main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Dark Lord" by Luceno (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by forever_jedi, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthJuggalo

DarthJuggalo Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2005
    I'm down for a CGI Vader.

2. TheCRZA

TheCRZA Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2005
    I just started in and finished up to Vader's arrival.
    I like that that the Jedi are unknowns...
    It gives the author freer reign to tell a good story
    without meddling with sacrosanct characters.
    Very little of the OT had Vader in it and he was obviously huge.
    There is room enough for new, and different tales.

Killing off old characters tightnes the noose.
    Adding new characters opens it...

3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Vader has a pretty good "screentime" in this book. I'll say that. A bit more than in TESB. Plus, like "Shadows Of The Empire", we get into Vader's head. Really get into it, which allows us to understand his character. Someone once mentioned that there was a bit of a similar tone with SOTE and DL. I agree. They both compliment each other. We see Anakin continue to become Vader in DL and then we see Vader begin to become Anakin in SOTE. Thus the circle is complete. Especially when you take Vader's desire to be free of the suit, in DL and then compare it to his thoughts about doing it with Luke's help. You get a nice symmetry going with the character.

4. thebadge

thebadge Jedi Master star 4

Mar 15, 2002
    darth-sinister, I was thinking along those lines about DL as well.

5. DarthJuggalo

DarthJuggalo Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2005
    I also thought that Luceno did a good job with the spoken parts of the book.
    Especially the Vader quotes. For the most part they were very Vader-esque.

Like when Starstone tells him that he disgraced the Jedi temple by setting foot there. And he responds with "More than you know".

And of course when Shryne is dying and Vader tells him that he's Anakin. Shryne asks him if he was one of the lost 20 and he says, "I'm the twenty-first. Surely you've heard of Anakin Skywalker, The Chosen One".

Just awesome!

6. Darth_Nefar

Darth_Nefar Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 4, 2005
    Does anyone know exactly how many weeks/months after Revenge of the Sith that Dark Lord ends? I'm going to write a short story about something that occurs during RotS and carries on after the events in DL, so I need a timeline if possible. Thanks.

7. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    The book begins about the time Anakin learns that Palpatine is Sidious and Obi-wan's chasing Grievous. By the time Order 66 occurs, that's when Shryne and the others learn of it. A short time passes when they recieve the first transmission telling them to come hom. Then more time for the call to run and hide. Then we jump ahead one month, to when Vader heads to Murkha (sp). By the end of the book, at least two months or so have passed.

8. TheCRZA

May 29, 2005
    The more I get into this book, the more i really enjoy it.
    Shryne's a great character. I don't understand why people
    want to skip to the Vader parts... Shryne's tale is just as important.

9. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I really liked this book... possibly just as much as LOE.

I agree that Vader's scenes weren't all that interesting, however. Well, aside from the scene where he describes all the problems with the suit. But aside from that, it was just more Vader/Palps bickering, which is starting to get a bit monotonous in the EU.

10. TheCRZA

May 29, 2005
    I like how Vader is bitchy and blames everybody else,
    just like Anakin. Does a great job of weaving and blurring
    the lines between them, if there truly are any...

11. TheCRZA

May 29, 2005
    Wrapped it up this wook.

Great stuff. Thought Shryne was great.
    The ending was terrific, thought I thought
    OWK was treated a little heavy handed.
    We get it.

12. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Well, the ending had to clear up for those who've wondered just why the hell was Luke allowed to live on Tatooine? So, it's not too bad. Plus it creates a nice visual, with it's ending coming across as almost cinematic.

13. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Plus Obi-Wan's reaction was very nice. It's only a short bit, but the way he's in a daze for a few seconds was good...plus the locals already know he likes the drink :p

And the link into the crazy old man stuff, with him talking to the air, was a very funny little idea.

14. mastersith69

mastersith69 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 10, 2005
    yeah i have to agree because when obiwan found out vader was still alive, you could actually feel the panic obiwan was feeling and the sudden urge to run over to the lars and take luke away. then how he heard quigon and had to quickly hide in an allyway so nobody thought he was crazy. great ending to a book.

15. kel_kenobi

kel_kenobi Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2005
    I've read the book twice. The first time I was REALLY anxious to get into Vader's mind; to see the evolution of his relationship with Palpatine and how he was adjusting to his new role & the suit, so I skipped to those parts. As soon as I had done that I immediately re-read the entire thing. Obviously the book was much better that way, and I enjoyed Shryne's story, but what can I say?

Impatience is a path to the dark side of the force...[face_batting]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.