main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter" by Michael Reaves [Del Rey, 2001]

Discussion in 'Archive: Literature Review Forum' started by Gandalf the Grey, Mar 1, 2003.

?

"Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter" by Michael Reaves [Del Rey, 2001]

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
  1. 10 (Excellent)

50.0%
  2. 9

23.8%
  3. 8

12.4%
  4. 7

6.9%
  5. 6 (Average)

1.5%
  6. 5 (Average)

2.0%
  7. 4

0.5%
  8. 3

1.0%
  9. 2

0.5%
  10. 1 (Poor)

1.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maul98td

maul98td Jedi Youngling

Mar 15, 2002
    The book was ok, but I thought it was called Darth Maul. Not Darsha and Lorn. I expected to hear about Maul and his background. He was rarely in the story. I gave it a 4

2. Jedi_Master_DR

Jedi_Master_DR Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 17, 2004
    9 out of 10

SPOILERS
    In my experience of having read most of the Star Wars novels, virtually none of the comics, and having read this book twice, it became a better novel personally for me. I thought Darsha was a well written character that was essential in showing us the more human side to a Padawan, and the Jedi in general. To the this point in the PT era novels, only a book like Shatterpoint does well in this area. I also loved I-Five and Lorn Pavan. I really rooted for them and liked them more in the smuggler/friend relationship in this novel then say Lando Calrissian and Vuffi Raa in the Lando Calrissian books. I was happy to see that while Lorn died that I-Five came back in Battle Surgeons and its sequal that I have not had the pleasure to read yet, coauthored by this author.
    Now why did I get it only a 9, instead of a 10? Well, like in The Phantom Menace to some extent, I can't imagine putting Darth Maul in that many more scenes, but I would have liked it slightly more. I would have loved as well if more of the reasoning behind Darth Maul's hatred of the Jedi were explained not exactly better, but just in more detail. Nonwithstanding that I think this novel and TPM are superb. Also I didn't like the manner of Lorn's death because I personally believe it gives to big a hint that Senator Palptine and Darth Sidious are the same person. I have always believed that at least for the time being no one reading these books will have not put this together for the most part, I think it would be more farsighted so that those who might read the book without seeing all the movies, or for those who have only seen the PT, that the dots not be lined up that close.

3. EwokStromboli

EwokStromboli Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 4, 2004
    8.5/10. Much better than I expected, _Shadow Hunter_ is a fun romp through the armpits of Coruscant. Maul is rather more developed than in _TPM_ (which is to say, we learn at least something about him), and while Darsha and Lorn take a while to come into their own, they do inspire interest by the end. I-Five is, of course, a rather different kind of droid than C3P0, and I like that. We also see that Obi-Wan's investigative skills increase greatly in the decade leading up to _AOTC_. Three comments:

1. I found Lorn's previous occupation ("business relations manager" for the Jedi Temple) to be strangely phrased---it's too much of a contemporary American phrasing, and it sounds quite anachronistic in the GFFA. When I read the line, I immediately imagined Lorn negotiating a deal to get Kit Fisto's mug on the cover of a Wheaties box or something.

2. This is a matter of taste, but there was too much of the "rewind technique"---i.e., the action would play out from one character's POV, then the action would rewind a few moments and the next character's POV scene would bring the story back up to where it stopped previously. If the technique is used sparingly, it can be effective (e.g., the Imperial commando infiltrating the former Imperial Palace sequence in _TTT_), but IMHO it is used much too much in _Shadow Hunter_.

3. This is kind of an unfair criticism since the author needs to sustain suspence for a novel's length, but Maul strikes me as surprisingly . . . well, incompetent. He spends much of his "screen time" chastising himself (rightly so) for not having the job done yet, and he of course almost gets made by Lorn Pavan near the end.

Overall, though, this is an excellent SW novel; I prefer _COD_ in the pre-TPM era, but this was a fun read, too.

4. Stormtrooper_TK-421

Stormtrooper_TK-421 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    10/10
    All I've got to say is: Poor, poor, Hath Monchar.

5. Cloned_Sidious

Cloned_Sidious Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 14, 2004
    I think it is excellent.

6. aPPmaSTer

aPPmaSTer Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2004
    11/10
    Michael Reaves, you should be congratulated for an excellent job!! This book kept me mega-excited to the last page, and the twists and turns at the end were amazingly done. I was actually jumping around my room as I was reading the last few chapters from how unbelievably excited I was, especially the part where Pavan sneaks up on Maul. Damn what an adrenaline rush!

Michael Reaves if you're reading this, WRITE MORE STAR WARS BOOKS PLEASE :D

7. NenYim

NenYim Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 6, 2004
    10 out of 10. It was definitely the best Pre-TPM novel. The different portrayals of Maul were particularily interesting.
    In case anybody wants to know, in the Med-Star duo books that take place in the Clone Wars, I-Five returns and regains his memory.

8. master_organa

master_organa Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 5, 2004
    8. It was interesting.

9. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    I gave it a 9, but I actually give it a 9.5. I loved it. Well written, great view of Darth Maul. But the only thing wrong with it, I don't think that guy could have survived that long.

10. starwarsbeauty

starwarsbeauty Jedi Master star 4

Feb 1, 2005
    9-i thought this was a good book!i am a huge darth maul fan and the fact that they did a book on him was great!michael reaves did a good job!
    starwarsbeauty

11. Frank1212

Frank1212 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 16, 2001
    This is probably my second favorite Star Wars book, behind NJO: Traitor. It had suspense, anguish, humor, drama, and even some romance. The original characters in the book were especially compelling - Lorn, Darsha, and I-Five. The fact that you knew that the heroes wouldn't make it, gave you a sense of sympathy for them. When reading this book, I found myself rooting for the heroes, even though I know that they wouldn't survive. This was the type of book that gave you a sense of sadness and angst after reading it.

12. Darth_Skywalker85

Darth_Skywalker85 Jedi Youngling

Feb 9, 2005
    Just read it and loved it.

13. Darth_Mikkon

Darth_Mikkon Jedi Youngling

Feb 20, 2005
    I thought that DM:SM was a very good book, not only as Star Wars books go (which, from my standpoint, aren't generally that great), but as a well-crafted tale. The action is well-described, and the plot keeps the reader involved even though its ending (and what an ending!) is inevitable. I prefer the movies to the books, and I haven't read all that many EU books except for Vector Prime and Labyrinth of Evil (which ROCKS, btw), but I enjoyed the insight into the minds of Sidious and Maul. I actually thought that Darscha was a rather weak character, though. It also lends more evidence to the idea that Palpatine actually IS Sidious, even though he seems to get wretched awful fast if the EPIII trailer gives any clues. I give this book a 10.

14. ROGUESQUAD

ROGUESQUAD Jedi Master star 4

Oct 27, 2004
    It's a good book.

15. Darth_Thammuz

Darth_Thammuz Jedi Youngling

May 28, 2005
    I'm only about half-way complete with this book, but I am really into the story and enjoying it. I don't think that's going to change. From what I've read, there seems to be a good amount of action at just the right time. As with any book, there is storyline setups and character development.

Off the specific topic of Shadow Hunter, I was looking for a suggestion from any of you as to which book may be a good one to move on to after this one.

I'm more into the "bad guys" like Sith Lords, bounty hunters, etc. but am open to anything to do with Star Wars.

Looking more for books expanding the prequel movies.

Thanks in advance.

16. DarthSnoman

DarthSnoman Jedi Youngling

May 27, 2005
    Just finished the book. The ending really got me. I wasnt expecting that. wow 10

17. sith-22

sith-22 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2005
    It was a good book and the first book of star Wars i have read. I gave it an 8. I wasnt expecting it to end that way either but you knew Maul Wouldnt fail.

18. SarkaVrae

SarkaVrae Jedi Master star 5

Jun 3, 2004
    i loved this book. i thought the fight scenes and high-paced adventure were great. i wish every SW book i read would keep me this excited till the end. Maul was definately much tougher & cooler in this than in TPM. :)

19. Jaina_Rocks160

Jaina_Rocks160 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 18, 2003
    ~~*JESUS LOVES YOU*~~

So...sad...
    I absolutely LOVED this book!
    I was soooo emotional after it. *sniff, sniff*
    I was intoxicated all through the book. At first I didn't have high hopes for it, I've always preferred post-RotJ books over anything before, but I thoroughly enjoyed this novel. Poor characters...die, Maul!!!

~*~*~

20. geofduke

geofduke Jedi Youngling

Jun 17, 2005
    One of the best, if not the best Star Wars book I've read. 9/10

21. JEDY

JEDY Jedi Knight star 5

May 26, 2005
    I gave it a 10 because it kept me turning the pages and the end was great .

22. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    This was the first EU novel I read after Splinter of the Mind's Eye (I had to start with the original).

This book was hard to put down. Terriffic minor characters. Wonderful plot, and nice balance of drama and humor. The depiction of the Nemoidians was perfect. Well paced, and edge-of-your-seat up until the end as other have mentioned. The perfect enhancement to TPM's backstory. Pure Star Wars. This is the book that got me hooked (after episode three sucked me back into all the magic). Maybe Lucas was right about this all along. ;)

23. Qui-Gon-Matt

Qui-Gon-Matt Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2005
    I liked it a lot. I always wanted more of Maul, so this book was perfect for me. I hope they do more back story on him and maybe make some more books about Maul, and his origins, and training.

24. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004

Great book! Great action, characterization was perfect, and I loved the bit at the end with Palpatine. Dialogue was a bit weak but not a great deal and I don't usually like stories where practically every character dies in it but Reaves managed to pull it off without it coming across as depressing. All in all, one of the best Star Wars novels out there!

25. LordRevan19

LordRevan19 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 26, 2005
    10/10

What I realy liked was we got a little back story on Maul and his training

Good Stuff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.