main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Dark Lord" by Luceno (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by forever_jedi, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. forever_jedi

forever_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 5, 2002
    Leto posted elsewhere:

"James Luceno is hard at work right now on a new, post-EP3 hardcover entitled Dark Lord, covering Darth Vader's early days, the Jedi Purge, and the start of the Rebellion in earnest. Luceno has recently said that it forms a trilogy of sorts with Labyrinth of Evil and Matt Stover's ROTS novel."

That trilogy of "Labyrinth of Evil", "Revenge of the Sith", and "Dark Lord" sounds excellent! Judging by how good LoE is, and the ringing endorsement Pablo gave Stover's RotS novel, Dark Lord should be another EXCELLENT read.

More importantly, it will give fans a chance to read about suited Vader doing his stuff. And Bail, Mon and others working on the Rebel Alliance.

Does anyone know more about this? Will it be a direct lead-out from RotS? Will it literally start from the final moments of RotS, as LoE leads into the beginning moments of RotS? I remember the OS posted a while ago about a post E3 novel covering the days and weeks just past E3. Is this IT? When will it be out?

2. Force-Keeper

Force-Keeper Jedi Master star 5

Jun 16, 2004
    Nice, I hope it's a direct lead-out of RoTS. That will be a great book, thanks for that F_J and Leto.

3. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 27, 1999
  4. General_Ben

General_Ben Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 15, 2005
    WHOA! Now thats what I'm talking about.

5. master-of-les-pauls

master-of-les-pauls Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 16, 2005
    i had heard that there was gonna be a book covering the weeks sraight after ep3

6. master_organa

master_organa Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 5, 2004
    Anything by Luceno is amazing.

7. Jumpman

Jumpman Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    The book is suppose to take place right before Revenge of the Sith ends and the next two months afterwards...and yes, it would be cool to have a small trilogy inside the Saga.

8. darth-ellen

darth-ellen Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 20, 2004
    This is cool news...LoE is great so far.
    d-e @};-

9. OT_fan

OT_fan Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 29, 2004
    I'll have to read both of these books but I'm cheap so I'll wait for the softcover ;)

10. Disco_Dark_Jeedai

Disco_Dark_Jeedai Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 19, 2001
    Do you need to have read the other "Clone War" novels before reading LOE? I am a little behind and want to know if I and read LOE without reading the previous novels?

11. darth-ellen

Oct 20, 2004
    Disco...I have never read any EU before. I started LoE and understand it just fine. I hope this helps you. :D
    d-e @};-

12. master-of-les-pauls

Jan 16, 2005
    darth-ellen you dont know what your missing

13. DarthLazious

DarthLazious Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    Man life could not get any better.

14. Disco_Dark_Jeedai

Disco_Dark_Jeedai Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 19, 2001
    D-E, thanks......you NEED to read the New Jedi Order series!! It was very good! :)

15. forever_jedi

forever_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 5, 2002
    Does anyone know when Dark lord will be out? Leto where are you?

I must say this is the book I am looking forward to even more than the RotS novel. I wonder if it will be a bridge between RotS and the rumored TV series.

Looking forward to "Dark Lord" will soften some of the grief at the end of SW drawing to a close! :_|

16. darth-ellen

Oct 20, 2004
    Thanks guys. I'll have to start checking out more EU.

d-e @};-

17. Jumpman

Sep 12, 2003
    I read LoE without reading any of the Clone Wars novels or any EU for that matter and this book felt like Star Wars, more importantly, it felt like it belonged in the story of Anakin Skywalker.

Now, supposedly Lucas was very, very hands on with this particular book (LoE) which I've heard that he's never really done that with the rest of the EU stuff.

You don't necessarily need to read LoE to understand the story that's going on but, to me, it explains pretty much the political side of the Prequel Trilogy, eventhough I feel that didn't need explaining.

To have LoE, then the ROTS novel, and then Dark Lord follow it, that should be pretty interesting. Then we all can go right into Episode IV the novel.

I'd be willing to read Dark Lords and end my EU experience right there.

18. master-of-les-pauls

Jan 16, 2005
    read the thrawn trilogy my personal fave of the sequell era the new jedi order is pretty cool as well but i havent read them all yet

19. Jumpman

Sep 12, 2003
    See my problem with the EU is a problem that I have. I don't care for the secondary character adventures. I'm personally more invested in Anakin, Padme, Obi-Wan, and Palpatine. And for me, there hasn't been an EU novel to have all four characters in the same novel playing big roles.

It's the same with Original Trilogy characters. Because the Original Trilogy deals with Anakin's redemption and we get that at the end of Return of the Jedi, I'm not interested in Luke's adventures at all. He served his purpose. No need to read or watch him every again.

With Anakin/Vader, it's different. He's a compelling character and if we get a glimpse of how he was after Revenge of the Sith, plus something on Obi-Wan, then I'm set. I'm hoping Dark Lords provides that.

20. SithedMyPants

SithedMyPants Jedi Master star 3

Jan 24, 2004
    Anything by Luceno is amazing.

Maybe for a 19 year old juco student just learning the language... this guy can't write characters or scenes- he seems to excel exclusively at battle descriptions and military protocols- which is fine for Robotech but satisfies about 20% of the tools a Star Wars novelist needs... personally, I find this announcement disappointing- Dark Lord should have an awesome story to tell.

For those of you who like this cat, well, I'd have to chalk it up to either limited literary exposure or overzealous fanboy endorsements.

LOE- Plot/Story: 8.0/10 Style/Execution: 2.0/10

21. master-of-les-pauls

Jan 16, 2005
    im kinnda the same junpman unless it has the main characters i couldnt careless i dont wanna hear about what wedge and the rouges got up to,

22. Jumpman

Sep 12, 2003
    Me neither.

But I have this firm belief that the EU is the main cause of most people's perception of how the Prequels should've went.

23. master-of-les-pauls

Jan 16, 2005
    your prob right there,

24. X-Wing_Ace

X-Wing_Ace Jedi Youngling

Aug 12, 2003
    If it covers the start of the Rebellion in earnest, then wont it have to have Garm Bel Ibis in it? He was part of the Big 3 as it were of Mon Mothma and Bail. Luceno has done a pretty good job with every book hes done, so Im hoping it will be solid.

25. DarthHutt

DarthHutt Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 2, 2000
    There is an article in the latest 'SW Insider' in which Luceno briefly discusses this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.