main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Darkest to most lighthearted star wars film.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Jangounchained1990, Jun 16, 2015.

1. SmallTatooineSun

SmallTatooineSun Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 16, 2016
    No, the half was on Netflix. I never got around to finishing it. :)

Bazinga'd likes this.
  2. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    My update. I don't always mean "better" when I say darker.

Revenge of the Sith: A tragic ending to the prequels, with the best character development of the three. One of the two protagonist is lured into killing children and an army commits genocide. The other hero is forced to dismember his best friend. Best use of CGI of the three, though I'm generally indifferent to CGI. While the final duel is a little dragged out, it's entertaining to watch the action scenes.

The Force Awakens: Villain orders the massacre of a village. While containing light moments and jokes, main character is shrouded in mystery, Han Solo, a well-known, emotionally weighed character is killed by his son, five planets are destroyed. Ends with note of uncertainty

Rogue One: Though a ray of "hope" shines at the end, all the main characters die. Shows war most realistically, with shady characters allied against the Empire, shatters the illusion of straight up good vs. evil, though the Rebels are still clearly in the right. Shows the horrors of war that civilians face up close

Attack of the Clones: As main character is seduced into darkness, he experiences the loss of his mother and kills women and children. Contains some lighthearted humor.

The Empire Strikes Back: Heroes are scattered, villain is heavily featured, one of the protagonist is left with unknown fate. Explains nature of Force expanding on previous film, hero struggles with good and evil, hero is left helpless by villain

Return of the Jedi, fewer dark moments, though they are very dark as hero nearly succumbs to his anger and hate. Hero nearly dies helplessly at the hands of a new villain more sinister than the one we already knew. Triumphant ending, most emotional stakes of trilogy

The Last Jedi: Humor weighs down movie slightly, ends with hero's victory, some intense/suspenseful scenes, mentor/hero of OT dies by self-sacrifice, villain struggles with good and evil

A New Hope; planet is destroyed although with little emotions attached, aunt and uncle of hero are killed and burned, contains humor proportionate to overall tone, few truly dark scenes, although mentor is killed, his death is slightly glossed over

The Phantom Menace- Most childlike humor, slapstick comedy is most frequent here, slightly hints at dark tone of laer installments, sad scene of mentor death, and separation of mother and child, though not many suspenseful scenes, ends on lighthearted note

3. CLee

CLee Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 18, 2017
    When I think about it more I guess RotS is a touch darker than TESB, mostly because in TESB Han and Luke nobly sacrifice themselves, the latter outright refusing to turn Dark, and there isn't something similarly inspiring even though somber in Sith.
    AotC-pretty strong themes of corruption and unease, doubts about the Clone army including its origins, Dooku's nature, how Anakin will turn out.
    ANH-pretty intense even though in a pretty fun way.
    TPM-The Sith are shown to be a really big deal and there's good conflict about Anakin's training, with both the Council's reasoning and Anakin's future implied to be dubious, also even apparently good Palaptine comes off as at least a little opportunistic.
    RotJ-Despite the Emperor's evil (which correlates a bit with toning down Vader's) and also going more into Luke's anger, generally not a lot of sense of high stakes, generally the most optimistic one with the least amount of doubt that the good guys will win and succeed.

4. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    1. Revenge of the Sith (Obviously)
    2. Rogue One
    3. The Force Awakens
    4. The Last Jedi
    5. The Empire Strikes Back
    6. Attack of the Clones
    7. Return of the Jedi
    8. A New Hope
    9. The Phantom Menace

5. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Darkest

The Force Awakens

Rogue One

Revenge of the Sith

The Last Jedi

The Empire Strikes Back

Attack of the Clones

A New Hope

The Phantom Menace

Return of the Jedi

Lightest

6. Harbour

Harbour Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 15, 2015
    RotS - ESB - AotC - RO - ANH - RotJ - TPM - TLJ - TFA

7. BoulderFaceplant

BoulderFaceplant Jedi Knight

Dec 20, 2017
    ROTS
    RO
    TESB
    TLJ
    AOTC
    ANH
    ROTJ
    TFA
    TPM

8. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Darkest was ROTs

Lightest was ROTJ

9. Qui-Gon Keith

Qui-Gon Keith Jedi Master star 2

Oct 5, 2015
    From Darkest to Lighthearted:
    ROTS
    RO
    ESB
    AOTC
    ROTJ
    TFA
    TPM
    ANH
    TLJ

10. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    ROTS
    RO
    ESB
    TLJ
    AOTC
    TFA
    ANH
    ROTJ
    TPM
    SOLO

11. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Darkest Empire/RO. Lightest TPM/ ROTJ

12. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    Very hard to provide a ranking. All SW films have dark and lighthearted moments. But if I really had to choose I'd say dark: ROTS>AOTC>TLJ>ESB>ROTJ>ANH>TPM. I only watched TFA and R1 once, so I'm not sure how to rate them

christophero30 likes this.
  13. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Hard to rank but my best effort:

1. The Force Awakens: Establishes a nihilistic setting for the Sequel Trilogy with the New Republic obliterated by Starkiller Base (a Death Star on steroids, basically), the Jedi Order essentially wiped out, Han and Leia split up, and Han and Chewie back to their smuggling days. The dominating feeling that all the accomplishments of our Original Trilogy heroes and heroines had been turned to ashes.

2. The Last Jedi: Continues nihilistic tone established by Force Awakens only with Luke being a bitter guy who blames all his failures on the Jedi Order as a whole and thinks the Jedi Order should die because he's depressed. Very sad to see Luke in this state for most of the movie.

3. Rogue One: A gritty war film where our main heroic characters die, but their deaths are given meaning. They die as martyrs, and, thus the tone feels more grittily realistic than nihilistic. Dark, in other words, but not nihilistic.

4. Empire Strikes Back: Lots of psychological horror in this film between Lando being manipulated to betray his old friend Han, Luke's affection for Han and Leia being used to lure him into a trap by the Empire, and of course the famous revelation that Vader is Luke's father.

5. Revenge of the Sith: Very tragic movie with the fall of the Jedi, the fall of the Republic, the fall of Anakin, Padme's death, and Obi-Wan and Yoda driven into exile. Hint of hope in Luke and Leia being placed with their adoptive families, however.

6. Solo: Film feels pretty dark from its opening in the rough areas of Corellia with an almost Oliver Twist situation for Han, and continues to be dark as it deals with war and smuggling.

7. A New Hope: An entire planet is blown up in this film so I feel like out of respect for Alderaan I can't rank it lower than this. Plus Obi-Wan, my favorite Jedi, dies. At least he comes back as a Force Ghost.

8. Attack of the Clones: On the surface, may seem like a happy ending with Anakin marrying Padme, but Anakin's slaughter of the Tusken Raiders and the dark elements of Anakin's romance with Padme foreshadow his fall to the Dark Side. There is also the fact that it ends on the promise of galactic civil war and we can see how Palpatine manipulates the Senate (through Jar Jar) into granting him emergency powers. The darkness might be subtle but it's very much there for me. C-3P0 making puns during the Battle of Geonosis does act to lighten the tone during some of the film's most intense sequences, however.

9. The Phantom Menace: Very much seems like a happy ending on the surface with Naboo freed and Anakin as Obi-Wan's apprentice, but Qui-Gon is dead, the Sith are back, and Palpatine has manipulated himself to the position of the Supreme Chancellor by playing Padme like a fiddle. There's a hidden menace to this film's happy ending so I think the film's title is very appropriate in that regard. The presence of Jar Jar's joking presence throughout the film does noticeably lighten the tone throughout the movie.

10. Return of the Jedi: Empire destroyed, Vader redeemed, Ewoks, and dancing victory celebrations at the end. Has the lightest tone to me despite the intensity of the throne room scene between Luke, Vader, and Palpatine. Should be noted that even the lightest Star Wars film has dark elements.

wobbits, oierem, CT-867-5309 and 3 others like this.
  14. WayoftheJedi

WayoftheJedi Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 12, 2019
    ROTS is darkest.Then TFA.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    devilinthedetails likes this.
  15. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    Revenge of the Sith (has never been topped in terms of it's dark tone, I was hoping The Last Jedi would)

The Force Awakens (in the context of the whole saga, almost as dark as Revenge of the Sith, unpopular opinion)

Solo (this one was surprisingly dark)

The Empire Strikes Back

Attack of the Clones (some of the same childish humor as its predecessor, but its darker moments are very dark, as well as the final impression it leaves)

Rogue One

A New Hope (I prefer to call it "Star Wars", but this is to avoid confusion)

Return of the Jedi (roughly tied with The Last Jedi, I prefer this film though)

The Last Jedi (roughly tied with Return of the Jedi)

The Phantom Menace

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  16. Jediking97

Jediking97 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 24, 2018
    Revenge of the Sith: the republic becomes the empire, the Jedi knights are exterminated and the chosen one falls to the dark side

The Last Jedi: The Resistance/Rebels starts the story off with over 10000 soilders, pilots, etc and end with only a hand full of people, Luke Skywalker becomes one with the force

The Empire Strikes Back: The Rebels lost their base on Hoth and are on the run from the Empire, Han is Frozen in Carbonite, Luke is an emotional wreck after the "big reveal" by the story's end and hasn't completed his training

Rogue One: Jyn, Cassian, K2-SO and others all die on Scarif but at least Leia got away with the Death Star schematics.

Attack of the Clones: Dooku escapes with the Death Star schematics, The Clone Wars begin which the Republic was trying to Anakin prevent andmarries Padme which is his next step close to the dark side

Solo: Qi'ra and Beckett betrays Han and leaves him behind on Savareen. But at least he still has Chewie and then wins the Millennium Falcon from Lando after a game of Sabacc

A New Hope: Alderann is destroyed by the Death Star and Darth Vader kills Obi Wan but at least the rebels succeed in destroying the Death Star

The Force Awakens: The First Order uses the Starkiller to destroy the New Republic, Han Solo is killed but the resistance destroyed Starkiller base and Rey finds Luke

Return of the Jedi: Anakin is redeemed and destroys the Emperor, the Galactic Civil War ends sometime after the battle of Endor and the Galaxy is at peace... At least for another thirty years

The Phantom Menace: I would agree if someone says this one is kid friendly and it has the least dark stuff out of the other movies and since it's the first act of the Star Wars saga the shroud of the dark side hasn't formed just yet.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  17. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    tlj, tesb, rots
    tpm, aotc
    rogue 1, anh
    rotj, tfa
    solo

Deliveranze and Dandelo like this.
  18. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    ROTS
    TFA
    AOTC
    RO
    TESB
    Solo
    TROS
    ANH
    ROTJ
    TPM
    TLJ

Deliveranze likes this.
  19. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    ROTS
    TESB
    AOTC
    ROTJ
    ANH
    TPM

I’ll just stop there.

20. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    I'm not trying to tell you that your opinion is wrong, but what makes you put TLJ as the lightest movie?

For me it's one of the darker ones with all the Resistance deaths, Luke's cynical attitude, Kylo remaining dark, Holdo and Luke's sacrifices, no reinforcements coming for the Resistance and even Leia saying that the spark is out before Luke arrives at the end. Even a Porg looks on in horror at Chewie eating one of its species in this one.

I know hope is mentioned a lot in the movie and Luke is symbol of it at the end, but I would still say there's a pretty dark tone throughout.

Sarge likes this.
  21. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    @Grievousdude In retrospect, I’d probably rank it above TPM but still below everything else.

Even when things were the most at stake, the film didn’t seem to take itself seriously. For example, Motti wasn’t made into a Chaplin-type slapstick joke when Vader choked him, but we saw how scary Vader was.

It’s hard to take the villain seriously, even though yes, he does stay dark.
    That’s just me, of course.

Luke was also a source of comedy for me as well from his first to last appearance in TLJ

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  22. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I get where you’re coming from. In many ways, TLJ played more like a strange comedy than a Star Wars movie, which have always had light moments, but never went for Python gags.

Jedi Knight Fett and Dark Ferus like this.
  23. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    ROTS
    ESB
    TLJ
    Rogue One
    AOTC
    ROTJ
    TROS
    TPM
    SOLO
    TFA
    ANH
    TCW

If we went by death toll it'd be

TFA
    ANH
    Rogue One
    TROS
    ROTJ
    ROTS
    AOTC
    TLJ
    TCW
    TPM
    ESB
    SOLO

24. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Darkest to lightest - (Lucas Star Wars only)

ROTS
    ESB
    AOTC
    TPM (while everyone is happily celebrating, children are singing and the sun is shining... ultimately The Phantom Menace gets what he wants and is on his way to taking over the Universe and unleashing an evil the like of which no one has ever seen before - which is pretty dark)
    ANH
    ROTJ

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    wobbits and Deliveranze like this.
  25. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    Darkest: RotS —> R1 —> ESB

Lightest: TPM —> RotJ

I wasn’t counting the ST in my analysis because it’s hard for me to judge those films as a legitimate part of the story. If I look just at narrative, I’d say TLJ and TFA are far darker than R1 and ESB, and I would put TLJ ahead of even RotS as the darkest SW film. TLJ to me undoes the payoff fixing RotS, and the galaxy is at an even worse place because there are fewer Jedi and no one rebelling. RotS ended with the seeds of the rebellion and the twins. TLJ ended by telling us we shouldn’t be sad about the massacre we just witnessed and the total defeat/surrender of the galaxy despite the victory in RotJ, and only because of vague cliches, and that is so flipping dark and depressing. I actually think slaughters and defeats merit being sad. RotS didn’t shy away from that.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    wobbits and Emperor Ferus like this.