main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Dark Empire Trilogy

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DarthDeviousTX, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    They had no reaction when their pods was destroied and they were let out.

2. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    I read Dark Empire in their entirety and pretty sure the only time they were let out was when the corpse fell out when Luke or a traitorous Imperial was cutting the pod.

3. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    In canon, this sorta idea is basically what is behind Rey's dad, Palpatine's "son". The "son" is actually a (strand cast) clone of Palpatine. Despite it not being Force sensitive, this clone was otherwise healthy and only allowed to live on as an individual but only to possibly create Force sensitive offspring which Sidious could then use for himself. The clone was then terminated by Sidous' order.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  4. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    He didn't look anything like Sidious by the time he was functional, apparently.

5. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    And I'm guessing it's because he was cast as genuinely Palpatine's son at the time, not a clone

Daneira likes this.
  6. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Rey also shared some of Sidious' memories(not just powers), since she's the daughter of a clone.

7. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Eh, Billy Howle looks enough like Ian to pass as "young Palpatine" the same way Ewan passes as young Obi-Wan despite not really being identical to Alec Guinness.

"And now, young Skywalker, you will die...."

[​IMG]

Y'all just can't deal with Palps being pretty.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  8. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    I'm fine with pretty Palps, and he was interesting to read about in Darth Plagueis.

But the fact of the matter is, with the budget of ROS and considering how little Rey's father appeared, if he were meant to be a Palpatine clone they could have CGI'd young Ian the way they did with Mark Hamill.

9. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Sure, I don't disagree. I thought it was reasonably clear I was addressing Sinre's point.

e. To clarify: Even if Howle was cast as Palpatine's non-clone son -- and I agree that's most likely -- he has cinema's idea of what passes for physical resemblance and it's close enough that he could easily pass as a clone, too.

BigAl6ft6 and sidv88 like this.
  10. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    So we can start organ harvesting Congress?

11. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Oh the same Jedi that used clones as wartime slaves are really going to take the moral high ground here? The clones are sedated and free of pain until they are activated with the original's memories, and thus it's more merciful than them being blown up during wars or captured and experimented on like Echo.

12. son_of_skywalker03

Dec 7, 2003
    The Jedi didn't make or authorize use of the clone army. They took the leadership role to make the best of an awful situation

Gamiel likes this.
  13. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    They could have refused to use them and petition for the clones to go free. The way in the real world figures resign when they disagree with the course of action in a government.

14. son_of_skywalker03

Dec 7, 2003
    The Jedi were in a no-win situation with the clones. Literally everything they could have done by then would have easily been spun in the worst light against them.

Alpha-Red, Gamiel and Fel Corvax like this.
  15. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Yet they still could have refused to use the clones. So what if it looks bad. We see religious groups in the real world breaking the law and doing far worse (harming public health) over less (holding gatherings during quarantine etc.)

In the real world those religious groups are criminal obviously, but with the Jedi and the clones it's not clear if the Jedi refusing to use it is. And if it were illegal, they still would have a moral stance for their case.

Sly442 and Fel Corvax like this.
  16. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Then we have no story :p

17. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Not necessarily. Knowing the Jedi are now out of the fight, Dooku might have decided to take over the Republic for real. Without Jedi leadership, the clones might lose (being led by Tarkin, Ozzel, etc.). It'll be the Old Republic MMO all over again with a sack of Coruscant. Dooku would then reveal Palpatine as a Sith Lord, claiming his goal was to save the Republic from him (sort of like he told Obi-Wan on Geonosis).

I don't know what will happen next but it sounds very interesting. Doesn't sound like "no story" at all.

18. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    ?

That's not how that works?

Also, more general address to anyone, flash-growing clones isn't a real thing. Maybe with GFFA tech... but then why didn't Kamino use it?

Gamiel likes this.
  19. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    What in the world happened to my Dark Empire topic?

This tangent about the ethical use of clones...I've seen this way too many times before to count. The fact is that sometimes characters have to make rash decisions that are sometimes to their detriment. This is just how story and conflict go. They were put into a difficult situation and made a choice one way or another. The movies don't necessarily vindicate the Jedi for doing this, as the choice ends up with their downfall. However, the Clone Wars show at least shows us that the Jedi were trying to make the best of their new situation with how they instructed the clones and encouraged them to be their own individuals, so, whatever.

ANYWAY, back to Dark Empire. The tank clones are not conscious. They are essentially inactive until possessed by Palpatine's spirit, and that's about all we know for truth about them.

BigAl6ft6, Jedi Ben, Gamiel and 2 others like this.
  20. Fel Corvax

Fel Corvax Jedi Master star 3

May 19, 2020
    Did you know human cloning is not illegal in the United States

21. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    The tank clones are alive but kept in stasis and on some life support system. They simply had no education nor upbringing since their only purpose was to be a host for the spirit of Darth Sidious. They were only capable of babbling speech on their own. They werent grown or allowed to be individuals, thats the main difference. The cloned bodies were all unable to sustain his power - apparently cause they were not Force sensitive like his original body. Thats why he kept jumping from body to body, they quickly aged and died once his spirit was inside them - he drained the life from them at accelerated rates. However its made clear that the reality was in Dark Empire the Emperor's spirit could enter anyone he so wished, he threatened Luke early on in entering him and told Leia, " I can enter anyone...I can overshadow the soul that dwells therein. I can enter..your child- - - - the one that is stirring in your womb."

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  22. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Palpatine claims he can take over another person (in both EU and Canon) but has he ever actually done so successfully? Has anyone ever done so before? And if he has done so successfully before, why didn't he just stay in those bodies instead of his clones? Nanotech cosmetic surgery like in TCW would have restored his original appearance if that was important to him.

23. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Talzin takes over Dooku. Momin's mask takes over the hosts.

The way he dies in "Empire's End" was that he took over the wrong body. He went for infant Anakin Solo but the dying Brand got in the way and sacrificed his eternal soul to take Palpatine's soul to hell or whatever.

Presumably other bodies may of not contained Palpatine's soul either for long, he'd have to jump around. But in Dark Empire he powers the Dark Side elite with his own lifeforce, so he must've had unlimited lifeforce to power up other Force sensitive individuals.

The process of humping into clone bodies and left him temporarily weakened state. It was kinda similar for Talzin as Brother Viscus said the process could leave her weakened.

24. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    That's usually what happens to me when I hump into ANY body.

25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I thought they were spineless, not mindless :p