those Dorman covers were epic. [face_love]

23. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Between Dave Dorman on DE and Hugh Fleming on TOTJ, Star Wars were the most gorgeous comic covers of that time.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

24. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    A lot of good things that can be said about DE? I agree!

While I love all of Dorman's work, I think his cover to the first issue of Crimson Empire is maybe his most iconic for me.

Now, Crimson Empire - there's a series where a lot can be said about the interior art, but the covers are flawless ;)

25. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Oh. This. Can we please get a previously unknown sister for Ben Solo that returns from exile to hunt him down and destroy him like Jaina did with Jacen?