main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Darren Aronofsky's RoboCop

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Mastadge, Jul 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Yes, it's true. Darren Aronofsky has been hired to direct not a sequel but a reboot of the RoboCop franchise, with David Self to write. I'm curious how this will turn out -- Aronofsky's a powerful filmmaker but RoboCop's one of my favorites and Verhoeven's style is very different to Aronofsky's. Cautiously optimistic.

2. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Then again, having Clint Mansell's Requiem for a Dream score in the trailer would be, like, totally awesome again.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

Aronofsky will pretend to be interested in almost any mainstream movie, so that he can get financing for the films he wants to make. He hasn't made a mainstream film yet (after Pitt screwed him over, who can blame him?), and on the whole, he hasn't had a "hit" yet.

He still mostly has enough cash to make his movies (we can expect Weisz and Mansell to turn up in most anything he does), and I like Aronofsky movies -- he's carving out a career based on not compromising his vision, and not selling out to studios to do Saw 5 or Bratz 2.

But even if he did RoboCop, it would probably be so divorced from the Paul Verhoeven original, it would never get approved by the hardcore fanboys...yes, his RoboCop would be good; I'm just saying it's almost a waste, when there are many, many directors -- Leterrier, the Crank lads, etc. -- who could just as easily knock out an acceptable RoboCop reboot, with sensibilities more strongly right up their respective alleys than Aronofsky's.

3. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    While you're probably right that he only attaches himself to mainstream movies so the studios will fund the rest, it seems to me that the whole point of a reboot is not to do it the same way that they did it last time.

4. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    I'd rather they left the original films alone and continued with sequels that "re-booted" or "re-imagined" the character as necessary, rather than re-inventing the whole story and origin of the character from square one. The first film is perfect, action-packed and ingenious; and the second is an underrated piece of sci-fi/action awesomeness. Leave these films as they are and continue making stories that feature the character in new scenarios and intrigues, with new equipment, characters and technologies as needed along the way.

5. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    I like Robocop and would be interested in seeing another movie, but I don't see any point in just remaking it and its hard to see what story changes they could make that would make it to make it better then the original.

6. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    ^ ^ ^ That's exactly what I mean. What purpose does a re-make or re-boot serve? The original film is already note-perfect, even by 2008 standards.

7. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 26, 2004
    I want to see robocop do drugs like in Requiem with extreme close ups and short cuts.

8. The_Smirking_Revenge

The_Smirking_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 2, 2008
    I couldn't agree with you more. It also goes without saying that all the cynical and satirical elements will not be present in the remake...

-T_S_R

9. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Though, there's no way he could do this without including some leaden emo-nonsense:

"Madam, you have suffered an emotional shock. I will notify a rape-crisis center."

[Cut to emotionally-harrowing scene set in rape-crisis center.]

Either way, they're not coming to our houses to take our Criterion RoboCop DVDs from us, so who's complaining?

10. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Well, the questions that come to my mind is, "Why reimage the old series if you're going to make it completely different? Why not just call it something else entirely?"
    It's like they have to reset the comic books every 5 years or so. Suddenly Peter Parker isn't married to Mary-Jane Watson, The Green Goblin, Vulture, and Doc-Oc are back from the dead (again), as is Professor X, and so on...
    Seems silly.
    And it hampers and limits their creativity.

Oh well...

11. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Sith_Lord_Linkoping Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 19, 2001
    I wonder why the frak Darren Aronofsky choosed to direct this pile of garbage. Not only doesn't the world really need a new Robocop film but now talented directors also waste their time on what they think will be their ultimate break. Darren is such a talented director and has so unique visions that I rather perfer that he makes something own instead.

12. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    I believe this is where I once again rant that Hollywood is intellectually bankrupt. Are they so bereft of ideas that they can only do prequels, sequels, remakes, or adaptations?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.