main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Dark Welsh

Discussion in 'Archive: FF:UK - Wales' started by SithLord-Mixo, Jan 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithLord-Mixo

SithLord-Mixo Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 21, 2002
    Greetings from OZ. Now this is not a Star Wars question, but something that I need cleared up
    My grandmother and grandfather came from Wales and had slightly tanned skin and looks, so has my father and brother. They always said that they were related to the Dark Welsh.

Is/was there ever really the Dark Welsh?
    No one believes me when i tell them this story.
    Please clarify it for me!

2. Terra

Terra Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 25, 2000
    Never heard of that phrase meself...

3. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    Thanks Terra, honestly this is no joke so if anyone has any info out there please tell me. My grandparents came out early 1900 and my surname is Meredith

4. TANTIV

TANTIV Jedi Knight star 6

May 2, 2001
    Right could they be of Patagonion decent there is a community in south America who speak the Welsh Language it is teh only Country outside wales whos speak it

and Patagonia is not that far from oz.

5. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    Thanks TANTIV, no they came over before the war from Wales. My grandfather first for a year and then his wife. Perhaps of Roman ancestory?

6. Jedi_Kai

Jedi_Kai Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2001
    Don't know if this is any help. I'm in the USA, of Irish descent, and my family talked about the "Black Irish", meaning those of the actual Celtic "race" as opposed to those with Viking (Norse) mix. The former have fair skin but dark hair. The red (or ginger, as you call it, I think) hair is from the Viking invasions.

I was just browsing the UK forums as I'll be visiting for 3 weeks in May. Lived a year in Leeds, West Yorks many years ago. Will be visiting a friend from Leeds who has recently bought himself a sheep farm in Wales!

7. Ramble_Boba

Ramble_Boba Jedi Master star 5

May 13, 2002
    I'm not welsh

8. Khomeini_Ayatollah

Khomeini_Ayatollah Jedi Youngling

Feb 8, 2002
    I don't know if this is any help, but I was reading a book about King Arthur, and there was a race of people who lived in Wales who were short and dark. They lived in the Hollow Hills. Although this was in the 5th/6th century and I can't confirm whether that was true.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.